Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Sure if you're a shareholder.
the shareholder are the ones deciding what gets adapted and how, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

the shareholder are the ones deciding what gets adapted and how, so

Doesn't mean I as a consumer have to like it or accept it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it does actually. im gonna hunt you down and force you. be prepared.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll be prepared to hurry uo and wait for the good stuff to get adapted in six or seven years when production schedules allow.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Devastating.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it depends on whether the adaptation is being driven by the source material publisher or someone else. e.g. NHK shows tend to get a lot of seasons/episodes because theyre funded by the NHK as tv programming, they're not trying to sell the manga.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but as a consumer and especially as a foreign consumer it just means a lot of anime is randomly really short and never gets any kind of resolution. and im not just salty because ive read like, three manga/LNs that even got adapted in the first place since the stuff I like seems to be unpopular when it comes to adaptations, or at least ones that ever get subs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I, too, am really bummed that grimgar won't ever get a second season

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey if devil is a part timer can get a mediocre sequel adaptation nine years later anything is possible

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i just want to know if konosuba wins against the demon king

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wish Watamote got another season so we could see the part where Tomoko grows as a person.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ninjewtsu posted:

I, too, am really bummed that grimgar won't ever get a second season

At least the books are available in English, so you can continue with the story if you want to

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kater posted:

i just want to know if konosuba wins against the demon king

based on the first 10 books I'm sure there will be some quirky misunderstanding like the devil king is just someone with a guerilla marketing campaign for an interspecies swap meet or something. anyway the books get translated into English pretty fast

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In fact, the final book has already been translated and released

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Could anyone recommend me a manga based on a person that switches hands? Something like killer 7 but the person just swaps hands for different bodies please.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Annointed posted:

Could anyone recommend me a manga based on a person that switches hands? Something like killer 7 but the person just swaps hands for different bodies please.

Mega Man?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I feel like Midori no Hibi ought to count.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im on holidays for another week and since I went through a bunch of my backlog I ended up watching and dumping quite a few after a few episodes so Im looking to add to my list again. Most of the stuff that I finished ended up being kind of cute or happy stuff so Id like to contrast that a bit. Interested in a more grown up or adult show or movie, just not ones that use sex/violence for shock value. Any genre is fine. The two most recent ones Ive seen that Im kind of looking for more of are Welcome to the NHK and Black Lagoon.

e: I also watched Paprika, Paranoia Agent and Baccano too, so something like those would also work!

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 11, 2022

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Im on holidays for another week and since I went through a bunch of my backlog I ended up watching and dumping quite a few after a few episodes so Im looking to add to my list again. Most of the stuff that I finished ended up being kind of cute or happy stuff so Id like to contrast that a bit. Interested in a more grown up or adult show or movie, just not ones that use sex/violence for shock value. Any genre is fine. The two most recent ones Ive seen that Im kind of looking for more of are Welcome to the NHK and Black Lagoon.

e: I also watched Paprika, Paranoia Agent and Baccano too, so something like those would also work!

Try Kemonozume

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you enjoyed paprika you should check out Satoshi Kon's other movies, especially Perfect Blue

If you liked Black Lagoon you'd probably like Jormungand

And it goes without saying, but Monster is a classic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Important happy note, monster is available on Netflix in the us.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pootybutt posted:

Try Kemonozume

Oh this looks neat.

Julias posted:

If you enjoyed paprika you should check out Satoshi Kon's other movies, especially Perfect Blue

If you liked Black Lagoon you'd probably like Jormungand

And it goes without saying, but Monster is a classic.

I have seen Monster. Perfect Blue is already in the queue to be watched at some point (I think Endorph recommended it to me last time I was looking for a suspense/thriller type movie), but I might bump it up so I can watch it while Im still on holidays.

Jormungand looks right up my alley, though I think I may have seen the first few episodes and forgot to finish it. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

Important happy note, monster is available on Netflix in the us.

Oh gently caress yea, time to forget about it and then binge it half a year from now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

It takes a little bit to build up to it, but I'd recommend the Chinese series Link Click as a very suspenseful murder mystery. Be forewarned though that it ends on a rather nasty cliffhanger and season 2 is confirmed but with no solid date yet.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I don't think Monster is actually available on Netflix any longer. I can find it and add it to my list when I search, but I don't have an option to play the show or view the episode list.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's allegedly gonna be on there January 1, they made the page for it early

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh shoot. Yeah they announced and I saw the page on a quick google. Jan 1st I guess ya mooks.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Okay awesome, I got started on it like 10+ years ago, and it dropped off the service. Excited to try to see the whole thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Michiko & Hatchin good and/or worth watching? What's the "IYL X YWL Y" for it?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's good yes.

Uh it's kind of it's own thing. I guess I would say Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo have some similar aspects but they are very much different shows.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not every show needs to be watched as a direct comparison point to another show. sometimes shows simply, exist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shows or Manga set in a school setting that is emphatically NOT in Japan and deals with a fish out of water Japanese student learning an entirely different social dynamic different from your typical Japanese high school drama?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Shows or Manga set in a school setting that is emphatically NOT in Japan and deals with a fish out of water Japanese student learning an entirely different social dynamic different from your typical Japanese high school drama?

Ketchup Ninja

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

hmmm Was there ever a Yokai Watch show set in the NotAmerica of YW3?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Julias posted:

Ketchup Ninja

A ninja in a strange land, eh? Might be worth a look.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Iirc the author lived in jersey for a while and/or went to high school there as well, so they have a particularly unique style to their series

I won't say it necessarily sticks the landing on everything, but ketchup ninja is a pretty fun ride

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Iirc the author lived in jersey for a while and/or went to high school there as well, so they have a particularly unique style to their series

I won't say it necessarily sticks the landing on everything, but ketchup ninja is a pretty fun ride

This is what I was curious about. I've seen some anime try to do "school in America" for an episode and get it hilariously wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KillHour posted:

This is what I was curious about. I've seen some anime try to do "school in America" for an episode and get it hilariously wrong.

Or America in general. The best is still Excel Saga showing off inner city new york.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some LN I read a while back had a lot to say on the changing culture of Japanese schools having a lot to do with the decline of school cliques in America in the afterword that felt like straight up outsider art or something lol. I couldn't tell if the author thought Hollywood was real life or if it really had been a thing that somehow nobody I'd ever met had experienced. It really didn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It's pretty common for people in japan to assume they know everything about other countries and be incredibly wrong.

Much like how it's pretty common for people outside japan to assume they know everything about japan and be incredibly wrong.