Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wonder how much money Bauer lost in FTX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i had no idea bauer had an academic background in engineering, that definitely makes him the stupidest loving player in baseball in my book

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

ohgod I never thought about this, hope it was a lot

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

i had no idea bauer had an academic background in engineering, that definitely makes him the stupidest loving player in baseball in my book

He also put out a bunch of youtube videos where he talked about pitching in technical physics terms, I blamed the media a lot in my initial post but Bauer also absolutely tried to cultivate an image for himself of being uniquely erudite among players.

Poque posted:

lol is he a cryptobro? Hell what am I saying, of course he's a cryptobro.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

He doesn't have an academic engineering background. He enrolled as a mechanical engineering major and dropped it almost immediately. I was in the same program, at the same school, at the same time.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 8, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

He doesn't have an academic engineering background. He enrolled as a mechanical engineering major and dropped it almost immediately. I was in the same program, at the same school, at the same time.

Well, what’s your four seamer spin rate

Also did you have classes with him

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

How many times do you think he's asked this question to critics in a huff

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Not loving the Correa to SF rumors. He's a good player, but not an elite hitter or transcendent defender. Not a face of the franchise guy and not worth paying big bucks in his decline years to get him. If we're going to overpay someone it should be Carlos Rodon.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Also did you have classes with him

Nope, I'm a year older but the mech/aero major wasn't that big, we would have crossed paths or I would have known someone who did. He may have taken a couple GE courses like calc or physics but I highly, highly doubt he ever took any 100 level classes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
In addition to everything else, Bauer was also *openly* cheating at the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Not loving the Correa to SF rumors. He's a good player, but not an elite hitter or transcendent defender. Not a face of the franchise guy and not worth paying big bucks in his decline years to get him. If we're going to overpay someone it should be Carlos Rodon.

What? He’s absolutely elite defensively

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Pussy Boss posted:

We just watched a team of DHs get within 2 wins of winning the World Series

Defense is very overrated

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sab0921 posted:

I mean, yes, but also so was half the league, lol. Tons of pitchers on pretty much every team were using spider tack or other sticky substances to get a better grip and increase spin rates. It's just that Bauer took it to the extreme in 2020 after trying to call out the Astros using it systemically across their whole rotation, but MLB ignored him and he figured alright then guess I'll cheat too. Hell one of the reasons I saw floated for why the Dodgers potentially went after Bauer was because he'd made a special sticky stuff blend that was even better than spider tack he was sharing with the Reds in 2020, and the Dodgers wanted in on it for their guys.

It seems like the league's decision to reverse course and start trying to crack down on sticky stuff came as a shock to most, and ironically I think it came about because Bauer so brazenly used it to win the Cy in a walk year and leverage that into a record shattering AAV contract.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

We just watched a team of DHs get within 2 wins of winning the World Series

Defense is very overrated

And they lost to an excellent defensive team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVHOjQ1pJU
https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1567632659291193347

The arm that makes Carlos Correa a special shortstop

Correa has the best arm at SS in the league, besides maybe Oneil Cruz, and Cruz isn't nearly as polished. He's also deadly on relay throws and very rangey, which is going to be even more important now. He won the platinum glove one year ago????

And he had a 140 OPS+ last year, wtf do you want.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The impetus of all that sticky stuff bullshit was Bauer's 13 year grudge against Gerrit Cole lmao.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good lord I'm dumb as hell. I spent the last few pages mixing up Mauer and Bauer in my head and was really confused and sad :negative:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

he's still possibly the stupidest player, but good for him not doing engineering at least

edit: Our Perfect Boy and Teammate Carlos is going to the Cubbies, there's literally no way there's a different outcome

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sab0921 posted:

His greatest crime

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

maffew buildings posted:

but good for him not doing engineering at least

MODS

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just loving give Correa 10/320 or whatever already Cubs, who cares. He's only 28 you'll still get 6-7 solid years of him unless the aging curve absolutely hits him like a sack of bricks. The offense needs a shot in the arm something fierce and Correa is the last guy left on the board who can provide it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
You say this with such a defeated tone as if the Cubs aren’t going to trade the worst prospect on planet earth for Bryan Reynolds

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Getting rid of the team's only good bat to sign a 64 ops+ guy who hasn't hit in 4 years.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Everyone knows the smartest player in the MLB is Kyle Hendricks, they even made him a professor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Starting9/status/1600931142194331648

Yeah Jake, about that...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Not as much as Tom Brady lost

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

it's incredible that Touches Down Tom did such a divorced dad speed run and still isn't even CLOSE to being in the running for first or second with Elon and Kanye having their incredible showings

Clarence
May 3, 2012

bravesword posted:

They’ll probably drop below within the next few years though.

Could be this year - over 60 wins needed to stay above .500

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

I mean, yes, but also so was half the league, lol.

And by half the league, you mean 100% of pitchers

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Correa has the best arm at SS in the league, besides maybe Oneil Cruz, and Cruz isn't nearly as polished. He's also deadly on relay throws and very rangey, which is going to be even more important now. He won the platinum glove one year ago????

And he had a 140 OPS+ last year, wtf do you want.

The only knock I have on Correa is hasn't he missed time with a bad back? That's the sort of injury I get nervous about because they tend to only get worse over time. Other than that his age and production have him as clearly the best available SS all off-season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MLBTR reporting on the asking price for Sean Murphy when the Cardinals tried to get it done prior to signing Contreras. The A's wanted Nootbar, Donovan, and the Cards #3 prospect (#79 overall).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sydin posted:

MLBTR reporting on the asking price for Sean Murphy when the Cardinals tried to get it done prior to signing Contreras. The A's wanted Nootbar, Donovan, and the Cards #3 prospect (#79 overall).

The A's aren't a good team to make trades with. They screwed over the yankees pretty good last year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

just once I want one of these guys to drop the bullshit a little and say “yeah I’m here cause this was by far the most money, I wanted that stability. This team still has some work to do but I believe we can compete within the timeframe of my contract”

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/_andrewwiley/status/1600954935797219328

THANK YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

bawfuls posted:

just once I want one of these guys to drop the bullshit a little and say “yeah I’m here cause this was by far the most money, I wanted that stability. This team still has some work to do but I believe we can compete within the timeframe of my contract”

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sydin posted:

I mean, yes, but also so was half the league, lol. Tons of pitchers on pretty much every team were using spider tack or other sticky substances to get a better grip and increase spin rates. It's just that Bauer took it to the extreme in 2020 after trying to call out the Astros using it systemically across their whole rotation, but MLB ignored him and he figured alright then guess I'll cheat too. Hell one of the reasons I saw floated for why the Dodgers potentially went after Bauer was because he'd made a special sticky stuff blend that was even better than spider tack he was sharing with the Reds in 2020, and the Dodgers wanted in on it for their guys.

It seems like the league's decision to reverse course and start trying to crack down on sticky stuff came as a shock to most, and ironically I think it came about because Bauer so brazenly used it to win the Cy in a walk year and leverage that into a record shattering AAV contract.

Is Bauer getting paid right now?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

*Bryan Alvarez voice* BECKHAM TURNER

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

The only knock I have on Correa is hasn't he missed time with a bad back? That's the sort of injury I get nervous about because they tend to only get worse over time. Other than that his age and production have him as clearly the best available SS all off-season.

He's played 280 games in the last 2 years. It's absolutely an ongoing issue but he has a treatment plan that has worked, but yes I understand that as a concern and that's probably a big reason we didn't offer him a big time deal. But he could have 10 more great years, or he could avg. less than a 100 starting next year.

But he's absolutely a transformative player and his leadership and team presence is +++. Like I know it pissed all y'all off but Houston fans loving loved him going full villain gently caress y'all mode and maintaining his swagger when everyone else was miserable and hangdog. It was a miserable time! and he was the only guy sticking up for us - whether you think that's good or not is beside the point, the point is he was the undisputed team leader in '21 and the whole Astros fanbase loved it. He's a six four Adonis with a thousand watt smile. He stands tall in the box coiled like a cobra, he makes eyepopping defensive plays every day and repeatedly came up big time for the Astros in huge spots throughout his career. I get why people hate him but if he's on your team you will not hate him

Red posted:

Is Bauer getting paid right now?

I don't think so and the uncertainty about how much the club is gonna end up owing him, I've read, is a big reason why the Dodgers haven't made any big time moves as they wait to see what happens.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So are the Cubs just giving up on Nico at short or are they planning on moving him to 2B because SS is one of the few positions with good free agents this year?

I'd feel more comfortable without Sampson as our 5th starter, but Stro, Hendricks, Taillon, and Steele are a solid rotation as long as Hendricks isn't dead forever.

Hayden Wesneski looked good for them and I have to think he'll get a shot at making the rotation. They also still have Killian in AAA.

Since the team is going nowhere, I'd prefer them in the rotation over Sampson. But the Cubs have a weird rebuilding formula of giving 30+ year old career minor leaguers a ton of playing time over young guys.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

he has plenty of money and he clearly wants to win a championship, why else would he leave a team that won 101 games for a team that won...

68??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The Twins should throw everything they have at Correa lol.