Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

My ape brain needs to reconfigure how the scroll wheel works because I keep trying to scroll up to go down (because they're dwarves, they *advance* downwards) and getting lost. I could stop being an idiot but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The mouse scroll direction can be rebound, though it called the scroll wheel buttons 4 and 5 for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have no idea if this is true or how you would figure that out

E. Apparently there are translators online and they're right lol

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1600673750281691136?t=5H5DK9LTdCp6zzPbukw3ig&s=19

it's 100% true.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Visions of burning elephants intensify

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I really, really want to see what the Hidden Fun Stuff looks like in the Steam version.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, tutorial put me in a super boring spot. No aquifer to flood my base, no predatory fauna, abundant food and drink. I popped the caverns, and now I've got about 25 monster hunters on hand, and about 50 dwarfs. Aside from learning a few more systems, should I just go somewhere more exciting or are there things I can do for Fun?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

carticket posted:

So, tutorial put me in a super boring spot. No aquifer to flood my base, no predatory fauna, abundant food and drink. I popped the caverns, and now I've got about 25 monster hunters on hand, and about 50 dwarfs. Aside from learning a few more systems, should I just go somewhere more exciting or are there things I can do for Fun?
Dig down.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nessus posted:

Dig down.

I dug a staircase to -100 and didn't hit anything other than the cavern around 5. I don't have a sense of scale for how far "down" is.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've dug a stairwell down to level -80 and still not hit any caverns.

And now I had my first crash, probably a few days before the next autosave.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have no idea if this is true or how you would figure that out

E. Apparently there are translators online and they're right lol

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1600673750281691136?t=5H5DK9LTdCp6zzPbukw3ig&s=19

I'm eternally happy that Boatmurdered is basically my one and only contribution to the internet

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm eternally happy that Boatmurdered is basically my one and only contribution to the internet

Oh poo poo, we post with legends

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StarkRavingMad posted:

i read it again recently and it's surprisingly short , given its cultural impact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apparently using the island type world gen can hide the caverns way deeper? hosed up if true.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Are we still doing gang tags for stories? A giant winged slug with webs broke in through the newly breached caverns, slaughtering 52 dwarves (including five of my starting seven) and a cat, before being put down by an undertrained and underequipped militia of mostly recruits. Most of the survivors made it through the traumatic event without too much trauma except for my miner Medtob, who lost all but two of his friends and his lover Sarvesh in the massacre. Over the years he retreated further and further into his work, refusing to meet his needs for time with friends and family by socializing at all, and ended up in prison or beaten on six different occasions for lashing out at anybody who dared come close enough to try and help him. Three years nearly to the day after the death of his lover, Medtob, now a legendary miner, threw a wooden cup at a visiting human caravan guard, who in one smooth motion batted it out of the air with her axe and beheaded him. Etosp Ugot the Forgotten Beast claimed its final victim, but the newly designated mountainhome Rigothdural stands strong, now home to over three times as many dwarves as it had before the disaster.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Raw stones don't though. Blocks are the processed ones.

I wasn't the most clear but in the original post I was asking both how to (1)get my haulers to put stone blocks into bins and (2)get my haulers to move uncut stones into the stockpile. I've got 'em both figured out now though. I didn't realize that each stockpile is capped to 1 Wheelbarrow by default and that you need to raise the limit to get multiple in use. That made hauling stones much easier/faster. And finishing up hauling tasks in general lead to the blocks being places in bins, I guess "merge stacks" is just a lower priority than "put thing in stockpile"

e: I can understand how in ascii the stones being there wasn't a big deal but drat, looking at them all over my fortress is like the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me :sweatdrop:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

carticket posted:

I dug a staircase to -100 and didn't hit anything other than the cavern around 5. I don't have a sense of scale for how far "down" is.

Just keep going. Don't worry, Fun will find you.

poo poo gets real around -160, but that varies depending on worldgen

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 8, 2022

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can you still set stockpiles based on item quality? I can't find an option.

I want an "all" one that sucks up artifacts so they stop showing up in bins I take to the trade depot

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
In the steam version, what’s the right way to make a stair down on an undug floor above, with an up/down stair below it? So far my attempts have all been met with an inaccessible down stair designation on the upper floor and a down stair below it. It’s been a while since I’ve played the game, but don’t remember ever having this problem in the pre-steam versions.

Also, how do I decide deconstruct the unusable ramp I built trying to fix this situation? There appears to be no designate for deconstruction anymore, and clicking it doesn’t give me the buttons other things I’ve wanted to break down have.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How do I stop a recipe/work order from using a specific material?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nosre posted:

Can you still set stockpiles based on item quality? I can't find an option.

I want an "all" one that sucks up artifacts so they stop showing up in bins I take to the trade depot

build pedestals and put all your artifacts in the dining hall

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

My now 3 year old fortress "ChamberBurials" in "The World of Soul" has, so far, been good to me. The elves pulled through and came with a tame giant leopard, which I hope will live long enough for the elves to find me another for a breeding pair.

After 250 years it's still The Age of Myth, so I assume I'll eventually get my comeuppance.

I didn't play much of whichever version introduced taverns and temples, so most of my struggles and dwarven depression has been with realizing that I need to give them places to play and worship, instead of just putting them in a luxurious 3x3 room and leaving them to their own devices. Figuring out how to designate a temple led me down a rabbit hole of this world's religion, which almost entirely centers around Arist Punchfights, a dwarven goddess of revenge, trade, and wealth.

70 of my 104 dwarves worship her directly, and the other few dozen appear to also do so, but via some other sects that have combined her with other traits.

Arist has spent the last 100 years cursing dozens of people in the region to either vampirism or were-creatures. The only thing in her log that isn't cursing people is when books get written glorifying her deeds, which I assume got passed along, because there are literally over 50 religious sects devoted to her, almost all of which have some aspect of combat in the name.

This isn't even all of them, I have to scroll on the legends page.

I have now made it this settlement's goal to build a temple worthy of Her Grace. I feel like a golden kill pit with windows leading to the trade depot would make for a good starter.

(I'll take a gangtag)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

chglcu posted:

In the steam version, what’s the right way to make a stair down on an undug floor above, with an up/down stair below it? So far my attempts have all been met with an inaccessible down stair designation on the upper floor and a down stair below it. It’s been a while since I’ve played the game, but don’t remember ever having this problem in the pre-steam versions.

Also, how do I decide deconstruct the unusable ramp I built trying to fix this situation? There appears to be no designate for deconstruction anymore, and clicking it doesn’t give me the buttons other things I’ve wanted to break down have.

You can dig stairs downwards as many floors as you'd like in one go. Click a spot, mousewheel down a few floors, click again. If a lower floor doesn't have a staircase leading up, you can add one with Build -> Constructions -> Stairs (click on the lower floor, mousewheel up a floor, click again)
As far as I can tell you can only mine stairs downward and you can only construct stairs upward
You don't have to do anything special to get a 'double stairs' that goes up and down other than have stairs leading up on that tile, and stairs leading up from the tile below.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 8, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, simply smoothing walls wasn't working for stopping the leaks of my two layer aquifer
... Wait, did that ever work?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Never tried the game until the Steam release, here is the tale of my first non-tutorial fortress (my tutorial fortress was flooded when I dug into the river like everyone else).

Heatcave was booming, got up to 65 citizens at its peak, and digging up lots of riches from below. In Spring of my second year I managed to find the cavern down on z-level -60 and set about plundering its resources. My initial militia was commanded by a coward who refused to pick up a weapon whenever she was drafted, and eventually met her fate during battle with the first Bat Man that came up from the cavern. Her second in command, Bim the necromancer, dispatched the creature and was promoted to militia commander. He was then immediately voted in as mayor!

Everything was going great until the werelizard showed up.

Mayor Bim leads from the front and took his militia into battle with the creature in the stockpile room. They killed it much quicker than I expected given the big buildup and the "fear the night" popup and such. I thought wow that wasn't bad at all.

Until the next full moon. Where 8 of my dwarves transformed into werelizards and proceeded to gently caress poo poo up. We lost 39 dwarves in the massacre since most of the curse-afflicted were dancing in the tavern at the time. All of the werelizards were dispatched except for a couple who turned back into dwarves and acted like nothing happened. In my newbishness, I neglected to keep track of who is still a werelizard and they all went about their day. Then the second were-incident occured, where we had 6 transformations and 21 casualties. I smartened up and exiled the werelizards who survived the fight after they turned back, and figured that was the end of it. Our numbers were devastated from the bustling community just a few weeks prior. The final incident, my remaining werelizard transformed and killed a goose and a stray dog, turned back, and was exiled.

Down to only 4 dwarves and having had 3 mayoral elections in quick succession during the werelizard outbreak, I was on the verge of abandoning the fort and restarting but I wanted to see how the 4 remaining could fare. Soon we had a migration of 29 new dwarves! Welcome to hell, here's a mop and a bucket. We have a lot of blood, vomit, and corpses to clean up. Get to work.

I learned about ghosts since we had just dumped 50-odd bodies into a dump zone instead of burying them. They had a tendency to possess my mayor and force him to fist fight my livestock. Built an entire factory room dedicated to engraved slabs to try and quell the spiritual turbulence.

Then we cracked open a part of the cavern housing roughly 30 Bat Men who flooded up into our warrens and I sent every able bodied dwarf after them to no avail.

I finally abandoned the fort when it was nothing but 5 children, an ox, and horrifying miasma in every room.

This game rules. Can I have a gang tag?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can dig stairs downwards as many floors as you'd like in one go. Click a spot, mousewheel down a few floors, click again. If a lower floor doesn't have a staircase leading up, you can add one with Build -> Constructions -> Stairs
You don't have to do anything special to get a 'double stairs' that goes up and down other than have stairs leading up on that tile, and stairs leading up from the tile below.

That's what I did, and they never dug the upper floor. I was trying to build a single tile three level staircase. They put a down stair on the middle level, an up stair on the bottom, and never touched the top level, just left it designated as a future down stair, but inaccessible. The game also didn't let me construct stairs on top of those down stairs to try to fix things.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's so weird to see a patch on Steam for Dwarf Fortress.

quote:

Tarn here!

This is a quick release mainly to handle a widescreen crash and some menu issues there. With that stabilized, we'll be able to start properly addressing the reports and feedback we've collected for a bulkier patch next. Thanks for a wonderful launch!

Major bug fixes
Fixed crash from compressed menu lists (e.g. workshop assignment) on widescreen default settings
Changed init option for interface pixel width to be a percentage (to fix many widescreen menu issues)
Stopped fishing from hugely amplifying creature agitation in the wilds (zeroed general agitation level in old saves)

Graphics additions/changes
Improved images for planned walls, floors, and fortifications
Updated doors, hatches, chests, and other containers so that palettes will affect handles and other add-ons if the mods desire it, but made the default behavior consistently not palettize these add-ons
Missing occupied animal trap images included

-Tarn

P.S.
Editor's note from Kitfox: this will help MANY of the crashes ya'll are experiencing. Basically anytime it crashed in a menu, I suspect this version will fix it. There's still a few less common bugs of course, so we know we have lots of work left, but I suspect this will make it MUCH more stable for those of you who were having trouble and weren't using 1920x1080 resolutions. Thank you for your patience thus far.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I think you need to link the workshop to a specific stockpile and then forbid the material in that stockpile.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
It took me a full day to notice that they removed the building designer/architect labors

I will not miss them

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Alright, it's time for me to share my dwarven story for my gangtag. I've not got anything particularly interesting in the Steam version yet, so I will tell the tale of my longest-running fortress, Ringedtowers, which succumbed to crippling FPS death after 120 years of accumulated wealth, socks, and corpses brought my computer to its knees. Ringedtowers was built straddling a barren mountain biome and a barren rocky wasteland, no surface vegetation of any sort, with a stream running across the map, dividing the mountain from the flats. Knowing there would be no trees to chop, I had planned carefully, bringing extra logs, but also took advantage of how particular dwarves get about bringing a single barrel for each different type of meat, ensuring I had an ample supply of booze containers once I set up a kitchen and cooked all the meats into meals. The initial excavation into the mountainside was done at "ground" level, an easy hike from the flatlands, but I had Big Plans for the true entrance, and once the staples of living were set up, I began work on constructing the Towers.

Four towers, linked by a straight 3-wide elevated road for the caravans and citizens, but in times of warfare a lever would be thrown, and the straightforward path would be blocked, and an alternate path in would be opened: the Rings. The Rings were a very long series of narrow floors and ramps that would snake around under the towers, crossing back and forth, almost haphazardly, to make the journey of any would-be invader take much, much longer. The Rings, and the elevated road they went under, were also very high off the ground, about 10+ or so z-levels, and every other tile along the path on the Rings was equipped with a weapons trap loaded to the gills with serrated discs (this was before trap weapons could take damage and break.) The discs were made of simple glass (there was plenty of sand available), as it wasn't necessarily the direct damage of the traps I cared about, but the sheer number of them encouraging invaders to try and dodge their attacks... inevitably falling a long way down, breaking bones and shattering skulls. Sometimes a dodger would get lucky and only suffer bruises, but their only option was to climb back up and try to navigate the Rings once again. The traps were so effective that every goblin siege was defeated simply by allowing them to throw themselves at the Rings until their spirits were broken and they fled. It never rained in the wastes, so the ground beneath the Rings was a sea of blood and bones, and after every siege my dwarves would swarm out through the original "service entrance" to collect their weapons and armor to melt down. Over the years we built up such an extensive supply of copper I decided it was time to embark on another megaproject: the Dragon.

The Dragon was to be a 10+ Z-level statue of a dragon perched on a low pedestal, capable of belching forth magma from its mouth with the pull of a lever. Before beginning construction in-game, I built a physical model out of Lego blocks to plan out the voxel setup, and soon abandoned the automated magma idea due to it involving too much flammable material (wooden axles) in such a cramped space, plus by now the FPS had begun to tank and I didn't need fluid dynamics adding to the strain. Nevertheless, I pressed on! The copper blocks for producing the Dragon were generated as it was being erected, construction would take five years. During this time I had a severe plague of ravens constantly harassing my workers, and there were half a dozen casualties from workers dodging off of scaffolding to evade their bites only to fall to their deaths on the pedestal, as well as one or two that perished from removing the wrong piece of scaffolding and sending themselves hurtling to the ground. Every victim was given a grand burial, as well as a carved memorial slab erected at the Dragon's feet. We indirectly got our revenge on the ravens by capturing a breeding pair, domesticating them, and producing our own flock which roosted at the tops of the Towers. From there, though, it was only a matter of time before all the clutter, blood, corpses, and insane pathfinding strain brought the fortress to the inevitable FPS death, as I abandoned the fortress to the mists of time and memory, their accomplishments living on in my heart, and a ZIP file I still have long since lost.

Godspeed, Miners. Rock and Stone.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

build pedestals and put all your artifacts in the dining hall

That's another way yea, but I liked having a dwarfy treasure vault of artifacts 100 levels deep

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if releasing to Steam means we will be getting regular smaller updates/fixes instead of the longer gaps between releases over the past few years.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It doesn't seem possible, I've only found how to do the inverse: make a recipe using a specific material.

E: Dear god a kea just ripped the throat out of one of my guard dogs.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Yeah for workshops try to give them thier own stockpiles requesting specific materials like the poster above said, also in the labour menu (y) there is a kitchen tab where you can disallow things from being cooked, and another tab that does similar for stone usage.

E- After some clicking around it seems like you might be able to put a custom condition on a work order as well, because they allow you to specify types of material beyond just generic 'rock' or whatever. If you know how much of a thing you've got you can get the work order to only trigger when you have more or less of certain materials, which lets you prioritize some things over others, a couple of different work orders in different priorities with the right conditions can save you a lot of time in the long run, there's quite a lot you can do with the conditions but I was never very good at using them. I think DFHack made some of this a little easier but I might be misremembering.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 8, 2022

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arrath posted:

It doesn't seem possible, I've only found how to do the inverse: make a recipe using a specific material.

E: Dear god a kea just ripped the throat out of one of my guard dogs.

:parrot::nz::parrot: (neither of these are keas but close enough)

Can't wait to lose my entire weekend to learning the basics of this game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Bloody Pom posted:

:parrot::nz::parrot: (neither of these are keas but close enough)

Can't wait to lose my entire weekend to learning the basics of this game.

Speaking of, I actually caught some kakapo in cage traps and my civ now knows A Little Bit about kakapo training. :parrot:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

nielsm posted:

I've dug a stairwell down to level -80 and still not hit any caverns.

And now I had my first crash, probably a few days before the next autosave.

keep in mind the caverns are not a gap across the entire breadth and width of the map you may have just dug thru one of the solid sections of the 'cavern' level

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
76 minutes into the game and I've abandoned two forts, including one where half my dwarves got brutally murdered by a couple yaks 30 seconds into the tutorial, making it impossible to do anything since my miner died and the UI was still locked down.

The second one I had the bright idea to sic my axedwarf on a crocodile that was a little too close for comfort.

The crocodile escaped unscathed, though mildly traumatized.

10/10 would abandon more forts

(A gang tag would be much appreciated.)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just saw that the "choose noble status symbol" menu give you a list of the most expensive items in your fortress. It is not what I was expecting:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dumb question but is kitfox a person or an entity/company/team?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mirthless posted:

It took me a full day to notice that they removed the building designer/architect labors

I will not miss them

I think that's what Masons and Carpenters do now. Masons if they're made of stone, Carpenters do it for wooden buildings.

I think.

EDIT Oh hell yeah, thanks for the tag SNU

Khanstant posted:

dumb question but is kitfox a person or an entity/company/team?

Small dev/publisher! Not more than ten folks at most. They deal with Steam and hiring contractors for sprite work etc. The game is still all Tarn and Zach.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/tanyaxshort/status/1600914913157079042

Good to see that even after being nerfed, the carps still find a way to kill you.