Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FlapYoJacks posted:

And it worked. It sends the message that other countries can do the same and use Americans as loot bags.

Okay, is your solution to the problem to let the woman rot in a prison camp for a decade on clearly trumped up charges(assuming that they don't just keep finding reasons to keep holding her once her sentence is served)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Didn't the US give NK something for Wrambler even though they basically killed him? IDK if this is anything new.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Crows Turn Off posted:

There are hundreds of monopolies in the US that need to be broken up. I guess Microsoft didn't donate enough money to the right people.

This is about preventing a merger rather than breaking up an existing business. Biden's DOJ has actually been fairly aggressive in anti-trust pursuits. They currently have cases open against Apple, Meta, Ticket Master, Google, and Microsoft.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or do you think that tourists in the US should suffer Texas criminal penalties for weed because It’s Are Cuntree?

You think this is primarily a US concept? I'm not aware of anywhere in the world this isn't the standard, aside from cases like SOFA agreements between NATO militaries and host governments or diplomatic immunity.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

And it worked. It sends the message that other countries can do the same and use Americans as loot bags.

Should the US have left her in prison for 9 years to send this message?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Should the US have left her in prison for 9 years to send this message?

To not break the law in other countries? I understand it’s trumped up punishment but she did break the law. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FlapYoJacks posted:

To not break the law in other countries? I understand it’s trumped up punishment but she did break the law. :shrug:

Professional spooks have more empathy than you, good Lord. It is the responsibility of a nation to care for its citizens, what the hell else are they for?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump released his 2024 America First policy agenda.

A lot of it is just repeats from 2016, but here's the highlights:

- Move the FBI and IRS headquarters out of D.C. and to a state with cheaper real estate.

- Eliminate the federal employee union.

quote:

It also calls for a dramatic reshaping of the federal workforce that would eliminate civil service protections and turn government workers into at-will employees who can be let go “for any non-discriminatory reason, with no external appeals,”

- Mandatory national voter ID and other voting restrictions.

quote:

new federal restrictions on voting, including requiring that all ballots be returned to elections officials by the end of Election Day, eliminating drop boxes and requiring that voters sign affidavits for absentee ballot applications affirming they are incapable of voting on Election Day.

- Allow certain "extremists" into the U.S. military (seriously).

quote:

to help with military recruitment, the group says the Department of Defense should “review and and revise” its definition of what constitutes domestic “extremism.”

- Mandatory death sentence for convicted drug dealers and human traffickers.

- Build the border wall.

- Open all federal lands to drilling.

- Repeal Obamacare, subsidize non-profits, businesses, and religious groups to provide community health care plans like Farm Bureaus and faith co-ops, issue waivers to allow states to determine what qualifies as "essential coverage" on health insurance, and broaden the ability for states to determine Medicaid eligibility.

- Implement a national school voucher plan.

- Mandate that schools and teachers share all curriculum, educational standards, and lesson plans with all current and prospective parents in a timely and user-friendly manner.

- Create efficient processes by which parents can challenge materials that are age-inappropriate or otherwise unsuitable for public school classrooms.

- Advocate for Teaching the Truth About America’s History

- Ensure no current or future policies link federal education funding to the teaching of revisionist history, bigotry, or any other dishonest teaching.

- Ensure that public schools teach core texts in American political development—including the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States, the Emancipation Proclamation, and others—and that students demonstrate basic civic literacy as a condition of graduation.

- Ensure that no child in public school be compelled or directed to adopt or express belief in or support for bigotry or a revisionist history of America’s founding.

- Restore the Rule of Law by prioritizing aggressive enforcement of existing criminal laws and strict interpretation of those laws.

- Declare Antifa a domestic terrorist organization because its goal is to destroy our constitutional government through violence.

- Carry out a nationwide crackdown on theft and violent crime through strong penalties and strong prosecution.

- Protect the victims of crime through victim’s assistance programs, such as local domestic violence shelters, child advocacy centers, rape crisis centers, homicide support groups, and elder abuse programs at the state and federal level.

- Promote Respect for Law Enforcement

- Support enhanced penalties for assaults on law enforcement officers, especially assaults on officers when they are performing their duties.

- Support increases in pay for law enforcement officers.

- Prioritize supplemental funding for small and rural law enforcement agencies that are often under-resourced.

- Support a constitutional amendment to implement term limits for congress.

- Implement a lifetime ban on lobbying for federal employees.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1600939773178351641

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 8, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

FlapYoJacks posted:

Would you say the same thing to a Saudi gay person at the gallows and would you include the shrug emoji.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

That's been known since at least the 70s. You've absolutely lost the plot when your argument is that everyone involved in the spy game between two exploitive empires should be acting morally just.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think for me and a lot of other left learners, what rankles here is there are plenty of Americans jailed overseas for unjust laws and being famous isn’t an advantage they have, and it reflects in the fact that they’re still in jail and the state department isn’t looking to trade any arms dealers for them.

This just is further evidence for the class-based society we gotta live in, made very plain by who gets all the stops pulled out for them vs who does not.

Be famous, be rich, or be hosed, is how they maybe wrote it in the constitution.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Would you say the same thing to a Saudi gay person at the gallows and would you include the shrug emoji.

Are you comparing choosing to bring weed into a country where it’s illegal vs someone who is born genetically different? That’s incredibly disingenuous.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Professional spooks have more empathy than you, good Lord. It is the responsibility of a nation to care for its citizens, what the hell else are they for?

The US Embassy won’t do poo poo for you except maybe point you to a lawyer if you got caught with that in allied country Turkey, which had similar penalties for concentrated THC. Additionally, I think the idea that a nation is responsible for caring for its citizens is historically controversial enough that it can’t be taken as a given.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Move the FBI and IRS headquarters out of D.C. and to a state with cheaper real estate.

To private land leased from himself in perpetuity, presumably

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm happy the US was able to do more for her than the UK has been able to do for its citizens put to death for drug charges. I like states acting for a clear moral good even if its technically against the law.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Are you comparing choosing to bring weed into a country where it’s illegal vs someone who is born genetically different? That’s incredibly disingenuous.

Does it matter? You've been very clear. Disobey a nation's laws, pay their price. :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

No law was broken, it was enforced and honored at all stages. I'm not sure what the basis of your law and order complaints is here. Do you consider it an affront to justice that she didn't serve all 9 years even though it was the authority that ordered that in the first place instead accepting a prisoner exchange? Are you taking the mutually exclusive positions of the charges being obvious bullshit and it being bullshit that she didn't have to spend 9 years in a penal colony?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

I'm happy the US was able to do more for her than the UK has been able to do for its citizens put to death for drug charges. I like states acting for a clear moral good even if its technically against the law.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that anyone involved in this was making a decision based on morality. The "moral" thing and what the US wanted just happened to align in this case. No one is motivated or aiming for morality or doing the right thing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Does it matter? You've been very clear. Disobey a nation's laws, pay their price. :shrug:

Yeah it really does matter. One is a choice, the other isn’t. What on earth is this argument?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

We don't have to accept other countries' laws as just and doing so basically goes against modern understandings of human rights

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

selec posted:

I think for me and a lot of other left learners, what rankles here is there are plenty of Americans jailed overseas for unjust laws and being famous isn’t an advantage they have, and it reflects in the fact that they’re still in jail and the state department isn’t looking to trade any arms dealers for them.

This just is further evidence for the class-based society we gotta live in, made very plain by who gets all the stops pulled out for them vs who does not.

Be famous, be rich, or be hosed, is how they maybe wrote it in the constitution.

I mean Griner has clearly received significant coverage over this, but it's hardly the first time this has happened. A random teacher got snatched in Japan for having her adderall prescription in 2015, and that one had the ambassador personally involved: https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2015/03/released_oregon_woman_says_in.html

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

haveblue posted:

To private land leased from himself in perpetuity, presumably

Maybe this is on the presumption of some legal theory that if they're on State land they'll be easier for Trump to gently caress with

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

We don't have to accept other countries' laws as just and doing so basically goes against modern understandings of human rights

I wonder if this is how the people in charge justified making it impossible (and illegal) to prosecute US citizens for war crimes in the ICC.

None of that poo poo matters, in the end. It’s just money and power, and Griner had enough of those supporting her to get her out. Your rear end gets slung into the pokey in Turkey, they aren’t trading anyone for you. Imagine the US giving up Gulen to free a backpacker caught with some hash. Laughable!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah it really does matter. One is a choice, the other isn’t. What on earth is this argument?

The laws in Saudi are pretty clear and they violated them anyways, as the wise person once said. :shrug:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kalli posted:

I mean Griner has clearly received significant coverage over this, but it's hardly the first time this has happened. A random teacher got snatched in Japan for having her adderall prescription in 2015, and that one had the ambassador personally involved: https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2015/03/released_oregon_woman_says_in.html

Not random enough to not have powerful people in her corner:

quote:

Loren Podwill, her stepfather, a top attorney at prominent West Coast law firm Bullivant Houser Bailey, played tactical ringleader for the family -- which is close-knit, being that a good friend of Podwill's married Carrie Russell's father, John, after John and Jill divorced. The former couple, who adopted Carrie Russell as an infant, remain close.

Find me a case where you don’t have powerful, wealthy people supporting you back home and I might be convinced! This is not that case.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

- Mandatory death sentence for convicted human traffickers.

drat, he really is going after DeSantis

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maybe this is on the presumption of some legal theory that if they're on State land they'll be easier for Trump to gently caress with

It's just a way to "get the staff out of liberal D.C. and recruit among real America" and as punishment for the current employees who have to move or quit.

He did the same thing with the Bureau of Land Management when he was President and it was ultimately moved back, but he forced everyone at the agency to move to rural Colorado or resign.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Trump released his 2024 America First policy agenda.

A lot of it is just repeats from 2016, but here's the highlights:

- Eliminate the federal employee union.

- Mandatory national voter ID and other voting restrictions.

- Allow certain "extremists" into the U.S. military (seriously).

- Mandatory death sentence for convicted drug dealers and human traffickers.

- Build the border wall.

- Open all federal lands to drilling.

- Repeal Obamacare, subsidize non-profits, businesses, and religious groups to provide community health care plans like Farm Bureaus and faith co-ops, issue waivers to allow states to determine what qualifies as "essential coverage" on health insurance, and broaden the ability for states to determine Medicaid eligibility.

- Implement a national school voucher plan.

- Mandate that schools and teachers share all curriculum, educational standards, and lesson plans with all current and prospective parents in a timely and user-friendly manner.

- Create efficient processes by which parents can challenge materials that are age-inappropriate or otherwise unsuitable for public school classrooms.

- Advocate for Teaching the Truth About America’s History

- Ensure no current or future policies link federal education funding to the teaching of revisionist history, bigotry, or any other dishonest teaching.

- Ensure that public schools teach core texts in American political development—including the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States, the Emancipation Proclamation, and others—and that students demonstrate basic civic literacy as a condition of graduation.

- Ensure that no child in public school be compelled or directed to adopt or express belief in or support for bigotry or a revisionist history of America’s founding.

- Restore the Rule of Law by prioritizing aggressive enforcement of existing criminal laws and strict interpretation of those laws.

- Declare Antifa a domestic terrorist organization because its goal is to destroy our constitutional government through violence.

- Carry out a nationwide crackdown on theft and violent crime through strong penalties and strong prosecution.

- Protect the victims of crime through victim’s assistance programs, such as local domestic violence shelters, child advocacy centers, rape crisis centers, homicide support groups, and elder abuse programs at the state and federal level.

- Promote Respect for Law Enforcement

- Support enhanced penalties for assaults on law enforcement officers, especially assaults on officers when they are performing their duties.

- Support increases in pay for law enforcement officers.

- Prioritize supplemental funding for small and rural law enforcement agencies that are often under-resourced.

- Support a constitutional amendment to implement term limits for congress.

- Implement a lifetime ban on lobbying for federal employees.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1600939773178351641

so its a bunch of generic right wing poo poo mixed with dumb brain worms that trump and other fascist dipshits like. also still wanting to repeal obamacare. Its not just the massagers the U40 and suburbs dislike, its that the messages suck poo poo too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lolling a little bit that buried in that heap of right-wing bait is the huge evangelical bugaboo of a mark of the beast national ID card

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

Like who?

The issue is that someone like Brittany Griner is high enough profile to get publicity. Who are you referring to that is stuck in prison in a foreign country that the US should be trading people for?

I ask this because I have seen the US go to lengths to get people out of North Korean prisons, as an example, even though they weren't rich or famous.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Wait, why is it disingenuous? They broke the law!

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 8, 2022

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

FlapYoJacks posted:

"Choosing to engage in behavior that is unlawful", then. Engaging in a sex act with someone of the same sex can be construed as a choice. Having sex while unmarried or outside of your marriage (recently outlawed in Indonesia) is a choice. Saying something bad about the King of Thailand or Khamenei in Iran. All of these are individual acts that are unlawful, but in our culture those laws are seen as obviously unjust. Would you permit a prisoner swap for US citizens who engaged in these acts and were jailed or sentenced to death as a result?

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 8, 2022

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what does "if push came to shove" even mean in this context? they threatened to go on strike and they won

A union voting to authorize a strike doesn't necessarily mean a strike is imminent. It means the members approve a strike if the bargaining committee deems negotiations aren't going anywhere.

The railroad workers were actually at the point negotiations were stuck on the issue of sick days and the strike was imminent.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
with respect to bringing legal prescriptions into other countries, even if you are staying in the airport to grab a connecting flight, always check the national and local drug laws and make sure you are compliant. If necessary, do all relevant notification and paperwork prior to entering that country and keep that info on you at all times. Even if you do this it's no guarantee you won't be arrested, especially in countries with harsh drug laws and enforcement, where foreigners are particularly targeted.

Generally, do not bring supplements or grey area/market substances with you.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Like who?

The issue is that someone like Brittany Griner is high enough profile to get publicity. Who are you referring to that is stuck in prison in a foreign country that the US should be trading people for?

I don’t think we should be trading for anybody. Seems weird that we would do that, but the rich and powerful get up to all sorts of poo poo I think is stupid.

Here’s a list of some Americans held abroad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_people_imprisoned_abroad?wprov=sfti1

But there are plenty of Americans serving time in foreign jails you or I never hear about, which illustrates my point: Griner is getting Important Person treatment, which the majority of Americans don’t and never will get. It’s just my perpetual hobby horse: the ruling class are coddled and given privileges and passes we aren’t.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
sounds like there's another guy in Russia being detained for weed

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

I don’t think we should be trading for anybody. Seems weird that we would do that, but the rich and powerful get up to all sorts of poo poo I think is stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_people_imprisoned_abroad?wprov=sfti1

But there are plenty of Americans serving time in foreign jails you or I never hear about, which illustrates my point: Griner is getting Important Person treatment, which the majority of Americans don’t and never will get. It’s just my perpetual hobby horse: the ruling class are coddled and given privileges and passes we aren’t.

Got it. I see where you and I disagree.

I think everyone, rich or poor, should get the level of support and intervention that rich basketball players get.

I disagree with the position that nobody should.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

selec posted:

I think there needs to be a distinction drawn between people "serving time in foreign jails" and people held unjustly. I agree that the rich, powerful, and well-connected have a leg up on everyone else when it comes to getting out of foreign jails, but I mean... rich, powerful, and well-connected people are a whole lot more likely to 1) travel abroad in the first place, 2) assume that the rules don't apply to them, and 3) represent targets that other governments can use as bargaining chips with the US. I would be surprised if there were a significant number of Americans held abroad that we "never hear about" whose sentences we would culturally find unjust. I don't know it for sure, I'm just saying it would surprise me.

The wikipedia page serves to help confirm my suspicions. Anybody can add names to that list, and the media loves these stories. Do you really think that if your loved one was in jail abroad unjustly you wouldn't add them to the wiki list? Or contact journalists to get the story out? I mean, maybe that happens all the time, but it seems pretty unlikely.

This here study suggests that since 2001, "only" 153 Americans have been unjustly jailed abroad. I know that when it's your person, the volume is completely irrelevant. But in abstract terms, that's just not that many and I think bringing them home should be one of our government's priorities. The US government does terrible poo poo all the time. Releasing an arms dealer is nowhere near the top of the list, and at least in cases like this, there's some good that comes from it.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 8, 2022

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

WNBA players are not part of "the ruling class" lmao

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

selec posted:

Literally the third person in this list is a random dude freed in a prisoner swap with the Taliban in September. A bunch of the dudes imprisoned in Venezuela were just freed last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A federal judge has asked the court to hold Trump in contempt for not turning over classified documents:
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-justice-dept-asks-judge-hold-trump-team-contempt-documents-probe-washington-2022-12-08/

So he will just appeal this to the supreme court I'm assuming right?