Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Animal-Mother posted:

Does playing it upset Kim? :ohdear:

If I recall he says something Kimmy like it’s a waste of time when you first fire it up, but gets into it as you play and is very impressed if you do well.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Does playing it upset Kim? :ohdear:

If you play it real good you actually impress him

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/lawsuit-against-zaum-majority-shareholder-withdrawn

Lawsuit against ZA/UM majority shareholder withdrawn
Studio says Kaur Kender's case against it will not move forward in Estonian courts

ZA/UM partner and Disco Elysium producer Kaur Kender has withdrawn a lawsuit against Tütreke, the company's majority shareholder.

News of Kender's lawsuit surfaced last month, claiming that ZA/UM CEO Ilmar Kompus had "cheated" him out of €1 million as part of a larger plot to acquire control of the studio.

ZA/UM tells GamesIndustry.biz that Kender's claims will not move forward in Estonia courts, and provided a statement from Kompus. The studio could not provide a reason for Kender's withdrawal.

"The facts and the law led to this outcome," Kompus says. "We are pleased that Kender and his attorneys have chosen to withdraw their lawsuit – one that should never have been filed in the first place. Their decision affirms there was no basis for their accusations and that I have acted appropriately and responsibly, as underscored by the corporate records I provided."

The case is tied to several allegations made by Kender and ZA/UM shareholders Robert Kurvitz and Alexander Rostov, two Disco Elysium creators that were allegedly forced out of the company last year.

The trio made claims that Tütreke, a shell company operated by Kompus, was used as a "vehicle" for the CEO to "illegally" acquire the majority stake in ZA/UM.

They accused Kompus of purchasing concept art for a Disco Elysium sequel via Tütreke, four sketches were allegedly bought for €1 and then re-sold to ZA/UM for €4.8 million, paid for with cash reserved for the studio and the new project.

Kurvitz also filed a lawsuit in Estonia against ZA/UM via his own separate company, Telomer. A court date for the case was set for November 28, but ZA/UM was unable to provide an update on the suit's progression.

Update: The Estonian Ekspress reports that Kompus and Tütreke has paid the €4.8 million back to ZA/UM.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lol so the fraud case was dropped because he gave the money back huh.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
But... is he still majority shareholder, then? If that's the case, all he's doing is moving his own money around, I would think?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Majority is not 100% ownership, he is losing a significant fraction of it albeit necessarily <50%.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

McCloud posted:

If you play it real good you actually impress him

Beating the pinball game is fantastic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Majority is not 100% ownership, he is losing a significant fraction of it albeit necessarily <50%.

Yeah, but doesn't that mean he still fraudulently got the controlling share of the company? I would have assumed the goal was to get him out entirely, so that the actual creators could take over again.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kurvitz is still suing.

quote:

Kurvitz also filed a lawsuit in Estonia against ZA/UM via his own separate company, Telomer. A court date for the case was set for November 28, but ZA/UM was unable to provide an update on the suit's progression

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Put authority in body and shivers in psyche. The game is perfect now.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah Shivers is good as a body skill IMO given the description. Plus I think it's good to separate it a little from Inland Empire.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Authority needs to be a Psyche skill because it's about your ability to command and control, not physically intimidate people. We have Physical Instrument for that. Kim's Authority is supposed to be off the charts but the dude looks like a skeleton somebody slapped magnifying glasses on

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Youremother posted:

Authority needs to be a Psyche skill because it's about your ability to command and control, not physically intimidate people. We have Physical Instrument for that. Kim's Authority is supposed to be off the charts but the dude looks like a skeleton somebody slapped magnifying glasses on

That's Half Light's job for scaring people

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Youremother posted:

dude looks like a skeleton somebody slapped magnifying glasses on

A beefy dude could've never infiltrated the pinball syndicate.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

inland empire is literally just your repressed memories + a talking tie fetish object

shivers is the only super natural power. actually esprit de corps is also supernatural

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Inland Empire has another meaning which is "San Bernardino and Riverside County" where david lynch flipped a house with his dad as a 2nd marriage present after graduating from AFI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Empire

and also he made a movie about, uh, hollywood and polish prostitutes, titled that. but hollywood is outside the inland empire

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah IE isn’t actually supernatural but it does give off that vibe sometimes

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Antonymous posted:

inland empire is literally just your repressed memories + a talking tie fetish object

shivers is the only super natural power. actually esprit de corps is also supernatural

Counterpoint:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shivers is *maybe* supernatural with Harry literally communing with the spirit of Revachol or *maybe* more wild hallucinations underpinned by his phenomenal ability as a detective, familiarity with the city (even if he's "forgotten" it his unconscious clearly still knows a lot) and/or a streak of lucky hunches. It's definitely a lot more fun to read it as the former, though, and in a universe where the Pale is a real thing it's certainly plausible enough.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kim basically saying “are you loving kidding me you’re a total amnesiac but you remember “KIMBALL” which is an insulting name what the HELL” was a hoot

I loaned a buddy my PS4 and got her playing it; she’s leaning into the full fash playthrough because I refused to and she’s been cackling with absolutely delighted horror the entire time. “The writers hate these racist dipshits! this rules! they’re insulting Harry at literally every turn!”

the only spoiler I gave her (she asked for a few of them but I kept mum) was the wompty-domp-whatever thought because of all the XP and cash it throws your way and the reason I did that is so she can get as many skill points as possible to really go ham with it. I’ve refused to tell her anything else.

It almost feels like I’m playing it again because of her constant reactions to stuff and it’s so drat fun.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

sebzilla posted:

Shivers is *maybe* supernatural with Harry literally communing with the spirit of Revachol or *maybe* more wild hallucinations underpinned by his phenomenal ability as a detective, familiarity with the city (even if he's "forgotten" it his unconscious clearly still knows a lot) and/or a streak of lucky hunches. It's definitely a lot more fun to read it as the former, though, and in a universe where the Pale is a real thing it's certainly plausible enough.

If we accept some extra-canonical stuff as being true - This stuff namely - it's very plausible that Harry is actually psychic and his visions might be 100% real. Inland Empire is definitely Harry's own weirdness but I believe that Shivers and Espirit de Corps are Harry tapping into the power of the Pale.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Youremother posted:

If we accept some extra-canonical stuff as being true - This stuff namely - it's very plausible that Harry is actually psychic and his visions might be 100% real. Inland Empire is definitely Harry's own weirdness but I believe that Shivers and Espirit de Corps are Harry tapping into the power of the Pale.

Harry is basically a 40k Inquisitor, a psychic one like Ravenor.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

caution: some of this poo poo might be spoilerific, I dunno

---

Given what was revealed from the book earlier and the design docs pages and pages ago, Harry might be close to something like a "magpie": people who can tap into future information through the completely weird temporal flux of an universe that has Pale. Trent mentions that Harry is tapped into the world full-tilt in a way of speaking.

However, it might be the case that there are types of manifestation of such ability. In DE, the concept of Hegelian history is a material, physical force and this has tremendous implications to anything that has consciousness. Pale is rarified past, as a byproduct of temporal fuckery consequent (among other things) from the interaction of such able humans essentially bringing poo poo from the future without the appropriate material circumstances being developed that would allow said poo poo from the future happen on its own. The best example of this from the game is the diet coke space marine armor that the mercs use, incidentally

imho, Harry isn't a "magpie" because he doesn't seem to have the active and intuitive capacity/awareness that would make someone into a potential Innocence; he is, however, capable of being a sort-of receiver radio of the particularly powerful piece of the World-Spirit of Elysium, namely La Revacholière. Likewise, from that capability, he might be "psychic" in the way in how that ability interferes with his insight: my own personal take about Inland Empire is that it is his unconscious acting through that ability, gleaming together what it can reach from History (remember that it is a physical force here) and mashing together with everything rolling in his unaccessible depths. Likewise, Esprit-de-Corps is the same thing being manifest as a sort of gestalt awareness: Harry can "see" the scenes the skill describes in the sense he is tapping into History through his imagination and the consciousness of others interacting with History.

An Innocence, in that way, would be someone who can fully realize that communication with History/temporal flux to the point they distinguish reality in a very different way than we do, which is why Egghead is imho a potential innocence. His odd behavior is because he perceives history-as-is and history-as-future as one thing: "the question is: what is the question?" is him literally telling you how to solve the puzzle of talking to him by telling you what you should do in the future. Having that degree of awareness also explains why anodic music is so drat loving important to the point that the club must happen as a "victory for the Light": it creates different possibilities and pushes History into new directions where the Bad poo poo doesn't happen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well now I feel bad that I turned the next world spirit in to a fascist as a joke.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I do love the Egghead as Innocence theory.

It's ULTRA hardcore.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Well now I feel bad that I turned the next world spirit in to a fascist as a joke.

A world spirit that is flesh is in a very literal sense what Jesus is in Christianity and that’s where Hegel is getting these concepts from.

You made a fascist savior.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

One of the things that popped up watching my girlfriend play through DE that I never saw was a passive Inland Empire check right at the start where it says ”The miracle waits in the West” (or something similar) so it’s at least a bit extra-sensory in some way

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Finally played through this game for the first time. I really loved it. Gotta say I can't imagine playing it without the voice-acting fully in - and that's as someone who usually just clicks through voice-acted dialogue once I've read it (and did on occasion in this game too, just rarely).

Great world and characters, loved how some of the developments came really out of left field.

My only real complaint was the merc/hardy showdown. See I wasted some time on day 1 and scrambled to advance the main story a lot after that. So I visited Ruby the evening of day 4, and immediately afterwards had to deal with that poo poo being super unprepared. That in and of itself was just kinda unfortunate, but then afterwards like 70% of my remaining sidequests became unfinishable...

At that time I assumed I had simply gone too slow for the timer, even though I thought it was odd since I seemed to recall the game telling me it would be 5 days or something. But then I skipped around through Woolie's playthrough, and they got to day 5 barely hearing of Ruby and there was no showdown at all. I felt pretty annoyed at that point - felt like the game literally hosed me over by locking me out of content because I completed the main quest too fast...which I only did BECAUSE it had warned me about loving things over by completing it too slowly. It would be one thing if it was obvious going to the plant to search for Ruby could trigger the mercs to act or something, but as far as I can tell there is absolutely no causal connection between the two things - am I missing something about that?

Oh well, I still enjoyed the rest of the game, and the ending. Trant is such a loving poo poo-spouting dweeb, you can't help but admire it. Definitely rocketed up towards the top of my favorite RPGs list. Would have loved even more Precinct 41 characterization scattered throughout honestly - had Esprit de Corps pretty high, but a lot of the small scenes were pretty vague. Sad we won't get another one, but it would be pretty difficult to follow it up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC when you go to confront Ruby, Kim stops you just before the point of no return to effectively warn you that it's a point of no return.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

christmas boots posted:

well at least you didn't make him a moralist

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I honestly don't remember that at all lol. What is the justification for it even being a point of no return? Like I said, even in hindsight I can't tell WHY it would be a point of no return, so I probably didn't parse it as one beyond the immediate 'deal with Ruby' part of the quest.

E: Like, I could see it make Klaasje flee if you didn't arrest her. But I also can't see how that would relate to the mercs starting poo poo either. And in the latter case it happens before you confront Ruby so clearly that isn't a trigger in any way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm almost certain Kim stops you in the tunnel and goes "are you sure you want to proceed? I think poo poo is going to go down/this will break the stalemate between the union and company, and people might go into hiding" (or something to that effect) and I'm almost certain he will also enumerate some not done sidequests as things to still investigate.

As for why this is a point of no return: Talking to Joyce she reveals the Mercs are basically trailing your investigation and will eventually come to their own conclusion, suggesting that pinning it on someone might advert the mercs doing the worst. While I don't think the mercs are going "welp, Ruby's ruled out time to bring the hammer down," narratively and mechanically, there had to be some point/trigger for the Tribunal to happen, and it's basically when you're out of meaningful leads. Depend on what you've done, the game has probably given you a lot of reason to think Ruby is the prime suspect, so I don't think it's craze to think that going after her might conclude some things?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm almost certain Kim stops you in the tunnel and goes "are you sure you want to proceed? I think poo poo is going to go down/this will break the stalemate between the union and company, and people might go into hiding" (or something to that effect) and I'm almost certain he will also enumerate some not done sidequests as things to still investigate.

As for why this is a point of no return: Talking to Joyce she reveals the Mercs are basically trailing your investigation and will eventually come to their own conclusion, suggesting that pinning it on someone might advert the mercs doing the worst. While I don't think the mercs are going "welp, Ruby's ruled out time to bring the hammer down," narratively and mechanically, there had to be some point/trigger for the Tribunal to happen, and it's basically when you're out of meaningful leads. Depend on what you've done, the game has probably given you a lot of reason to think Ruby is the prime suspect, so I don't think it's craze to think that going after her might conclude some things?

I see, that makes some sense. Except for the last part anyway - I entered the talk with Ruby pretty uncertain that she did it (mostly based on the weapon used - didn't fit with her profile OR the idea of the shot being taken from the roof) and left basically certain that she didn't. So in that way, it didn't feel like a logical conclusion to the investigation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's certainly not conclusive, if you're through, you probably should be unsure it's her going in, and then certain it's not going out - like you were, but it's borderline a dead end, I feel like it's hard to argue it's not the right time for things to go down. It's sort of why one of your dialog choices is "it's no one here" - it's the truth, but it's not going to make the mercs happy. I think initially I was a bit disappointed there there's no way to defuse the situation, but that's probably a far better and more interesting scenario. The mercs are just genuinely poo poo awful people.

I think the alternative would have been to have the Tribunal on a timer (happening on a particular day) but that could have been problematic, either screwing people who took things slower, or causing people to need to burn time.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 11, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So wait, it's not on a timer at all? You can take like 3 weeks to find Ruby no problem?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Insurrectionist posted:

So wait, it's not on a timer at all? You can take like 3 weeks to find Ruby no problem?

Correct. In practice there's a soft time limit where you would run out of useful things to do, but if you really want to spend a month rereading your notebook, you can.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Huh. I am like 95% sure after I did the drug-snooping for Joyce and she spills about the deranged mercs her company so wisely decided to unleash on an unsuspecting city, either Kim or one of my 24 brain compartments chime in about estimating a 5-day timeline before said mercs get sick of waiting and start shooting, which I assumed was the game tellign me 'do this poo poo in 5 days'. Did I imagine this in a fever dream or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh. I am like 95% sure after I did the drug-snooping for Joyce and she spills about the deranged mercs her company so wisely decided to unleash on an unsuspecting city, either Kim or one of my 24 brain compartments chime in about estimating a 5-day timeline before said mercs get sick of waiting and start shooting, which I assumed was the game tellign me 'do this poo poo in 5 days'. Did I imagine this in a fever dream or something?

no, you remember correctly. inland empire gives you a hard time limit during that conversation. but like most of your skills, inland empire is wrong sometimes, and that's probably the most severe oopsie it makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Joyce very much does warn you that poo poo is going down soon, "a week, or a matter of days" might have been the phrasing. You're not wrong to feel time pressured, but I think the game is mostly just meant to impress upon you that poo poo going down cannot adverted.