Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yes you can make it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Yes you can make it up.

I say there's a big chance that articles like this are attempts to scare loan holders into making stupid mistakes that will then make them ineligible for any forgiveness. It's a Mafia-esque handled system of repayment anyway... a tactic like that is just standard operating procedure.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

… and it’s an uncredited “screenshot” posted to twitter which, as we all know, isn’t exactly a fountain of knowledge. Who knows, might even be true.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

idk why they didn't link but it's legit:
https://www.businessinsider.com/student-loan-borrowers-mistakenly-informed-debt-relief-approval-education-corrections-2022-12

quote:

Millions of student-loan borrowers will soon receive an updated email on the status of their debt relief.

Over November 22 and 23, approximately 9 million borrowers received an email from President Joe Biden's Education Department with a subject line that stated: "Your Student Loan Debt Relief Application Has Been Approved." However, that subject line was incorrect, Insider has learned — it was simply supposed to inform borrowers that their applications had been received with the subject line: "Update on Student Loan Debt Relief."

This error was made by Accenture Federal Services, which is a contractor of the department that sent the email communications. While the content of the email was accurate and provided borrowers an update that debt relief is currently held up in court and loans cannot be discharged at this time, Accenture, on behalf of the department, will be sending new emails with a corrected subject line to those impacted borrowers in the coming days.

Stacey Jones, senior managing director and head of corporate communications for Accenture, told Insider in a statement that the company "regrets the human error that led to an email being sent to a number of student loan debt relief applicants with an inaccurate subject line."

"The email was sent on behalf of the Department of Education on Nov. 22 and 23," she continued. "Working closely with the Department, Accenture Federal Services will review quality control measures to support accurate and timely communications to applicants in the Student Loan Debt Relief program."

An Education Department spokesperson also told Insider in a statement that "communicating clearly and accurately with borrowers is a top priority of the Department."

"We are in close touch with Accenture Federal Services as they take corrective action to ensure all borrowers and those affected have accurate information about debt relief," the spokesperson said.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dicty Bojangles posted:

… and it’s an uncredited “screenshot” posted to twitter which, as we all know, isn’t exactly a fountain of knowledge. Who knows, might even be true.

Scared? Gonna piss your pants? It's real and there's nothing you can do about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

What a weird thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Scared? Gonna piss your pants? It's real and there's nothing you can do about it.

lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hope everyone got the shitposting out of their systems, because the next one on this page gets at least 12 hours off.

Fair warning.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Interestingly, it does make me wonder if there were multiple "groups" of applicants and this only applies to one of those groups.

That is to say, the wording of (the body of) my email I got on the 23rd is slightly different than what the very first wave of recipients reported getting.

Either way, there's nothing objectionable about they body of my email - they said they received it and/or they have enough info to process it - and even if they end up asking for more info, I'm 99.9% sure I qualify so it really doesn't change anything on my end I guess.

It does make me wonder if there was a first group that 100% for sure did qualify, everything was on file, and THAT set of users is ready to go . . . and then there's the second set where maybe everything isn't quite as firmed up (iirc I haven't submitted my income to FAFSA anytime in the last decade or anything, so if they aren't taking that data directly from the IRS they may end up asking me for more info or something?)

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

This email had the same subject line mentioned in this article. I paid off my loans during the freeze and am located in the area affected by those stupid lawsuits. The subject line is some clickbait poo poo for sure and I would love my money back.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol, I apologize for threadshitting. Let me do a mea culpa by trying to contribute.

Do you think all those people that got a false forgiveness acceptance letter have any sort of legal recourse or appeal process?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they should have their student loans forgiven imo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Do you think all those people that got a false forgiveness acceptance letter have any sort of legal recourse or appeal process?

I'm hardly an expert in the law so my assumptions might be very wrong here, but I would think that legal recourse or appeal would only be possible if they made a specific dollar amount promise. Of course there was their vague offer to forgive up to $20k, but they didn't -- at least not in the email I received -- say exactly how much they'd forgive.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

they should have their student loans forgiven imo

:emptyquote:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm hardly an expert in the law so my assumptions might be very wrong here, but I would think that legal recourse or appeal would only be possible if they made a specific dollar amount promise. Of course there was their vague offer to forgive up to $20k, but they didn't -- at least not in the email I received -- say exactly how much they'd forgive.

:emptyquote:

That's a pretty big rug pull. I know that if I didn't enter the finance industry as a computer toucher it would have taken me years more to pay off my debt, and I'm old as poo poo.

I hope it works out for you, were you one of the false approvals?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

That's a pretty big rug pull. I know that if I didn't enter the finance industry as a computer toucher it would have taken me years more to pay off my debt, and I'm old as poo poo.

I hope it works out for you, were you one of the false approvals?

Yes, and I was so skeptical & leery of the message I got that I came straight here and asked if anyone else had received it. The second I saw it, I assumed it was spam.

me a few weeks ago posted:

The reasons I thought there was a chance it might not be legit are 1) I'm just generally suspicious of everything about this whole thing, and 2) when I looked over the requirements/restrictions before applying, I was very sure that I wouldn't qualify.

From the very beginning, before I even applied, I expected nothing and feared the worst.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

lol, I apologize for threadshitting. Let me do a mea culpa by trying to contribute.

If you acted on the information in such a way that you were harmed, you could conceivably recover those damages.

If you had 20k cash laying around and then because of the forgiveness you sunk it into a roth and now need to pull it out to pay then you might be able to recover your tax penalty payments for example.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I dropped out of University in 2012 and haven't paid back a dime on my student loans since then. At the time, I don't think I was eligible for a Pell Grant because I was still being claimed as dependent. Since I've gotten a bit older, I've taken community college classes and received a pell grant. Since I've received a pell grant since I've taken out my loans, will I be eligible for $20k in forgiveness or just $10k?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Trollipop posted:

I dropped out of University in 2012 and haven't paid back a dime on my student loans since then. At the time, I don't think I was eligible for a Pell Grant because I was still being claimed as dependent. Since I've gotten a bit older, I've taken community college classes and received a pell grant. Since I've received a pell grant since I've taken out my loans, will I be eligible for $20k in forgiveness or just $10k?

My understanding is that it'll be if you have a pell grant listed at all on StudentAid.gov:

Neito posted:

My understanding is that any loan listed as DIRECT is eligable.

So, here's my dashboard (with the amounts blocked out); you can see that because I have Pell grants listed, I'll be getting the 20k relief; if you have the same (on studentaid.gov), you're eligable for the expanded relief:

Then, if you go to the Breakdown and your loans are listed as "Direct", you get some of that forgiven.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Finally got my “we goofed” email today. Here’s the title of and body of the email:

“CORRECTION: Status of Your Student Loan Debt Relief Application

Due to a vendor error, you recently received an email with a subject line indicating your application for the one-time Student Loan Debt Relief Plan had been approved. The subject line was inaccurate. The body of the previous email was accurate.

We have received your application but are not permitted to review your eligibility because of ongoing litigation. We will keep your application information and review your eligibility if and when we prevail in court.

We apologize for the confusion, and you do not need to take any further action at this time. We will keep you updated with any developments.”

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
If you send these type of mixed messages to a dog by teasing it with a doggie treat, a lot of dogs will bite you because of it.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Ramen Pride! posted:

If you send these type of mixed messages to a dog by teasing it with a doggie treat, a lot of dogs will bite you because of it.
A dog has better pattern recognition than the average voter so that analogy doesn't work

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shame about the people who payed off their loans recently: they lost out on the loan money, the taxes paid on the repayment money, and the potential forgiveness money. Its like paying 2.3 times!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Comatoast posted:

Shame about the people who payed off their loans recently: they lost out on the loan money, the taxes paid on the repayment money, and the potential forgiveness money. Its like paying 2.3 times!

Anyone can get a refund for any payments made during the payment pause.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Speaking of which I got my refund check yesterday. I can't wait to have to pay it back again. Does this mean it goes back on my credit history?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone can get a refund for any payments made during the payment pause.
Lol I asked my servicer for the money back since they never paused and they were like "oh your account is paid off (since it was consolidated by FedLoan) and we can't give refunds on zeo balances!"

gently caress em lol

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Lol I asked my servicer for the money back since they never paused and they were like "oh your account is paid off (since it was consolidated by FedLoan) and we can't give refunds on zeo balances!"

gently caress em lol

Pretty sure they're lying to you. I got my fully paid off loan refunded to me.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Got an email today saying they are extending the payment pause. That's something I guess.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Malaria posted:

Got an email today saying they are extending the payment pause. That's something I guess.

They announced about a month ago that it's been extended to 60 days after the Supreme Court rules on it or 60 days after June 30th, whichever comes first.

So, it will likely be extended until close to September 2023. Technically, the longest possible is August 29th, 2023.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

2 months ago, I called MyFedLoan and requested a repayment of the payments I had made during the pandemic pause. These had paid off my student loans. They told me it would take 2 weeks to 2 months.

Since it’s been 2 months and I hadn’t received anything yet, I tried to log into MyFedLoan today only to find out (from the fed loan servicing center) that they went out of business and no longer exist, :lol:.The fed loan servicing center has no idea what loan servicer received my payments during that time.

E: apparently Aidvantage is/was my loan servicer and after getting disconnected twice, I finally got someone who knew what they were talking about. They are "starting the process" of refunding the payments I made during the pandemic pause, which started 2 months ago at MyFedLoan, which apparently didn't do anything with them.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 21, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
The fact that you don't get to choose your loan servicer means the loan servicers treat you like poo poo and don't care about your problems at all.

See also, textbooks.

'Murica

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

The fact that you don't get to choose your loan servicer means the loan servicers treat you like poo poo and don't care about your problems at all.

See also, textbooks.

'Murica

See also, mortgages. Tangential, but still valid.

Edit: I got the email a few days ago, too.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 21, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Malaria posted:

Me too -- judging by your post time and the time I got my email, I think we got ours in the same round.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They announced about a month ago that it's been extended to 60 days after the Supreme Court rules on it or 60 days after June 30th, whichever comes first.

So, it will likely be extended until close to September 2023. Technically, the longest possible is August 29th, 2023.

:smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Corn Glizzy posted:

Finally got my “we goofed” email today. Here’s the title of and body of the email:

“CORRECTION: Status of Your Student Loan Debt Relief Application

Due to a vendor error, you recently received an email with a subject line indicating your application for the one-time Student Loan Debt Relief Plan had been approved. The subject line was inaccurate. The body of the previous email was accurate.

We have received your application but are not permitted to review your eligibility because of ongoing litigation. We will keep your application information and review your eligibility if and when we prevail in court.

We apologize for the confusion, and you do not need to take any further action at this time. We will keep you updated with any developments.”

Sorry if this has been answered, but I also got this and I'm curious: What makes the difference between getting this and the folks that are getting their forgiveness? Had I not gotten my degree in OR and work in CA, I would've thought it had something to do with red state poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

It doesn’t make any difference. Because of the court delays nobody has gotten any forgiveness regardless of whether they received any mistake email.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Das Boo posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I also got this and I'm curious: What makes the difference between getting this and the folks that are getting their forgiveness? Had I not gotten my degree in OR and work in CA, I would've thought it had something to do with red state poo poo.

They email should have said they received your application, not that it was approved. Many people who got the "wrong" email are most likely still going to be approved, but they had to stop officially approving due to the court.

Also, this:

Dicty Bojangles posted:

It doesn’t make any difference. Because of the court delays nobody has gotten any forgiveness regardless of whether they received any mistake email.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how many of you are also eligible for PSLF, but I’m currently on something like day 110 out of 90 days for them to review/approve that application.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Cubelodyte posted:

I don’t know how many of you are also eligible for PSLF, but I’m currently on something like day 110 out of 90 days for them to review/approve that application.

it's been like 4-5 months for me, no response at all

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

The Cubelodyte posted:

I think it took our friend 6 months to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Okay guys here is the plan, imma make a new university and charge $19,999/semester, all you guys apply and I'll let you in and take out a loan and pay me and then get the loan forgiven and then I'll "close" the university and we just all split the tuition money

oh. gently caress. if Nooner had a plan and I didn't than something went wrong