Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the last time I looked, there's not one single piece of writing that explains who or why all our airports are designed around the "you don't get to leave unless you get a friend in a car to circle the pickup lane from the time your flight was scheduled to land until you get your bags"

who is responsible and what the gently caress were they thinking

I demand to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Greg12 posted:

the last time I looked, there's not one single piece of writing that explains who or why all our airports are designed around the "you don't get to leave unless you get a friend in a car to circle the pickup lane from the time your flight was scheduled to land until you get your bags"

I demand to know

i mean you have other options, like paying a hundred dollars for a cab into the city or waiting 45 minutes for a bus that'll get you there in an hour or two or three

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
european airports are a hell of a lot better about rail connection to the city, still in most of them the ethos turns to full gently caress you if your plane arrived at like 2300 or later. public transport decided it really had better poo poo to do so gently caress you, pay a taxi lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

bike tory posted:

*New York Times voice*

Here's how cars and roading projects are leading the fight against climate change.

Enjoy our other headlines:

Analysis: Could climate pressures see the internal combustion engine make a comeback?

The Ten Greenest Highways in America

Long Read: I used to think cars were the problem. But then I looked into how people actually use them.

Is walking really zero emissions? The hidden costs of pedestrian infrastructure.

Opinion: There's a big green elephant in the room. It's time we talked about it.

We hear from three experts on how cycling can actually increase total carbon emissions.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BonHair posted:

The great thing about ferries is that they're huge, so any small boat getting in it's way is gonna get destroyed because you can't manoeuver a boat that well. This mostly hurts small sailing boats in real life though.

sailboats have right of way over ferries so just sail away carefree

just like you can walk into any crosswalk w/o fear

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

CopperHound posted:

I just remembered something from my childhood that made me smile:

wow, very disappointing to see this kind of ableism and ageism from Ken

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Greg12 posted:

I demand to know

because there's no sane way to handle the car traffic for an entire arriving flight, let alone several. in louisville short-term parking is like $2 so I just pay it and meet them at the carousel instead of doing laps and almost getting into a wreck every single time. a light rail line that goes between the airport and downtown but nowhere useful for residents is a perennially stalled out, multi hundred million dollar proposal which occasionally gets floated but will never even begin let alone be completed

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mortons stork posted:

european airports are a hell of a lot better about rail connection to the city, still in most of them the ethos turns to full gently caress you if your plane arrived at like 2300 or later. public transport decided it really had better poo poo to do so gently caress you, pay a taxi lol

Copenhagen has not only a rail connection to the airport, but also a supplementary metro connection.
The rail connection is oldest and also goes to Sweden, but has the problems of not running at night and limited stations (and going to Sweden).
The metro is just plain good, although it has a lot of stops before the one I need. It runs all night though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i mean you have other options, like paying a hundred dollars for a cab into the city or waiting 45 minutes for a bus that'll get you there in an hour or two or three

I went to NOLA a few times, and each time I took the bus from the airport to downtown. it took an hour or so I think, but it was only two dollars so hey

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

The rumor was that the cab companies had pushed against the train getting anywhere near the terminal. Also, the latest train needs two different transfers to go from downtown LA (in 2023 when the people mover is open) to get from downtown LA to the actual terminal (and would probably take an hour and a half+).

In Moscow you can get a train that goes directly to the terminal of all three major airports without a transfer in 30-45 minutes from central Moscow. London is fairly similar.

LA even as far as the US goes just is just hopeless even with new lines (also the new lines still don't have their own right-aways which slows everything down to a crawl).

Yeah, Vienna has an endpoint of the Western high speed train connection at the airport. It's pretty convenient.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Greg12 posted:

I demand to know

"Fun" "facts": Newark Liberty's rickety piece of poo poo SkyTrain technically works most of the time and cost $350M in 1986. Its replacement is projected to cost over $2B (before inevitable overruns) for a whopping 2.5 miles of new elevated track. That's about 50x more expensive than a continuous train of Tesla Model 3s.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

WaryWarren posted:

Last time I visited my friend in Bremerton, I flew into SeaTac, walked to the train platform, took the train to Pioneer Square, walked to the ferry terminal, took the ferry to Bremerton, walked to my friend's place.

That is definitely the best way to get to the airport. I live two blocks from a light rail station and don't own a car, so that's pretty much the only way I go to and from the airport.

Rumor has it the station is like a quarter mile from the terminal because the taxi companies fought it, though. It's not a big deal if you're healthy, but it's definitely a schlep if you're mobility-impaired. Also, having to walk that far if you're hauling a lot of luggage or small children sucks.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Chicago has metro connections to both its airports, and taking it is a real treat, its like you're really back in the 1940s-50s when they were built, except they dont go as fast as they did back then

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

eXXon posted:

"Fun" "facts": Newark Liberty's rickety piece of poo poo SkyTrain technically works most of the time and cost $350M in 1986. Its replacement is projected to cost over $2B (before inevitable overruns) for a whopping 2.5 miles of new elevated track. That's about 50x more expensive than a continuous train of Tesla Model 3s.

12,000 dollars per inch

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

distortion park posted:

15,000 dollars per inch

Hell, same

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ferries kind of suck, they're just a grossly inefficient way to move people around and mostly a lovely excuse not to invest in rail or even bus tunnels. They make sense in a handful of settings and situations but they get used all over the place.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Vice just did an article about how much more expensive infrastructure is in the U.S. than other places:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k7b5mn/a-dollar100-billion-lesson-in-why-building-public-transportation-is-so-expensive-in-the-us

It's not particularly illuminating, but it seems like it comes down to two things: 1) the grift: everyone gets their piece, and it's much worse here than in most other places, and 2) we don't loving build poo poo until it's absolutely necessary. It's all disaster capitalism, so instead of making plans for future use and building out infrastructure as it will be needed and performing regular maintenance on existing stuff, we defer everything as long as possible until it's falling apart, then dump $70 million into fixing a bridge to avoid inconveniencing a relative handful of bougie white car drivers.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

skooma512 posted:

LAX is a loving nightmare, even outside of holidays.

They're finally building a train there, even though that should have been in since the beginning. In Paris I can go from De Gaulle to fricken Disneyland with only one train change, here you can't get in and out of the airport without some kind of car or bus.

I'm flying to visit my family in Austria for Christmas. I'm flying directly from St. Louis to Frankfurt, and the airport itself is on the ICE rail network. Then I'm taking a $90 euro ticket from Frankfurt to Linz

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

bike tory posted:

Ferries kind of suck, they're just a grossly inefficient way to move people around and mostly a lovely excuse not to invest in rail or even bus tunnels. They make sense in a handful of settings and situations but they get used all over the place.

Are ferries mostly a northern thing? I'm not even aware of any in the south that aren't, like, to a remote barrier island.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
One of the actual decent parts of the Portland MAX is that it does actually go right to the terminal building which does save a lot of time.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are ferries mostly a northern thing? I'm not even aware of any in the south that aren't, like, to a remote barrier island.

I can't speak for other areas but western WA has the largest ferry system in the US

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't live in the US.

My city has like 10 ferry routes, take about 5-10% of public transport journeys but makes up 20% of the PT emissions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they made ferries a bigger thing around nyc and its cool but could be cooler

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They COULD do the Øresund Bridge across the Salish Sea in like five places, or they could run a series of boats.

The fee structure on the ferry tickets strongly encourages people to travel as pedestrians, on bikes, or on motorcycles, rather than by car. It is a LOT more to take a car on most routes than it is to walk-on. Walk-ons might even be free on some journeys? It's been a while since I took a ferry.

And then you have situations like Alaska, where the population density is very low, and mostly centered in the islands of the southeast. You have to take a ferry from the Ketchikan Airport into Ketchikan. There was a plan to build a bridge between them, this was the infamous Bridge To Nowhere.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hailthefish posted:

They COULD do the Øresund Bridge across the Salish Sea in like five places, or they could run a series of boats.

The fee structure on the ferry tickets strongly encourages people to travel as pedestrians, on bikes, or on motorcycles, rather than by car. It is a LOT more to take a car on most routes than it is to walk-on. Walk-ons might even be free on some journeys? It's been a while since I took a ferry.

And then you have situations like Alaska, where the population density is very low, and mostly centered in the islands of the southeast. You have to take a ferry from the Ketchikan Airport into Ketchikan. There was a plan to build a bridge between them, this was the infamous Bridge To Nowhere.

the Puget Sound is generally a lot deeper than the Øresund strait lol. I'm not sure how many of the spots you're thinking of would actually be feasible

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Dec 9, 2022

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

good memories on the various puget sound ferries. my favorite is when tony the class clown hocked a giant loogie over the side of the orcas island ferry while it was steaming full speed and it whipped straight back into some poor random old dudes face. next favorite is telling the tourists on the bainbridge island ferry that 1.
there’s real good ice cream on the island and 2. this is the boat that mulched the horse in the movie The Ring

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

the Puget Sound is generally a lot deeper than the Øresund strait lol. I'm not sure how many of the spots you're thinking of would actually be feasible

Yeah it's just really not at all feasible to cross with fixed structures. Especially not with US infrastructure construction costs + the seattle process. 100 years to build a 40 trillion dollar bridge from Camano Island to Whidbey Island.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bike tory posted:

*New York Times voice*

Here's how cars and roading projects are leading the fight against climate change.

Enjoy our other headlines:

Analysis: Could climate pressures see the internal combustion engine make a comeback?

The Ten Greenest Highways in America

Long Read: I used to think cars were the problem. But then I looked into how people actually use them.

Is walking really zero emissions? The hidden costs of pedestrian infrastructure.

Opinion: There's a big green elephant in the room. It's time we talked about it.

We hear from three experts on how cycling can actually increase total carbon emissions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: riddled with small inaccuracies

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Dec 9, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

"Dad, how do they figure out the working life of a bridge?"
"Well, they just drive cars and trucks over it for decades and decades until it falls over, then they stop the timer and rebuild the bridge"

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Let me offer some happier reading.

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1601122860495314945

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
burlington vt: lets add a mile long freeway on-ramp to our downtown center

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

At-grade trams are obsolete and that's why all the best places to live as a pedestrian are building them out,

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is an at grade tram a street car?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tram, street car, whatever you want to call it. They tore ours out here almost entirely in the 60s and 70s because they're "obsolete" but if there's no car traffic for them to impede I don't see what the problem is.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the only reason they are obsolete is counterrevolutionary rules imposed on the people's transit by wreckers at all levels that forbid honest proletarians from installing carcatchers on the front and smashing through all cars whose drivers dare block progress (of the streetcar)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://nltimes.nl/2022/12/09/amsterdam-drop-city-speed-limit-30-kmh-80-roadways

quote:

Amsterdam to drop city speed limit to 30 km/h on 80% of roadways
Political leaders in Amsterdam announced plans to reduce the speed limit on most roadways from 50 to 30 kilometers per hour. The decision will affect 80 percent of the city's roadways beginning in December 2023. The speed limit reduction should make traffic safer and quieter, the city's executive leaders believe.

The leadership, including the mayor and the coalition party aldermen, previously said they intended to reduce the speed limit, but the first details were released on Friday morning. "We are in a hurry to lower the maximum speed on the roads, because the majority of Amsterdammers feel unsafe in traffic," said Melanie van der Horst, the alderman in charge of traffic and transportation policy. "We are now going to take concrete steps towards the introduction of the 30 km/h roads in December 2023, so that we can really make a big move to make Amsterdam traffic safer."

Some 270 kilometers of roads will be subject to the speed limit cut. Over the next year, traffic lights, markings, and signs on the roads will be adjusted in preparation for the change.

In some areas, the reduction will be brought in gradually, with some roads switched to the lowered speed limit before next December. In combination with a marketing and education campaign, the city aims to prepare Amsterdammers for the change.

By bringing down the speed limit, City Hall expects serious accidents to be more limited due to the slower speeds at the moment of impact. Additionally, the number of accidents should fall by 20 to 30 percent. The political leaders cited figures showing that 800 people in the city are injured and 20 people are killed in traffic annually.

City hall said that that research carried out on behalf of the municipality showed that 67 percent of Amsterdam residents consider traffic to be either unsafe or very unsafe. About 83 percent of residents think higher speeds creates dangerous situations in traffic.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
If there's a residential house on the street, the speed limit should be 12 mph max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

is an at grade tram a street car?

I'm not sure if it's an official difference, but most of the new tram systems getting built have dedicated or mostly dedicated right of way for the trams. Exactly how segregated they are varies a lot (even on one route there might be a mix of RoW all to themselves, dedicated lane, shared with buses, mixed traffic junction) but the key thing is that the trams don't have to sit in car traffic.