Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I loved the yoshida signing but even with that, I can’t remember the last time I had lest vested interest in the Red Sox. The championships over the past 20 years have been great but I’m kinda sick of rooting for lovely free agents and lottery ticket pickups. Can’t help but notice we seem to be the only team on the block that won’t pay their homegrown talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does the GM get fired after this debacle or is he doing exactly what the owners want now

I assume it has to be what ownership wants, why hire the guy from Tampa Bay if you are going to let him throw stacks like he was Dombrowski

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Saw this on the back of some cheese I bought:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see the cheese has been checking out some historical advanced defensive metrics

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Paper Tiger posted:

Odd choice for them to only include one hour of parking when the average game is three hours long.

Also I like that they're specifically adult-sized hats, implying the parents get em and not the kids. Sorry kids, you don't get programs either and mommy and daddy are eating two hot dogs each.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's fine if the Cubs are going to tread water for another season but don't open your mouths about how THE CHECKBOOK IS OPEN and WE'RE GOING TO TRY NKT TO BE DOGSHIT and then sign young Jason Heyward, a decent pitcher, and let Contreras go to the loving cardinals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's fine if the Cubs are going to tread water for another season but don't open your mouths about how THE CHECKBOOK IS OPEN and WE'RE GOING TO TRY NKT TO BE DOGSHIT and then sign young Jason Heyward, a decent pitcher, and let Contreras go to the loving cardinals.

They're not done yet. Bound to be a few other reclamation projects out there for cheap.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does the GM get fired after this debacle or is he doing exactly what the owners want now

Keep in mind this is always who the Red Sox ownership has been. They let Pedro and Lowe walk after winning in 04, they let Ellsbury walk after winning in 13. The Mookie trade just broke everyone's brains (I think because they signed Sale to that terrible idea of an extension last then cried poverty) and they're now under a closer spotlight.

Well that and the fact that Bloom really seems like his was genuine in his desire to bring Xander back and was blindsided by the Padres' offer.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Niwrad posted:

Cubs and Red Sox seem to be on eerily similar paths. Big market teams that have realized they can fill up their historic ballparks because it's a tourist attraction. Throw in a big local TV deal because of their loyal fanbase and you can print money winning 75 games a year. Sell fans on some A ball guys who might be good in 5 years.

I have noticed that the Red Sox have been doing a lot of "we tried" this offseason.

https://twitter.com/r_j_anderson/status/1600251313786277890?s=20&t=QPbldhLNyUh0E_MKUgzbqQ
https://twitter.com/r_j_anderson/status/1600316685038235648?s=20&t=QPbldhLNyUh0E_MKUgzbqQ

Eflin in particular was funny because he used the Red Sox as leverage to get a bigger contract offer from the freaking Rays.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

Well that and the fact that Bloom really seems like his was genuine in his desire to bring Xander back and was blindsided by the Padres' offer.

See I thought so too but if the offer that was printed is true at like 6/160 then he really is unsuited for this gig. That was never ever ever going to get it done.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

zoux posted:

Owners association calling up John Wick dudes about Steve Cohen

Without adding (or getting rid of) anyone else, the Mets are expected to be paying luxury tax penalties (~$60M) higher than the entire payrolls of the Pirates, Orioles and A's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, including penalties their payroll is gonna be north of $400m

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

ihatepants posted:

Without adding (or getting rid of) anyone else, the Mets are expected to be paying luxury tax penalties (~$60M) higher than the entire payrolls of the Pirates, Orioles and A's.

Including the A's in there almost isn't fair because they are openly tanking out of spite

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NiceGuy posted:

See I thought so too but if the offer that was printed is true at like 6/160 then he really is unsuited for this gig. That was never ever ever going to get it done.

The thing is 6/160 was relatively in line with the consensus for what it would take to sign Xander going into the offseason, though granted on the low end of the spectrum. So I don't entirely blame Bloom for not predicting how nuts the market was going to be. I do blame him for not making that 6/160 offer last off-season, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Also I like that they're specifically adult-sized hats, implying the parents get em and not the kids. Sorry kids, you don't get programs either and mommy and daddy are eating two hot dogs each.

they’ll get a beer each and like it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't love the way the Mets' roster is constructed. They are way too reliant on old pitching and their lineup just seems kinda "fine" for a team with that level of payroll?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Mets are spending $400M to get bounced in the NLDS and hell I dig it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

probably makes for a better fan experience than spending zero dollars and losing 90-100 games

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1601186171492610048?s=20&t=sheD3jljzK4N75euIdM4JQ

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

ihatepants posted:

Sometimes I daydream about painful ways Bob Nutting could die. It doesn't fix anything but it's mildly cathartic at least

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

I don't love the way the Mets' roster is constructed. They are way too reliant on old pitching and their lineup just seems kinda "fine" for a team with that level of payroll?
I agree

There are a lot of weaknesses and signing guys like Verlander/Robertson/Quintana that you will need to rely on seems risky

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree

There are a lot of weaknesses and signing guys like Verlander/Robertson/Quintana that you will need to rely on seems risky
there just aren't as many young players available for purchase because of the way baseball's labor situation is structured, so if you want to throw money at a roster to improve immediately you're gonna end up with a somewhat older team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

run me over with a snowplow
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/willson-contreras-mlb-baseball-st-louis-cardinals

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It does warm my heart a little to see big name free agents still get paid megadeals after the past few offseasons had the owners colluding to keep FA prices down that led to stuff like the lockout earlier this year. I just wish that my team's owner realized earlier that his "friends" weren't going to try and freeze players out again and actually loving spent money beyond $1.2 million on Trevor Gott and no one else.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

howe_sam posted:

The thing is 6/160 was relatively in line with the consensus for what it would take to sign Xander going into the offseason, though granted on the low end of the spectrum. So I don't entirely blame Bloom for not predicting how nuts the market was going to be. I do blame him for not making that 6/160 offer last off-season, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

My only pushback on this is that 6/160 was in line for what you and I, joest of schmos, thought what the market was. The number one baseball decision maker of one of the biggest markets in the game should really have better insight than that, especially after turner got 300 mil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't buy that anyone saw this market coming. People were like "hmmm dunno about that third year in the Abreu deal" and now we got Nolan Ryan coming back to the Padres on a 10 year, $250m deal

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the A's were willing to drop 14m on a 2 year deal. this market is all gas no brakes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol the first line

quote:

First things first: No one could ever replace Yadier Molina. We all know that.

zoux posted:

I don't buy that anyone saw this market coming. People were like "hmmm dunno about that third year in the Abreu deal" and now we got Nolan Ryan coming back to the Padres on a 10 year, $250m deal

Yeah that Abreu deal looks great now. I wonder if he's kicking himself for signing so quickly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pungry posted:

It does warm my heart a little to see big name free agents still get paid megadeals after the past few offseasons had the owners colluding to keep FA prices down that led to stuff like the lockout earlier this year. I just wish that my team's owner realized earlier that his "friends" weren't going to try and freeze players out again and actually loving spent money beyond $1.2 million on Trevor Gott and no one else.
I mean my Marlins haven’t even been rumored around a single FA at this point

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Asbolutely disgusting

quote:

First things first: No one could ever replace Yadier Molina.

Well you could start spitting on Umps.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 9, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many neck tattoos is Contreras obligated to get

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Would you trade Willson Contreras for Mike Trout?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Would you trade Willson Contreras for Mike Trout?

I'd ask the angels to toss in a couple of prospects

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

gently caress my life.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Cubs fans look away.

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1601266162683510784?s=20&t=ASIZpTbBuEBxeYVL4Vs4Dg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's cutting a promo on the Cubs lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

:lol:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

drat Contreras, the Cubs fans dead body is still warm

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Having watched Contreras all these years this is the only way it could have gone, he's gonna lean hard into the rivalry.

Having said that I think he'll still get a nice cheer his first time back at Wrigley. We should have just paid the dude I don't think there will be much ill will.