Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klonere
Nov 1, 2016

Flipswitch posted:

I've only listened to snippets of this podcast but it seems pretty good - does the patreon work as like an episode unlocker? Ie sub and pick two episodes a month? Or am I misunderstanding it?

Subbing gets you access to everything, the previous catalogue and all future episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Flipswitch posted:

I've only listened to snippets of this podcast but it seems pretty good - does the patreon work as like an episode unlocker? Ie sub and pick two episodes a month? Or am I misunderstanding it?

No, subscription gets you the entire archive, the money allows them to do 2 episodes a month.

It's worth it

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just me being a bit thick and dyslexic I think. Thanks! Subbed because the content is great so far.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
there’s a good episode guide they released on 20/9/22 if you scroll back in the Patreon feed

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Edit: Beaten many times over

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I book marked that - thanks! I have a ton of driving to do for work and downtime in surgery so it's ideal time to catch up.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Matt Taibbis descent into being the main character of lib twitter is painful to watch, but goddamn lol

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Nothus posted:

Matt Taibbis descent into being the main character of lib twitter is painful to watch, but goddamn lol
i can't even follow the contrarianism from him and greenwald anymore

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Enjoyed the mini series on the end days of the ottomans

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zmej posted:

i can't even follow the contrarianism from him and greenwald anymore

They're Gen Xers. The only thing either of them believe in is the certainty of their own superiority over others. If you look back at his ouvre it's not so much telling truth to power as the tale of Matt vs. The Stupids. Taibbi started down this road when he felt like cancel culture was going to threaten his purchase as a journalistic idol. He's a purely self-interested actor and it's not worth knowing all the details.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nothus posted:

All the signs were there for a long time.

Glad I’ve been off Twitter for a few weeks. Feels great.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're Gen Xers. The only thing either of them believe in is the certainty of their own superiority over others. If you look back at his ouvre it's not so much telling truth to power as the tale of Matt vs. The Stupids. Taibbi started down this road when he felt like cancel culture was going to threaten his purchase as a journalistic idol. He's a purely self-interested actor and it's not worth knowing all the details.

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1600544427813982208?s=20&t=-w49zwcoSeSSHeTFJJpTSw

LOL

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weird. Almost like saying "we were wrong" every episode will never be enough to placate libs.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Resistance moms are reinventing the exile in the replies

https://twitter.com/hildebran/status/1600535178241253381?t=HKVnm81ixcfXssj-jPBVGg&s=19

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the exile was cool

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ioffe and the lib crew are trotting out all the old smears in the replies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the old Breitbart smears, lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Weird. Almost like saying "we were wrong" every episode will never be enough to placate libs.

I don't think they were doing to placate liberals, they were doing it because they see themselves as people trying to do an honest job of analyzing the world for their listeners.

Hilariously despite seeming more cynical, Mark has always been the guy who has tried to stick to so-called journalistic principles and holding himself to a standard that's informed a lot of his better work.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Dec 9, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I remember when Mark was dejected about the fact he and Yasha weren't given credit for breaking the story on the Koch Brothers astroturfing the Tea Party. Maybe in a different world where Mark got to be a famous journalist he would take the same path, but he didn't. Instead he got to hit rock bottom addicted to speed in Kentucky, and since then he's bounced back as a family man and podcast darling.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Enjoyed the mini series on the end days of the ottomans

It's been cool to hear since I don't know much of anything about it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I remember when Mark was dejected about the fact he and Yasha weren't given credit for breaking the story on the Koch Brothers astroturfing the Tea Party. Maybe in a different world where Mark got to be a famous journalist he would take the same path, but he didn't. Instead he got to hit rock bottom addicted to speed in Kentucky, and since then he's bounced back as a family man and podcast darling.

ames becoming a normie family man and taibbi becoming a cancel culture guy is like the opposite of what i thought their trajectories would be like after the exile blew up, always makes me laugh to think about

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

ames becoming a normie family man and taibbi becoming a cancel culture guy is like the opposite of what i thought their trajectories would be like after the exile blew up, always makes me laugh to think about

lol same

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Instead he got to hit rock bottom addicted to speed in Kentucky,

what happened here lol

also, didn't expect them to get so gossipy about matt taibbi. must be a lot of bitterness there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think there was a bit of bad blood related to how the Exile fell apart but they were kidna civil about it, then Mark took responsibility for the edgier poo poo in the Exile when people came for Matt, and now that he's gone bonkers the lingering grudges are coming out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It seemed like Matt threw everyone under the bus in order to appease liberal media without realizing they'd never accept him. He seems super embarrassed by the whole saga, and does a lot of things out of spite for them.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It seemed like Matt threw everyone under the bus in order to appease liberal media without realizing they'd never accept him. He seems super embarrassed by the whole saga, and does a lot of things out of spite for them.

makes me think this quote from a profile of ames/the exile from 2010:

quote:

Shortly after Ames returned to Moscow, in early 2002, Taibbi left for Buffalo, New York, to start a new paper, The Buffalo Beast. Ames says Taibbi made it clear he didn’t want Ames’s help. According to some, it was Taibbi’s plan all along to parlay the Exile buzz into Stateside success. “[The Exile] gave him the Western platform he always wanted,” says Andrew Meier. Ames agrees. “I never thought I’d get anything of mine read. Matt never suffered from that worry. It was his birthright to be read,” he says. “He wasn’t ever comfortable with his own anger. Matt’s fate all along was to end up in a privileged space. He knew that and realized that if he could take an unconventional route there it would make him much more interesting once he arrived.” Ames claims that while he was gone Taibbi mismanaged The Exile, running it into debt and embroiling it in a libel lawsuit with Russian hockey star Pavel Bure after Taibbi ran a prank story claiming Bure’s then girlfriend, tennis player Anna Kournikova, had two vaginas. Ames says Taibbi pushed him to take on Bure, a hero among some of Moscow’s less humor-inclined underworld figures, knowing that it might endanger The Exile and Ames’s safety, even his life. “He wanted out of The Exile and he wanted out of my shadow. He was pretty clear that he wanted The Exile to go down,” Ames says.

Taibbi left the Beast after only 18 issues and wrote a political column for the New York Press (where he became best known for writing the uproar-causing “52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope”) and then moved full time to Rolling Stone in 2005. He tried to get back in touch with Ames many times, but Ames refused, because Taibbi “betrayed The Exile. The Exile was incredibly unique and fragile, and it was the only thing fighting the right fight, and when you turn on that, that’s it,” Ames says. “I don’t believe in giving people second chances.”

“I think he knows he became a mainstream caricature,” Ames says when I ask what he thinks of Taibbi’s Rolling Stone work. Taibbi won a National Magazine Award for it in 2008. Ames and Taibbi have not spoken since 2002.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yup. And he got so close he could taste it. after the financial crash, there was a fair bot of media appetite for narratives of big money shenanigans, and to Taibbi's credit, he delivered. His pieces on RS were good, his books on the topic even better, and he was showing up on MSNBC and such, one foot past the door of actual media legitimacy.

And then...well, it's your call if the Powers That Be decided they had enough scrutiny and singled him out, or if the faux-liberal big media environment was always going to turn on him. Someone revisited his book under a Me Too lens and all of a sudden he was no longer a former edgy parodist speaking truth to power, but a sleavy rapist stalking their sacred halls and being mean to the nice banks. His stuff got buried along with the whole post-Crash narrative of justice/reform.

And it cracked him. Even when he tried to play the Podcast game, you could tell his heart wasn't in it.

But hey, the chudosphere doesn't judge. They welcomed Candace Owens despite her having been a SJW and made her a star. Think of what they could do for him!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

everything turns into its opposites

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sephyr posted:

They welcomed Candace Owens despite her having been a SJW

wait, what?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He's not always that sharp

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gotta plug the sister podcast The Empire Never Ended because I know the newest episode is interesting to posters ITT.

They just overviewed information sent to them by fans about the Order of 9 Angles. It directly traces the formation of Atomwaffen to David Myatt staging a fake argument with himself using multiple accounts on the David Icke forum in 2013, as part of a scheme to get himself on the reptilian radar. It's all solid gold fashy forums content.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sephyr posted:

Yup. And he got so close he could taste it. after the financial crash, there was a fair bot of media appetite for narratives of big money shenanigans, and to Taibbi's credit, he delivered. His pieces on RS were good, his books on the topic even better, and he was showing up on MSNBC and such, one foot past the door of actual media legitimacy.

And then...well, it's your call if the Powers That Be decided they had enough scrutiny and singled him out, or if the faux-liberal big media environment was always going to turn on him. Someone revisited his book under a Me Too lens and all of a sudden he was no longer a former edgy parodist speaking truth to power, but a sleavy rapist stalking their sacred halls and being mean to the nice banks. His stuff got buried along with the whole post-Crash narrative of justice/reform.

And it cracked him. Even when he tried to play the Podcast game, you could tell his heart wasn't in it.

But hey, the chudosphere doesn't judge. They welcomed Candace Owens despite her having been a SJW and made her a star. Think of what they could do for him!

Second-guessing the Russiagate poo poo after 2016 was his undoing. Mainstream liberal media would brook no dissent and he never recovered from the fallout.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

He could have very easily let all that poo poo go. Matt still had a core base of fanatics behind him that he could've ate off of for years with how easy it is to be a boutique journalist online now. Instead he started alienating his own real fans by signing onto the Harvard cancel culture letter and doubling down on it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Having his book tour cancelled for the Eric Garner book absolutely broke him and there was no turning back after that. It's a shame too because that's probably the best thing he's written.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

everything turns into its opposites

Yup. Candace was a run of the mill Twitter person picking small fights with people over not feeling represented and such, until she tripped the wrong types and got dragged by the early chudosphere....and then love-bombed while they said that the people who had been jerks to her were obviously crypto-liberals.

In no time at all, she was cheering for Daddy Trump to teach those commies a lesson.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sephyr posted:

Yup. Candace was a run of the mill Twitter person picking small fights with people over not feeling represented and such, until she tripped the wrong types and got dragged by the early chudosphere....and then love-bombed while they said that the people who had been jerks to her were obviously crypto-liberals.

In no time at all, she was cheering for Daddy Trump to teach those commies a lesson.

Iirc there was something about her trying to set up a site to "expose" people that was in practice just doxxing, and when she got a lot of poo poo for that, she went hard right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sephyr posted:

It was an anti gamergate harassment website iirc. Don't know if she was originally a true believer but I guess that doesn't really matter in the grand scope of things.

Lol at the blumenthal shots in the most recent episode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
eh shots might be a bit much, but i think mark is incredibly weary of max’s trajectory because he sees a lot of his younger self in max.

but at the same time, you can’t tell someone like max “hey, can you dial it back a bit? just take 10% off the top.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think i've kept up with max. what's he done besides grayzone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

i say swears online posted:

i don't think i've kept up with max. what's he done besides grayzone?

he went in big with anti-vaxxers