Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

e: should I be playing with the maximum FOV?

Maximum feels a bit much but I would definitely bump it up from default. I think I have mine set to 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

explosivo posted:

Maximum feels a bit much but I would definitely bump it up from default. I think I have mine set to 90.

Isn't the default like 97?

Also I just periodically swing behind me every once in a while and almost always catch somebody

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My FOV is at 110 but I have a 42" OLED I sit at. When I was on a 27" 1440P display I typically stuck to 90-100 FOV.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mendrian posted:

Killing things in melee replenishes toughness tho.

I'm not clear on this, does it happen every time or is it random? I run toughness refresh perks and rely on them so I've never really tried out how it works without them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not clear on this, does it happen every time or is it random? I run toughness refresh perks and rely on them so I've never really tried out how it works without them.

I believe it's 10 toughness per kill by default

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mendrian posted:

I can't make flamethrower work. It kinda roots you in place and it has no long range, which are big weaknesses for Zealot. I can see how good it does its job but 'controlling hoards at close range' is something Zealot already excels at in melee. I suppose if I was running hammer for special deletion exclusively that might work but I don't really feel the flamer has the ammo to be relied on as your primary weapon.

It's not super incredible until harder difficulties where the mass stagger becomes extremely valuable. You can lock a horde in place while everyone goes ham on it and nobody's at risk of getting overwhelmed.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mendrian posted:

I can't make flamethrower work. It kinda roots you in place and it has no long range, which are big weaknesses for Zealot. I can see how good it does its job but 'controlling hoards at close range' is something Zealot already excels at in melee. I suppose if I was running hammer for special deletion exclusively that might work but I don't really feel the flamer has the ammo to be relied on as your primary weapon.

What's better than keeping a horde controlled? The horde being fuckin' dead so all four people can murder elites/specials without pressure

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it also kills elites pretty well

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I will never tire of the plasma gun and the ability to shoot specials through my friendly ogryn shields, through multiple poxwalkers

that is all

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Flame thrower's primary attack staggers elites really well

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Phlegmish posted:

Now I get why I've been taking so much chip damage without my toughness bar being depleted :downs:

I guess it makes sense. Kind of discourages getting into the thick of things, though.

I recommend putting the FOV to as high as you can stand, but YMMV. I legit miss the weird loving fish-eye effect it had in VT2, I played so long with it.

Broadly, though, with enough practice you can address big ol' hordes of various types of enemies consistently without taking any damage, let alone the occasional hit. It's easier with Agile weapons, so the Combat Blade, Tactical Axe, and Dueling Sword, and also easier with more Stamina bars since it will allow for more pushes and blocks (but particularly pushes) before you can't do either anymore.

It's really important to learn to block, dodge, and push, in that order. If you inspect a weapon you can see how many dodges in a row you can do before the dodge distance is drastically reduced, and getting into the habit of Always Be Dodging, then pausing for a second to let the dodges replenish (there is no easy indicator for this other than getting a feel for it), then repeating.

If you aren't swinging you should be blocking, and if you see a hit coming in that you won't be able to interrupt, push, or dodge, you should be ready to cancel your attack and block. Only way to really get a good grip on that is gamefeel and recognizing enemy attacks.

Not everyone pushes/push attacks as often as I do, but I work them consistently into my combos and basically do one every combo rotation. This is especially useful if your push attack is a sweep while your normals or charged attacks are not. The Tactical Axe MkII, for example, has a 3 hit combo and I'll push nearly always after going through one cycle of it. Usually it's 123>Dodge>Push>123>Repeat. You can lock an entire horde into one place with this style of play with pretty much literally any melee weapon with some practice.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

What's better than keeping a horde controlled? The horde being fuckin' dead so all four people can murder elites/specials without pressure

Whenever I assume someone else on the team is going to be able to do something because I'm supporting them I am sorely disappointed.

Also I can control a hoard with melee for the most part. The things that would make that impossible - a lack of choke point, omnidirectional hoards and such - are just as bad for the flamer as they are for melee.

I don't want to be put in a position where I'm arguing the weapon is bad. People clearly like it! I just feel likes doubling down on hoard control (melee and ranged) and in a game where I can't even be sure my team mates aren't asleep that feels like a liability.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Good advice. I've been depending on Vermintide muscle memory for the most part, but of course it's not exactly the same game (though I'd say the horde dancing carries over surprisingly well). One major difference is that, for example, with the Veteran's power sword, I'm reliant on heavy attacks and keeping my weapon charged, and I do need to create room to do that, so dodging spefically backwards becomes really important.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I know the Ogryn's Kickback isn't in vogue, but it just feels wonderful to use. A meaty blast that clears halls, penetrates crowds and knocks back those that survive just is very satisfying.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mendrian posted:

Whenever I assume someone else on the team is going to be able to do something because I'm supporting them I am sorely disappointed.

Also I can control a hoard with melee for the most part. The things that would make that impossible - a lack of choke point, omnidirectional hoards and such - are just as bad for the flamer as they are for melee.

I don't want to be put in a position where I'm arguing the weapon is bad. People clearly like it! I just feel likes doubling down on hoard control (melee and ranged) and in a game where I can't even be sure my team mates aren't asleep that feels like a liability.

I think I get what you're saying, I'm saying that the flamethrower does horde control differently than your melee weapon so it's not like the utility is completely redundant. But the most important thing for weapon selection is how they click with your brain. 99% of the time, my brain wants "melee handles hordes, gun kills hard-to-reach specials"" so I don't usually use the flamer either. Buts it's nice when another zealot hoses down an entire room so we're all able to focus on the incoming specials.

Also fwiw team mates tend to be more on the ball in Heresy+ though you're right, assuming your team is going to try to help you is overly optimistic, especially this close to release

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

I know the Ogryn's Kickback isn't in vogue, but it just feels wonderful to use. A meaty blast that clears halls, penetrates crowds and knocks back those that survive just is very satisfying.

Just give me a double barrel version and I can be the Doomgryn

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that the game crashes less and I could play more, it is true what I'd read previously: the game is lacking some epicness that was in VT2. The graphics, atmosphere and big mobs are there, but it is missing some missions like Righteous Stand, Screaming bell or of course, Skittergate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the set pieces are really lacking. Huge, glaring oversight, to be honest.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

edit: gently caress wrong thread lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's okay explosivo we're all jumping between Dwarves and Ogryns this week

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's okay explosivo we're all jumping between Dwarves and Ogryns this week

:sweatdrop:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think I get what you're saying, I'm saying that the flamethrower does horde control differently than your melee weapon so it's not like the utility is completely redundant. But the most important thing for weapon selection is how they click with your brain. 99% of the time, my brain wants "melee handles hordes, gun kills hard-to-reach specials"" so I don't usually use the flamer either. Buts it's nice when another zealot hoses down an entire room so we're all able to focus on the incoming specials.

Also fwiw team mates tend to be more on the ball in Heresy+ though you're right, assuming your team is going to try to help you is overly optimistic, especially this close to release

Sometimes I take a moment and realize we're discussing whether it's better to use a chainsaw or a flamethrower to control hundreds of zombies and I remember how cool this game is.

Fellow Zealots: anybody got any use out of the level 30 talent that lets you refresh your F on crit? I feel like the way the game's action waxes and wanes having two uses of your active right now as opposed to maybe chopping your way to another use in the fray is a bad tradeoff. Granted, I haven't found a way to maximize crit yet. I tried going all in on attack speed with the knife and still found I wasn't critting much, same with chain axe. I kind of assumed the tactical or combat axe might also specialize in innate crits but I can't be sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's quite good if you're doing the bleed/crit/toughness build with a knife w/ lacerate or a atrox axe w/ shred. You'll be critting enough that it regens relatively quickly.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Okay if I'm being honest I suck with the Eviscerator. On Malice I'm a liability. Please advise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mendrian posted:

Sometimes I take a moment and realize we're discussing whether it's better to use a chainsaw or a flamethrower to control hundreds of zombies and I remember how cool this game is.

Fellow Zealots: anybody got any use out of the level 30 talent that lets you refresh your F on crit? I feel like the way the game's action waxes and wanes having two uses of your active right now as opposed to maybe chopping your way to another use in the fray is a bad tradeoff. Granted, I haven't found a way to maximize crit yet. I tried going all in on attack speed with the knife and still found I wasn't critting much, same with chain axe. I kind of assumed the tactical or combat axe might also specialize in innate crits but I can't be sure.

Nope, I'm firmly team double F. Having two on tap is just so loving good, they are going to have to do some crazy poo poo to make the other options worth even considering.

Really it's the dependability of it. I know that I've got two in a certain time span. If I'm in the flow I end up with one recharging basically all the time. Having two guaranteed also lets you do some frankly stupid poo poo like charging into a horde with a grenade out then charging back out after you left a present behind.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don’t use it to get stuff out between your teeth

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that the game crashes less and I could play more, it is true what I'd read previously: the game is lacking some epicness that was in VT2. The graphics, atmosphere and big mobs are there, but it is missing some missions like Righteous Stand, Screaming bell or of course, Skittergate.

The maps in this game feel like the lifeless procgen maps from the Chaos Wastes. Which was fine in a free experimental update for a cool randomized roguelite mode. Not so great when they're static maps in a $40 release with no alternative.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Okay if I'm being honest I suck with the Eviscerator. On Malice I'm a liability. Please advise.

block -> push -> sweep is your bread and butter for crowd control. Against single enemies just hit them, against big fuckers like orgryn rev and stick it in their guts.

Really the strong point of it is the fact that your strike after a push comes out gently caress near horizontal with a really wide sweep, which lets you take off a LOT of heads. You really need to be using block effectively, though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

That depends. What do you find is the problem?

The Eviscerator is a strong all-rounded weapon. The basic left click attack pattern is find for dealing with single targets, charge attack -> push attack - charage attack is what you want for hoards. It's pretty fast for a two handed weapon but it's still slower than the game's speedier weapons, so you want to dodge backwards after a swing. Reserve the rev-up for dealing with ragers and the like.

It's an extremely straightforward weapon.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope, I'm firmly team double F. Having two on tap is just so loving good, they are going to have to do some crazy poo poo to make the other options worth even considering.

Really it's the dependability of it. I know that I've got two in a certain time span. If I'm in the flow I end up with one recharging basically all the time. Having two guaranteed also lets you do some frankly stupid poo poo like charging into a horde with a grenade out then charging back out after you left a present behind.

This is where I'm at too yeah. And the attack speed buff is just nothing, it lasts no time at all, like yeah if you stack it right you are very fast for a few seconds but I'm not sure 3s of blending is worth giving up double-f.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
So I found some new fixes and tried them all. Enabled game mode and Xbox game bar as well as disabling fullscreen optimizations. That seemed to do it. I no longer get frame drops during hordes. I'm thinking that the fullscreen thing helped the most as I would get all kinds of different performance based on fullscreen or borderless settings. Game Bar may have helped. I usually have it turned off because it screws with some games. I now can play the game as it seems to be intended.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mendrian posted:

That depends. What do you find is the problem?

The Eviscerator is a strong all-rounded weapon. The basic left click attack pattern is find for dealing with single targets, charge attack -> push attack - charage attack is what you want for hoards. It's pretty fast for a two handed weapon but it's still slower than the game's speedier weapons, so you want to dodge backwards after a swing. Reserve the rev-up for dealing with ragers and the like.

Do I have to block to be able to do push attacks? Or is there a bind that is just push attacks? On the off chance I get a better Eviscerator soon to replace purple Assault Chainsword and I don't get another Assault Chainsword as an Emperor's Gift.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you have to block to push attack, it’s just holding the attack button when you push

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cowcaster posted:

you have to block to push attack, it’s just holding the attack button when you push

Oh, okay. I'll have to do that more instead of trying to murderfucker every last horde I see with left click.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, pushblock is a good thing to throw into a combo if you feel like you're going to get hit before you throw out a swing.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

widespread posted:

Oh, okay. I'll have to do that more instead of trying to murderfucker every last horde I see with left click.

I usually go block push hold attack (this is a side sweep) -> follow up light attack (also a side sweep) -> backdash -> rev -> hold heavy as long as I think I can get away with -> back to block push and repeat

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Put a Squat in the game. Let me go grudge mode in Warhammer again.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

For the Zealot double F, are both charges on separate timers? I use the crit one right now and the problem I have is that I'm getting stuck in and regenerating it quickly but don't always need to use it in situations where I'm already swinging away

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That explains a lot with my Veteran when I'm running away from a horde that caught me looking for scriptures or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Put a Squat in the game. Let me go grudge mode in Warhammer again.

I'm tired of the Ogryn blocking my line of fire as Veteran, so yeah.

(holy poo poo those damage multipliers)