Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

The Pussy Boss posted:

This offseason proves that old-school stats simply don't matter in free agency anymore, I guess. Brandon Nimmo, .269 hitter who hits 10 HR a year, gets an 8 year contract. Carlos Correa, .279 hitter, career high 26 HR, gonna get Trout/Betts/Judge type money.

In addition to what has already been said, those numbers also need to be contextualized to the lower offensive environments of recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why do the pirates want a mediocre defender/spotty hitter who is just entering his big arb years?

You offered Glebyer for Soto back at the trade deadline dude

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

You offered Glebyer for Soto back at the trade deadline dude

Yeah as part of a package with like 4 other players including 2 top 100 prospects lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Still doesn't make it any less funny. Poor Gleyber lol

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I was so excited about Gleyber in the first half of the year last year, and then...fart. I guess you could say that about the entire team lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I could definitely see them moving a couple of the middle infielders for Reynolds, Murphy, or maybe a SP we haven't thought of. But I still don't really see them spending on Rodon AND Correa after Judge. They've got like 8 infielders so even if they move a couple they still have a little flexibility for the platooning and musical chairs Boone likes to play. As well as the obvious injury/performance questions.

Moving Sanchez last year certainly says that while Cashman isn't beholden to the whims of the angry Yankee Twitter and sports radio crowd they're also willing to move on past projects. So Gleyber could go. I don't think he should be dumped the way SOME people do. But if you can get Reynolds or Murphy for him/Peraza/+? I'd be sad but I'd understand it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 10, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
STAC Goat do you think the Yankees did a good job maximizing Sanchez's (or Torres' for that matter) value?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Bryan Reynolds is not being traded

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like the Pirates have all of the leverage in the Reynolds situation. Assuming they recognize that (big if) they are going to ask for the moon for him, i.e., Volpe and Peraza. I think Reynolds is a very good player but I don't think he's worth taking yourself to the woodshed over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Reynolds is coming off a 2.9 WAR season. He shouldn't cost what Soto did.....

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Yankees were 4th in MLB for WAA at 2b, the majority of that coming form Gleyber. Fangraphs had him as the 6th highest WAR 2b in the league.

He's one one of the top second basemen in all of baseball.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking Reynolds was in this conversation either unless the Yankees give up everything. And then maybe they sign Correa. But that feels way too panicky and big considering the Judge deal. But he was brought up so like... yeah. If you can get him for Gleyber, Peraza, and others then yeah... I guess you gotta do that.

mcmagic posted:

STAC Goat do you think the Yankees did a good job maximizing Sanchez's (or Torres' for that matter) value?

I think barring a crystal ball that told you to sell them at the peak of their potential and value they did what made sense. Sanchez was obviously always a defensive issue and people had been talking about him having to move to 1B since he was called up. But his offense seemed worth it. His offense proved inconsistent and the work on his defense not only didn't seem to be helping enough but seemed to be a distraction for him. They moved him in a deal with some purpose. To try and boost the defense and hope you can capitalize on a Donaldson salary dump. It didn't really work but it didn't really hurt either.

Gleyber is similar I guess. The failed move to SS probably complicated things. Again, if you have a crystal ball and you can sell him at after his peak season for something great awesome, but that's not how it works. There was no reason to trade him or Sanchez at those points and no one wanted them too. People wanted to unload Gleyber at the lowest his value was which was dumb. He had shown he could do more, it made more sense to see if he could refind that than to dump him. He refound some of it. There weren't many 2B better than him last season. He's probably not the 30 HR guy he looked like but he increased his value somewhat. If that improvement results in you being able to move him for someone you think helps the team more I get that. If you keep him as the starting 2B so you don't rush these kids and see which way he goes I get that.

I root for players. I attach to the guys in the uniform. Its why I don't want Correa as a Yankee and its why I get sad when Sanchez gets traded even if I get why it was done. There's the goofy part of me that's like "GO SIGN SANCHEZ! HE'S A FREE AGENT NOW!" But if the question is do I think the Yankees should have sold these guys off either at their peak or Gleyber at his valley then I'd say no. That's only stuff that works in hindsight or sports radio.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
HEY DIPOTO DO SOMETHING

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

The Yankees were 4th in MLB for WAA at 2b, the majority of that coming form Gleyber. Fangraphs had him as the 6th highest WAR 2b in the league.

He's one one of the top second basemen in all of baseball.

Then take him back.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mcmagic posted:

Reynolds is coming off a 2.9 WAR season. He shouldn't cost what Soto did.....

And 6 WAR the season before that AND he plays center field AND he isn't even arb eligible yet! Holy poo poo it's like they aren't the same player!!! gently caress you are so so so STUPID

EVERY GODDAMN TIME I click "view post" on one of your asinine posts I am sent into a RAGE

go back to whining about your poverty franchise only spending 400 loving million dollars on the best hitter in the league and losing in the playoffs cause they're soft or weak or whatever and KEEP BRYAN REYNOLDS NAME OUT YA STUPID MOUTH

rear end in a top hat!!!!!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Then take him back.

Yes absolutely.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

mcmagic posted:

Then take him back.

I'd gladly take Gleyber back. We'll trade you, uhhhh...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

camoseven posted:

And 6 WAR the season before that AND he plays center field AND he isn't even arb eligible yet! Holy poo poo it's like they aren't the same player!!! gently caress you are so so so STUPID

EVERY GODDAMN TIME I click "view post" on one of your asinine posts I am sent into a RAGE

go back to whining about your poverty franchise only spending 400 loving million dollars on the best hitter in the league and losing in the playoffs cause they're soft or weak or whatever and KEEP BRYAN REYNOLDS NAME OUT YA STUPID MOUTH

lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

HEY DIPOTO DO SOMETHING

The only thing keeping me sane is a 100% belief that Dipoto has had all his plans ruined by the owners refusing to let him spend money. There's no way passing up on literally everyone could've been his plan going into next year.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

HEY DIPOTO DO SOMETHING

I wouldn't hold my breath.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-staying-consistent-with-payroll-approach-while-teams-spend-heavily-around-them/

On Thursday morning, the subject of raising payroll and the Mariners’ payroll ranking was brought up again on his radio show, much to Dipoto’s obvious chagrin.

“I think this is a question that I answered last week,” he said. “We went from 23rd in payroll, to 21st in payroll, to 17th in payroll. We’ve been on a steady climb, and we are a middle market. That’s what we are in today’s Major League Baseball. Our payroll has always been a middle to top-10 payroll market. We’ve always spent commensurate with our market or higher. We’ll continue to do that. Our payroll has risen each year of this rebuild. It’s on that trajectory again.”

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

The only thing keeping me sane is a 100% belief that Dipoto has had all his plans ruined by the owners refusing to let him spend money. There's no way passing up on literally everyone could've been his plan going into next year.

At the prices and years people are getting I have no issue with Dipoto staying pat and think it was probably as much him as anyone else.

They're going to sign 1 vet OF, maybe 2, and try to upgrade off Marco's black hole in the rotation. That's probably it for the rest of the off-season except bullpen moves at the edges.

Mariners are probably a 94-95 win team next year right now assuming Julio doesn't miss extended time. Astros are probably a 96-97 win team right now. Division is within reach if you're playing really well by the deadline, you can make a move there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Once the trade market gets going I'm sure Dipoto will be all over the place because he can't help himself

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1601215295808360448

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cue some guy yelling at his TV "It's right down the middle!"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Popete posted:

cue some guy yelling at his TV "It's right down the middle!"

It's me, I'm that guy

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the ignore button is for cowards you must read every post and let the hate fill you

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

man not even one little flare with the outfield playing a bit too deep?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

the ignore button is for cowards you must read every post and let the hate fill you

:hmmyes:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

At the prices and years people are getting I have no issue with Dipoto staying pat and think it was probably as much him as anyone else.

They're going to sign 1 vet OF, maybe 2, and try to upgrade off Marco's black hole in the rotation. That's probably it for the rest of the off-season except bullpen moves at the edges.

Mariners are probably a 94-95 win team next year right now assuming Julio doesn't miss extended time. Astros are probably a 96-97 win team right now. Division is within reach if you're playing really well by the deadline, you can make a move there.

At some point, you've got to be alright with the new cost of doing business. Why did Dipoto and ownership feel alright giving Robbie Ray $115mil/5 years, Luis Castillo $108mil/5 years, and Julio $209mil/12 years last year if they weren't alright opening the pocketbook again this year with a super strong free agent class? And it's really hard for me to feel that confident about this team when the lineup still looks so weak compared to the Astros and to what it could've been. We have to rely on similar seasons from Cal and Julio, and while I'm not saying I expect them to have a set of terrible sophomore slump seasons, it's a lot to ask for from two young players. We also have to hope that Suarez can repeat his bounceback 2022, and that Ty France isn't broken like how he looked last season. Wong and Hernandez are great additions, but top-to-bottom it's not as good a lineup as it could or should be, and we have to hope that Kelenic/Taylor Trammell/Sam Haggerty or like Cade Marlowe can round out this lineup.

Pitching rotation and bullpen definitely does a lot for this team, but I remember how lights-out the 2010 Mariners' pitching staff was and how that turned out because the offense couldn't loving score. I can only hope that it doesn't happen again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

There are like 2 posters on this site that i hate. The rest are fine. Including folks who aren't the biggest fans of mine.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

camoseven posted:

i dont really have an opinion on bryan reynolds or whatever but i appreciate this post, it made me laugh on an otherwise lovely friday so thank you camoseven

and yeah, ban the ignore button. if you cant read a post or just scroll past it then what the gently caress!!! (this opinion is not directed at the op because it was a funny post like i said)

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 10, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pungry posted:

At some point, you've got to be alright with the new cost of doing business. Why did Dipoto and ownership feel alright giving Robbie Ray $115mil/5 years, Luis Castillo $108mil/5 years, and Julio $209mil/12 years last year if they weren't alright opening the pocketbook again this year with a super strong free agent class? And it's really hard for me to feel that confident about this team when the lineup still looks so weak compared to the Astros and to what it could've been. We have to rely on similar seasons from Cal and Julio, and while I'm not saying I expect them to have a set of terrible sophomore slump seasons, it's a lot to ask for from two young players. We also have to hope that Suarez can repeat his bounceback 2022, and that Ty France isn't broken like how he looked last season. Wong and Hernandez are great additions, but top-to-bottom it's not as good a lineup as it could or should be, and we have to hope that Kelenic/Taylor Trammell/Sam Haggerty or like Cade Marlowe can round out this lineup.

Pitching rotation and bullpen definitely does a lot for this team, but I remember how lights-out the 2010 Mariners' pitching staff was and how that turned out because the offense couldn't loving score. I can only hope that it doesn't happen again.

I just don't see the massive need for offense. More's always better but they have a legit looking lineup going into this season.

I don't think the plan is for Trammell or Kelenic to start the year as an everyday LFer and I don't think that's what's going to happen.

I think that there are at least 5 guys in the Mariners lineup now who can give you a 130+ wRC+ season at the plate -- Julio, Teo, Cal, Geno, Ty -- and if the idea of platooning Wong and Moore at 2B works out you could probably add that there too. Add a vet LFer like WIl Myers or AJ Pollack or Adam Duvall or whoever and you really only have one hole in your lineup every day in Crawford.

Biggest move left is going to be getting Marco out of the rotation IMO.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

maffew buildings posted:

Here's the secret: I always click view post, which just adds to my annoyance that I had to take the extra step to see such terrible posting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1601346974325751808

Lmao what the gently caress fourteen years four hundred million and he said no? I’ll assume heyman is just wrong

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Owners that want to win are cool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I honestly genuinely believe Judge wanted to stay in NY for all the discussed reasons and it was about making sure they don’t cheap out and he gets fair market value. So like I could see him passing on a crazy deal outside the market value as long as the Yankee deal is already crazy enough. he wasn’t gonna give the Yanks a discount but 360 million isn’t one. But I also think he wasn’t gonna just sign with whoever gave him the most money. At that level of money you can afford to leave some on the table.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
"Were prepared"
"Were contemplating"

Heyman's talking to whoever Nightengale was but phrasing it more accurately. Fits with the local and other national reports that the Padres were genuinely interested but didn't make an offer.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
$400m over 14 years is a way worse AAV than $360 over 9 years. I know it's not like 39 year old Judge is gonna get $40+ million on a contract after this one, but having to play out through your age 44 season in exchange for a slightly more ridiculous total earnings figure doesn't really seem that appealing.

(That article also says the hypothetical Padres contract probably would have been rejected by the league for luxury tax circumvention, which is surprising to me given how lax sports leagues usually are about stuff like that)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1601346974325751808

Lmao what the gently caress fourteen years four hundred million and he said no? I’ll assume heyman is just wrong

It probably was pretty much 380-390 or so over 9 and a bunch of bullshit years tacked on at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

maffew buildings posted:

I like what some other poster said about using ignore as a gentle reminder not to engage with some people, not necessarily to truly ignore them.