Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo there is no paint repair (other than repainting the whole part) that doesn't look considerably worse and more attention grabbing than just leaving the scratches and polishing the area as best as you can. It literally always looks like absolute poo and drags the price down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Lol if u even clean ur bike

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Lol if u even clean ur bike

This but unironically.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I know it will rain at least once a week while I am riding. Nature's quick-wash.

I do try to remember to clean my dad screen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I need to clean my bike as the roads are covered in salt now but if I hose it down my driveway is going to turn into an ice rink for when I need to leave for work tomorrow morning.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Use your neighbor's driveway?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Sounds like you need to salt your driveway

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Leave it there. Salt is a preservative and it will prevent your chain from spoiling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chain brine

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
add some vinegar and spices, get a nice pickle going

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Moisture is very bad for your chain and causes corrosion so definitely get a bunch of salt on there, dehydrate that bad boy, then lube with olive oil or melted butter

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Moisture is very bad for your chain and causes corrosion so definitely get a bunch of salt on there, dehydrate that bad boy, then lube with olive oil or melted butter

I have some opinions about olive oil ratings for this application and I will tell you what Big Olea doesn't want you to know. Pls click like and hit subscribe

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Only use the finest extra virgin olive oil on your Ducati. KTMs are ok with lard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harleys don't need anything because they're belt drive BUT if you have a chain conversion, you can only run bacon fat straight from the pan

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I really feel like KTM needs refined ghee/clarified butter just to be extra difficult.

Harleys manual calls for bacon grease but spit will do in a pinch.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ghee would be for Royal Enfields

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
you guys don't oil your belts

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I oil all my leathers, belts included.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mineral vs synthetic or, to use engineering terms, cast iron pan juice vs the little trough on the george foreman grill

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

===================================
EDIT:
Got some ether starting spray. It didn't cough a single time when spraying it towards each of the 4 carb throats. Neither did it help to slide open the slide and squirt some directly onto the throttle butterfly thingies, opening the throttle, and starting.
It sat on the charger for an hour.

EDIT 2:
Got the advice to check the plugs themselves. Because the bike hasn't seen full operating temperature in 6 months, and only having run for 5 minutes at a time at a high idle, the plugs may very well be fouled.
===================================

Is this a thick enough spark? Seems somewhat weak to me, but i have no reference to what's normal. The number 4 spark plug lead is comparable. Maximum spark distance is about 5mm on either of the outside cylinder spark plug wires. It has two coils.

FZR refuses to start, i'm currently trouble shooting it. During this starting attempt, battery voltage slowly dipped to below 10 volts while cranking. It is currently charging. Doing another attempt in half an hour or so.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/590236456942043136/1053298074992250940/VID_20221216_132526741.mp4

The fuel hose to the carburetor pukes out enough fuel. I can't smell much at the moment due to the flu, so idk if there's fuel smell in the exhaust or whether in 6 weeks time, the carb has fully clogged up. 6 weeks ago it started and ran for the last time...

Going to buy some starting spray now. It coughed once on brake cleaner but the can's empty so it doesn't atomize properly. I wanna rule all this crap out before loving around with clogged jets and stuff.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 16, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is NOT how you check spark :catstare: you need to put a plug in the lead and put the plug thread against a metal part of the bike.

If it doesn't start with ether then I'd say the plugs are fouled provided you have the coils around the right way etc and it ran previously.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why are you using brake cleaner as starting fluid

Did you know that if you have the chlorinated kind, it turns into phosgene (the WWI poison gas) when exposed to UV light, say from an electric arc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Why are you using brake cleaner as starting fluid

Did you know that if you have the chlorinated kind, it turns into phosgene (the WWI poison gas) when exposed to UV light, say from an electric arc

I was led to believe burning it is what did it, interesting

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both, it looks like.

Tetrachloroethylene posted:

Slowly decomposes on contact with moisture producing trichloroacetic acid and hydrochloric acid. Decomposes in UV light and in temperatures above 150 °C forming hydrochloric acid and phosgene.

Pohanish, R.P. (ed). Sittig's Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemical Carcinogens 6th Edition Volume 1: A-K,Volume 2: L-Z. William Andrew, Waltham, MA 2012, p. 2520

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Chlorinated solvents are pretty much prohibited in almost all consumer products in all of the EU. Brake cleaner here is just very volatile hydrocarbons and often used as a starting fluid or air intake leak finder. Usually without benzene too. Luckily we do still have ether starting spray although undoubtedly some people somewhere are getting high off of it.
I am aware of phosgene production when (trying to) combust chlorinated solvents. Also of chloroform able to form unstable peroxides and becoming 'energetic' when left in storage for too long.

Checking for fouled plugs is the next step.

As for why i don't unscrew a plug and ground it to the chassis to test for spark - it's because it's not a completely wrong way to do it (these spark length testers have existed since forever in various different shapes: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7FEAAOSwkDthY~9n/s-l500.jpg) and because it was getting dark already at 16:30 because of this stupid winter thing. AFAIK i need to bend the FZR's radiator out of the way to be able to remove the plugs, so that's not something i wanted to do in darkness and freezing temperatures.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 16, 2022

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol europeans

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

Chlorinated solvents are pretty much prohibited in almost all consumer products in all of the EU. Brake cleaner here is just very volatile hydrocarbons and often used as a starting fluid or air intake leak finder. Usually without benzene too. Luckily we do still have ether starting spray although undoubtedly some people somewhere are getting high off of it.
I am aware of phosgene production when (trying to) combust chlorinated solvents. Also of chloroform able to form unstable peroxides and becoming 'energetic' when left in storage for too long.

Checking for fouled plugs is the next step.

As for why i don't unscrew a plug and ground it to the chassis to test for spark - it's because it's not a completely wrong way to do it (these spark length testers have existed since forever in various different shapes: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7FEAAOSwkDthY~9n/s-l500.jpg) and because it was getting dark already at 16:30 because of this stupid winter thing. AFAIK i need to bend the FZR's radiator out of the way to be able to remove the plugs, so that's not something i wanted to do in darkness and freezing temperatures.

But now you have to take the plugs out anyway. You're doing in two steps something that you can definitively do in one step. Also I don't trust those gap testers to give a legitimate result because they don't have a resistor the way plugs do.

right arm posted:

Lol europeans

There really is a bizarre compulsion to do things in a complex and inefficient way isn't there

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not all plugs have resistors, though I'm not sure how prevalent that is in bikes.
The resistor reduces EMF noise from the plug. As example from personal experience, running an MSD digital ignition on a system with non-resistor plugs results in a very badly running engine.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Slavvy posted:

There really is a bizarre compulsion to do things in a complex and inefficient way isn't there
No joke I changed the Triumph's main lightbulb this morning, watched some youtube videos to prep and in all of them they removed the headlight bucket in the process. I assumed I was missing something but nope, they really all could've just stacked more towels under it, kept the bucket attached and not messed with the vertical alignment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not all plugs have resistors, though I'm not sure how prevalent that is in bikes.
The resistor reduces EMF noise from the plug. As example from personal experience, running an MSD digital ignition on a system with non-resistor plugs results in a very badly running engine.

Literally all bikes since about 1990

Remy Marathe posted:

No joke I changed the Triumph's main lightbulb this morning, watched some youtube videos to prep and in all of them they removed the headlight bucket in the process. I assumed I was missing something but nope, they really all could've just stacked more towels under it, kept the bucket attached and not messed with the vertical alignment.

YouTube is like wikipedia, there's no guarantee that anyone on there is actually right

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Literally all bikes since about 1990

YouTube is like wikipedia, there's no guarantee that anyone on there is actually right

Aye and it's why channels like Delboy's Garage are so dangerous as he deletes any and all comments that he doesn't like, so when he does something extremely dangerous like running an engine up to temp before opening the radiator cap there's nobody in the comments pointing out how loving dangerous it is. Viewers watch it and have zero feedback that it might be idiotic.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

But now you have to take the plugs out anyway. You're doing in two steps something that you can definitively do in one step. Also I don't trust those gap testers to give a legitimate result because they don't have a resistor the way plugs do.

It might seem to you that it is inefficient, but trust me - i don't do anything without thinking 'is this a waste of time'. I try to avoid touching 0 degree C metal kneeled on a pad of styrofoam on the sidewalk as much as i can. Rather spend it indoors next to the christmas tree.
Furthermore, learning how different parts of the machine function is a goal in itself and never wasted. I could just call the shop guy and tell him to pick up my bike and fix it - i have the spare cash - but you don't learn anything from that.

If the spark plugs are easy to remove like in the average car, of course i'd unscrew them right away. On my parents' car it's a 5 minute job.

However, the FZR plugs are wedged in between the cam shaft covers, in a deep hole that is pretty hard to clean out (pun not intended, a bit of sand and some spider nests collect there) so removing them is not a trivial job (at least not to me). If i would have removed them, i'd spend something like 45 minutes. If i *then* figure out they're not sparking because the ignition circuit is faulty, i would have wasted 45 minutes.

Therefore i'd rather waste 10 minutes making sure the things that send the spark to the plugs is actually working. With some starter fluid, i know that it's not the carbs that are gummed up with stale fuel.

Turns out, the ignition system does work fine, the fairly puny spark is normal according to another FZR owner, so the next step is putting in the effort to remove the plugs and checking them out - and they're nasty and all sooted over. So i've ordered new ones. Should i try to clean them up? No, to me that would be a waste of time because they're not that expensive and god knows how old these are.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 17, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a very long explanation about not wasting effort taking the plugs out which is then undermined by the fact that you had to take the plugs out in the end but you do you

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of taking out plugs, on my 1988 GSX600F the plug wells are so narrow that I had to get a regular "thin walled socket" and turn it down a millimeter to actually get it down there. I'm sure there's some Suzuki tool for the job but really.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Speaking of taking out plugs, on my 1988 GSX600F the plug wells are so narrow that I had to get a regular "thin walled socket" and turn it down a millimeter to actually get it down there. I'm sure there's some Suzuki tool for the job but really.

More common than you think, I have several shaved down sockets for the job

In all likelihood you're meant to use the sheet metal plug tool that comes with the bike

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Things like this is what leads to spending $$$ on snap-on 12pt deep sockets because sometimes they're they only thing that'll fit. I'm glad you were able to bodge up a solution without resorting to that though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, I also have an 18mm socket that I turned down on the lathe just enough to fit in the plug well on the Hawk GT. 7 dollar DURALAST socket from AutoZone :toot:

I can't imagine that the extra millimeter of metal would really affect the engine design, so I suspect that they do it deliberately so that an average socket can't fit. This forces most people to use the little dinky sheet metal thing, hopefully keeping them from ruining the head by cranking down the plug with a two-foot breaker bar or an impact wrench.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 18, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you ugga dugga a sparkplug you should have to stand trial in The Hague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Lungboy posted:

Aye and it's why channels like Delboy's Garage are so dangerous as he deletes any and all comments that he doesn't like, so when he does something extremely dangerous like running an engine up to temp before opening the radiator cap there's nobody in the comments pointing out how loving dangerous it is. Viewers watch it and have zero feedback that it might be idiotic.

Is Delboy a bad channel? I was watching his video on rebuilding 4 pot brake calipers. Nothing from that particular video seemed dangerous or sketchy, but I've never watched his channel otherwise.

Opening a hot coolant system is loving insane, tho.