Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
so glad Matthew Phillips came up to sit in the press box while the flames continue to look slow and awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

You're right, it should have been a match and an execution.

If they want to suspend for it that's fine, suspend everyone who does it and not just the loveable giraffe. When that kind thing happens to Bunting more than once without even a penalty called, that sets the expectations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

uh, yeah.

He tried to break the guy's brain. On purpose.

Give me the gun, I'll do it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

If they want to suspend for it that's fine, suspend everyone who does it and not just the loveable giraffe. When that kind thing happens to Bunting more than once without even a penalty called, that sets the expectations.

Bunting's been hit over the head at center ice with a two hander?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's refreshing to see the powerplay winning the Pens games instead of losing them games

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1596699187370156033

Tony DeAngelo, Alpha Male

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jack Hughes with the Pavel Bure 26:13 TOI tonight including a 7 minute shift at the end of the game where the Devils had their goalie pulled early and had the puck in the Isles end for pretty much all 7 minutes (one goal, but a couple of crossbars short alas).

Was very amusing to watch

e: Also Romanov KOed Wood on a very Stevensesque east-west hit. Miles is gonna be in the dark room for a bit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Jack Hughes with the Pavel Bure 26:13 TOI tonight including a 7 minute shift at the end of the game where the Devils had their goalie pulled early and had the puck in the Isles end for pretty much all 7 minutes (one goal, but a couple of crossbars short alas).

Was very amusing to watch

e: Also Romanov KOed Wood on a very Stevensesque east-west hit. Miles is gonna be in the dark room for a bit

Giving up a goal with 9 seconds left in a period feels like the equivalent of like 3 goals lol. thats why they lost this game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Coaches continue to hook the Caps with extra pulled goalies and Ovi pots another ENG.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Bunting's been hit over the head at center ice with a two hander?

Not at center ice, but yes. Twice so far this year.

Aphrodite posted:

uh, yeah.

He tried to break the guy's brain. On purpose.

Give me the gun, I'll do it.

Strong disagree with tried to break his brain. Went to push back against the stick that was headed at his own face, his stick slid down Durzi's and clipped him. There's no way there was any intent there.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Context is everything to the NHL. Engvall wasn’t battling for position to score, he wasn’t going after a loose puck, he wasn’t in the middle of a scrum where there’s lots of give and take and activity for plausible deniability. The refs and the league have no choice but to punish him, it doesn’t matter that guys give harder shots to worse areas every penalty kill.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao Engvall is pretty clearly following through to hit him there and its in the neck. That's a pretty easy call.

He wasn't trying to kill him but he was absolutely doing that on purpose and that's a suspension or should be every time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It absolutely does matter, if the intent with suspensions as punishment is that they're a detterent and a method to clean up the game in order to keep players safe. It doesn't matter where you are on the ice, if you're battling in front of the net or skating through the neutral zone a hit to the head is a hit to the head from the perspective of player safety.

To be clear, the only reason I don't think he should be suspended is because of nearly identical actions that don't even result in penalty calls. In a vacuum 1 game is perfectly fine, but the amount of poo poo they don't call sets the standard.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jeff Skinner tried to murder Jake Guentzel for clipping Craig Anderson’s head when he had the puck frozen. I don’t blame Jeff for standing up for his goalie but uh he went way too far and will likely get suspended. He also got a five-minute major that cost the Sabres the game. A very bad choice! I hope Guentzel is ok.

Edit: he got a ten-minute misconduct and was ejected so yeah, he will be suspended. Maybe they’ll only give him one game? :ohdear:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jeff Skinner tried to murder Jake Guentzel for clipping Craig Anderson’s head when he had the puck frozen. I don’t blame Jeff for standing up for his goalie but uh he went way too far and will likely get suspended. He also got a five-minute major that cost the Sabres the game. A very bad choice! I hope Guentzel is ok.

Edit: he got a ten-minute misconduct and was ejected so yeah, he will be suspended. Maybe they’ll only give him one game? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/notmalkinego/status/1601404856245563394?s=20&t=9wGkEDQrjwrGFkdCzTUy2Q

That was the play. He's definitely sitting for at least one for that.

I get losing his mind there because Jake whacked him but he prolly shouldn't have gone for his face.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

It absolutely does matter, if the intent with suspensions as punishment is that they're a detterent and a method to clean up the game in order to keep players safe. It doesn't matter where you are on the ice, if you're battling in front of the net or skating through the neutral zone a hit to the head is a hit to the head from the perspective of player safety.

To be clear, the only reason I don't think he should be suspended is because of nearly identical actions that don't even result in penalty calls. In a vacuum 1 game is perfectly fine, but the amount of poo poo they don't call sets the standard.

Can you show evidence of these nearly identical actions?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It rules that the Caps crowd started chanting “Ovie!” when Seattle pulled their goalie.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I was so hoping Wahlstrom would Pedigree him. Ah well

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

There aren't any nearly identical actions because there's a big difference between an incidental high stick during a battle on the boards and a frustrated chop over the head away from the puck at center ice, it's a genuinely comical thing to do

What we can all agree on is that DOPS is playing calvinball with high sticking suspensions. Kuznetsov got one game for something way more absurd and dangerous, Kaprisov got a fine for something at least as blatant as this, and Rasmussen got two games for a sloppy high stick that occurred after a check that injured Krejci.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/notmalkinego/status/1601404856245563394?s=20&t=9wGkEDQrjwrGFkdCzTUy2Q

That was the play. He's definitely sitting for at least one for that.

I get losing his mind there because Jake whacked him but he prolly shouldn't have gone for his face.

Guentzel did two lovely things (slashing Anderson when it was clear the puck was frozen, then slashing Skinner) but Skinner obviously also went way overboard. Kind of surprising coming from a guy who really doesn’t fight or get many penalties at all.

Edit: Guentzel punched Skinner in the back of the head as he was trying to get up, too. Not sure why he wasn’t penalized for that, too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Can you show evidence of these nearly identical actions?

Sure - this one only got 5k, two handed intentional chop.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/wilds-kaprizov-fined-5k-for-roughing-after-cross-checking-kings-doughty/

This wasn't even a penalty?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2Z4kegrDc

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What we can all agree on is that DOPS is playing calvinball with high sticking suspensions. Kuznetsov got one game for something way more absurd and dangerous, Kaprisov got a fine for something at least as blatant as this, and Rasmussen got two games for a sloppy high stick that occurred after a check that injured Krejci.

The DoPS is playing calvinball with all of it. I agree Engvall deserves a game. However, given DoPS's history I doubted it'd get one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Guentzel did two lovely things (slashing Anderson when it was clear the puck was frozen, then slashing Skinner) but Skinner obviously also went way overboard. Kind of surprising coming from a guy who really doesn’t fight or get many penalties at all.

Yeah it was weird seeing Skinner give a poo poo, if only for a few seconds

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
God bless the NHL. The lottery-bound Arizona Coyotes defeated the 21-3-1 Boston Bruins 4-3 despite being outshot 46-16 thanks to Karel Vejmelka standing on his head and Lawson Crouse scoring a goal with 14 seconds left in the game. It was the Coyotes' first win over Boston since 2010 and it happened in the year where the two were the most polar opposite of each other in the standings.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

T-Bone posted:

God drat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0cITn23aqCE

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pungry posted:

God bless the NHL. The lottery-bound Arizona Coyotes defeated the 21-3-1 Boston Bruins 4-3 despite being outshot 46-16 thanks to Karel Vejmelka standing on his head and Lawson Crouse scoring a goal with 14 seconds left in the game. It was the Coyotes' first win over Boston since 2010 and it happened in the year where the two were the most polar opposite of each other in the standings.

The Swayman difference!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1601418109008547840

Pretty sure Kovalev's was longer but not "recorded" but it was pretty funny to watch this, he didn't even look particularly gassed given that the Devils had the puck the entire time

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 10, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/steambo85208529/status/1601570752343728129

Fox is going to win the Norris again this year. Took a skate to the face last night and shook it off. Makar otoh... :lol:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol what a fuckin shithead thing to say

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
He also shot the puck at shesterkin after the whistle

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1601418109008547840

Pretty sure Kovalev's was longer but not "recorded" but it was pretty funny to watch this, he didn't even look particularly gassed given that the Devils had the puck the entire time

Except the brief bit where he had to make two empty net shot blocks on the Islanders

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man was Swayman bad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

so glad Matthew Phillips came up to sit in the press box while the flames continue to look slow and awful

I am glad also. $17m a year until 2031 for Huberdeau and Weegar.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

I am glad also. $17m a year until 2031 for Huberdeau and Weegar.

I knew Huberdeau’s numbers weren’t awesome, but Weegar has 6 points?? Michael Stone has 7 in 10 less games lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That last goal the coyotes scored was arguably offside but also the Bruins shouldn't have been tied with the Coyotes to begin with. That Vejmelka fella is pretty good.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Last time I looked Tkachuk had more points than all the new additions (Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri) combined... But I don't look at that anymore.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How's Sam Bennett doing?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I guess it's possible all of the players calgary signed just got bad at the same time but it seems more likely Sutter is just (as his history would suggest) still an offensively stifling coach and that doesn't mesh at all with Huberdeau's playstyle.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That last goal the coyotes scored was arguably offside but also the Bruins shouldn't have been tied with the Coyotes to begin with. That Vejmelka fella is pretty good.

I thought Swayman should have just covered that or tried to play it to his d. There was next to no time left. I doubt Arizona scores off a face off and the Bruins have better faceoff guys anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

kill me now posted:

Except the brief bit where he had to make two empty net shot blocks on the Islanders

yeah that squibber he blocked was exhausting