Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It even had phone numbers you could call where the only reply you'd get was that the lines were busy. They tried to make it as realistic as possible and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This reminds me of when M Night Shymalan had that 1-2 hour special on the Sci Fi channel where it was implied he had special ghost powers. It never aired again, I assume from controversy. Not really subtle, I suppose, but if you didn't have access to the internet back then I guess it was.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Philippe posted:

It even had phone numbers you could call where the only reply you'd get was that the lines were busy. They tried to make it as realistic as possible and it owns.

The number was actually real, it's famous to BBC viewers of the era as their call-in line, 081 811 8181, and the intent was people would hear a "The show isn't real, don't be afraid, but you can tell us your ghost experience after the beep" type message.

Problem was that number was *impossible* to get through to at the best of times, people in London got to cheat because they could drop the area code, so the engaged tone was accidental.

It certainly added to the realism!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BooDooBoo posted:

Ghostwatch was clearly presented as fiction, after 9pm, which is the time UK TV is legally not for kids.

They announced very clearly it was fiction at the start, they put a "Screen One" ident at the start so people knew it was a BBC movie, and the credits included a writers credit.

Despite this the BBC received 30,000 complaints and an 18 year old man, who had learning difficulties and a mental age of about 13, killed himself a few days after it aired because (it is alleged) his house had faulty heating, as the Ghost in the show made noises in the pipes. His suicide note was interpreted as a reference to the show: "if there are ghosts I will be ... with you always as a ghost".

It has been released on DVD and on Blu-ray, but it's never been re-aired in the UK.

It's easy to find on Youtube.

I saw it at the time and was terrified, it's a very effective horror film. It's use of friendly well-known faces who are mostly known for live TV presenters playing themselves, and filming it as if it were actually live, made it feel overwhelmingly real.

So real in fact, some people could miss the first minute or so and completely think it's real.

That makes me wonder if every country/society had a “War of the Worlds” incident as people gained mass exposure to radio plays or tv or whatever.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Warbird posted:

That makes me wonder if every country/society had a “War of the Worlds” incident as people gained mass exposure to radio plays or tv or whatever.

Criminal podcast had an episode about Ghostwatch, and their very next episode was about a radio station in Ecuador hearing about the War of the Worlds incident and thinking "hey this sounds like a good idea."

It reeaally wasn't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Warbird posted:

I feel I need to point out that the UK had mass exposure to radio plays and tv for some while before 1992.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Can confirm that Ghostwatch is a good time.

Saw Knives Onion: A Glass Out Mystery yesterday, and there's a bit where the main cast are administered a plot-magic anti covid spray to their mouth. This makes everyone gag with the exception of Benoit Blanc, who just kinda shrugs it off. I assumed that was a nod to him being cool as a cucumber, but given that we later see him living with Hugh Grant, who is presumably his lover, it's probably fair to assume that Blanc solved the greatest mystery of all: the gag reflex.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite little aspect of GhostWatch is that two of the presenters were married to each other in real life. Mike Smith in the studio and Sarah Greene at the house. As things start to unravel at the house, non-actor Smith does a really good job of starting to panic about what might be going on with Greene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Warbird posted:

Should be noted that apparently people didn't literally think Martians were invading, except maybe kids; the way the show was presented and talked about invasions and gas made them assume it was news broadcasts of a regular invasion.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't the british have a show where they tricked someone into thinking they were dead

Not quite the same but magician Paul Daniels did a live Halloween special in the 80s where, while performing an escape artist bit with an iron maiden, the door slammed shut on him, the screen dimmed, and an announcer in the studio told the audience to leave in an orderly fashion. Roll credits with no audio.

I saw it at the time and it freaked little me out. There were thousands of calls to the BBC asking if he was okay.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

franco posted:

Not quite the same but magician Paul Daniels did a live Halloween special in the 80s where, while performing an escape artist bit with an iron maiden, the door slammed shut on him, the screen dimmed, and an announcer in the studio told the audience to leave in an orderly fashion. Roll credits with no audio.

I saw it at the time and it freaked little me out. There were thousands of calls to the BBC asking if he was okay.

Good to know that American dad was following a historical event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuoG3arFQQ

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

franco posted:

It's why when they beheaded Daniel Radcliffe on the QI Christmas special they were careful to put in a last shot showing that he was OK.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BooDooBoo posted:

The number was actually real, it's famous to BBC viewers of the era as their call-in line, 081 811 8181,

You just triggered an ancient memory of that number being recited as a musical jingle on some show, possibly "Live and Kicking"
I even remember they altered it when the number start changed to 0181

Thanks brain, good use of resources

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bitterandtwisted posted:

You just triggered an ancient memory of that number being recited as a musical jingle on some show, possibly "Live and Kicking"

Could be worse. You can remember a jingle for an actual number; all my brain's managed is the jingle to a fake emergency number from The IT Crowd.

But knowing The IT Crowd, I suspect that joke was based on the jingle you're remembering. It certainly had a lot of 1s and 8s.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Multicoloured Swap Shop used to have the phrase ‘That’s 01 if you’re outside London’, and my Midlands number had only 6 digits.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cleretic posted:

Could be worse. You can remember a jingle for an actual number; all my brain's managed is the jingle to a fake emergency number from The IT Crowd.

But knowing The IT Crowd, I suspect that joke was based on the jingle you're remembering. It certainly had a lot of 1s and 8s.

But... but the joke is that its like 40 digits :stare:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

franco posted:

Went to an escape artist live show thing and the big finale was the guy escaping from a tank of water and they really built up how dangerous it was as part of the act and I realized woof i don't like the idea of potentially seeing someone die in front of me

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Well, good news! It actually wasn't dangerous at all. Magicians and escape artists are performers, not thrill seekers.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Right, but part of the entertainment is the idea that it's dangerous and that was the part that turned me off a lot is what I was saying

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's like going to wrestlemania and complaining that they some just talk their differences out. Yeah, okay sure, you don't have to enjoy watching people pretend to fight and it's completely reasonable to nope out. I just wonder what brought you in in the first place.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's like going to wrestlemania and complaining that they some just talk their differences out. Yeah, okay sure, you don't have to enjoy watching people pretend to fight and it's completely reasonable to nope out. I just wonder what brought you in in the first place.
Card tricks are significantly less stress inducing I assume.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

That Italian Guy posted:

Card tricks are significantly less stress inducing I assume.

You're not worried about the magician shuffling and accidently having one card go flying off and cut someone's jugular?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

franco posted:

I remember that. It really loving upset me. I'm still kind of angry about it to be honest - he was well known as a kids' entertainer.

e: I loved Ghostwatch, but I suppose I was older then. And ghosts aren't real whereas dying via big spikes seemed possible to little me.

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Nov 27, 2022

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

bitterandtwisted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmNPyQ-OOp0

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

That's the one!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Noel Edmonds killed a man in 1986, but it was in a rehearsal and not broadcast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late,_Late_Breakfast_Show posted:

Death of Michael Lush and cancellation

On 13 November 1986, volunteer Michael Lush was killed during his first rehearsal for another live stunt. The stunt, called "Hang 'em High", involved bungee jumping from an exploding box suspended from a 120 ft-high crane. The carabiner clip attaching his bungee rope to the crane sprang loose from its eyebolt during the jump. He died instantly upon impact of multiple injuries, and The Late, Late Breakfast Show was cancelled on 15 November 1986 after Edmonds resigned, saying he did not "have the heart to carry on". The planned episode that was to be aired that night was replaced with a showing of the film One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Eh pretty good, but he’s no Matthew Broderick.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But... but the joke is that its like 40 digits :stare:

It's not THAT bad, 01189998819991197253 is only twenty digits!

A dumb subtle and probably unintentional bit about that joke, to fit with the thread: part of the joke is that it's trying to be easier to remember and harder to confuse than the old emergency number, which one character tries to recite and accidentally says the US emergency number. The new, 20-digit number does include both the UK and US emergency numbers, so it somehow is successfully serving that purpose!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unkempt posted:

Noel Edmonds killed a man in 1986, but it was in a rehearsal and not broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Rj3N9Pmz8

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know Moonfall (2022) gets a really bad rap but according to the research conducted on my website you can’t actually disprove anything that happens in the film

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

die hard 3 in the elevator, he scopes them out and stuff, its basically a version of the Kitano scene that Refn also used for Drive. but, the subtle detail is this: McClane uses his new york cop kung fu style to force the Russian guy to shoot into the wall, and the German guy to shoot into the roof. Yet, when he exits the elevator, those guys are dead and McClane is covered with blood. It is a conundrum

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh also, they use several trucks and schemes to steal 120 billion dollars lol

classic dr evil

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I just noticed this in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, when Raul Duke first gets to the hotel and is tripping out in the lobby. There is a cowboy on the phone talking about a young woman who's been brutally murdered and that they took her blood and removed her penal glad.

Later in the film Duke's attorney gives him "adrenochrome" which he says he got of a satanist freak who didn't have any money to pay him - he also mentions he only took the creeps case because he was worried he might have "picked up a letter opener and gone after my pineal gland" if he refused

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

true detective, ep 5

when they cross the walkway over the water in the beginning, they are in exact lockstep. when they walk back over, they come gradually out of sync

about minutes 8 and 18

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Carthag Tuek posted:

true detective, ep 5

when they cross the walkway over the water in the beginning, they are in exact lockstep. when they walk back over, they come gradually out of sync

about minutes 8 and 18

gonna lose my place on plex but holding you to this

better be worth it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I haven't watched anything beyond S1 of True Detective and that was only when it was new.

That was 100% a deliberate artistic decision

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I really did not enjoy TD S1. I found it engrossing and compelling.

But there was an odd bit. I think Matt M's Rust Chole character was trying to figure something out and was in a bar talking to a former victim and current male prossie.

Thing was I read an article that directly paralleled that about a guy in some flyover, maybe Illinois or Indiana or Michigan but he specifically stated to a reporter that there was an institution of politicians and cops that did stuff to kids. Talking about it was a death sentence.

You can't google it (for goodness sakes don't try) and I even bookmarked it but it 404'd.

The ending of True Detective is not a resolution. I see it as a Lethal Weapon homage. Woody get's Matt a carton of cigs and they both jump up and high 5 to say they've killed the villain. Solved all the crime.

Except they explicitly haven't.

It's all still there.

I'm not a hill dawg email qanon cheese pizza truther but I believe there are things like Epstein that remain.

And they didn't really finish the case.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The ending always felt like a saccharine cop out

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

TD season 1 is just so loving heavy and emotional and grim and weird that I’m really glad they went for the ending that they did. Maybe it went against the themes of the show but it just felt like a relief after everything we witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MokBa posted:

TD season 1 is just so loving heavy and emotional and grim and weird that I’m really glad they went for the ending that they did. Maybe it went against the themes of the show but it just felt like a relief after everything we witnessed.

Truth. There was nowhere else to go but to make it Homeland or loving The Handmaid's Tale at some point.

Wrap it up 'B'

Still didn't feel right but oh well. Season 3 was good. 4 had its good parts too.