Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

jesus loving christ, got smashed game 1 because I kept a loose hand without a play until t3.

Now I have to mulligan to 6 and well

mulled to 5

had to play a naked sentinel because that was my only play and it immediately gets disfigured lol

time to animate my crown i guess

edit: they had 2 disfigures, 0-2. should i have kept that mull to 6?
I don't usually comment on drafts or plays because others beat me to it and I don't want you to feel like I'm piling on, but for my own improvement in watching others I'll speak up and give my opinions. I have several questions about your plays and decisions.

Game 1, Turn 1: Why didn't play Mishra's Bauble or your Soul-Guide Lantern? Lantern I can understand, you'd ideally use it to snipe an Unearth card, but you passed with mana up and could have used Lantern later to draw a card. Mishra's Bauble though, no excuse, it's literally free and you can crack it any time to peek at their next card and draw an extra one if you are behind.
Game 1, Turn 2/3: I would have led with the Zephyr Sentinel at the end of the opponent's end step rather than play the crown. Your opponent added to the board, you did not. Playing the crown now also doesn't help because you wouldn't have any mana to equip a cheap creature anyway! I would probably have even flashed it to snap block the Argothian Sprite if you wanted to trade with it or a trick, but I get why you'd want to save it for a bounce effect.
Game 1, Turn 4: Block the sprite with your flier! You're behind on life and probably don't want to eat a trick, but given your lack of a board presence and having the Weakstone's Subjugation in hand, you can at least punish an attacker if they tried to Gaia's Gift for the +1/+1 counter and make their critter bigger. You could even consider blocking the mutt to exile it with the lantern later. But because you didn't block, you immediately lost to the giant board they developed. And play your bauble already! You also cannot afford to play lantern now. You needed to lock down their sprite with subjugation when they were tapped out, then flash in Zephyr Sentinel.
Game 1, Turn 5: I think giving the opponent the scry would have been worth it to flash in the sentinel and kill their 1/1 which would have swung in too. Then Bauble (hello!) would have seen what they're grabbing if they brought it to the top.
Game 1, Turn 6: I'd use the Mightstone's Animation on the Soul-Guide Lantern. You could draw a card off the enchantment, make a 4/4 that blocks them on the ground, and then if they tried to kill it, you'd still have a mana up to sac it and draw another card. Sure, opponent would then get their fliers out, but what could you do, except maybe dig for answers with Bauble?
Game 1, Turn 7: Not tapping the Plains was a mistake. Your 2-drop languished in your hand and cost you even more damage...
Game 1, Turn 9: Bauble played way too late. I understand you wanted to leave it for Prowess but that's now how your deck is supposed to go. You could have gotten another creature, maybe, if you had dug it up earlier...

Game 2: You had a perfectly fine hand with Mishra's Bauble and Soul-Guide Lantern to find your Plains ASAP, and ideally you'd draw your earlier curve cards. I think it was a mistake to mulligan, especially down to five. Your opponent had a curveout but you were down two cards for no reason.

Game 3, Turn 5: You needed to block here. Make them have it. You take a lot of damage and then get blown out later by the one card that wrecks your animated creature.

I dunno, looking at your games, you seem to mulligan a lot and make some strange play choices when you let opponents slap your face rather than forcing a trade or trick. Yeah, life is just a resource, but limited demands you develop the board!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Olive Branch posted:

I don't usually comment on drafts or plays because others beat me to it and I don't want you to feel like I'm piling on, but for my own improvement in watching others I'll speak up and give my opinions. I have several questions about your plays and decisions.

Game 1, Turn 1: Why didn't play Mishra's Bauble or your Soul-Guide Lantern? Lantern I can understand, you'd ideally use it to snipe an Unearth card, but you passed with mana up and could have used Lantern later to draw a card. Mishra's Bauble though, no excuse, it's literally free and you can crack it any time to peek at their next card and draw an extra one if you are behind.

With Wing Commando in the opener I can see not playing either on turn 1. You can play Bauble on turn 4 to activate prowess or the etb of Lantern to catch an Unearth card you trade for early. But when I play my third and final land I'm def slamming Bauble to dig toward a 4th. Holding it forever and not even activating it the turn when you're facing lethal damage on the board is completely indefensible though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Well, living the dream. Finally managed to pop a Helm of Hosts on a Boulderbranch Golem and make the Boros aggro deck cry. It's was the 3/3 golem, but still. Even better was when they prison sentenced it.

Final tally 6-3 with this pile. Lots of helm hijinks. Last game, I made the play I had been leery about all game, and helmed up my precursor golem. 9 power, every turn is so tempting, even if 6 is unhasted. Then was sibling rivalry snagging 5-6 golems. Ah well, it was fun. It wasn't good, but probably the most memorable draft I've had in ages.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

A Moose posted:

quoting my own post because the situation has evolved

The guy who originally posted his concede warning thing on r/magicarena got banned because people figured out he knew what he was doing, now he's posting on the maga magic subreddit lol

It sounds like these basically only went out to people who where gaming the system to hit mythic quickly. So if you're doing that, they can tell. I don't think there are going to be many false positives, you can concede games you lost or just don't want to play without consequences.
Is it just something like conceding repeatedly while locked at a tier 4 rank?

Seems like a lot of work to grind for 2 packs, I don't really bother with ranked after hitting plat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Algid posted:

Probably this. There's a myth that you can concede a bunch in unranked and then play ranked but if WOTC are letting your unranked matches affect your ranked MMR, they are an order of magnitude stupider than I thought, and also, an order of magnitude smarter

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Algid posted:

Seems like a lot of work to grind for 2 packs, I don't really bother with ranked after hitting plat.

Basically yeah, you can bottom out your MMR at a rank floor, and you'll get matched up against players with similar lovely MMR. There was an article written about it last year with math that goes way over my head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate ranking up sometimes. The jank you face in gold. Just lost to some stupid jeskai pile that invoke justices a tirisian mindbreaker(?), which is apparently a magic the gathering card, and then uses alchemists gambit to kill me out of nowhere when I had 22 life, they had 3, and way more than lethal on board

Like seriously, for real, how do these piles of nonsense always have it????

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What would you have preferred them to reanimate with Invoke Justice?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

precision posted:

I hate ranking up sometimes. The jank you face in gold. Just lost to some stupid jeskai pile that invoke justices a tirisian mindbreaker(?), which is apparently a magic the gathering card, and then uses alchemists gambit to kill me out of nowhere when I had 22 life, they had 3, and way more than lethal on board

that deck sounds sweet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

I respect this. "Call an ambulance... but not for me"

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

reignonyourparade posted:

that deck sounds sweet

Yeah I want to play it

also, shameful to let them live long enough to get 7 mana on the board

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

precision posted:

Mostly they don't and lose before you know they're a pile of nonsense

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

precision posted:

would you rather be matched up against interminable monoblack decks

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Jank decks are fun opponents, because half the time they are just being creative and it's fun to put that part of your brain to work. Running Mindbreaker AND Alchemist's Gambit? You have to appreciate the commitment to being off-meta and their own style.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

would you rather be matched up against interminable monoblack decks

Yes, because I usually win against mono black lol

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I posted this on the Discord channel asking for advice but I figured I'd ask here for help too. I had a hashtag-blessed draft for Traditional this morning and got a lot of good stuff for UB draw two.

This is the deck with, I assume, the best cards that could work together...

...And this is where I settled on. Is Sundering Titan worth running instead of a Koilos Roc, or Urza, Powerstone Prodigy, or my other Weakstone Subjugations? Obviously the name of the game is "draw my cards, grow huge, copy stuff with Helm of the Host," and maybe Sundering Titan is a "win more" kind of card.

EDIT: Now that I think on it, maybe Sundering Titan is completely worthless because I'm likely pitching all my extra lands. I'm not gonna hold up mana on my turn except to maybe cast removal/Stern Lesson, so...

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Sorry to ruin the fun parade but I would punt Titan and Helm both. Play the Metamorph and the Cohort honestly, with Flask and Refractor. Wing Commando if you are scared

Helm is just way too slow, your 3/3 menace dudes can put on a ton of pressure

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I drafted the ultimate deck

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ajelenbogen/status/1601722514438164480

I voted for explosion, but this was a very cool thought experiment

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Titania's, I'm expecting to use the scry and draw to figure out if I'm scooping or not before I hit T6.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Time posted:

Not enough information.

How many Evolving Wilds/shuffle effects are in this 3+ colour deck? Can I get Titania's Command back if I bottom it?
How many artifacts/activated abilities are in it? Is the value of a powerstone worth more than scry 2?
What are the Prison/Explosion targets in my opponents deck? Which is more important to me?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Time posted:

explosion seems like a strictly better play than prison sentence on 3, specially vs BR sac

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

Not enough information.

How many Evolving Wilds/shuffle effects are in this 3+ colour deck? Can I get Titania's Command back if I bottom it?
How many artifacts/activated abilities are in it? Is the value of a powerstone worth more than scry 2?
What are the Prison/Explosion targets in my opponents deck? Which is more important to me?

Agreed, but in the spirit of Twitter I voted anyway. Elenbogen is fielding qs if you want to do some interaction (I don’t)

babypolis posted:

explosion seems like a strictly better play than prison sentence on 3, specially vs BR sac

I was thinking the scry could make some good progress towards Titania BUT you are correct that rb sac can just turn that prison sentence into another card. Doing Some More Thinking, good points

wei
Jul 27, 2006
The scry 2 seems better to me, I don't care that my RB sac opponent gets extra value if I'm eventually casting Titania's

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

wei posted:

The scry 2 seems better to me, I don't care that my RB sac opponent gets extra value if I'm eventually casting Titania's

Yeah this is where I was at initially (obviously based on the above) but elenbogen is pushing back with the idea that assuming you hit land 3, cards or lands both have a lot of value to you, which is the least valuable situation a scry can be. I’m not sure I agree but it was cool to see some of the logic

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I'd probably ship Prison Sentence because if I haven't hit a 4th land by T4 I can at least still play small golem after burning out their early play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kashuno posted:

I'd probably ship Prison Sentence because if I haven't hit a 4th land by T4 I can at least still play small golem after burning out their early play.

yeah. against some decks i think you put back the golem or the command, but against RB you deffo want those

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Toozler posted:

Sorry to ruin the fun parade but I would punt Titan and Helm both. Play the Metamorph and the Cohort honestly, with Flask and Refractor. Wing Commando if you are scared

Helm is just way too slow, your 3/3 menace dudes can put on a ton of pressure
You had good advice with the Wing Commando for Titan and decided to add a second Weakstone's Subjugation to cut the Helm too (but Metamorph and Cohort didn't make it in). Went 3-0 with the deck! :)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

2 days until explorer anthology and Mono G ramp gets insane! I've been checking out what's good in explorer now, and there's a LOT of cool tier 2 decks. 2 different Fires decks that weren't there in September when I last played a bunch of explorer. There's Enigmatic Incarnation with Yorion, and Keruga fires. Apparently leyline Binding and Temporary Lockdown enabled a BUNCH of stuff.

Overall I think the tier 1 decks are still the best, but got less dominant, so tier 2 is closer in strength. We'll see what other new archetypes the anthology enables.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Went 3-0 with the deck! :)
:cheers:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There used to be a Tier 3 Big Red deck with Nykthos but I can't find it anymore

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

What's the point of all these soldier tokens if I never get to attack with them? You'd think attack with 40 creatures would be easy with mono-W soldiers.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rap Game Goku posted:

What's the point of all these soldier tokens if I never get to attack with them? You'd think attack with 40 creatures would be easy with mono-W soldiers.

Ah see you want UW soldiers, that way the soldier tokens turn into "surprise! A Bunch of +1/+1 fliers!" when you have enough and slam Harbin down.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rap Game Goku posted:

I think if you made a deck that was both Soldiers and Mill, you would get a lot of early scoops lol

Hang on lemme brew it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

precision posted:

I think if you made a deck that was both Soldiers and Mill, you would get a lot of early scoops lol

Hang on lemme brew it

That was my last draft deck. 4-3 never even drew the mindbreaker.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Question: I had Phyrexian Dragon Engine in the graveyard and used Rivaz of the Claw to cast it (as opposed to Unearth). From everything I can figure out, it's ETB ability should have triggered, but it didn't - is that a bug, or am I misunderstanding something?

edit: oooh wow "enters the battlefield from the graveyard" is different from "can cast from the graveyard", there goes that deck lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Question: I had Phyrexian Dragon Engine in the graveyard and used Rivaz of the Claw to cast it (as opposed to Unearth). From everything I can figure out, it's ETB ability should have triggered, but it didn't - is that a bug, or am I misunderstanding something?

edit: oooh wow "enters the battlefield from the graveyard" is different from "can cast from the graveyard", there goes that deck lol

Adding on to this, reanimating unearth creatures doesn't work with Olivia, Crimson Bride. Guess how I found out?

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
I'm so excited. In tomorrow's update, Arena now has an email box. You get messages from WOTC, although you can't reply or send anything out.

Forget about bringing full Pioneer to Arena. Now you have an "in-box".

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This GW Angel deck in explorer is maybe the worst “good deck” I’ve played in a while.

TesseractMinotaur posted:

I'm so excited. In tomorrow's update, Arena now has an email box. You get messages from WOTC, although you can't reply or send anything out.

Forget about bringing full Pioneer to Arena. Now you have an "in-box".

Aren’t we getting that super good EA this week? Why so upset?

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
an inbox for news and support messages takes the same amount of time as implementing and releasing over two thousand cards, you see