Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I guess that's unfair, they could be intrigued. Like the time Berman and Braga were describing the episode Minefield where a mine gets stuck on the hull of the ship to the studio execs in charge of Enterprise and the studio stopped, intrigued, to ask "what is a... hull?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wasn't it so that the temporal war forced upon them by the executives as a storyline to allow exciting cameos from previous shows, and it materialized in ways such as [ scene missing ].

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was basically that the studio was demanding another TNG sequel like Voyager and they inserted the temporal cold war to appease the studio into letting them do a prequel by going "this means it's a TNG sequel! Stuff from after TNG can happen! :ninja:". They wanted to do a straight prequel, which is why the whole TCW was such low-effort.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

which is why the whole TCW show was such low-effort.
I stopped watching it regularly part-way through season 2, and intermittently dropped in during seasons 3 and 4, but my main memory of ENT is how many episodes were recycled plots from the other Berman-era shows, and not even particularly interesting ones at that. They really rubbed it in with the episode that shamelessly retold DS9's 'Shadowplay', and even cast Rene Auberjonois as the main guest star! (The do-over of VOY's 'Friendship One' less than a year after that episode aired was also especially lazy and insulting.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, and way too many of the rest of the episodes in S1-S2 were basically either "a bridge officer is captured" or "the shuttle is stranded" or "Enterprise is taken over by X".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I guess that's unfair, they could be intrigued. Like the time Berman and Braga were describing the episode Minefield where a mine gets stuck on the hull of the ship to the studio execs in charge of Enterprise and the studio stopped, intrigued, to ask "what is a... hull?"

The exact studio exec in question at the time was Les "I love sexually assaulting all the pretty women who work for me" Moonves. And his #1 question whenever Rick Berman pitched him anything was "Why have I somehow not fired all of you people yet?" because he was quite famous for hating Star Trek and sci-fi on TV in general and tried to cancel Voyager multiple times at UPN only to be shot down by folks higher up the chain of command at Paramount who knew that killing Voyager meant killing UPN as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I don't think they were regularly meeting that high up. Would've been one of his minions.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Maybe he just liked dunking on Star Trek nerds.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Astroman posted:

Maybe he just liked dunking on Star Trek nerds.

Who doesn't

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Les Moonves is a sex offender who hates Star Trek and people who like Star Trek. He is the ultimate Star Trek fan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sounds more like a Star Trek mod than a Star Trek fan

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Doing a rewatch of DS9 and got to episode where Kai Winn shows up the school and its such a good loving scene. drat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I got to the Outcast and i want to quit this show forever. goddamn i'm not gonna be able to finish this, that hits way too close to home.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arivia posted:

I got to the Outcast and i want to quit this show forever. goddamn i'm not gonna be able to finish this, that hits way too close to home.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That's a good one. That ending hurt, though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope we'll somebody stop finding new reasons to go, "wow, that episode was ahead of its time"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DoubleCakes posted:

That ending is what the Ontario government tried to do to me. I don’t want to see it succeed in a tv show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

LividLiquid posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

That ending is what the Ontario government tried to do to me. I don’t want to see it succeed in a tv show.

I think the worst part is the forced conformity. I'm cis-het so I'll get a lot of this wrong, but I kind of look it something like a trans "cure" should be something like a Cochlear implant for deaf people. That some people might want to take a "be adjusted to be comfortable in your own skin" treatment but others see as denying their essential right to be the person they choose to be.

Everybody should get to choose.

I'm concerned that as we gain more knowledge of genetics we'll start seeing potential parent decide to alter their children "for their own good." Why let a kid be trans or gay or black when life will be "better" if they're cis, straight and white?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No to ALL of that. Absolutely not.

We're not a disease to be cured. You don't "give people a choice" to do eugenics.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone posted:

I think the worst part is the forced conformity. I'm cis-het so I'll get a lot of this wrong, but I kind of look it something like a trans "cure" should be something like a Cochlear implant for deaf people. That some people might want to take a "be adjusted to be comfortable in your own skin" treatment but others see as denying their essential right to be the person they choose to be.

Everybody should get to choose.

I'm concerned that as we gain more knowledge of genetics we'll start seeing potential parent decide to alter their children "for their own good." Why let a kid be trans or gay or black when life will be "better" if they're cis, straight and white?

You summarised exactly why a cure would be horrific at the end of your post already, but also a cure in the sense you're describing would just be a fundamental personality transplant. If we're going to have outlandish sci-fi solutions it may as well be bespoke body redesign that let people live in whatever body they like than intensive mind-warping brainwashing from a ripped parable about toalitarianism and enforced conformity

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In the year, 2525.......

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LividLiquid posted:

No to ALL of that. Absolutely not.

We're not a disease to be cured. You don't "give people a choice" to do eugenics.

They're going to have that choice anyway, at least some of them. That's where this leads. The idea that wealth will mean that instead of just thinking they're better than other people, the rich will design themselves to be qualitatively, measurably "better."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My child

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1601486680401510400

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

This page doesn't exist.

What was it?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It was Humanoid History. It no longer exists because an anti-time anomaly stopped life from forming.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Abducted by an Iowan.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:lol:

I had always wondered what effect Gillian going with Kirk meant for the timeline, and if it meant that they returned to a slightly different timeline than when they left.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What if the probe was only just friends to those two whales all along and the reason the probe set out for Earth is because they were abducted and disappeared for a few hundred years?

Ever think of that!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I had always wondered what effect Gillian going with Kirk meant for the timeline, and if it meant that they returned to a slightly different timeline than when they left.

It's a closed loop timeline obviously. Her leaving is why all the whales died. She could of saved them... but alas.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

It's a closed loop timeline obviously. Her leaving is why all the whales died. She could of saved them... but alas.

So when V'ger was seeking out the Creator, it was actually looking for Gillian :thunk:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

dr_rat posted:

Meanwhile, the most rabid anti-peace folks descended from the crew of that whaling ship.

We were the Klingons all along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:lol:

They went out of their way to establish that she had no social life, romantic prospects, or close family members, so she was probably going to die a couple decades later having made basically no meaningful impact on the world.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

nine-gear crow posted:

They went out of their way to establish that she had no social life, romantic prospects, or close family members, so she was probably going to die a couple decades later having made basically no meaningful impact on the world.

I watched Star Trek IV with a friend who hadn't seen it before and I decided to look up the Beta canon for fun.

All rough copy paste and edits...

"After being transported to 2286, Gillian became the inaugural patient of the Federation Department of Temporal Investigations' Temporal Displacement Division."

"In late 2286, Taylor went with Kirk on a boat trip for a month while examining dolphins, and witnessed the birth of the whales' baby Harpo. Prior to the trip, she spoke with his crew about his many missions and how he was a "spectacular kisser."

"In 2310, she headed an oceanographic study aboard the drift station Madrigal on the planet Pacifica. On her team was Harpo, the son of George and Gracie. Harpo made first contact with an underwater colonial civilization hiding on the ocean floor."

And then the Mirror Universe Whales

"In the mirror universe, the two whales brought back by the crew of the ISS Enterprise interacted with the alien probe and were transformed into huge armored leviathans who then traversed the tsunami-swept oceans, destroying entire coastal cities."

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

MillennialVulcan posted:

"In the mirror universe, the two whales brought back by the crew of the ISS Enterprise interacted with the alien probe and were transformed into huge armored leviathans who then traversed the tsunami-swept oceans, destroying entire coastal cities."

That owns

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

u ❤️ 2 c it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whale done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

It's the reverse of when they just decided to leave Rios behind in 2022 in Picard S2