Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mdemone posted:

Now this is the answer I needed. But does that sort of thing account for starting pitchers getting tired with pitch count?
that effect is outweighed by getting your best players more PAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I mean weights of balls *are* concrete proof.

The question left hanging is the why, not the "Are certain batches of balls juiced?"

Whether the "Why" is because MLB saw a chance to push Judge over the finish line, or because their manufacturing standards have gotten lax, or because they want to put a finger on the scales for betting markets, or because they're generally an incompetently ran league office that creates problems for themselves that have to be solved with substandard results is up to anyone's guess.

The fact that none of the sports betting conglomerates seem to have a problem with the differing ball batches doesn't say good thing about anybody involved.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The fact that none of the sports betting conglomerates seem to have a problem with the differing ball batches doesn't say good thing about anybody involved.
yup, sure makes it look like they're getting tipped off and are thus cool with it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Betting sites probably don't want to stir the pot and have federal regulators looking into and possibly regulating them even more.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
IIRC each spot in the linup average around 20 more PA over the course of the season than the next one

So not really a huge difference but it exists

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

Betting sites probably don't want to stir the pot and have federal regulators looking into and possibly regulating them even more.

Yeah I’d guess it’s less of a conspiracy and more of a “don’t rock the boat” deal.

I imagine there’s less conspiracy in all of this. But that’s the result when you deny transparency. You look like you’re covering something up whether you are or aren’t and you let peoples imaginations and agendas run wild.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone who thinks that MLB isn't covering up some ball shenanigans hasn't read the article. It's exhaustively sourced.

The places the mid ball showed up - ASG, post-season, NYY games starting in August as people started to realize Judge could actually do it. These are the times when the most eyes are on the product and it's in MLBs interest to maximize offense for those games. I don't think there's a gambling angle, just a ratings one. I mean it's really hosed up any way, how MLB is willing to gently caress with equipment and drug policies when it sells more tickets while sincerely insisting that you can fairly compare Honus Wagner to Mike Trout. And I don't buy that it had zero effect, ball clubs gameplan around a certain kind of ball, they construct rosters based on statistics created by a certain kind of ball, and if that ball suddenly changes, whether more live or more dead, then some clubs are going to do better and some are going to do worse. MLB is picking winners and losers

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 11, 2022

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Meanwhile, in the Dominican Republic,

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Yeah I tend to think it's more likely just this: sports betting apps are in the very early days of partnering so heavily with the sports themselves and enjoying fairly insignificant regulatory burden as opposed to "traditional" gambling. Like even if the companies weren't tipped off and are actually super pissed at MLB for putting their thumb on the scale, making a big stink about it in public or filing any kind of lawsuit would immediately draw federal interest and scrutiny, and potentially result in them stepping up regulatory efforts.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I’d guess it’s less of a conspiracy and more of a “don’t rock the boat” deal.

this is how a whole lot of actual real-life conspiracies work just fyi

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

elentar posted:

this is how a whole lot of actual real-life conspiracies work just fyi

If you’re saying most “conspiracies” are cases of a bunch of parties just turning their heads at something shady because it’s convenient to do so rather than actually conspiring with someone I’d agree.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I agree Manfred is a monster who must be stopped

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

STAC Goat posted:

If you’re saying most “conspiracies” are cases of a bunch of parties just turning their heads at something shady because it’s convenient to do so rather than actually conspiring with someone I’d agree.

well this plus many institutions in society mostly organically come to structure themselves in such a way to make it convenient, even desirable for people to turn their heads, but almost never in such a way that any one group could be said to making and enforcing decisions

(sorry will stop there, just in the middle of grading a pile of conspiracy culture class final assignments this weekend)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mdemone posted:

Now this is the answer I needed. But does that sort of thing account for starting pitchers getting tired with pitch count?

if they face weaker hitters first they'll need fewer pitches to get them out

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Meanwhile, in the Dominican Republic,

His poor neighbors....

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

His poor neighbors....

Somehow this is the most mcmagic post to ever exist

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The real conspiracy is everyone trying to keep it quiet so Roger Maris Jr. goes away

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1601663280757772289

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shiroc posted:

The real conspiracy is everyone trying to keep it quiet so Roger Maris Jr. goes away

:hmmyes:

I'm imagining some scenario where Zach Hemple donates some of his collection to determine if the balls are juiced. Five minutes alone with Babe Ruth's #715?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Let's win a championship this year, Mets.

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1601795612181250048?s=20&t=qu1c2gZnx7r_oB91aR20UQ

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
NL East making it rain

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
5/75 is a hell of a deal in this market if Senga is even half as good as people think he is in MLB.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol welp

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jesus Mets

Also good Christ Mariners

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
:lmao:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Senga was available for 5/75 and instead the Cubs gave Taillon 4/68. Okay Hoyer.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Senga went for such a reasonable deal compared to Yoshida

Sydin posted:

Senga was available for 5/75 and instead the Cubs gave Taillon 4/68. Okay Hoyer.

Senga allegedly wanted to play on a big market win now contender and well..

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

Jesus Mets

Also good Christ Mariners

Doesn't seem like they wanted to go as many years.

Senga had multiple 6 year offers and reportedly the Red Sox were going to go 7.

3 years vs. 5 or 6 years matters a lot to guy signing his first MLB deal in his 30s, I imagine.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

welp sure am glad Atlanta got their ring before all this came along, they're gonna have like the 4th or 5th biggest payroll in baseball and it still won't be half what the Mets are spending

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

elentar posted:

welp sure am glad Atlanta got their ring before all this came along, they're gonna have like the 4th or 5th biggest payroll in baseball and it still won't be half what the Mets are spending
The Marlins are going to have like 1/8th of the Mets payroll next year

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
steven cohen spend thru it

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
What does that roughly bring their payroll to now?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What does that roughly bring their payroll to now?

I saw $421,000,000 payroll + tax outlay for the 40 man

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs are probably done making any FA deals.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the Ricketts have to make sure they have enough to spend on Trump's 2024 campaign

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Cool so it's just gonna be Tallion and the corpse of Cody Bellinger. That's loving awesome

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

elentar posted:

its gonna make the 6th division title in a row all the sweeter

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This is the first move of the offseason that actually makes the Mets better, as opposed to just more money for the same team, but older.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1601583039255293952?s=46&t=7dMwJsFM1OGOv4YoSmT8Fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

What a king :allears: