Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Are the Android Apps for reading CBZs in the OP up-to-date or are there other recommendations?

As to Windows readers, I'd definitely recommend taking CdisplayEX out of the list. The creator died like a decade ago and the forks that have been coming out ever since are malware-laden. I've been using YACReader for years on windows and it's the best approximation of OG CDisplay, and I think it has a Chocolatey package if you are into that.

https://www.yacreader.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Toshimo posted:

Are the Android Apps for reading CBZs in the OP up-to-date or are there other recommendations?

As to Windows readers, I'd definitely recommend taking CdisplayEX out of the list. The creator died like a decade ago and the forks that have been coming out ever since are malware-laden. I've been using YACReader for years on windows and it's the best approximation of OG CDisplay, and I think it has a Chocolatey package if you are into that.

https://www.yacreader.com/

I have not kept that up to date nor have I been using Android for CBZs. I hope someone has a recommendation for you.

I will update the Windows list. Yeah, I still use CDisplay, but I also had to deal with some crap that it installed a few years ago. I just don't deal with their updates. Still, not worth leaving it there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I have not kept that up to date nor have I been using Android for CBZs. I hope someone has a recommendation for you.

This was posted a few months ago:

Heavy Metal posted:

A couple more tidbits, you can still get a download of a cbz or pdf for a lot of Image comics, via Google play books. On a store page for a book where you click About Book, if it says "this content is DRM free" it allows a download. That's the only way I buy digital comics, as well as 2000AD's online shop which has downloads etc.

Perfect Viewer is a great viewer for Android I use.

Anyway, updated the list. It's definitely not something I keep on top of, please let me know if there are recommendations to add or remove.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Comixology having a dc sale, cheaper than usual, if there is anything one is willing to use Comixology to pick up.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/comics-store/sales/?ref_=sv_kstore_cmx_2&_encoding=UTF8&slot=desktop-atf-3

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Anyone know if there’s a way to lock stuff out ComiXology? I put it on my kid’s iPad and downloaded a bunch of my old stuff I thought he’d like, but there’s a good amount of R rated stuff in there, can I hide that or set it to not download without a password or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Archiving's gone unfortunately (what happens to stuff you archived? :iiam:)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Anyone know if there’s a way to lock stuff out ComiXology? I put it on my kid’s iPad and downloaded a bunch of my old stuff I thought he’d like, but there’s a good amount of R rated stuff in there, can I hide that or set it to not download without a password or something?

I just opened up comiXology on my Android phone and got a notification that one can hide individual issues or titles. They're not locked out, but you don't display them.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rincewinds posted:

Comixology having a dc sale, cheaper than usual, if there is anything one is willing to use Comixology to pick up.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/comics-store/sales/?ref_=sv_kstore_cmx_2&_encoding=UTF8&slot=desktop-atf-3

Superman: Red Son for $2? Yes please

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
Maybe a stupid question but has DC universe gotten any better in the last year or more? I subbed way back when it had movies on it but I was always more interested in the comics side. I'd specifically be interested in the navigation and discovery interfaces. I've had a hankering to read some Neal Adams Batman recently. Marvel Unlimited has kept me a year subscriber for the past few years because their interface is actually pretty decent I find.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not super experienced with either system, but I've been using them for a book club (ie, being given a list to read). I find it just fine to use, pretty much similar to Marvel Unlimited. Filtering my library seems a little better and I like being able to make my own lists. Doing a search for specific issues is a bit of a pain, I do that on my PC instead of my tablet when I can. I'd guess a big problem with that is looking for a specific, say, Action Comics issue and having to dig through 1,000 issues.

One thing that annoys me is it freaking the gently caress out when I'm off network. Doesn't show covers properly, gives an annoying pop-up that I can't always dismiss, but reads just fine once I'm in a book.

I mostly use it on an iPad.

One thing we've run into is various issues missing. Like, we read Armageddon 2001 and half of the annuals weren't on there. I'm talking about Superman, Batman, Justice League, Action Comics. We read the Eclipso run and the two Eclipso books that bookended it weren't on there. Everything featuring Hawkman was on there, though!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 5, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just got DC Infinite and it's definitely better than the Marvel Unlimited app on Android tablets at least.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Skwirl posted:

I just got DC Infinite and it's definitely better than the Marvel Unlimited app on Android tablets at least.

Interesting, how so?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Website not worthless for one

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Neither is great but DCI is definitely easier to use. Marvel did a big update a year or so back that really screwed up their UI

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Still frustrating on both if you want to read an event or won't do chronological reading order, it will just stick to whatever your reading

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also if you like sideways two page reading you can forget it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CocktailsAndInk/status/1615737498726023168?t=wd03hzPvvSKGdVxgg-X9vA&s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

DC Universe Infinite question: can you reorder a list that you have created? It seems to be locked in the order that you have added the individual issues. Welp, one of my lists, I added an issue from the wrong "volume" and putting in the correct issue put it at the end of my list. The only fix I see is redoing the list as a whole.

It's just a reading list and not a big deal, but it's BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've never been able to figure out if you could. Their entire interface is awful.

My favorite bit of DC infinite is you can download issues, but are unable to access them if you have no internet or phone access. 🙃

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I am able to!

I'd tell you how I do it, but I just tap on the screen a bunch until it let's me read my stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wish that worked for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1631369101062053888?s=20

I haven't read ElfQuest in 25+ years but I remember really enjoying it as a kid.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

They were published online a while ago and I read the first volume and enjoyed it, I want to get back to it and read the rest...someday.

It looks like the version on Humble is the "Complete Elfquest" edition, which is very high resolution but also B&W; most of the comics were originally published in colour, and the (print) Complete edition was published B&W to keep costs down.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hear about this Omnibus app thing, apparently Image is joining up with it. And the article says they'll allow the ol' drm-free downloads I enjoy, etc, could be something.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/image-vault-ahoy-valiant-sign-up-to-omnibus-digital-comics-app/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The creators of Comixology are starting a new digital comics publisher with some, uh, interesting ideas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/13/business/comic-books-creators-dstlry.html

quote:

Creators of comic books are “famous for being mistreated by publishers,” said David Steinberger, a co-founder and the chief executive of DSTLRY, a new company that wants to give writers and artists a greater stake for their creative efforts.

Comic book characters can be lucrative intellectual properties, particularly when they make the leap from the printed page to the silver screen, but they primarily benefit the companies that own them. It is a rueful tradition that goes back to the earliest days of the industry. The creators of Superman sold their rights to the Man of Steel for $130 in 1938, the year he debuted, not knowing the global recognition and longevity he would gain.

Unlike the creators of Superman, the founding creators of DSTLRY will retain ownership of their characters and concepts, as well as have an equity stake in the company. DSTLRY will produce oversize print comics as well as collectibles, including vinyl figures and posters. The publisher will also offer comics digitally — but only for a limited time. Once the sales window closes, the digital copies will be available only in a virtual marketplace for collectors. The seller will set the price, and a portion of resales will go to the creators.

“The main drive here is to create a more sustainable and equitable future for creators,” said Chip Mosher, the other co-founder of DSTLRY and its chief creative officer. “That’s our macro goal — benefiting the creators, and in turn benefiting readers and retailers.”

Publishing models for comic books are on a spectrum. On one side, the company is king: DC and Marvel Comics reap the primary benefits of the success of flagship characters like Batman and Captain America, which earn millions annually for their publishers.

On the other end are publishers like Image Comics, which have a creator-owned model. Image published “The Walking Dead,” which was a financial windfall for its creator, Robert Kirkman. In between there are many companies that will take a chance on new properties but usually for a share of the intellectual property rights. Comics creators for AWA, which was established in 2019, received stock in that publisher.

The initial comic book creators for DSTLRY are a murderers’ row of talent. They include the writers Brian Azzarello, Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV and Ram V and the artists Mirka Andolfo, Elsa Charretier, Lee Garbett, Jock and Jamie McKelvie.

Another creator recruited for the company is Tula Lotay, the founder of the Thought Bubble Comic Art Festival in Yorkshire, a county in northern England. Ms. Lotay, who will draw and write stories for DSTLRY, said the opportunity excited her.

“We literally co-own the publishing company, which is amazing,” she said. “Aside from that, I know Chip and David know my body of work and trust what I’m doing, and so it feels like I have absolute freedom to be as creative as I want to be.”

The first comic from DSTLRY is “The Devil’s Cut,” which will have self-contained stories by most of the founding creators. It will be available at comic book stores around the country and in time for Comic-Con International, the pop culture festival planned for July 20-23 in San Diego.

The DSTLRY founders are no strangers to working together. In 2007, Mr. Steinberger founded Comixology, a digital comics distributor that Amazon acquired in 2014. Mr. Mosher was the head of content for Comixology.

“We are really honored by the founding creators’ faith in us and their good will and the good will that is out there for doing something like this,” Mr. Mosher said.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember hearing about some digital things being limited and then sold on markets with zero issues! They were protected with cryptography and used as a currency...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is the name of the company? Is it some uniquely terrible way of spelling Distillery? Or do you have to say D-S-T-L-R-Y each time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How did we get from 'digital is amazing, you never sell out of the thing so everyone can get the album/book/movie they want' to 'gently caress you, only 2000 copies ever minted'? And can Scott Bakula or the new guy please quantum leap back and fix it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That just sounds like NFTs?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Yeah but like the artists will make actual comics instead of varients of whatever 4chan fetish poo poo sells and hopefully get the lions share of the money

Nft was made with the intention of paying digital artists for work and show it was "owned" by said patron

Never intended as a speculation market for garbage avatar art

If Mike mignola, sam Keith or Linda Medley wanna make money off of me using this or any other method I'm ok with it. It's not like they destroy the comics or it's self deleting right?
...right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

quote:

The publisher will also offer comics digitally — but only for a limited time. Once the sales window closes, the digital copies will be heavily pirated 

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Upsidads posted:

Yeah but like the artists will make actual comics instead of varients of whatever 4chan fetish poo poo sells and hopefully get the lions share of the money

Nft was made with the intention of paying digital artists for work and show it was "owned" by said patron

If Mike mignola, sam Keith or Linda Medley wanna make money off of me using this or any other method I'm ok with it. It's not like they destroy the comics or it's self deleting right?
...right?

But since they can reintroduce the comic to be sold doesn’t that either make a speculation market or it does nothing with no in between

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's """"""not"""""" an nft lol

quote:

MacDonald: I know you’ve used the term “digital collectibles” in some early PR, which is what they’re calling NFT’s nowadays. So let’s be real clear about this. Are you doing NFTs?

Steinberger: You’re going to buy our books with dollars. And only on DSTLRY.co. One complaint from creators is something that affects both collectors and creators, getting their work stolen and sold as an NFT an OpenSea. And as soon as you have a hit NFT, OpenSea fills up with people looking like you, trying to take your name and make an account for a little bit of time. They might fool a bunch of people. If you see anything from DSTLRY on OpenSea or anywhere else on a public NFT, that’s not us.

MacDonald: Is the blockchain involved with this?

Steinberger: We’re considering a ledger database. So it gets written into a ledger so that we can prove ownership and give people discounts on the next issue. Whether you own this issue, or maybe a variant cover only you can get, or even in real life experiences – we’re planning some fun stuff with that.

It’s what you would consider a managed private ledger which is to keep the costs down and be able to do real customer service. Like if we put if you do something on the public blockchain, not only is there the fraud and all that energy consumption but the way people look at it.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/david-steinberger-chip-mosher-explain-dstlry-new-comics-company/

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

The Forbes article makes it sound like it's just single issues that are on sale for one-week only and the eventual collections will be regularly available but it's still stupid as gently caress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xK1 posted:

The Forbes article makes it sound like it's just single issues that are on sale for one-week only and the eventual collections will be regularly available but it's still stupid as gently caress.

That reminds me that I need to pick up a half dozen issues from Panel Syndicate that came out the last couple of months...

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Upsidads posted:

...right?

In theory if you are the owner of a copy and die then unless there's some mechanism to recall your, uh, totally-not-NFT then it's gone forever. Or Mignola (or someone who hates Mignola) could buy copies back with a burner account and similarly "destroy" them by using a random email/pass. The only part that is good for creators is the perpetual cut, as in theory if a copy of Hellboyardee goes for $1M over and over again them Mignola keeps winning. But it seems to directly lead to the bad place that NFTs sprinted to which is the completely hosed up art market where the value is a completely arbitrary number because the actual use is a store of wealth.

If an artist wants to make money and has an infinitely reproduceable good then the answer is to keep selling that good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is it limited time or limited amount?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Upsidads posted:

Is it limited time or limited amount?

Limited time, they'll sell the single issues as "new" for one week, then after that you have to buy them off other people until the trade comes out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
unless it has fantastic drm i wonder how long that's gonna last

also one week if loving stupid, it's not like physical copies just disappear forever if the shop doesn't sell every copy in the first week

site fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a really really loving dumb idea. I want someone to explain what the actual path towards success is for a potential comic creator with this method, you make issue 1 and release it on this platform and what happens after that. Assuming you've captured lightning in a bottle like Lee/Ditko Spider-Man or Kirkman's Walking Dead for a more contemporary example.