Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

no, you remember correctly. inland empire gives you a hard time limit during that conversation. but like most of your skills, inland empire is wrong sometimes, and that's probably the most severe oopsie it makes

drat, I didn't learn the 'skills be wrong' lesson until Klaasje really and by then it had been a long enough time I didn't even remember if it was a skill that told me that stuff, i thought it might have been Kim. I did the drug stuff on like day 1, and then late on day 2 before getting to the point of interrogating her I had to put the game down for a week before continuing so such details had fled my brain. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Inland Empire is technically wrong, but in practice, I think most people will hit the Tribunal around Day 4 or 5, so I don't think it feels especially egregious.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Insurrectionist posted:

drat, I didn't learn the 'skills be wrong' lesson until Klaasje really and by then it had been a long enough time I didn't even remember if it was a skill that told me that stuff, i thought it might have been Kim. I did the drug stuff on like day 1, and then late on day 2 before getting to the point of interrogating her I had to put the game down for a week before continuing so such details had fled my brain. RIP.

Volition at least has the wherewithal to know something is up.

Glad I had points into that in my first play.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

regarding Harry's hunches and feelings, I think there's at least one pair of dialogue changes near the very end that strongly suggests he has some kind of extranormal way of knowing things, though I'm having trouble pulling the exact exchange:

when you approach the generator on the island, Kim says something about how it's cool to the touch, but clearly still well-maintained and used recently. if you go with Cuno, though, he just says it's cool to the touch, and then a voice cuts in and says the first part of Kim's line but trails off confusedly, talking about Cuno's line was not what was supposed to be said.

e: found it, it suggests inland empire has some sense of the alternate outcomes that can arise from your choices, and unlike a lot of the esprit de corps scenes Harry explicitly responds to the voice, and unlike shivers it's verifiably accurate information

CUNO – Cuno puts his hand on the generator. "This poo poo's cold."

INLAND EMPIRE – N-n-n-no. This isn't right...

YOU – What's the matter?

INLAND EMPIRE – 'It's cold now,' he was supposed to say. 'But someone has been maintaining it. The wiring has been repaired'...

INLAND EMPIRE – But he's not here to say it. Something *else* got in the way. Events *intervened*...

Valentin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 11, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

no, you remember correctly. inland empire gives you a hard time limit during that conversation. but like most of your skills, inland empire is wrong sometimes, and that's probably the most severe oopsie it makes
I'm not sure we can treat gameplay mechanics as evidence that Inland Empire is supposed to be wrong there.

Literally, it is wrong, because we can do experiments, but then we're talking about the videogame and not the world it's portraying. There's no mechanic in the game to force a confrontation, so if you dick around for an unreasonable amount of time, the mercenaries wait for an unreasonable amount of time. I think that can reasonably be considered a gameplay concession. There are some scenarios where multiple narrative possibilities are deliberately presented as valid. I do not think the world where Kim silently watches Harry read books for a month is one of those valid narrative possibilities.

As it stands, I think the game works better if you think there's a time limit, but would work worse if there actually was a time limit.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Valentin posted:

regarding Harry's hunches and feelings, I think there's at least one pair of dialogue changes near the very end that strongly suggests he has some kind of extranormal way of knowing things, though I'm having trouble pulling the exact exchange:

when you approach the generator on the island, Kim says something about how it's cool to the touch, but clearly still well-maintained and used recently. if you go with Cuno, though, he just says it's cool to the touch, and then a voice cuts in and says the first part of Kim's line but trails off confusedly, talking about Cuno's line was not what was supposed to be said.

e: found it, it suggests inland empire has some sense of the alternate outcomes that can arise from your choices, and unlike a lot of the esprit de corps scenes Harry explicitly responds to the voice, and unlike shivers it's verifiably accurate information

CUNO – Cuno puts his hand on the generator. "This poo poo's cold."

INLAND EMPIRE – N-n-n-no. This isn't right...

YOU – What's the matter?

INLAND EMPIRE – 'It's cold now,' he was supposed to say. 'But someone has been maintaining it. The wiring has been repaired'...

INLAND EMPIRE – But he's not here to say it. Something *else* got in the way. Events *intervened*...

I believe this is prompted by the Moralism quest, where you can hear Kim say that exact line through the radio as you're trying to reach the warship. You shouldn't get that dialogue unless you've completed that quest.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
This talk about Inland Empire’s false time limit has me wondering, can you stretch the game out so long it fucks it up some kind of way? Post day three, let’s say, so have the shack to live in for free.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

If I'm reading fayde right, it looks like inland empire says "this isn't right" no matter what but doesn't give you the full additional line without the moralist quest? the number of permutations in this game is truly incredible.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

That one line alone is what makes the Magpies/Innocences theories so interesting, because they don't just see the future, they see potential futures, and can change the present with the information. That's why Elysium is such a weird technological hodge-podge, they're building things like electric cars and internet telecommunications using horse carriages and radios. We were supposed to come up with this ourselves....

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Youremother posted:

they're building things like electric cars and internet telecommunications using horse carriages and radios.

Atleast for radio to internet that’s the real progression.

Telegraph to voice over wire to wireless Telegraph to radio. From there you get the need for better radio antennas which means better amplifiers. That’s where the transistor comes from. It’s a amplifier. Transistors which get used to make the logic gates for computers on chips are... built from miniature ratio antenna amplifiers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

At the beginning of the development of cars there was a period where different engines were being tried. There were early electric carriages before the fossil fuel engine won out. Early real cars were carriage like. Things like bench seats stuck around a long time.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And that's what's cool about the DE universe because they skipped all the "in-between" steps and got straight to the now. High-performance battery-powered cars with early 20th century style chassis and MMORPG games over ham radio. The most high-end and advanced computing technology in the world is still tape-based and was never even produced

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Youremother posted:

We were supposed to come up with this ourselves....

Yup! Encyclopedia mentions it in the church during the Dolores Dei rundown.

Gonna elaborate a fun hypothesis here for the thread's entertainment. The Perikarnassian was the first Innocence, right? They are a literal prophet whose major contribution is not only the idea of God, but also the "Christian sense of History" of Elysium, especially with the themes of love mentioned in some dialogues. They did something really cool in my view, they didn't bring a complete idea from a possible future: they managed to conceptualize a transcendent History that humanity as a whole participates in, that can be for the improvement of all. They were like "holy poo poo these weird colors and noises I keep sensing are Concepts That Can Happen, I'm totally loving going to tell people about it but wait how the gently caress I can do that". So he became a prophet.

Then a bunch of people thought that this poo poo was rather loving awesome and they organized an institution to have more people like that prophet. The Holy Party came into being. A church dedicated to find people with Hegelian hypersensitivity to guide humanity along? Seems a great idea why not ooops

A good while later, Franconegro came and brought heavy armored cavalry (cataphracts with gunpowder), nation-states and the global reserve currency; in our world, these things happened with a pretty good deal of space from one another. Like, imagine having to explain the American dollar and its functions into the international economic structure to 15th century Europe. Now imagine to make it happen without any semblance of the progression of circumstances that we had.

(BTW here's a concept from Alexander Rostov of the franconigerian cavalry which is lmao amazing)

Then centuries later comes up Dolores Dei and basically just decides to turn this poo poo up into eleven by being a 4x player. Even before becoming an Innocence, she tells a queen to fund the equivalent of our Great Navigations and Insulinde is discovered. What happens from there is that she compresses the start of colonial expansion, globalization, market expansion and imperialism in like, 20 years. Not that these things happened in their entirety in her rule, but that she brought into happening. She pushed for enclosures and stomped the gently caress of everyone opposing her, for example. In other words, she turbo-charged the development of capitalism.

It seems to me that she basically overdid her poo poo and, going from the game text, she was pretty lacking in self-awareness in relation to others (hey Egghead). Innocences can get stuff from future histories, but this isn't God-Emperor of Dune: they don't have precognition. She didn't actually think that she would be assassinated and as such her 4x approach crumbled hard.

Why, though? One hypothesis that I'd like to think that she sensed something pretty drat awful when "feeling" the more distant future ahead but couldn't discern exactly why, so she embarked on a grand project of humankind in order to avoid it. Thus she brought so much stuff from far ahead that basically caused humanity to do too much stuff from the future and caused Pale runoff.

An Industrial Revolution of sorts, but of ideas instead of coal and Pale instead of smoke. Like, I think a crucial point to note, if I am understanding it right, is that it is not about the magpie bringing the concept from the future as a single isolated event, but the fact that once that concept gets out to a lot of people, it changes their worldview and thus effects a cost of Present History. Pale is the waste from that. To give it an example, enclosures. Before Dolores manifested that concept into being, there would have to be a shitload of things to happen to get to enclosures, the development of material circumstances which historical materialism talks about. Suddenly, enclosures are real and a whole loving lot of people have to deal with this strange idea about doing this and that to all the land they know, and the lives of everybody involved are affected and they don't get to live what would be their lives otherwise. Suddenly, there's a bunch of History that doesn't get to happen, regardless of what happens; it goes poof and becomes what? Pale!

Googling about it, it seems that Sola, the last Innocence, actually figured that out and simply decided to not do anything because gently caress making things worse. That would make her - if you look at the situation in the right way - the postmodern Innocence. She rejects History. Then resigns after an assassination attempt for not being a communist (and oooh boy that would be another effortpost), which is an incredible commentary just by itself.

Innocences are one hell of an idea, just a great concept all around

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The moment I fell in love with this game was talking about the Pale in depth with Joyce, and I realized this wasn't just a weird alt-history game but straight up existential science fiction. Well actually the moment I fell in love with this game was "I want to have gently caress with you" but I think those two moments together illustrate what DE is all about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just bought this game. I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see the "want some gently caress?" or whatever dialog option. I'll also be very tempted to select it if I do.

e: should I play with Detective Mode on, or is that considered to be something for babbies? It just seems like a basic quality of life option.

e2: I set my signature skill to Empathy, since I read that that's an important one.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 11, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's nbd, just means you don't need to hold down tab.

In terms of the tips you will need, just know that two of the stats you pick at the beginning are your hitpoints, and that if they start counting down to zero you can gobble some food or drugs and save yourself.

Good luck detective, be sure to file regular reports

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Phlegmish posted:

Just bought this game. I'm going to be disappointed if I don't see the "want some gently caress?" or whatever dialog option. I'll also be very tempted to select it if I do.

e: should I play with Detective Mode on, or is that considered to be something for babbies? It just seems like a basic quality of life option.

e2: I set my signature skill to Empathy, since I read that that's an important one.

Dump as many points into half light as possible for maximum authenticity

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

A good while later, Franconegro came and brought heavy armored cavalry (cataphracts with gunpowder), nation-states and the global reserve currency; in our world, these things happened with a pretty good deal of space from one another.

Nation states, the Protestant Reformation and modernity / enlightenment are all quite wrapped up together.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I just started and I already lost some Health and some Morale (I only had 2 Health to start with). Is it easy to regain these?

e: I just died and lost twenty minutes of progress. Note to self, quicksave more often.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 11, 2022

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, I just started and I already lost some Health and some Morale (I only had 2 Health to start with). Is it easy to regain these?

There are multiple free healing items in containers in the world, and the higher your Perception the more containers you can open for free stuff. Comes in solo packs or triple packs. A few passive checks from your skills can also heal(or damage!) you. You can always buy more but in general having too few healing items isn't a big problem. Unless you constantly burn through a bunch of drugs and wreck your body.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, healing items are relatively common.

Another useful hint, that is incredibly unintuitive to some, is that even if you are losing your last point of Health/Morale, as long as you have at least 1 healing item (represented by the number within the red/blue cross) and use it(by clicking on the number before the bar depletes), you will still survive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm having some trouble getting together the money required to stay in the Whirling. The rich lady on the boat was nice enough to give me the 130 real required to pay off my initial debt, but beyond that I still need to scrounge up 20 real every day somehow. I picked up a bag that was lying around somewhere, but I'm not seeing a lot of bottles, and I haven't had luck with finding money in containers, either. I'll try putting some points into Perception, see if that improves things.

e: guides are saying I can get a free bed on Day 3, and I can't wait

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You have to hold the bag in your hand. Also your partner is a true and good friend and colleague.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

I'm having some trouble getting together the money required to stay in the Whirling. The rich lady on the boat was nice enough to give me the 130 real required to pay off my initial debt, but beyond that I still need to scrounge up 20 real every day somehow. I picked up a bag that was lying around somewhere, but I'm not seeing a lot of bottles, and I haven't had luck with finding money in containers, either. I'll try putting some points into Perception, see if that improves things.

e: guides are saying I can get a free bed on Day 3, and I can't wait

You're a cop, shake people down for bribes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mystic Mongol posted:

You're a cop, shake people down for bribes.

donations to the revachol citizens' militia, excuse you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got back to the Whirling with the money right after 9 PM, I hope I'm not boned now. I actually wonder what happens if you don't have a place to sleep, is it just game over?

e: the door was open even though I hadn't paid for the night :???: I mean, I'm not complaining

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Phlegmish posted:

I actually wonder what happens if you don't have a place to sleep, is it just game over?

The game over sequence for not having a bed to sleep in is one of the saddest and funniest things in the entire game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I didn't know there was one, I just assumed you'd be soft locked.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I didn't know there was one, I just assumed you'd be soft locked.

It used to be a softlock back around launch, but they added a game over screen for it at some point.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I got back to the Whirling with the money right after 9 PM, I hope I'm not boned now. I actually wonder what happens if you don't have a place to sleep, is it just game over?

e: the door was open even though I hadn't paid for the night :???: I mean, I'm not complaining

I think the door locks when it's like 1am in-game and the only way back in is to make the payment anyway

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fortunately it's a moot question, as I now have access to the free bed from the fisherwoman.

I'm digging the game so far, even though the time management has me feeling antsy and nervous, which I wasn't expecting beforehand. I just looked it up and apparently there are ten playable days, which I suppose will be more than enough now that I have reliable lodgings.

The very elaborate dialog trees are really cool, though if I'm completely honest, I spam-clicked through a few of the lengthier conversations that didn't grab my interest quite as much. I know that's missing the point, but I couldn't help myself.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

ten playable days

Mechanics spoiler only: This is wrong, you've got effectively infinite time. I doubt there's 10 days of stuff to do though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah even if that was true it'd be impossible to actually pass that much time without going out of your way to do it on purpose

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah, since time only passes through dialog (and only through new dialog at that, though some things like books and your ledger can keep time passing even on repeat reads), you eventually reach a point where you quite literally run out of things to pass the time with. The vision quests might have added a day or two of average game length since I played it, but even then, and even going full completionist and exhausting every available interaction, you'd have to go out of your way to reach that many days.

There's no set timer or expected number of days to completion, but I think a sign of how long it's *expected* to take is that your dreams start looping after day seven. Even that's a bit longer than what most completionist players will experience imo

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 12, 2022

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
My second run was very completionist and I took my sweet time and I think I wrapped it up on Day 11. But that included a lot of reading books and like a whole day spent on a bench because Kim went away first thing in the morning and needed him around to proceed.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder from the OP:

quote:

- It is possible to soft lock the game if you haven't gathered enough money to pay your hotel bill by night 2. There are a few ways to do this, so if you're on day 2 and starting to get nervous, feel free to ask for hints in the thread.
- In-game time only passes based on dialogue choices, but even then, there really isn't a "ticking clock" element other than the bullet point above. Take your time: explore the world, talk to everyone, engage with the conversations. Like a well-written novel, every element has its purpose—even "side" quests.

(There is technically a game-over screen for point 1 now, but it's difficult to find, and more likely your experience of the game in this state will be "I don't have any money and I can't sleep, wtf do I do??")

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, you guys were right. I seem to be heading towards endgame territory and I'm only on day 5.

As an aside, Klaasje's voice actress is really struggling with the pronunciation of some of these Dutch words, including her own name. Most of the others (including the person voicing Titus) do a pretty good job, though. Goes to show how the developers really paid attention to detail.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
From a thread about lesser known quotes in the Disco Elysium reddit.

quote:

VOLITION - Subdue the regret. Dust yourself off, proceed. You'll get it in the next life, where you don't make mistakes. Do what you can with this one, while you're alive.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, you guys were right. I seem to be heading towards endgame territory and I'm only on day 5.

As an aside, Klaasje's voice actress is really struggling with the pronunciation of some of these Dutch words, including her own name. Most of the others (including the person voicing Titus) do a pretty good job, though. Goes to show how the developers really paid attention to detail.

Hot take: Dasha, Klaasje’s original voice actress, was better. She sounded less sad, more detached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Hot take: Dasha, Klaasje’s original voice actress, was better. She sounded less sad, more detached.

:yeah: there’s something about the amateurishness of the original voice cast that gave it a lot of authenticity that’s missing from the final cut. Also, full voice acting is really distracting and pretty useless if you’re a quick reader