Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's the reverse of when they just decided to leave Rios behind in 2022 in Picard S2

I'm almost kind of impressed at how ruthlessly meticulous Picard Season 2 was in its dedication to destroying Cristobal Rios as a person and as a character. In the span of 10 episodes he went from being a man with his life completely put together with a great gig commanding the most prestigious non-Enterprise, non-Voyager ship in Starfleet with a modestly hot and charming sort-of-girlfriend, probably on the fast track to becoming at least a commodore under Picard's wing, to staying behind in the 21st century and going to work for UNICEF or some poo poo and dying in a bar fight he probably started himself like a year shy of World War III kicking off. And in the process losing that sick rear end starship, his job commanding it, and his quirky sort-of girlfriend to the Borg. Hell, he also technically loses the Stargazer to the Borg too between what Jurati does to it and then Picard just tossing the keys to Seven because Rios decided to erase himself from history.

My God...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sometimes I feel like the people in charge of Picard are just trolling the fans with dumping all of the new characters for S3 except the worst one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sometimes I feel like the people in charge of Picard are just trolling the fans with dumping all of the new characters for S3 except the worst one

At this point I expect Raffi to be every quickly and spitefully killed off early in Season 3 or just otherwise disappeared like Elnor and Soji so that Terry Matalas can focus on playing with only his legacy characters.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mister Kingdom posted:

This page doesn't exist.

What was it?

https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1601490054207049728

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
And then Gene Roddenberry ripped him off by coming up with bogus lovely lyrics for the TOS theme so he could claim half the royalties.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still lol that this show started off with Picard going "no, I can't involve my friends the legacy characters everyone knows and loves, I need people that hate me for this dangerous mission" to hanging out and shooting the poo poo with Riker for an episode, and now it's just "Look, we're doing a TNG reunion! please clap"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point I expect Raffi to be every quickly and spitefully killed off early in Season 3 or just otherwise disappeared like Elnor and Soji so that Terry Matalas can focus on playing with only his legacy characters.

Nah, I think it's extremely likely Raffi was the only one kept on because she's part of Seven's plot and Seven is a major draw and they're testing the waters for a Seven Titan-A show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm almost kind of impressed at how ruthlessly meticulous Picard Season 2 was in its dedication to destroying Cristobal Rios as a person and as a character. In the span of 10 episodes he went from being a man with his life completely put together with a great gig commanding the most prestigious non-Enterprise, non-Voyager ship in Starfleet with a modestly hot and charming sort-of-girlfriend, probably on the fast track to becoming at least a commodore under Picard's wing, to staying behind in the 21st century and going to work for UNICEF or some poo poo and dying in a bar fight he probably started himself like a year shy of World War III kicking off. And in the process losing that sick rear end starship, his job commanding it, and his quirky sort-of girlfriend to the Borg. Hell, he also technically loses the Stargazer to the Borg too between what Jurati does to it and then Picard just tossing the keys to Seven because Rios decided to erase himself from history.

My God...

I found Season 1 Rios annoying and tryhard in a Han Solo/Outrageous Okona way as the lovable rogue with a chip on his shoulder and tragic backstory.

5 minutes of seeing him on the Stargazer bridge and I wanted a Rios series.

Never imagined Terry Matalas could have Chibnall'd his way through burning the good will he had built up with 12 Monkeys (like Chibnall had with Broadchurch), but he did it at warp speed.

Hell, he hosed Rios (and so much more) over in the space of one season. I gave Chibnall 2 seasons of Doctor Who before I checked out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

I found Season 1 Rios annoying and tryhard in a Han Solo/Outrageous Okona way as the lovable rogue with a chip on his shoulder and tragic backstory.

Never imagined Terry Matalas could have Chibnall'd his way through burning the good will he had built up with 12 Monkeys (like Chibnall had with Broadchurch), but he did it at warp speed.

Hell, he hosed Rios (and so much more) over in the space of one season. I gave Chibnall 2 seasons of Doctor Who before I checked out.

I still remember the elation I felt watching those first two episodes being like "Hooray, they actually made a good show out of this mess! :neckbeard:" and then just how quickly and completely it all unraveled. It was like God himself was punishing me for my

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astroman posted:

Yeah this was my feeling as well, although I thought he was OK in Season 1, just a bit annoying with the overuse of the personality holograms

In general Season 2 didn't do anything with anyone outside of Picard and Jurati. Elnor is dead most of the season, outside of that incredibly stupid holographic recreation for one scene. Seven and Raffi spend most of the first several episodes bickering all the time and complaining about the past. Raffi gets to yell at Picard after Elnor dies, even though it's really not his fault.

I would have been OK with the Rios plotline had he not just suddenly decided to stay in the past THAT HE KNOWS IS DOOMED. Like dude, you command a starship, what is wrong with you?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Three cheers for Soji Asha, the one character Picard Season 2 never got the chance to ruin because she got left behind at a bar and forgotten about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really enjoyed Rios' vibe as a captain. One of the things in episode 1 that made me think the season would be good. lmao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I was cautiously optimistic after ep1. It wasn't good because nothing ever loving happened because the show has the worst pace I've ever seen from TV, but at least the characters actually felt how Star Trek characters should feel. This lasted until ep 2 and Elnor is back to decapatating people and then written out of the plot and the nightmare began.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grand Fromage posted:

I really enjoyed Rios' vibe as a captain. One of the things in episode 1 that made me think the season would be good. lmao

That had so much potential, we'd all have watched the hell out of that series. I will also accept a series with Seven as a captain, but the possibility of a series with Rios as captain and Seven as his XO will always be just off camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

That had so much potential, we'd all have watched the hell out of that series. I will also accept a series with Seven as a captain, but the possibility of a series with Rios as captain and Seven as his XO will always be just off camera.

Yeah, a post-Picard Star Trek: Picard on the Stargazer with Rios, Jurati, Seven, Raffi, Elnor and Soji would have been rad as poo poo. And then it all just went, pop, gone. Just like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mllaneza posted:

That would have been cool. Jeri Ryan is fantastic in everything I've ever seen her in, just need some competent writers to give her something to fuckin work with.

E: Considering how good she was in Voyager she might not even need that, tbh.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And almost certainly if they do do a follow-up series now, instead of being on the Stargazer (which was fine) it'll be on the Titan-A (holy poo poo it's ugly)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

And almost certainly if they do do a follow-up series, instead of being on the Stargazer (which was fine) it'll be on the Titan-A (holy poo poo it's ugly)

I really hope the Titan-A gets its poo poo blown to a billion pieces instantly and the real hero ship of Season 3 is just the Enterprise-F. I bet the Titan-A was intentionally designed to look that gross to sell the F to people as better alternative.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The fan design the Titan is based on is pretty cool, I do not know why they made any of those changes to turn it into that thing.

The front of the Shangri-la doesn't look great but most Federation ships have at least one bad angle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Shangri-La is a movie era design so they made some clumsy changes so it was detailed like the 25th century aesthetic but it's not properly designed for that so now it looks like a horrible Frankenstein's monster.

Also I'll never get over the Titan-A being the neocon class.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope the Titan-A gets its poo poo blown to a billion pieces instantly and the real hero ship of Season 3 is just the Enterprise-F. I bet the Titan-A was intentionally designed to look that gross to sell the F to people as better alternative.

We all know that the Enterprise is going to eat poo poo. :negative: The Odyssey class is cool too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect it'll eat poo poo in the 'blown to shreds but still survives but needs to be put back together' kinda way rather than totally destroyed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It'll be beat to poo poo but Jean-Luc Hyperriker will warp in at the last moment to save the day

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently they're not allowed to put the Odyssey visual revamp into STO until after Picard airs. :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Apparently they're not allowed to put the Odyssey visual revamp into STO until after Picard airs. :(

:argh: Yet another reason to hate it. Maybe they'll give us the revamped bridge from the stupid Terran missions then too?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eimi posted:

We all know that the Enterprise is going to eat poo poo. :negative: The Odyssey class is cool too.

I may be sealing fate by saying this, but I still, after all this, have a tiny modicum of faith that Terry Matalas is at least performatively enough of a fan of Star Trek that even he would not blow up the U.S.S. Mother loving God drat Enterprise without it at least putting up a hell of an awesome fight first. Even Nemesis, one of the worst pieces of Trek media ever, a product of a bunch of people who knew jack and poo poo about Star Trek, knew that much at least.

I know you read this thread Matalas, prove me right!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hope we see the Enterprise-F eat it immediately because the Odyssey is a bloated whale of a design. It’s just the Sovereign class after eating at a Golden Corral for the entire weekend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You know Sisko is really overstepping his bounds of intervering with this family raising a cardassian child. I dunno whole episode rubs me the wrong way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well the trailers have a big celebration and it looks like it's the launching of the Enterprise-F so the predictable plot is that the bad guy announces themselves to the world by coming in at the celebration and blowing up the new ship on her maiden voyage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That would actually be kinda hilarious

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hope we see the Enterprise-F eat it immediately because the Odyssey is a bloated whale of a design. It’s just the Sovereign class after eating at a Golden Corral for the entire weekend.

The Sovereign class is awful and the Odyssey brings back some curves and looks more like a ship of exploration than the Sovereign. The sleek no neck era of design was awful. Also gently caress it's triangular nacelles. drat thing should never have been an Enterprise. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That would actually be kinda hilarious

I really hope the Season 3 villain his just absolutely off her tits bonkers insane in every aspect of who and what she is. Because the explanation for who this woman is, why she wants to ruthlessly explode the unholy poo poo out of the surviving senior staff of the Enterprise-D, and why they should even care that she wants to apparently murder all of them for whatever reason is going to be amazingly gobsmacking stupid

Like I hope she just read like a Memory Alpha article about Jean-Luc Picard one day and some batshit stalker thing just broke in her brain and she randomly decided to turn into a terrorist and express her feelings for the crew of the D by hunting them all down and torturing them to death to show them how much she loves them all. Like that guy who tried to stalk, kidnap and murder Tress MacNeille because he fell in love with Babs Bunny from Tiny Toons, only a space terrorist.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 11, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If the Ent-F does indeed eat poo poo, it had better do it with Deanna at the helm :colbert:

CPColin fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 11, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Please no. I know you're joking, but they finally wrote her to be capable and valuable in season 1 and I don't want that undone.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
She capably steered the Ent-D saucer into a survivable landing and capably steered the Ent-E into Shinzon's face so she can capably save the day by crashing the Ent-F too :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Please no. I know you're joking, but they finally wrote her to be capable and valuable in season 1 and I don't want that undone.

She was capable and valuable in both the cases where she crashed the Enterprise too, she grabbed the helm when the duty officer had been exploded and did as well as possible under the circumstances and guided them into good crashes.

Not her fault the impulse engines failed on the D.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

She was capable and valuable in both the cases where she crashed the Enterprise too, she grabbed the helm when the duty officer had been exploded and did as well as possible under the circumstances and guided them into good crashes.

Not her fault the impulse engines failed on the D.

Or the fact that Riker tried to come up with some technobabble bullshit instead of just saying fire all weapons and blowing that loving b'rel to kingdom come. Or that Worf forgot that modulating shield frequencies was standard procedure since the Borg.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Or, like, just punching warp after the first blast through the shields and taking a few minutes to figure out what the hell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nine-gear crow posted:

My God...

Well he got an even hotter girlfriend at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Or, like, just punching warp after the first blast through the shields and taking a few minutes to figure out what the hell.

the Warp Officer's sole job is to mash the warp button when things go to poo poo, *before* the warp engines get taken offline