Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/gundampodcast/status/1600218171109040129?s=46&t=eyqONmDrXV42yFBXODdHJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean also like

Char's Counterattack

It's a pretty gay movie
"she could have been like a mother to me" is a line that transcends all fringe ideologies

Burns
May 10, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

"she could have been like a mother to me" is a line that transcends all fringe ideologies

Maaan, if i ever see Elon post something like this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Burns posted:

Maaan, if i ever see Elon post something like this.

Elon already has a hot mom that babies him constantly and defends him online, though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elon Musk is a Tomino name

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With all the failed monkey brain chips do you think they're onto Elon 4 or Elon 5 yet?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally done it, I've found a work with better names than Gundam. I'm sorry Bring Stabity and Marbet Fingerhut, you must bow before the power of Polygraph Polygraphovich

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/dtz1200wg/status/1600832666513076231?s=46&t=elxsSnUy2sg5dZELPEcKfA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Better watch out before a hyperactive mobile tank with dodgy CGI attack himbo Ground Jim.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Better watch out before a hyperactive mobile tank with dodgy CGI attack himbo Ground Jim.

MS IGLOO: Multi-track Drifting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't care what official name they give to the MS Guys line, to me they'll be Himbo Jims

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't care what official name they give to the MS Guys line, to me they'll be Himbo Jims

Himbo Jimbos? Jimbos? Jimbros?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GM Bros

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I keep wanting to make that Gym Bros, but there's no way to distinguish Gym the character from gym the location in that nickname by spelling alone. I guess it could be both, since Gym has some gym bro energy and is a bit of a himbo himself, since he's all about that military aesthetic but is actually kind of a poser about it and barely knows how to use a sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One funny thing about Gym is that he's actually a really talented, cunning, and creative pilot. All those sims may not have taught him how to use a sword, but the guy genuinely does know mobile suits inside and out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kon9876512/status/1601273333043335168?s=46&t=IMlCfNXABVfBwG9M6Yk0Lw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Took a moment.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, good, excellent.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

For all you Newtype haters
https://youtu.be/__SGM6Be6b0

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Speaking as a Newtype liker, this is excellent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That video does a good job of situating newtypes in their historical context and I'll probably link it next time I see someone ask why 0079 suddenly has psychics. Cool stuff, thanks for posting it.

I liked their Federation ideology one as well, which is a decent overview of how its portrayal has changed over the years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__SGM6Be6b0&t=431s

What is "kara-moe"? Is that just the full name for moe, the cute anime girl thing?

Sorry I enjoyed the video but I just wanted to know that.

Lemon-Lime posted:

That video does a good job of situating newtypes in their historical context and I'll probably link it next time I see someone ask why 0079 suddenly has psychics. Cool stuff, thanks for posting it.

I liked their Federation ideology one as well, which is a decent overview of how its portrayal has changed over the years.

I just watched that video but having not seen any new Gundam, I'm curious what he means by calling it revisionist or Frank Miller Gundam.
https://youtu.be/A_lgRJ0m6Ug?t=755

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 11, 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I just watched that video but having not seen any new Gundam, I'm curious what he means by calling it revisionist or Frank Miller Gundam.
https://youtu.be/A_lgRJ0m6Ug?t=755

Thunderbolt takes OYW-era UC Gundam and makes it grim and sordidly violent the same way Miller took Batman and made him grim and sordidly violent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say comparing Thunderbolt to Miller is doing a disservice to Thunderbolt. It has problems but it does try to make a point with its nihilism which is more than I can say for Frank Miller.

Also I found out that Ohtagaki is taking another hiatus from Thunderbolt. Hope his health improves

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd say comparing Thunderbolt to Miller is doing a disservice to Thunderbolt. It has problems but it does try to make a point with its nihilism which is more than I can say for Frank Miller.

Also I found out that Ohtagaki is taking another hiatus from Thunderbolt. Hope his health improves

I don't think it's fair to say Miller had no point in his best works. There's a whole book on it if you're interested. I enjoyed it and would recommend.

But anyway

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thunderbolt takes OYW-era UC Gundam and makes it grim and sordidly violent the same way Miller took Batman and made him grim and sordidly violent.

Been meaning to watch this for a while now...this might give me teh motivation to do so. Thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be sure to watch the film versions of Thunderbolt. It's the only time I'd suggest watching the compilation over individual ONA episodes.

Finished watching that ideology video now. Gotta say he's pretty bang on with Fukui's interpretation of the Federation having heavy post 9/11 media vibes to it. Also, really Fukui? You want to call yourself the JJ Abrams of Gundam? That's not the compliment you might think it is.

Completely unrelated but going back to crocodile gundam puns I discovered today that there is an extinct species of giant caiman called a Purusaurus.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 11, 2022

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

thunderbolt kicks rear end. Wish they made more..

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Popy posted:

thunderbolt kicks rear end. Wish they made more..

My understanding is that ends with Federation Zeong vs Zeon Perfect Gundam? that's tight

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I was under the impression the Thunderbolt manga was still ongoing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I listened to a breakdown of Gundam 00 and while I still think the pace is not to my liking, the world building in a very strong response to post 9/11 and how modern wars are fought made it shoot up in my rankings.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

I was under the impression the Thunderbolt manga was still ongoing.

It is, but the manga is far enough ahead that they can make 3 or 4 movies with what's already out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

I listened to a breakdown of Gundam 00 and while I still think the pace is not to my liking, the world building in a very strong response to post 9/11 and how modern wars are fought made it shoot up in my rankings.

The name for their time period being AD was very much deliberate, the first season at least was pretty good at doing what it set out to accomplish

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The name for their time period being AD was very much deliberate, the first season at least was pretty good at doing what it set out to accomplish

Yeah, every Gundam has commented on when it was released, and 00 really leaned into that to ground its conflicts in the first season, even when it involved blowing up space stations and armies of killer robots.

The part that kind of bugged me about 00, though, was that its specific timeline was so far in the future with so little having changed. It had the feel in the first season of something like Deus Ex or Blade Runner, set in the not-too-distant future, while the show's timeline put it closer to Star Trek.

Not a huge deal, but it did highlight why most Gundams go with fictional timelines and avoid exact dates in the real world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The funny thing about time is that we can see massive cultural leaps in under a decade while still dealing with the fallout and status quo of events that happened centuries ago.

We are still dealing with the fallout of the Great War over a century later, but nobody is going to confuse the culture of the 2020s for that of the 1910s.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Does Witch from Mercury have iphones?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

War and Pieces posted:

Does Witch from Mercury have iphones?

Everyone has portable phones so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel I don't really like transforming mobile suits. I don't know if it was a toy mandate or something else but besides the ashhimar I don't think I've seen a transforming suit that didn't look like a jumbled mess in its transformed mode.

Recent macross chat made me realize that it's not that it's impossible to make a transforming mecha, the Valkyries all look great in any mode. A lot of transforming mobile suits got the suit look down but the waverider modes get cluttered. Like they designed the MS mode and then didn't have a guideline for how the waverider should look. A Valkyrie looks like a robot, a chicken walker or a jet, and the chicken walker is just a jet with legs. It's easy to understand while something like the Zeta or Delta Plus lose their silhouettes.

Anyways I'm watching Hathaway and the Penelope is a giant goose and the movie has a 007 cold open and musical number with mobile suits as dancing bond girl silhouettes and it's awesome.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macross F has the weirdest future phones. On one hand they are different enough to evoke the future, on the other hand imagine trying to make a call with a beaniebaby

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I feel I don't really like transforming mobile suits. I don't know if it was a toy mandate or something else but besides the ashhimar I don't think I've seen a transforming suit that didn't look like a jumbled mess in its transformed mode.

Recent macross chat made me realize that it's not that it's impossible to make a transforming mecha, the Valkyries all look great in any mode. A lot of transforming mobile suits got the suit look down but the waverider modes get cluttered. Like they designed the MS mode and then didn't have a guideline for how the waverider should look. A Valkyrie looks like a robot, a chicken walker or a jet, and the chicken walker is just a jet with legs. It's easy to understand while something like the Zeta or Delta Plus lose their silhouettes.

Anyways I'm watching Hathaway and the Penelope is a giant goose and the movie has a 007 cold open and musical number with mobile suits as dancing bond girl silhouettes and it's awesome.

"Noa. Hathaway Noa."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Macross F has the weirdest future phones. On one hand they are different enough to evoke the future, on the other hand imagine trying to make a call with a beaniebaby

I would love to make calls and texts on a squishy frog phone and am sad that wasn't the path mobile device development took.