Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Scam Likely posted:

I've heard it referred to as the "Beijing Bikini"

Jesus we were calling it that in like 1999 (I’m an old). I always felt it showed a man absolutely at peace with himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The level of not giving a gently caress that middle aged Chinese men achieve is something to be admired.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tomn posted:

I've tried to teach wearing one of those things during one of the California wildfires, can confirm that it's basically impossible to teach while wearing them. I dunno if I'd call it comfortable, though, those things dig the hell out of my ears after a few hours.

Make friends with the AV club nerds, and get a mic wired into your respirator for sound.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The level of not giving a gently caress that middle aged Chinese men achieve is something to be admired.

maybe it's the tcm, or the copious amounts of drinking, or their aspirations ground into dirt by family and spouse, or combination of all three!

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Someone in my family is thinking about spending a year on a retirement visa somewhere cheap, and they asked me to help them look up Cambodia. I guess since this thread is for mildly Asia-related topics, this gave me a good chuckle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cambodia/comments/vl8a5b/how_to_tell_a_good_strong_woman_from_a_multi_sex/

quote:

How to tell a good strong woman, from a multi sex woman?

I find its harder here in Cambodia than in other places because they have a strong warrior pedigree.

Its not uncommon to see a woman with a back like a body builders just normally walking around as if nothing is happening.

Or to see a woman with a handsome good looking face.

Sometimes the women? have hands the same size as mine with heavier palms

Whats a strong woman and whats multisex? How can I tell?

I'd be cool with a woman with a bodybuilder back, lol.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grand Fromage posted:

I just do a seal check by covering the cartridges with my palms, works fine.

You can get them on Amazon or any like DIY building supply store will have them. Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards, whatever.

If I were buying a new one I'd prob get the secureclick: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/respiratory-protection-us/products/secure-click-respirators/

Seems easier to deal with (the cartridges pull air from both sides for more comfortable breathing) plus it has a speaking diaphragm and built in seal check button. It's a bit more expensive, but if you're just using it for covid protection you don't have to swap the cartridges for a long time. They don't get gunked up like if it's protecting you against paint fumes or coal ash or whatever.

maxwellhill posted:

Counterfeit cartridges have been discovered on Amazon, and even official sellers have their products binned together with others at the Amazon warehouse. It's much better and equally cheap to use the websites of big 3M wholesalers such as Zoro.com, Grainger.com, Maxwell Products, etc.

Start with a model like a 3M 7502 (7501 if your face is very small, 7503 if it's enormous). Being silicone makes it only a couple bucks extra and it will seal airtight much more reliably, more comfortably, and not prone to the rubber changing over time.

So again, 7500 series mask (30 bucks or so), 7093 series cartridges (each pair can be reused daily for months), and some glasses since your eyes have ACE2 receptors as well.

e: I recommend this mask over the 3M's "secure click" model above, because this is far lighter for neck muscle strain, also silicone, fits sane common standard cartridges unlike the secure click, and also the secure click's speech diaphragm is very underwhelming in its benefits, projecting sound that's barely higher quality than this, or not even better than a lovely GVS ellipse respirator which has no diaphragm.

edit 2: If anyone wants a 20% off coupon code for Zoro.com you can have one: NW120BK641L1

\/\/ No don't do that lol, just yell

Thank you all for the mask advice, folks. :) If glasses are recommended to block out ACE2 receptors as well, does that mean that I would need to purchase bulky, old-school lab goggles or like regular work zone safety goggles that look like sunglasses? I'd hate to look way too overprotected, but if it blocks COVID infection...

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Non-vented work goggles exist that aren't as bulky; look at the Honeywell Carbonvision goggles for example.

I think it was China that published a study early on that glasses wearers seemingly got infected a third as often, all else being equal, noting that people were wearing masks (albeit the very leaky sort). There's also the recent contact tracing study from the USA I think, that genetically traced a veterinarian's COVID infection to the cat patient that had sneezed in her eyes. She was wearing an N95.

By the way the latter is one of those rare examples of disease actually spreading the way governments say it does anytime there's an epidemic, as opposed to the way engineers and scientists demonstrate and visualize: more like record-breakingly big vape smoke clouds that hang around and accumulate for each exhale. Coming disproportionately from certain rare (super)spreader individuals; which explains why big crowds are such a bad thing, and how some foolish people manage to miss infection even after many risky days of smaller meetings with positives.

\/\/ Nice! The best result.

maxwellhill fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 10, 2022

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

god please help me posted:

Thank you all for the mask advice, folks. :) If glasses are recommended to block out ACE2 receptors as well, does that mean that I would need to purchase bulky, old-school lab goggles or like regular work zone safety goggles that look like sunglasses? I'd hate to look way too overprotected, but if it blocks COVID infection...

I wouldn't worry about goggles unless you're frequently within spitting distance of unmasked people, your wet orbs get just a tiny fraction of the particles compared to your breathways.

The most important part is consistency and a good seal, I've gone three years without any sickness so far, the only major sacrifice being indoors eating.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Everything will be fine with or without masks because the government just sent me a text listing the brand name TCM products I can buy to treat covid at home.

I have a disproportionate amount of annoyance for the government text messages telling me to buy poo poo. I don't care if they force me to get the texts about fire safety or the reminders that phone fraud is illegal, I guess. But gently caress, I have to get your messages I can't turn them off don't send me actual spam.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Looks like you deleted messages from Eternal Leader Pooh, citizen. That's two years in prison.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

BrainDance posted:

Everything will be fine with or without masks because the government just sent me a text listing the brand name TCM products I can buy to treat covid at home.

I have a disproportionate amount of annoyance for the government text messages telling me to buy poo poo. I don't care if they force me to get the texts about fire safety or the reminders that phone fraud is illegal, I guess. But gently caress, I have to get your messages I can't turn them off don't send me actual spam.
I can't find the number because of poor google skills right now, but the percentage of TCM companies owned by the government is something in the above 60% range or something, IIRC. Since the pills don't/barely have to contain the ingredients on the box, the CCP is raking in money from the useless TCM medicines. It makes sense that they'd self-promote a bunch of their holdings during a massive panic-buying spree.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/ZhangTaisu/status/1601774356023349248

there is no curve, there is only LHQW

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 11, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
After 3 years of no-one in my in-China network getting covid, there have been 5 within days of this change.

Fun times ahead.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm only at 3 so far but it's a cool cross section of very different people. Foreign dude, 8 year old with a "you should probably go to the hospital" fever, and old rural guy.

Was at the pharmacy today and a guy started coughing, one of those deep, obviously sick coughs. I have never seen so many people scatter so fast in every direction.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Yeah, I've have a few. A few foreign teachers in BJ (One who isn't vaxxed), another teacher in Chengdu. Apparently, his Girlfriend worked with some parents whose kid tested positive and they just sent the kid to school anyway, doublemasked.

This is gonna suck.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
My boss just did a "How is everyone" WeChat check-in which all the Chinese staff interpreted as "Tell me your covid status now". They all have it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Let 'er :rip:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Really does make me think the government switched because it was already out of control theory is correct.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hoping everyone gets through it OK but also morbidly curious if this will be a mass death event.

:smith: or :thunk: or :ohdear:
possible future
:smug: or :kstare:

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

It’s going to be a mass death event. It’s not as bad of one as it would have been if it’d broken before any vaccines, but I’m not sure what else you could call something that will likely kill a good 1.4 million people over the next year or so. That’s assuming a death rate of 1/1000, which is around the current per capita death rate from COVID in Hawaii which did the best out of all the US states, so feels pretty erring on the side of under.

But it could be closer to India which they’ve estimated at about 4 million deaths.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/ZichenWanghere/status/1601977631502897152

恢复正常生产生活

from forcing provinces into dynamic clearing even if they can't afford it, to forcing provinces into reopening regardless of where in the case wave they are

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
holy gently caress so many people are going to die

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Authoritarian regime stumbles from one mass protest event into one that's arguably going to be far worse

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
and they said the protests would not have any effect

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
More:

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1602025252137181187

Hong Kong hasn't even lifted the LeaveHomeSafe app yet

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish we had lock down stories from that weird sex having goon. Where ever he might be

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haier tragically died in a peanut brittle accident. :rip:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

Really does make me think the government switched because it was already out of control theory is correct.
If China's face culture has taught me anything, then this is probably the answer. The post-national week spread was the spark that set this off, in my opinion. Local governments have been fighting a losing battle since the omicron lineage showed up, and the last national holiday was the beginning of the end of the theater of control.

I also think that the cost of Zero Covid finally became too much hassle and headache. Tests and testing, da bai, fences, quarantine camps, etc. I'm sure the CCP would have loved to keep doing it indefinitely, but omicron was basically like "yeah, no, LMAO." At some point, no amount of money is going to keep it away.

Also, how could you not consider this :

quote:

China medical expert says COVID has mutated, should be renamed - state media

SHANGHAI, Dec 7 (Reuters) - China should change its official name for COVID-19 to reflect the virus' mutation, and patients with light symptoms should be allowed to quarantine at home, a leading authority on traditional Chinese medicine was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

Edit:

Does this mean the green-yellow-red code stuff will be disappearing too?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

PITY BONER posted:

Does this mean the green-yellow-red code stuff will be disappearing too?

Abolishing the green mark check in most places was already announced a few days back:

quote:

http://www.nhc.gov.cn/xcs/gzzcwj/202212/8278e7a7aee34e5bb378f0e0fc94e0f0.shtml

二是进一步优化核酸检测。不按行政区域开展全员核酸检测,进一步缩小核酸检测范围、减少频次。根据防疫工作需要,可开展抗原检测。对高风险岗位从业人员和高风险区人员按照有关规定进行核酸检测,其他人员愿检尽检。除养老院、福利院、医疗机构、托幼机构、中小学等特殊场所外,不要求提供核酸检测阴性证明,不查验健康码。重要机关、大型企业及一些特定场所可由属地自行确定防控措施。不再对跨地区流动人员查验核酸检测阴性证明和健康码,不再开展落地检。

The second is to further optimize nucleic acid detection. Nucleic acid testing for all employees is not carried out according to administrative regions, and the scope and frequency of nucleic acid testing are further reduced. According to the needs of epidemic prevention work, antigen detection can be carried out. Nucleic acid testing will be carried out for employees in high-risk positions and personnel in high-risk areas in accordance with relevant regulations, and other personnel are willing to undergo exhaustive inspections. Except for special places such as nursing homes, welfare homes, medical institutions, childcare institutions, and primary and secondary schools, no nucleic acid test negative certificates are required, and health codes are not checked. Important agencies, large enterprises, and some specific places can determine the prevention and control measures by themselves. Nucleic acid test negative certificates and health codes will no longer be checked for cross-regional migrants, and landing inspections will no longer be carried out.

Still, guidance is one thing - pulling the rug to force adherence to reopening seems harsh

ronya fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 11, 2022

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

My elderly and staunchly anti communist in-laws are super happy about the government backing off on all of the controls and probing. Things have been real upsetting for them recently and with good reason.

Unfortunately their usually rad defiance in regards to the CCP also convinced them that because the government is bad and lies to you that they must be lying about vaccines and those must be bad too.

Really not looking forward to having to plan out their funerals a decade earlier than expected.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

ronya posted:

Hong Kong hasn't even lifted the LeaveHomeSafe app yet

extremely funny that HK still has to stay locked up because if they opened now it means they were never really independent policy-wise from the mainland

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ronya posted:

Abolishing the green mark check in most places was already announced a few days back:

"Except for special places such as nursing homes, welfare homes, medical institutions, childcare institutions, and primary and secondary schools, no nucleic acid test negative certificates are required, and health codes are not checked."
Wow, interesting. That wasn't on my 2022 bingo card.

Considering that kids are going to be super spreaders in schools (RIP grandma), requiring testing for those who work in schools doesn't seem like it's going to help much. Just one more hassle to deal with now that testing locations have nearly all disappeared.

I'm already wondering how long China will keep the borders closed at this point. CNY is coming up and I think they might start letting people out of China after that after they start making deals with airlines to ramp up flights. I'm moving back to Asia for a new teaching early next year and I'm starting to get a little sweaty at the idea of having to deal with Mainland tour groups everywhere I go again.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

PITY BONER posted:

Wow, interesting. That wasn't on my 2022 bingo card.

Considering that kids are going to be super spreaders in schools (RIP grandma), requiring testing for those who work in schools doesn't seem like it's going to help much. Just one more hassle to deal with now that testing locations have nearly all disappeared.

I'm already wondering how long China will keep the borders closed at this point. CNY is coming up and I think they might start letting people out of China after that after they start making deals with airlines to ramp up flights. I'm moving back to Asia for a new teaching early next year and I'm starting to get a little sweaty at the idea of having to deal with Mainland tour groups everywhere I go again.

It gets worse in schools out in SH. You don't even need a PCR test. You can enter with a lovely NAT. You still get PCR tested three times a week tho

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://twitter.com/boygrrI/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is china okay?

Will mongolia be okay?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

Is china okay?

Will mongolia be okay?

Never has, never will.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ups_rail posted:

Is china okay?

Will mongolia be okay?

Even asking this hurts the feelings of the Chinese people. Do better.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Underwear posted:

Even asking this hurts the feelings of the Chinese people. Do better.

Is China okay?

Will northern China be okay?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Have you invested in Eastern Poland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Have you invested in Eastern Poland?

No and I feel like I've really let my children down.