Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's being actively worked on, the update guy(s) just have a shitload of work to do.

Personally I'm just waiting on quickfort to get re-implemented.

Yeah, I'm not pushing them to hurry up, I expected at least a month and they seem to be going quicker than that?

It was a guildhall, like four waves of invaders ago, all those people are dead and it's been all sorts of different things since then. It's also all over my fort, I've had them in the entrance and everything.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Clocks posted:

So planting is a planter task (by default everyone does this, but you can make a specific dwarf do it, which will increase the yield if they're good at it). It's one of the labors that has its own unique task that you can set from the labors menu. Harvesting should be auto-on by default for everyone.

Were you in a burrow or were the farms inaccessible somehow? Not enough room in stockpiles? I don't think I've had crops wither but it's also super easy to set-and-forget farms so I haven't noticed one way or the other.

Honestly the bolded part is so true in every other fortress I have that between this and other issues I'm starting to suspect something's bugging out under the hood with my originally-placed catchall stockpile.

That big stockpile right in the middle was my original "get everything off the wagon, everything but corpses and refuse go here" and it was still set up like that for most things, but I started running into Really Weird Things I hadn't had issues with in any fort before
- My craftsdwarf making stone crafts nonstop that weren't making it into bins, but stone blocks were just fine (which were set up to go into a different stockpile)
- Stuff not being pulled out of the trade depot after trading was completed until they were in active use
- Logs being left outside until the woodcarver actually needed to use them
- The aforementioned farming issue

I had tried to fix the farm by explicitly setting up only one grand master planter, thinking that everyone planting was resulting in too much being planted to gather, but I'm starting to think the "not enough room in stockpiles because the catchall stockpile is bugged the gently caress out" may actually be the root issue here, since my farms seem to have magically cleared up-- I changed several things (custom labor setups, gathering zone) but I think the actually-relevant one was probably "setting up a new explicit seed and planted goods stockpile"

e: Deleted and recreated the stockpile with the exact same settings and 30 dwarves immediately clown car'd out the front door to collect the wood piles that have been sitting outside for 8+ months so yeah that was probably the issue

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 11, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Why is everyone dumping their meals in this random office!? I just built you a perfectly grand dining hall!

Legitimately, I need to know how to make this stop. The piles of fish stew are starting to rot and this loving dwarf just keeps dumping more on the floor of his office and never eating them.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Give him some cabinets I guess?

I'm looking at my library and it's literally just not storing scrolls.

Books it seems happy with, but not the scrolls.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Alright, I think I'm ready for my gangtag submission.

After my last fort died to an aquifer-related incident after three years of peace, I decided I wanted a bit more excitement in my fort. I embarked on some semi-evil landscape, and I also drilled straight down to the cavern layer, intending to set up my fort fully within it.

Long story short, it wasn't easy; I forgot to embark with any military prowess, and oftentimes my makeshift defense force would run into troglodyte group fights with their copper battleaxes still tucked in their belts. And I can hardly train them, as I'm trying to get my major industries up and running; I need every dwarf either making something or putting something away in the proper stockpile.

Just as soon as I get my metal industry up and running, I get the message -- Oggez Ibrukgongith Basen the Sprayed, a Forgotten Beast. Some sorta flying black dragon-y creature that attacks via a cloud of "frozen extract." At this point I've walled off most points of egress of bad things into my little base in the cave, but I know there's still air gaps that I hadn't gotten around to closing off just yet -- I knew we'd have to fight.

On one hand, most of my dwarfs aren't great fighters, and I don't have many healthy ones left due to trog and cave croc attrition. On the other, I just got five new iron spears, and Oggez is made out of salt anyway -- he'll probably fall apart from the first hit, right?

He didn't fall apart. Turns out "frozen extract" is some cloud-based AoE that hits like he's causing dungeon collapses over and over while flying around and being a huge rear end in a top hat. In no time, 17/20 dwarves were dead, and Oggez had hardly a scratch on him.

Well, he did have one injury -- blinded. But I wasn't sure if that was from a dwarf strike or Oggez eating his own dust. Not sure what caused it, but my combat logs bugged out; whenever I clicked for details, it'd have some basic-rear end message like "Click for a more detailed few of events. Right click to close this window." In any case, I figured my fort was doomed, so I let it run while I grabbed a drink.

Came back, and not only are my three remaining dwarfs still alive, but Oggez is dead. Again, the alerts aren't telling me anything, and none of the remaining dwarves have a single kill to their name.

Here's all I could find of ole' Oggez:

The whole thing is still a mystery to me; if I had to guess based only on evidence, I would suppose that the beast did something to kill itself somehow.

Then, I notice something weird -- did that chicken always have a fancy name? I know animals get named as pets, but I'm pretty sure I embarked with a rooster, I didn't open it up to ownership, and none came in with a migrant wave...

I don't know when he did it -- I don't know how he did it -- but this chicken single-handedly defeated my fortress's greatest foe.

That's the story so far for Boatschlobbered. As an aside, I had a four-year-old who also solo'd a troglodyte and came out on top. May her soul rest in Armok's care.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
today a Giant Cave Toad knocked a dwarven child literally out of his shoes. The child then fell down the well and drowned. :(

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Arist posted:

Legitimately, I need to know how to make this stop. The piles of fish stew are starting to rot and this loving dwarf just keeps dumping more on the floor of his office and never eating them.

Honestly no clue, check the nobles menu? If you've had a mayor elected they're rather needy and want thier own dining room in addition to a decent quality quarters and study, perhaps it's his passive aggressive way of demanding better poo poo, "I'm just gonna keep dumping all my meals on the floor of my office until I get my own dining hall" but I highly doubt that's actually what's happening, sounds more like a bug where he's getting interrupted every time he sits down to eat for some reason, follow him around and see what he's actually doing and see if you can figure out where/if he's getting stuck in a loop somewhere. If all his needs are met maybe unzone the office and rezone and re-assign it and see if that fixes anything, maybe mark all the existing crap that's there as trash rather than trying to micro it back into a usable stockpile.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere on working with water? There's a river next to my base that I'd like to channel underground so I can use it for a water source and also I guess power. But I don't even know where to start.

The most important thing when working with hydraulics is to double- and triple-check your engineering before breaching the water. For your underground water source you'll want a series of floodgates linked to levers. Water pressurizes, so what I did to build my dining room well was to dig a cistern under the well location, have a slightly larger staging pool upstream of it, and then my channel from the river, with floodgates between river, channel, staging pool, and cistern. Open floodgates to fill channel, close. Open floodgate to fill staging pool, close. Open floodgates to fill cistern, close. That way you don't end up filling your dining hall with water.

Dig out everything and install floodgates, and patch up any holes in your waterworks with walls. Your final step will be digging a channel from above to breach the wall between river and waterworks. Once that's breached you better hope your floodgates work, cause it's a real nightmare to fix if not.

For underground power generation my understanding is that you want to dig your millrace channel all the way to the edge of the map, then smooth the tiles on the edge and engrave them. That way water can fully run off the map. I've never done this though, that's just what I've heard.

wilderthanmild posted:

Spoiler tagged since some people might wanna discover new things on their own.

That last one at least seems new. I wonder what horrible thing will happen if I mine it!

I can confirm that 1) there are loads of cool diamonds there 2) There's magma you can use for magmaworks 3) You'll be tempted to get greedy. Beware of this temptation.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You *can* savescum this stuff. I used to savescum just to get goblin bone furniture.

I was just grateful he didn't go on a rampage inside while goblins were attacking outside.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, I know I read a post about this the other day but I forget what it said :sweatdrop:

These are both barracks, the top barracks wears metal armor and is melee is trains just fine.
The bottom barracks is Archers, they all have crossbows equipped, I have bolts made, they're stored in a bin inside the barracks. But when they train, they're only training melee combat drills and not using the archery targets.

How do I make them actually train shooting?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere on working with water? There's a river next to my base that I'd like to channel underground so I can use it for a water source and also I guess power. But I don't even know where to start.

I found this a pretty good starting point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rY1T1Fh5ug

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

Spoiler tagged since some people might wanna discover new things on their own.

That last one at least seems new. I wonder what horrible thing will happen if I mine it!

I did more mining in that area. I can't quite get to the thing mentioned before, but trying to mine around I found this!

Spoiler tags since I think it's more new stuff.

So I got this alert, but it is the monster face alert icon, so I'm suspicious

It wasn't in a room or anything, just buried in a block of obsidian on Z level -12 between two magma pipes.

There's also tons of blue diamonds and stuff in the area.

Gonna haul this shield up and find out what horrors will befall the fort now.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 11, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is anyone else having trouble with medical dwarfs not doing their jobs and trees not being cut?

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, I know I read a post about this the other day but I forget what it said :sweatdrop:

These are both barracks, the top barracks wears metal armor and is melee is trains just fine.
The bottom barracks is Archers, they all have crossbows equipped, I have bolts made, they're stored in a bin inside the barracks. But when they train, they're only training melee combat drills and not using the archery targets.

How do I make them actually train shooting?

If they don't already have any military training they'll sometimes spend a while doing drills until they have some basic skills before they actually start training with ranged weapons I've noticed, give it a while and if they don't start within a couple of seasons, try re-assigning the squad, there's definitely some bugs with the military screen right now I've had dwarves stuck in training for months after I've disbanded a squad, and occasionally they'll get stuck in a loop of putting thier armor on stands, where they get removed to a stockpile and then they promptly go and get the armor back and put it back on the stand, etc.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not sure if gang tags are given out but I created a story through my own forgetfulness. Right as the dwarf trader was leaving in the second autumn, a goblin visitor came, who I really didn't want to start trouble in my fortress. Things had been going well including some carvans from the Elves and Humans where I was able to trade for some decent weapons and armor so I was prepared to fight just in case. I went ahead and burrowed my dwarves so everyone would be inside and I was planning on locking the outside doors.

He was a lot faster than I figured and by the time my dwarves left outside from trading he was in the tavern and arguing with my dwarves. I unlocked the doors and made a militia since I hadn't yet, and appointed a militia leader. He decided his first order of business was to try and put away a table for weeks, but thought he couldn't reach the storage and stayed right outside the door to it the whole time. I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't move. I eventually thought to mark the table as garbage and he dropped it, and went to the tavern with a weapon equipped.

However, by this time the goblin had made a friend and was enjoying a performance. I couldn't figure out why 90% of my dwarves were stuck in the tavern, dying of thirst, but also throwing a party along with the tavern party music playing. I finally realized that I hadn't ever turned off the emergency burrow, and most of my dwarves had been stuck inside the tavern for weeks, almost a month. The only one that had escaped was stuck outside of the storage. This all somehow didn't end up in disaster (yet), and I have a goblin friend (?). Curious to see if this will lead to anything.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sadly I don't know how to work archer squads. I only really ever make melee troops in anticipation of Fun. Though if people really need, I'll relink my militia tutorial as needed if people need it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

I did more mining in that area. I can't quite get to the thing mentioned before, but trying to mine around I found this!

It wasn't in a room or anything, just buried in a block of obsidian on Z level -12 between two magma pipes.

I found another buckler trying to mine around to whatever it is. I dunno if these are related or not still.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AnarkiJ posted:

If they don't already have any military training they'll sometimes spend a while doing drills until they have some basic skills before they actually start training with ranged weapons I've noticed, give it a while and if they don't start within a couple of seasons, try re-assigning the squad, there's definitely some bugs with the military screen right now I've had dwarves stuck in training for months after I've disbanded a squad, and occasionally they'll get stuck in a loop of putting thier armor on stands, where they get removed to a stockpile and then they promptly go and get the armor back and put it back on the stand, etc.

Thanks, that makes sense, these are all complete non-military dwarves and they're just doing basic striking drills and stuff.

Separate question:
I got tasked with building a temple complex so I busted out some of my platinum bars to make some nice high-value furniture, smoothed and engraved, two named artefacts on display pedestals, etc. Ever since I finished that, I am getting non-stop spammed with bard visitors wanting to join. I accepted 5 of them but I'm still getting like 20+ petitions to join every season.

Does that indicate that I need more bards? I am assigning them to rooms and everything, but it's just a lot of petitions to click No on constantly and I want it to stop :argh:

One of them was a poet at least and I think wrote a book about the temple and left it on the floor there? I can't find the book now but I saw it earlier. The whole temple/guild hall stuff is really cool IMO

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

wilderthanmild posted:

You got lucky, all i got was an incredibly powerful demon

He has killed 2 forgotton beasts effortlessly
i have walled up the lower levels so he cant get through

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
...I get the impression that out in 'untamed wilds', the more I fight, the more creatures I agitate.

I keep wiping out groups of giant insects and birds, and more just keep showing up. there's barely even any time to rest.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Thanks, that makes sense, these are all complete non-military dwarves and they're just doing basic striking drills and stuff.

Separate question:
I got tasked with building a temple complex so I busted out some of my platinum bars to make some nice high-value furniture, smoothed and engraved, two named artefacts on display pedestals, etc. Ever since I finished that, I am getting non-stop spammed with bard visitors wanting to join. I accepted 5 of them but I'm still getting like 20+ petitions to join every season.

Does that indicate that I need more bards? I am assigning them to rooms and everything, but it's just a lot of petitions to click No on constantly and I want it to stop :argh:

One of them was a poet at least and I think wrote a book about the temple and left it on the floor there? I can't find the book now but I saw it earlier. The whole temple/guild hall stuff is really cool IMO

It sounds like your temple is TOO awesome, I have made the same mistake with taverns, you want them at the minimal level of awesomeness in order to keep down the number of people requesting to join your fort because you have the coolest poo poo. Inevitably you'll always have an influx of dudes but you don't have to house them all, the game isn't telling you that you need more bards by sending them, they just really really like your fort. After I think, 2 years of residence some of them can actually become full citizens and takes regular labours like normal dwarves. If you manage to max out on the values of all your various taverns, temples and libraries and so on, you'll be well on your way to getting your fort designated mountainhome, and then you'll have a king/queen to deal with.

Ideally only try to let people in who are useful, at large population numbers the game can slow down a lot, although performance seems improved from the old version in a lot of ways, and mileage may vary depending on hardware.

edit - Also the libraries are one of my favourite things about the game, all the procedurally generated fiction and non-fiction stuff is really cool, as simple as most of it is, as your dwarves discover things and people come to your fort to learn about them and then spread that knowledge to other civs. It's really fun when you do a new embark in the same world and you get visitors bringing famous works of literature to your new fort that were invented at your old one and such.

AnarkiJ fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 11, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What the amrok is a fallen one? She looks kinda zombie like. But she still needs alcohol like a true dwarf.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can check the Objects screen (capital-O hotkey) to see all special named items in the fortress, including books owned by visitors.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VictualSquid posted:

What the amrok is a fallen one? She looks kinda zombie like. But she still needs alcohol like a true dwarf.

Necromancers can revive the dead as intelligent beings rather than just shambling walkers. These usually get a procedurally generated unique 'type' which has various assets, many of which are just the usual "I'm a zombie, rar" thing. They often get social acceptance.

For fun, if you get a necromancer dwarf, put them in the army!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a Grazer calculator somewhere? The wiki has a formula for it and like hell I can parse this:

quote:

GRAZER = 20000 × G × (max size)-3/4

G can be set in d_init (100 by default)

max size is the maximum size a creature can reach, divided by 10.

The minimum resulting GRAZER value is capped at 150, the maximum at 3 million.
The pre-calculated table doesn't list Turkeys but does list Red Pandas, who are the same max size as Turkeys and need a 2x1 pasture. That sounds small but what do I know?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mr E posted:

I'm not sure if gang tags are given out but I created a story through my own forgetfulness. Right as the dwarf trader was leaving in the second autumn, a goblin visitor came, who I really didn't want to start trouble in my fortress. Things had been going well including some carvans from the Elves and Humans where I was able to trade for some decent weapons and armor so I was prepared to fight just in case. I went ahead and burrowed my dwarves so everyone would be inside and I was planning on locking the outside doors.

Yeah, we're gonna be doing the gang tags for a couple more days. And it seems to me if you're going to accidentally lock a dwarf in somewhere, it might as well be the tavern.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Called out.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Necromancers can make some gnarly things, lot of trunks and external ribs, they tend to look like the Space Jockey guy from Alien.

I had one world where a necromancer had been mass producing guys like those out of dead elves, but in the course of blasphemous experiments on emus of all things accidentally developed some new weird fuckup undead that was a sack of scaled flesh with bat wings.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No matter what I do I can't get wagons to come to my depot, I'm as sure as I can be without a tool in the game to check that there's a 3 wide corridor to a map edge, but they just don't come, for humans or dwarves. I also don't see the "wagons have bypassed your site" message, but I don't know if that message still exists in the new version?

If I remember rightly humans don't always bring wagons but dwarves are always supposed to aren't they?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
After a few false starts that I wasn't quite vibing with, I finally settled on doing a mostly aboveground fort. I think it's looking pretty nice, everything feels stable, my food stores are steady, Tavern and hospital are both set up with temples coming soon, I got my pottery industry online and will soon have metalworking online, and the main structure continues to expand, I've got 2 floors right now and a basement level.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

No matter what I do I can't get wagons to come to my depot, I'm as sure as I can be without a tool in the game to check that there's a 3 wide corridor to a map edge, but they just don't come, for humans or dwarves. I also don't see the "wagons have bypassed your site" message, but I don't know if that message still exists in the new version?

If I remember rightly humans don't always bring wagons but dwarves are always supposed to aren't they?

I think you have to have at least 50 citizens for wagons to show up.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
How do I make a farm? Last time I played DF (the ascii version, years ago) you could just put those purple helmet things on the floor. Now I need mud, but I can't make any because I don't have any water. I tried opening a hole in the surface so rain could get into the cavern, but it didn't work. I don't have any rivers or ponds.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my fortress has a bunch of blind cave fish mafiosos, is there any way to look them up in legends without abandoning the fort?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

After a few false starts that I wasn't quite vibing with, I finally settled on doing a mostly aboveground fort. I think it's looking pretty nice, everything feels stable, my food stores are steady, Tavern and hospital are both set up with temples coming soon, I got my pottery industry online and will soon have metalworking online, and the main structure continues to expand, I've got 2 floors right now and a basement level.

I've wondered about doing a fort where we have a few buildings above ground to house non-dwarves and do trade meetings and stuff and then the bulk of the fort is properly underground, as Armok intended. Probably want to burrow into the side of a mountain.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I have forgotten so much about how to play DF, it makes me a little sad

Still, hey, what's life without a few "whoops, all magma" moments?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

pisshead posted:

How do I make a farm? Last time I played DF (the ascii version, years ago) you could just put those purple helmet things on the floor. Now I need mud, but I can't make any because I don't have any water. I tried opening a hole in the surface so rain could get into the cavern, but it didn't work. I don't have any rivers or ponds.

I think farming without any water at all might be a bit of an issue

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What’s the quick rundown on food? How do I tell if it’s rotting, or keep it from rotting?

Right now I have 359 food and 128 fish, but I also noticed I have “prepare fish” as an option at the Fishery. Does that make the fish edible and turn it into food, or does it need to be cooked after? Will it rot if it’s not prepared and cooked?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

pisshead posted:

Do you have an aquifer if you did down?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elderbean posted:

What’s the quick rundown on food? How do I tell if it’s rotting, or keep it from rotting?

Right now I have 359 food and 128 fish, but I also noticed I have “prepare fish” as an option at the Fishery. Does that make the fish edible and turn it into food, or does it need to be cooked after? Will it rot if it’s not prepared and cooked?

Food doesn't spoil when it's in a stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

pisshead posted:

On regular dirt like loam or silt or even sand, I don't think you strictly NEED water, though it helps productivity.

Failing that, the richest farming soil for underground crops is in the cavern layers, if you want to try walling off a bit of that to make a relatively safe farm. As a bonus it'll almost certainly have underground lakes!