Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Macdoo posted:

Still waiting on something cool to happen so I can earn my tag

Just had my first real threat though. Big giant calling himself "The Impervious". My axedwarfs cut his leg arteries and chopped away at his head within a minute or two. Incredibly pervious imo.

Anybody know how I can get them to chop him up so I can make his skull into some kind of hat?

If he's considered sapient, dwarves won't butcher him unfortunately

How am I supposed to properly zone out these rooms for nobles when it won't let me make a dining room over an office over a bedroom, with all the furniture confined to the same room? I'm trying to add a dining room zone to my mayor's quarters and it's saying 'table in use'

GODDAMN FOOL fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'll keep spoiler tagging new content fun stuff. Thanks for validating that.

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh, no wonder, the default mineral generation settings in the Steam version is basically maxed out. No wonder it's pretty much everywhere.

That makes sense. I was feeling really lucky mineral wise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Broken Cog posted:

Not everyone, but he bashed in the skull of 3 dwarves, and sent half a dozen more to the hospital.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think the Outpost Liaison broke in my game :smith:

She's just been hanging out in my tavern socializing. Never met with my Mayor or got our demands. My Mayor hasn't been busy, he's just been wandering around doing basic chores like hauling.

But there's this:

It seems like the game thinks that this birdwoman is supposed to attend a meeting? Maybe it somehow confused my Mayor with this visitor?

So I thought, okay, maybe I'll fix the game by sending my military out to kill her. I mean, a shame we have to murder the peaceful birdwoman but if she's somehow usurped my ability to communicate with the Liaison, it has to be done. Except:

Birdwoman is hanging out roughly in outer space. I'm going to have to build the Tower of Babel to try and get to her if she is the issue. Meanwhile it's now late Winter and the Liaison is still just chilling in the tavern. She seems happy at least but I can't shake the feeling the Mountainhomes are gonna be pissed she never came home. The trade caravan left months ago.

So this dumb birdwoman I posted about earlier in the thread FINALLY cancelled her "meeting" 2 years later and the liaison immediately left angry and then I got a shitload of petitions from people wanting to join my fortress all at once. So she somehow broke like, all the diplomacy in the game but eventually unfucked herself. I may have to build a giant tower to kill her just for vengeance.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Three of the rooms at my tavern have been rented. I checked by whom and it's three dwarven children who are part of my fortress. I guess they wanted to have their own space.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Think I kind of figured out the "food on the floor" situation. I ended up putting chests in any room that belonged to any dwarf and they started putting them away. Thankfully, that food no longer seems to spoil once it's been put away. Wish I could just remove the "ownership" on the food, though, because it's very annoying for only one dwarf to be able to interact with it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uh.... my necromancers zombies seem to be attacking my dwarves what the heck

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The dwarven baby, the last living citizen of the fortress, stares up at the scholars and prophets, but they do not help.

Why do they not help?

I guess this is the end of Shotclear.

Would make a hell of an origin story, though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jazerus posted:

turkeys don't require pasturing, they scavenge bugs out of the soil. i generally excavate 6x5 bird pens on a soil layer and stick my chickens, turkeys, peacocks, etc. in those with nest boxes for egg collection. you just have to be careful to separate males and females once you have enough hens to give a decent number of eggs or you'll have a birdsplosion that tanks fps

They really should for game balance purposes require a small pasture but I also have wild ideas like "Llama and alpaca wool should have different properties from sheep wool" so you know.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Booting the game up for the night and I'm gonna start by asking a bunch of questions that hopefully get answered as I stumble through some of the answers on my own :v:

What does a Chief Medical Dwarf do if they aren't assigned to any medical stuff? He's legendary at a lot of medical stuff (I realize this probably warns of danger but well this is my third fort and I made it halfway through year three already despite my best efforts otherwise) so I figured he'd be a good "leader" in that regard but I had to start assigning other dwarves (as well as him) to do medical stuff because it wasn't happening otherwise.

Since I didn't do the thing in worldgen with smoothing out cavern elevations, am I just stuck with an annoying to navigate cavern or can I just like mine everything out on a level or two and not worry about it caving in on top of me? I'd like to try and engage with...whatever I can do there, and maybe continue to dig deeper. I also have like half a dozen monster slayer residents because when I breached it I didn't realize how much stuff would come attacking me and I was not prepared at all so I just accepted whatever help I could get.

I made like eight temples but a lot of my dwarves aren't using them to pray, am I missing something with them? Also will generic temples fulfill that need?

What's a good size for a squad? I just got two waves of migrants pretty close together so I figure I can make some of my dwarves into just pure military now. Feels like the game really pushes me towards specializing as much as possible instead of letting "whoever" do a lot of tasks.

Is there a better way to store stone and ore than "a big fuckoff stockpile," since they can't stack or go in bins apparently?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HopperUK posted:

goddamn Wile E Coyote move
speaking of

skrrrrrrrrrt

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

IronicDongz posted:

speaking of

skrrrrrrrrrt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srC9irH4aLA

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Tunicate posted:

my fortress has a bunch of blind cave fish mafiosos, is there any way to look them up in legends without abandoning the fort?

Copy the save folder, rename it, load into and retire the fort, start legends therein. When finished, go back and play your untouched OG save

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Pasture them over your refuse pile, let the extra vermin do the work on your refuse.

On this next fort I'm absolutely not bothering with coffins. Everything goes down the corpse-shaft and then I'ma make stones. The memorial stones dialogue is also rear end, but at least I'll run out of stone only half as quickly. I'm gonna set up some sort of choke point at the entrance and have absolutely nothing outside that's useful, so people stay the gently caress indoors.

Maybe I'll try a tundra...

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I have killed a couple more forgotten beasts, and a while after one of them a few dead people popped up. Oh no, maybe its breath or something had poisoned them and they were dying a couple months later? Luckily no, I memorialized a random bard that was found dead in my tavern and it turned out she had died peacefully from old age. One of the beasts did have ichor or something that made my dwarves get increasingly drowsy and fall asleep. I have a well with a stockpile of soap nearby and I do think they sometimes take baths doing that, but I don't think I've found a reliable way to clean anything specific. I know people used to use mist/waterfalls to make sure to get gunk off but I don't know how I'd accomplish that in this fort.

I also figured out how to use most of those useless bards as cannon fodder. If you just don't restrict them in a burrow they still tend to do "everyone" jobs like, say, hauling stuff out of the caverns. Where the forgotten beasts are. I can't say whacking those with instruments or books is particularly helpful but it does get rid of the freeloaders and give you time to set up your militia. I suppose that does cause some negative thoughts and potential workload via coffins and such but, hey, there's only so many musicians I really need.

Speaking of coffins, a militiadwarf had her hand lopped off at some point. She's alive and well now, minus the hand, which someone helpfully hauled to what's been designated as her coffin. Kind of macabre, really.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

How am I supposed to properly zone out these rooms for nobles when it won't let me make a dining room over an office over a bedroom, with all the furniture confined to the same room? I'm trying to add a dining room zone to my mayor's quarters and it's saying 'table in use'

In case anyone else finds this post and wants the answer, someone in the Steam forums pointed out that you can get around this by using Paint instead of Multi when drawing the zone

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

StarkRavingMad posted:

Three of the rooms at my tavern have been rented. I checked by whom and it's three dwarven children who are part of my fortress. I guess they wanted to have their own space.

They’re gonna get high and watch movies, 100%

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can make a dwarven footbath. Dig a 3x3 channel in front of the entrance to your temple or dining hall and make sure the ramps are like this, with walls on either side so they can't skip past it.

|VVV|
|XXX|
|VVV|

Fill it with a pit/pond designation and buckets, until the water in the bottom is all 2 but with one square of 3 high water. The 3 stops it from evaporating.

Everyone has to go through it to get in and all the gunk will fall right off 'em.

I think I'll put it in front of my food stockpile, in my next fort.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 12, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Should I build a floodgate on this pathway to the well at the center of my base before I release the river into it? Nahhhh it'll be fine"

"oh gently caress, water pressure exists"

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

edit: ^^^^^ I had totally forgotten to put an appropriate floodgate while trying to dig out a bigger cistern for my well and I had to do some emergency door + floodgate maneuvers to close that room off. It's now underwater. We don't talk about that room anymore.

Nettle Soup posted:

You can make a dwarven footbath. Dig a 3x3 channel in front of the entrance to your temple or dining hall and make sure the ramps are like this, with walls on either side so they can't skip past it.

|VVV|
|XXX|
|VVV|

Fill it with a pit/pond designation and buckets, until the water in the bottom is all 2 but with one square of 3 high water. The 3 stops it from evaporating.

Everyone has to go through it to get in and all the gunk will fall right off 'em.

I think I'll put it in front of my food stockpile, in my next fort.

Why thank you! Definitely going to see if I can place that somewhere relevant. I normally don't care too much about blood splatters or whatever but they kept tracking around some of that ichor for months. If it had been something more deadly this would've been a bigger problem.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

The most important thing when working with hydraulics is to double- and triple-check your engineering before breaching the water. For your underground water source you'll want a series of floodgates linked to levers. Water pressurizes, so what I did to build my dining room well was to dig a cistern under the well location, have a slightly larger staging pool upstream of it, and then my channel from the river, with floodgates between river, channel, staging pool, and cistern. Open floodgates to fill channel, close. Open floodgate to fill staging pool, close. Open floodgates to fill cistern, close. That way you don't end up filling your dining hall with water.

Dig out everything and install floodgates, and patch up any holes in your waterworks with walls. Your final step will be digging a channel from above to breach the wall between river and waterworks. Once that's breached you better hope your floodgates work, cause it's a real nightmare to fix if not.

Is it possible to install floodgates vertically? If so, in what order do you need to do things?

If I first channel a hole in the floor I can't seem to place a floodgate over it, but if not, how do I remove the floor afterwards?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If I channel out extra spaces from a body of water, does the new area I've dug inherit its fish, or are those a property of the original water tiles?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

How in the world do I put a captured goblin on to a retractable bridge that I'm eventually going to drop down in to a huge pit?

When I try to build a new cage and then selecting the cage it always says building space already occupied.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

First time i've gotten a necromancer in a migrant wave. Got two of them in my first migrant wave on a new embark.

Then I spotted this loving thing running around:

What the hell is it? Neither of my Necros is named Nusbi?

Is it dangerous?

It seems to have a lovely personality.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

First time i've gotten a necromancer in a migrant wave. Got two of them in my first migrant wave on a new embark.

Then I spotted this loving thing running around:

What the hell is it? Neither of my Necros is named Nusbi?

Is it dangerous?

It may be named after some other necromancer in the world who invented the technique for creating this abomination, and other necromancers respect the trademark. It's like a Guillotine or a Zamboni or, appropriately, a Frankenstein.

Since it doesn't have a name, it's probably dangerous, as it isn't one of your guys that got resurrected, it's likely a wild intelligent undead that wandered in

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i killed some crundles

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

i killed some crundles

I’ve yet to ever see a crundle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I had an undead monster slayer elf lady, Liceyi Sanctumroar, visit my fortress. She sounded kinda rad, so I loaded the save into Legends to check out her story, and submit it for the gangtag.

Turns out she wasn't a monster slayer at all, but rather some random elf bard named Nemile Haileddeer with far fewer relations than she pretended to have. She did have quite a story though. Some 120 years before she visited my fort she became a bard and authored several works. After studying under a few masters she became a master herself and tutored two apprentices. She then spent some time as the champion of a dwarven settlement of my civilization, encountering a forgotten beast and surviving. However, this didn't seem to be very good for her love life, as she went through several lovers during her 40 year stint as a soldier. Finally, about 50 years before she visited my fortress, she was struck down by a dog in a siege from a dwarven tower. However, the fortress she died at was absolutely lousy with dwarven necromancers both before and after the attack, and about twenty years after she died she was returned to life by a necromancer who had also died in that fortress and had been resurrected not long before. From there it seems she became something of a covert agent, and visited my fortress as part of a plot to steal artifacts and start a coup under the command of the necromancer who raised her.

Nemile had two daughters who also became undead. Her eldest daughter was experimented on and turned into a night creature, and killed 5 elves in her short life as a night creature before being killed and resurrected. Her second daughter fought in many wars but never actually killed anyone, eventually falling in battle. When she was resurrected, she briefly became chieftess of a dwarven fortress, but was ignobly returned to death by a bobcat.

Considering that my fortress has had three different necromancers immigrate so far, I think the incidence of necromancy in worldgen may be a mite overtuned, but it sure is generating some weird and wonderful history.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

the best meals you'll have in your life
e: I want to make it clear I have literally like 300 of these

Clocks fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

HopperUK posted:

Just post a story about something cool or funny or interesting that happened in your game, and mention you want a tag :)

Done it a few times, including having a post asking for it quoted by a mod without one yet (I get it, lots of new players, just re-iterating a request for one)

Nist my hunter and main archer had an aching need for abstract thinking and it was quickly consuming his entire being, despite my continual improvements to his otherwise-content life. I finally had to remove him from every duty and assigned him to stare at books all day. Finally his rage appears to be slowly sating.

I don't know why but I've got three popups in a row that no migrants have come, despite otherwise having a pretty successful first two years of fortress. I don't think I prevented previous migrants from leaving, but possibly?

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Asterite34 posted:

It may be named after some other necromancer in the world who invented the technique for creating this abomination, and other necromancers respect the trademark. It's like a Guillotine or a Zamboni or, appropriately, a Frankenstein.

Since it doesn't have a name, it's probably dangerous, as it isn't one of your guys that got resurrected, it's likely a wild intelligent undead that wandered in

well he just ran around and never attacked anything. What is the sprite for? Undead abominations? I had another named one that wandered around later and the first caravan mace dwarf merc'd when they left.

Clocks posted:

RIP your fort net worth. Gonna buy out Caravans for days

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have this forgotten-beast parchemnt scroll with a good story on it. Laying on the ground. Nobody will ever pick it up, can't place it on any pedestal. What's up with this scroll, anything to do with it? Can't trade it either. I get an empty tab for scrolls or whatever

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I have a very good boy in my fort.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Quinton posted:

Is it possible to install floodgates vertically? If so, in what order do you need to do things?

If I first channel a hole in the floor I can't seem to place a floodgate over it, but if not, how do I remove the floor afterwards?

Floodgates are generally installed on the same z-level that the water occupies. You want to dig your tunnels and stuff while everything is dry, and then set it up so you can channel the water into your plumbing system by channeling adjacent to your floodgates and water source on the z-level above. (the shore of a river for example)

If you want to set up a vertical drain system you'd want to use hatches, I think?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Clocks posted:

Is that 9980 *each*? What else is in there, Adamantine wafers and dragon flesh?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have hundreds of bones in my refuse stockpile. But but bonecrafters cancel bone projects saying theres no unrotten bones to choose from. are these bones rotten, is there something i can do to clean them?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Khanstant posted:

I have hundreds of bones in my refuse stockpile. But but bonecrafters cancel bone projects saying theres no unrotten bones to choose from. are these bones rotten, is there something i can do to clean them?

Are the bones in your refuse stockpiles called "bones" or something like "skeleton" or "right leg bone" or something like that?

The bones that you use for bonecrafting come from a butcher's workshop, either butchering a recently-deceased animal or slaughtering a living one.

Oh, and skulls (for totems), shells, and teeth/ivory, they all use the bonecrafting labor but different categories in the workshop menu.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Why are children always furious

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

Floodgates are generally installed on the same z-level that the water occupies. You want to dig your tunnels and stuff while everything is dry, and then set it up so you can channel the water into your plumbing system by channeling adjacent to your floodgates and water source on the z-level above. (the shore of a river for example)

If you want to set up a vertical drain system you'd want to use hatches, I think?

Ah, I didn't realize hatches were water-tight and lever controllable.

My plan is to dig a cistern under a well, but ideally I'd have the ability to close off the well from the cistern, then open up a water inlet to fill it, then close off the water inlet and open the path up to the well, to avoid overflow situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Why are children always furious

I mean, have you met a child recently?