Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

35 is the new 28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pungry posted:

Very happy the Panthers took their President's Trophy winning team out back and shot it so that it could hire Paul Maurice to win "playoff-style hockey" against the Tampa Bay Lightning, and that it's working so well :cheers:

Boy let me tell you about insane overreactions by a President's trophy team to an unfortunate two week stretch!

The Panthers Benning era has begun

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 11, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/JVitek94/status/1601932715212918784?t=JZylTpP8oFH5gIJLkwif3A&s=19

hell yes jags

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Boy let me tell you about insane overreactions by a President's trophy team to an unfortunate two week stretch!

The Panthers Benning era has begun

Fear not though, because after 7 years of the Benning Era you will enter into the Jim Rutherford Era

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Better than most players in the bottom six on many teams. Sign him you cowards!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

50 year old Jagr is playing professional hockey.

Meanwhile late 30s Mind_Taker just pulled a back muscle picking up a spoon that fell on the floor.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
News: Anaheim Ducks players Frank Vatrano and Isac Lundestrom visited my nephew at Childrens Hospital Orange County and gave him a present.

Views: I will never say anything negative about these players for the rest of my life.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

50 year old Jagr is playing professional hockey.

Meanwhile late 30s Mind_Taker just pulled a back muscle picking up a spoon that fell on the floor.

bend with your knees, not your back. smh didn't take jaromir Jagr 38 years to learn that one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

bend with your knees, not your back. smh didn't take jaromir Jagr 38 years to learn that one

Dustin Penner, on the other hand

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

SolarFire2 posted:

News: Anaheim Ducks players Frank Vatrano and Isac Lundestrom visited my nephew at Childrens Hospital Orange County and gave him a present.

Views: I will never say anything negative about these players for the rest of my life.

This is heartwarming

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1602018929655910400?s=46&t=znDCqWWAVKu7n9BajL5OgQ

Has never really lived up to that d+1 season in the KHL, but it’s that time of years where teams’ depth is being tested due to an Avalanche of injuries. I could see somebody giving him a shot in their top-6 for a couple weeks due to first round pedigree

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

That's kinda nuts. You'd think that Poile would get at least something for him, because no way he passes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't really get that. That's a very cheap cap hit too. No way he's making it through.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexdaugherty1/status/1602022799178190848?s=46&t=GQhpk56ulXkIzhy8J9vtQg

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It seems crazy that no deal existed for Tolvanen. He is still young enough that he should have that prospect shine.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
David Poile traded assets for Jeremy Lauzon last year and signed him to a new contract. Dude's clearly lost it regardless of how Eeli pans out after this. It's sad but it's time to move on from the only GM they've ever known.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Poile’s been around since 97 and hasn’t drafted an elite forward in his entire tenure. His biggest achievement is a silver medal at the 2010 Olympics lol

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Poile’s been around since 97 and hasn’t drafted an elite forward in his entire tenure. His biggest achievement is a silver medal at the 2010 Olympics lol

Lol, looking at the list, the best forwards he ever drafted are Martin Erat, Scott Hartnell, Patric Hornqvist, and David Legwand. And that was all like 20 years ago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/status/1602018929655910400?s=46&t=znDCqWWAVKu7n9BajL5OgQ

Has never really lived up to that d+1 season in the KHL, but it’s that time of years where teams’ depth is being tested due to an Avalanche of injuries. I could see somebody giving him a shot in their top-6 for a couple weeks due to first round pedigree

He's cheap. He's Finnish. His potential new team is banged up.

Come to Butthead.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Tolvanen is going to turn into a 40 point player for whoever scoops him up

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

It was surprising, then, when Gudbranson made a statement before talking to the media in advance of Friday’s game vs. Calgary:

“This is for the Columbus (media). I made a comment after our last game. You know, context is so important. The way it came out on the other side was certainly not my intention. We were speaking about our practice habits, and that comment was based on the players and us taking ownership. It had nothing to do with the coaching staff being unprepared or preparing us. Those guys spend hours and hours and hours working so hard to get us prepared. There are little details that we can control that we need to control a little bit better. That was the message and I wanted to clarify that.”

Clearly, Gudbranson’s comment, as innocuous as it seemed, didn’t sit well with somebody in the organization. But it’s a troubling sign that somebody — anybody — was worried about messaging in the wake of that ugly display on home ice.

It was a reminder of the early days of the organization, when the Blue Jackets were a disaster on ice and legendary center Sergei Fedorov was scolded by then-GM Doug MacLean for his blunt, but fair critique of young wingers Rick Nash and Nikolai Zherdev.

That experience told Fedorov all he needed to know about the organization.

https://theathletic.com/3988978/2022/12/11/blue-jackets-2023-draft-center/

Boy, we're back to the "look, our team sucks, but you should say NICE things about it!" days, are we? :shepicide:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://theathletic.com/3988978/2022/12/11/blue-jackets-2023-draft-center/

Boy, we're back to the "look, our team sucks, but you should say NICE things about it!" days, are we? :shepicide:

When did those days ever end. :v:

Chicago sucks so bad and they still have to trade Toews and Kane. Their entire roster is one big game of "Oh yeah that guy. Didnt know he still plays."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

There was a vocal contingent of idiots that spent a decade arguing the reason Benning made terrible moves was because the local press was too negative about the team.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just let Jagr into the HoF right now. The dude is a freak. Give him a special exception.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SolarFire2 posted:

That's really nice. Sorry your kid is sick. I hope you and everyone here has good holiday tidings.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Ovi will only score engs from now on

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Ovi will only score engs from now on

Don’t give a gently caress either. Winnipeg sucks though for not pulling their goalie a second time, get with the loving program.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the philadelphia flyers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They're really letting Ovi milk it with the empty netters huh

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're really letting Ovi milk it with the empty netters huh

Yeah it rules!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: CBJ are 7-6-2 since Finland.

V: That's not the kind of pace that gets you Connor Bedard, though Jack Roslovic suddenly finding his game is something I approve of.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
it must be tough watching ovi fall into decay and entropy and know that there are illegal compounds and hormone elixirs out there that could make him play like a 25 year old again (because he was on those when he was 25).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

it must be tough watching ovi fall into decay and entropy and know that there are illegal compounds and hormone elixirs out there that could make him play like a 25 year old again (because he was on those when he was 25).

he's definitely still on them now, at 37, too

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Do whatever it takes to get Ovi to #1. I want to see an increasingly drunk and despondent Gretzky trotted out on television in the weeks and months leading up to his record being broken. We might actually see his soul die on live television.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Do whatever it takes to get Ovi to #1. I want to see an increasingly drunk and despondent Gretzky trotted out on television in the weeks and months leading up to his record being broken. We might actually see his soul die on live television.

Gretzky lives in st Louis , any remnants of a soul left years ago.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The Gretzky family loses another precious legacy to the Russians.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna take over number two in the next 5-8 games if I had to guess. Here’s the schedule:

Hope it happens at home, gonna be an insane experience if you’re lucky to have tickets.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 12, 2022

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Kind of poetic if it happens in the match against Detroit

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Washington has also been much better this year than in prior years when the other teams goalie is pulled. I’ll look up the stats but in prior years they’d give up tying goals pretty frequently when they had their grinders out there. Now it seems like they just put the Ovie turret out there to end games when the net is empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like Washington has also been much better this year than in prior years when the other teams goalie is pulled. I’ll look up the stats but in prior years they’d give up tying goals pretty frequently when they had their grinders out there. Now it seems like they just put the Ovie turret out there to end games when the net is empty.

Yeah it's surprising how effective it is since it's basically 6 v 4, but I guess knowing Ovechkin is cherry picking might throw opposing offenses off-balance a bit? He's really good at hitting the shot from range and, weirdly, almost seems like a better player in transition with the net empty? He had a nice little move last night where he passed it to himself off the boards, for example. Didn't score on that one, granted. Maybe it's not that he's better but that in ENG situations he takes the puck up-ice at all, which he just hasn't done for like a decade.