Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The rated lifespan of the bulb is calculated from the degradation of the phosphor that turns blue light into a white spectrum. It gets bleached over time due to heat and the action of the light itself, and as it does so, the light dims.

However, it’s possible for the electronics to “randomly” fail long before phosphor degradation sets in. Some brands/models/batches are much worse than others. Usually this is the power electronics. Sometimes it’s the light emitting diodes themselves. They tend to connected in series, so if one diode fails, it takes down the whole lamp.

P.S.: You can see a catastrophic version of phosphor failure in some cities where they used bad streetlights. This just lets the blue light shine straight out, never being converted to white light.

https://twitter.com/cityofmhk/status/1417556675041636359

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Huh, those blue streetlights are all over my town. That explains it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We should do the blue streetlights on purpose

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

They're actually really unpleasant in person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The blue is bad, but I miss the nearly monochromatic orange glow of low pressure sodium lamps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Alan Smithee posted:

whenever i think about flash of genius i wonder whaT DID people do before windshield wipers

this was meant to be a question btw

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Alan Smithee posted:

whenever i think sbout flash of genius i wonder whaT DID people do before windshield wipers
I didn't know the answer to this, but my first Google hit for what did drivers do before windshield wipers answered it in detail.

Basically, there wasn't much time that cars existed without at least manual windshield wipers (less than 20 years, and the first manual wiper for a train predated cars). And in that brief period of time:

quote:

In lieu of the yet-to-be-invented windshield wiper, they are said to have used plug tobacco, a piece of potato, carrot or onion, or most anything else they could remember to bring along to keep their small piece of vertical glass wiped down during inclement weather. I'm thinking some of them must have tried rags or sponges, too, before squeegees

dirby fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 12, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Manual windshield wipers are a pretty easy invention compared to a car that works, so they fixed that issue pretty quickly.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Also bear in mind that the earliest cars were very much horseless carriages and had open cabins with no windshields.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

King Carnivore posted:

Also bear in mind that the earliest cars were very much horseless carriages and had open cabins with no windshields.

Can hardly look at that photo without hearing a comical AOOOGA noise in my head

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoH9uZmaTno

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ants have been marching into the house as of late. What is the best way to get rid of them? I think it’s because of the rain. They’re everywhere, bathroom, kitchen and found a few in the dining room. Usually like 5-10 at a time, but they’re persistent.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For me I always start by trying to clean up anything that might be yummy to them, and wiping up their yummy trails with cleaning spray of choice (for me, vinegar). I like to at least give them a chance to relocate and it works most of the time but when they are really persistent, Terro or similar is a pretty cheap and effective bait/poison that is pretty environmentally benign, being just borax and sugar water.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

I bought thus small wrought iron pendant from a Christmas Market.

Does this sign have any specific meaning? Before gifting it to one of my nieces, it could be good to know if this is some known benevolent pattern, and not actually the emblem of 286th SS baby-killing brigade or something.

At least the salesperson looked like a hippie blacksmith, but who knows nowadays.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Ants have been marching into the house as of late. What is the best way to get rid of them? I think it’s because of the rain. They’re everywhere, bathroom, kitchen and found a few in the dining room. Usually like 5-10 at a time, but they’re persistent.

This has been answered in the ant thread, which everyone should read in it's entirety.

Short version: ants are extremely persistent, and even killing the individual ants won't do anything because of how the colony works. As mentioned, you can spray vinegar, which they hate, but the real kicker is you gotta figure out what they're after and remove that. It's likely some unsealed food somewhere.
You can also try following them back and finding the nest. What you do with it, I don't want to know, but be quick about it, no poison poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

obi_ant posted:

When I had ants come into my house, I followed them back to the spot they were coming in and sealed it up. They'd eventually find a new way in, but I'd seal that up as well. It's an endless cycle, but each time you block their path you get rid of them for a while.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Letmebefrank posted:

I bought thus small wrought iron pendant from a Christmas Market.

Does this sign have any specific meaning? Before gifting it to one of my nieces, it could be good to know if this is some known benevolent pattern, and not actually the emblem of 286th SS baby-killing brigade or something.

At least the salesperson looked like a hippie blacksmith, but who knows nowadays.

Looks like it could be a version of the endless knot from a series of symbols used in quite a few Eastern religions. Reminds me a little of the ouroboros as far as meaning goes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

alnilam posted:

Can hardly look at that photo without hearing a comical AOOOGA noise in my head

Myrtle Wilson wasn’t just in the way of Daisy. She had a nice set of knockers

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How instinctual is the feeling that thinking happens inside the head? Was there a time before we knew the function of the brain where people perceived their thoughts as coming from other parts of the body?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

Was there a time before we knew the function of the brain where people perceived their thoughts as coming from other parts of the body?

Absolutely. The ancient Egyptians thought it came from the heart, and when embalming a body took great pains to preserve it (among other select organs) in a special jar.

The brain, by contrast, they considered unimportant. They mooshed it up via a hook through the nose, spooned it out an eye socket, and threw it in the garbage.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 12, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Killingyouguy! posted:

How instinctual is the feeling that thinking happens inside the head? Was there a time before we knew the function of the brain where people perceived their thoughts as coming from other parts of the body?

It’s not really instinctual. People had to think about it.

You may recognize in culture today echoes of a major competing hypothesis from antiquity, the cardiocentric model, under which the heart was believed to be the seat of thought.

So what was the brain for? In Sense and Sensibilia, Aristotle, taking note of all the blood vessels going to the brain, argued that the purpose of the brain was to cool the blood. This obviously explains why your nose is on your head and not elsewhere on the body.

quote:

This also helps us to understand why the olfactory organ has its proper seat in the environment of the brain, for cold matter is potentially hot. In the same way must the genesis of the eye be explained. Its structure is an offshoot from the brain, because the latter is the moistest and coldest of all the bodily parts.

The great physician Galen, in contrast, correctly identified the head as the seat of thought, but the matter wouldn’t be settled for millennia more.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

For ants I found diatomaceous earth really effective; it's not toxic to big animals and people and stuff, so you can be pretty liberal with it, and in my case it took several days but disrupted the ant trails.

Edit: I always thought it was weird we didn't figure out the brain=thinking earlier from stuff like concussions. Jim bumps his head hard and suddenly thinking is tough, mysterious.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 12, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trapick posted:

For ants I found diatomaceous earth really effective; it's not toxic to big animals and people and stuff, so you can be pretty liberal with it, and in my case it took several days but disrupted the ant trails.

Edit: I always thought it was weird we didn't figure out the brain=thinking earlier from stuff like concussions. Jim bumps his head hard and suddenly thinking is tough, mysterious.

Cooling not working, that's why your thinking heart doesn't produce the expected results. But yeah, the ancient Greeks, especially the philosophers, were not big on empirical tests. My favourite is they're model of arrow flights: they go straight until they run out of force, then straight down. Presumably their archers knew better

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is “Take and Bake” bread any different than regular bread or is it just marketing?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BonHair posted:

Cooling not working, that's why your thinking heart doesn't produce the expected results. But yeah, the ancient Greeks, especially the philosophers, were not big on empirical tests. My favourite is they're model of arrow flights: they go straight until they run out of force, then straight down. Presumably their archers knew better

Or Aristotle claiming that men have more teeth than women without bothering to look into anyone's mouth for three seconds

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah people think of the Ancient Greeks as having like scientific thought and advancement but they were dumb as poo poo. A lot of what we tend to think about the Greeks comes from propaganda from other slave empires talking them up as the originators of civilisation and white supremacists talking them up as the OG white people, when in fact they thought white people were pale and gross.

Also it's hard to get much right without the scientific method, we take it as a given but it's only been around for a few hundred years.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

smackfu posted:

Is “Take and Bake” bread any different than regular bread or is it just marketing?

It's different in that it isn't baked yet...? Like what kind of differences are you asking about here? I've never seen any ads/marketing for it.
I guess it is nice if you want to eat hot bread out of your oven. And it won't immediately go stale so you can keep it refrigerated for a while before baking it. A loaf of freshly baked "real" bread without preservatives can stale pretty quickly so if you go shopping once a week you can't just buy a whole week worth of baguettes or whatever.

But the end result of baking bread in your own oven vs someone else's oven won't make a difference, no.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 12, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

A sort of rediscovery of Greek philosophy was a big part of the new academic scene in the Renaissance, and formed the foundation of a lot of european thought during that period, i mean yes modern white supremacists use it as propaganda but classical Greek influence on the foundations of modern european academia is very real. It had good and bad aspects for sure. Aristotelian thought in particular set back science quite a lot because of its explicit rejection of experimentation. Galileo's whole thing was pushing back on that and confirming his hypotheses with evidence, and academia at the time hated him for it (his scrap with the vatican didn't come til much later in his career)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's different in that it isn't baked yet...? Like what kind of differences are you asking about here? I've never seen any ads/marketing for it.
I guess it is nice if you want to eat hot bread out of your oven. And it won't immediately go stale so you can keep it refrigerated for a while before baking it. A loaf of freshly baked "real" bread without preservatives can stale pretty quickly so if you go shopping once a week you can't just buy a whole week worth of baguettes or whatever.

But the end result of baking bread in your own oven vs someone else's oven won't make a difference, no.

Not entirely true unless you own a commercial oven that can achieve some Pretty Dang Hot temperatures (depending on the type of bread you're baking) and also injects (or doesn't inject) steam into the oven at the correct times to help the bread rise correctly and aid in crust formation. Home bakers with consumer ovens have to jump through a few extra hoops to produce bread with the same qualities professional bakers with their fancy ovens produce.

Source: I have baked way too much bread.

Take & bake bread is, in my experience at least, bread that has been baked to the point where it has finished rising before being removed from the oven. All you do in your home oven is finish the bake which, for the most part, involves browning the crust. However bread that has been baked partially, stopped, and then baked again will never achieve the same quality of crust that you might get on an artisan loaf because the type of dough that produces truly fantastic crust does not respond well to this sort of treatment.

Take and bake bread is usually not raw dough, as raw dough A) is not shelf stable, and B) is delicate to the point where shipping it around or tossing it in a grocery cart would gently caress it up to the point where it'd be unbakeable. The one exception here is, of course, dough sold in a tube (eg. Pillsbury biscuits), which is real dough, but its leavening agent is usually baking powder or something like that as opposed to wild or manufactured yeast like you'd find in an artisan loaf.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
How do I use big words in my vocabulary without people dogpiling me?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Delphisage posted:

Do you have an example?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Delphisage posted:

you used the word "shinto" to refer to "the entirety of japanese culture" because you thought it was "an alternate term I could use to spice up my thesaurus" and not, yknow, a religion.

this is a problem that's easily solved by knowing what words mean before you use them.

also why are you being coy about it? there's a post history button under your username that anyone can use!

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you used the word "shinto" to refer to "the entirety of japanese culture" because you thought it was "an alternate term I could use to spice up my thesaurus" and not, yknow, a religion.

this is a problem that's easily solved by knowing what words mean before you use them.

also why are you being coy about it? there's a post history button under your username that anyone can use!

lmfao

Delphisage posted:

Look man you should probably go to a psychiatrist or something, this is not healthy normal behaviour on a website or anywhere else.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Delphisage posted:

another helpful thing if you do not want to get dogpiled is to not immediately reply defensively to every single poster who says "you're wrong lol"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Delphisage posted:

You keep posting things like this and then I look in your post history and you've been being weird and misrepresenting it here

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
afaict delphisage is posting 100% earnestly with no intent to deceive and just literally does not understand How To Post On A Forum, or why people get mad at them, etc

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

afaict delphisage is posting 100% earnestly with no intent to deceive and just literally does not understand How To Post On A Forum, or why people get mad at them, etc

If I make it too specific, I'll get probed for exporting drama, won't I?

Or is asking this at all exporting drama? I'll withdraw my ask, then.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Delphisage posted:

Maybe don't. Keep it simple and straight-forward for a while.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Let's step this back a bit.

When you're in a group conversation, there is an expectation that nobody hogs the spotlight. That means that people are going to move in and out of the conversation -- they'll post for a bit, then stop posting, then come back later, etc. This is important, as any one person being constantly present will distort the conversation into only what that one person wants to talk about, which is probably not going to be what everyone else wants to talk about. In a real-life conversation, you can detect when this happens because people will visibly become less engaged, and may even just get up and leave when that person starts talking. In a virtual setting, there's none of those subtle cues, but on the flipside people are more willing to give blunt feedback when you do step over their boundaries.

tl;dr lurk more, observe how other people interact, try to imitate them. If people don't like your posting style, then shut up for a bit, try to reflect on the feedback they gave you, and see if there are changes you can make to be less aggravating.

Above all else, remember that if your presence is not welcome, you can always just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you're socially awkward learning how not to be the main character is an important skill, that can only be learned by not talking. Try not to post in the same thread, in the same conversation more then once or twice a day. It's ok to just read the posts and not contribute.