Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's such a great picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ogmius815 posted:

This is the first move of the offseason that actually makes the Mets better, as opposed to just more money for the same team, but older.

You could argue that Verlander does since he is likely to pitch more than deGrom

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Cool so it's just gonna be Tallion and the corpse of Cody Bellinger. That's loving awesome

If this is what the Cubs are going to be, I get the Bellinger signing but not Taillon at all. They should be signing guys on short deals that they can flip at the deadline or have inroads on extending if this is what the Cubs are going to be. And then like if dudes like Bellinger stink still it’s short term so no harm done.

But Taillon? Why would the Cubs sign a guy in his 30s to a four year deal who has already had two TJ surgeries? If you aren’t going to compete there’s cheaper and shorter contract vets if you want their stable presence for your young guys. And the Cubs are clearly not competing at the moment. You could actually flip other guys if they have a career year but not Taillon and he’s probably going to be worse if the Cubs actually get decent in his later contract years. And he’ll be too old to extend if somehow he does pan out for the whole contract. Taillon should be signed by a team like the Phillies, like how they signed Walker to be their stable fourth pitcher in the rotation, not a team like the Cubs.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 11, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I think the Cubs front office is trying to get guys to contend (they said as much) but are whiffing on everyone besides Tallion that they've tried to get so far. There's still Correa!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hand Row posted:

If this is what the Cubs are going to be, I get the Bellinger signing but not Taillon at all. They should be signing guys on short deals that they can flip at the deadline or have inroads on extending if this is what the Cubs are going to be. And then like if dudes like Bellinger stink still it’s short term so no harm done.

But Taillon? Why would the Cubs sign a guy in his 30s to a four year deal who has already had two TJ surgeries? If you aren’t going to compete there’s cheaper and shorter contract vets if you want their stable presence for your young guys. And the Cubs are clearly not competing at the moment. You could actually flip other guys if they have a career year but not Taillon and he’s probably going to be worse if the Cubs actually get decent in his later contract years. And he’ll be too old to extend if somehow he does pan out for the whole contract. Taillon should be signed by a team like the Phillies, like how they signed Walker to be their stable fourth pitcher in the rotation, not a team like the Cubs.

I think Taillon will be fine for the Cubs. He's a pretty solid 3-4 starter and he's been durable as a Yankee.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Nodoze posted:

You could argue that Verlander does since he is likely to pitch more than deGrom

On the other hand, Quintana is probably a downgrade from Chris Bassitt.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 11, 2022

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Ogmius815 posted:

On the other hand, Quintana is probably a downgrade from Chris Bassitt.

Quintana outpitched him last year but we'll see.

That deal could look like a genius move or like a bad gamble.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Mets should go truly all in and sign Correa, then move him to third like ARod

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ichiro good

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ichiro is so loving cool.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shine posted:

Ichiro is so loving cool.

this is a fact

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1602189383238647808

Hmm a new Rodon is here to replace the last Gausman.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

General Bullshit posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1602189383238647808

Hmm a new Rodon is here to replace the last Gausman.

It's a very Farhan move but he was a hot commodity just a year ago so I see the appeal.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's a very Farhan move but he was a hot commodity just a year ago so I see the appeal.

Yeah there were moments where Manaea looked brilliant and then he'd throw batting practice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's a good pick up, at worst he'll be a 4/5 starter but he has a lot of upside and for 2/25 it's definitely worth it,

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah 2/25 for the 4th or 5th spot is fine these days and if he does better, well, you got a winning lotto ticket for a year, and presumably have the edge on signing him to something longer term

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

That's a good pick up, at worst he'll be a 4/5 starter but he has a lot of upside and for 2/25 it's definitely worth it,

Eh, Manea put up -0.9 bWAR alongside an almost 5 ERA/4.50 FIP for the Padres this year in a non-insignificant sample, which is not a 4/5 floor: that's "banished to the bullpen" levels of bad. Giants are counting on a serious bounceback.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Eh, Manea put up -0.9 bWAR alongside an almost 5 ERA/4.50 FIP for the Padres this year in a non-insignificant sample, which is not a 4/5 floor: that's "banished to the bullpen" levels of bad. Giants are counting on a serious bounceback.

Yeah and his velo is down, but he pitched well for Oakland and it was never about velo for him. 2/25 isn't going to break the bank for the Giants and if he can regain some form it's a good gamble.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I agree it's a fine enough bounceback signing, I just disagree that "at worst" he'll give the Giants a 4/5 starter performance. The ceiling is still there but the floor is more of a guy who gets shifted to the pen after a couple months if he can't figure anything out to improve on his 2022.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Never been a big Manaea fan but whatever. You can never have enough pitching.

But if this is Zaidi bowing out of the Rodon bidding, that would suck.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
before we’re off Ichiro entirely, this is going round again and folks may not have seen it because he keeps so quiet about stuff

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1601707733119832065?s=46&t=YHfGsZMuoKlks15K5wt-JQ

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was that after the fire?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was that after the fire?

nope he was apparently just overwhelmed by a visit there especially of a barnstorming tour of Negro Leaguers (including a very young Hank Aaron) to Japan among other places

https://joeposnanski.substack.com/p/the-gift-of-ichiro

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/JulianGuilarte1/status/1602287347906887681

What else does the Islanders former Goalie know that the NY Media does not?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 12, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

davecrazy posted:

https://twitter.com/JulianGuilarte1/status/1602287347906887681

What else does the Islanders former Goalie know that the NY Media does not?

Hal is going to take that contract after paying Judge 40mm? I don't buy it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Does friggin Rick Dipietro normally break Yankees moves???

Also Rick Dipietro looks like a real estate agent in Regina Saskatchewan now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Hal is going to take that contract after paying Judge 40mm? I don't buy it.

Buried in the replies is this gem

https://twitter.com/Bnews365Ml/status/1600646184531533826

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

stanton/tatis swap lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm honestly not surprised if the Padres want to deal Tatis. They seemed genuinely fed up with him last season.

However they'll lose that trade cause you always lose the trade when you deal your 24 year old stud SS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not as long as he's addicted to ruff ryding

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

stanton/tatis swap lol

No you see this is a great move for the Padres. They Need Outfielders.

I can't imagine Tatis in the Yankee media sphere. They'd hate him so much.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

It was speculated months ago during the season they might sign one of the big SS free agents and get rid of Tatis because they were tired of his act.

It's definitely selling low, but trading him frees up room to bring in someone they actually want around

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would joke about Tatis for Pena with the Padres eating half the money but I love Pena so even though Tatis is objectively a much better player, nah

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lol The padres aren't doing this.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Does friggin Rick Dipietro normally break Yankees moves???

Also Rick Dipietro looks like a real estate agent in Regina Saskatchewan now.

Wait, Rick Dipietro's twitter name is a Humpty Dumpty joke? That's pretty good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1601401906550931459

Is Bloom a Yankee plant?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
YankeesTwitter has informed me that trading for Tatis will cost much less than trading for Soto would have because Soto didn't have a contract yet.

Apparently, it's much more valuable to trade for 2 Soto arb years at approximately $28m AAV than it is to trade for the age 24-35 seasons of a 6 WAR shortstop at a hair over $26m AAV. Not many teams can afford to take on the, er, 22nd highest AAV in baseball (comparing Tati's remaining years vs the total AAV of other deals)

I look forward to a decade of hearing about how Tatis is a worthless player who should be cut and also can anchor a package of 26yo AAAA pitchers for whoever the most desirable player on the market is each year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Honestly, if Tatis is available I have 0 clue how AA doesn't throw anything and everything at San Diego to get him to Atlanta. He's the perfect AA trade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The only player with that level of contract left that has been traded that I can think of is Stanton/Arod and they both basically cost nothing lol. I honestly have no idea what they would get for Tatis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

YankeesTwitter has informed me that trading for Tatis will cost much less than trading for Soto would have because Soto didn't have a contract yet.

Apparently, it's much more valuable to trade for 2 Soto arb years at approximately $28m AAV than it is to trade for the age 24-35 seasons of a 6 WAR shortstop at a hair over $26m AAV. Not many teams can afford to take on the, er, 22nd highest AAV in baseball (comparing Tati's remaining years vs the total AAV of other deals)

I look forward to a decade of hearing about how Tatis is a worthless player who should be cut and also can anchor a package of 26yo AAAA pitchers for whoever the most desirable player on the market is each year.

Trading for Tatis and Soto are different because Soto wasn't coming off of a PED suspension and an injury. Tatis did not play at all last year. Tatis is basically at the bottom of his value as a trade piece even if he is a good player because there are some question marks on him now

e: That doesn't mean I am saying he gets traded for a bag of balls and nothing else either though