Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

is there a guide as to how i can tap the river for fresh water? i've made floodgates but i have no idea how to actually use them.

also i see people talking about aquifers but i have no idea what those actually are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

The new werebeast sprites are fun, some are pretty heavily stylised compared to their mundane counterparts and have a great variety of sizes and shapes.

Now you will know why you fear the night. (This is maybe a third of them?)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cheers Cup + Arrath, I'll look at that when I crack open the game tonight.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 12, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

You CAN sort the list either alphabetically, or by profession.

The regular unit list yes, the squad assignment list no (I don't think? If there is a way I don't see it.) I've begun tagging my dwarfs with their military role so it's easier to find them and put them in squads

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

pisshead posted:

1. Yes. I've made plenty of stairs successfully before. Now all of a sudden the bottom one doesn't appear.
2. Thanks, I'll look into that.

I found out what it was, you can't build stairs into an open space, only into rock. And if you try, you can't get rid of the half part of the stairs.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Why on earth does scroll wheel go in different directions for Z movement vs zoom, and why do modifier keys not show in the bindings list?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey y'all I've queued everyone before now for tags. To reiterate:
Post a fun story from your fort in the thread and please say that you want a tag, and one of us will queue it up for the admins to action.
We'll be giving these out until, basically, I go to bed tomorrow evening, a week after the game's release. Sometimes it takes a bit for an admin to action all the queued requests so don't worry if it doesn't happen. That said if it gets to like, Friday, and you think you should have had a tag and you don't, I might have missed your post, in which case send me one (1) PM linking me to your story and reminding me about the tag, and I'll sort it when I get time.
You have all been excellent about this so far and you are all right by me, even that one poster who murdered that innocent ettin while it cried. Even that poster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

is there a guide as to how i can tap the river for fresh water? i've made floodgates but i have no idea how to actually use them.

also i see people talking about aquifers but i have no idea what those actually are

An aquifer is a real life thing, a layer of water under the ground. Have a care how you dig into one because they can lead to water *absolutely everywhere*.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

:catdrugs:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The new work order system is great.

But it works a little too well if you forget a condition or two...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I forsee a lot of weapon traps and a lot of severed limbs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Splash Attack posted:

I like to use a screw pump to fill a channel that goes down into the base, so I can at least stop the water coming and have a buffer. You can hook a water wheel to it and don’t have to use dwarf labor for it either

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
"a kea has stolen dolomite blocks"

By Armok, that's a strong bird.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Popete posted:

I think at some point I'll set the max population cap to ~50 for a future fort.

Microforts own, it's a great way to keep performance manageable and even more importantly allow for personal attention to each inhabitant of your fort. I sometimes go as low as 20, since it takes about 10 dwarves to cover each form of skilled / quality-dependent labor without too much overlap and then another 10 to act as haulers and highly skilled militia.

If you do this it's also wise to adjust the requirements for invasions and so on in the raws so that they still happen (since most of them have mandatory minimum population requirements) while also toning down the number of enemies that show up so your 10 guys aren't up against 80 goblins and 40 trolls or w/e.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

You CAN sort the list either alphabetically, or by profession.

How? I am talking about the "assign dwarf to squad" menu. Can't find a button to sort it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
edit: nm I figured it out.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
My children are miserable. Maybe it's because their friends keep climbing trees and dying of dehydration, and then coming back to haunt them. Or maybe it's because they're my primary corpse-haulers, lugging chunks of their family and neighbors across to the bone pit. I dunno! The bone pit seems to be a frequent hangout for some kids, the others post up in my mayors office. Idk why, both groups are equally troubled youths. I completely removed their daily chores order and made some rock toys in the hopes that they'd stop being so depressed but they keep getting into fistfights, and I'm no child psychologist. Anything I can do to help these miserable bastards? For example Atir here seems to be having a pretty good day outside of some normal trauma:

A lot of my adult dwarves bad moods seem to be stemming from being unable to do their crafts and stuff, but I'm not sure about a good way to ensure those guys get time in the workshop over every other dwarf without directly assigning them to a workshop as a master, which seems like a lot of work. I feel like in order to crush some of my worst moods I'd have to reference each dwarves sheet to see who's upset at not doing martial arts, who's upset at not being creative, who's upset at not crafting recently, and assigning them to military, crafts, or whatever. Is this the right way to think about this stuff, or should my dwarves conceivably take care of their own moods if provided a good tavern and church?

Also ran into this freak at my farmers guild

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Friend posted:

This seems like a stupid question but how can I clear these random plants out of the way to make a cavern farm? Or have I completely misunderstood the approach of cavern farming

You can build a dirt road first. As far as I can tell dirt roads just clear plants and don't leave an actual "building" so it'll just be a nice empty space for your farm plot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

patch just dropped and you can now mass select material when making a building

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a list of common suggested standing work orders? I usually have bins/barrels triggering on low empty bins/barrels. Basic furniture is kept at a minimum stock level. Meals/drink are gimmes. After that some of the orders to automate multistep processes (ash/coal related byproducts for instance) seem to get complicated. There's probably stuff I haven't thought to do and probably things I've done that are horrible.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

My fortress keeps dehydrating to death.
I had set up some clean water sources and designated them, but I think the distance was an issue since we dug so deep.

My main problem is the drat still! I'll have a designated worker and after a while they just gently caress off and never come back. Is it a seed storage issue?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ibexaz posted:

A lot of my adult dwarves bad moods seem to be stemming from being unable to do their crafts and stuff, but I'm not sure about a good way to ensure those guys get time in the workshop over every other dwarf without directly assigning them to a workshop as a master, which seems like a lot of work. I feel like in order to crush some of my worst moods I'd have to reference each dwarves sheet to see who's upset at not doing martial arts, who's upset at not being creative, who's upset at not crafting recently, and assigning them to military, crafts, or whatever. Is this the right way to think about this stuff, or should my dwarves conceivably take care of their own moods if provided a good tavern and church?
You could make a bunch of craft workshops somewhere and make some big bullshit order for crafts? If you want to be more sustainable and have magma, do it with metal forging so you can melt down the crap later.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can micromanage each dwarf's needs and try to meet them all, or you can just throw lots of sources of happy thoughts at the problem

i personally try to evaluate a dwarf's personality and desires when i am assigning them a specialized role to try to give them a role that will hit as many needs as possible and which they will be good at, and i pay attention to legendary dwarves once they hit that status and try to give them objects they like and stuff like that. but if you're just a kid or a hauler then whatever sort your own life out imo, i'll make the fort look nice and provide taverns/temples/guildhalls but giving every dwarf that kind of individual attention is extremely time-consuming, obviously.

one thing you can do pretty easily is assign dwarves with martial needs to a "national guard" squad with a weekend warrior schedule where they train every once in a while. it's not too big of a productivity drain usually and developing fighting skills does improve a dwarf's abilities at basically everything else too so it's overall beneficial

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I may have earned a gang-tag, although I'm no great storyteller.

After a few uneventful years, my cage traps caught the first four undead easily, leaving a single shambling goblin hammerer. Being unprepared, I threw sixteen poorly armed untrained dwarves at it. Dwarven teeth peppered the manicured lawn of my enclosure. Pickaxes mined unyielding flesh, axes bit uselessly into copper armor. The poster describing undead as terminator-like weren't wrong. The legends tell me the remaining dogs and infirm starved to death. So it goes.

I have learned.
A new fortress in more than name has now been established. Perched next to a dizzying waterfall is a new settlement. This time there'll be more traps and more hammers. I needn't worry about being flanked; it's an excellent defensible position, as long as my dwarves don't wrestle one another off the loving cliff.

What happens if you throw undead off twenty z levels into pools of water?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A visiting baron got killed by a mountain titan and dropped the symbol of his barony, a artifact short sword:

I assigned it to one of my swords dwarfs but I noticed a couple years later he wasn't using it at training, it turns out that barony has a new baroness and she collected it while visiting one of my temples :mad:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The Demilich posted:

My fortress keeps dehydrating to death.
I had set up some clean water sources and designated them, but I think the distance was an issue since we dug so deep.

My main problem is the drat still! I'll have a designated worker and after a while they just gently caress off and never come back. Is it a seed storage issue?

Did you have a well?

I had three stills going at once and still couldn’t keep up with need. It turned out my seeds were in a barrel inside a bag and I guess they’d been storing them there but not taking them out so my farms weren’t really going.

I’m also moving my farming like 10 levels deep because it’s already muddy from an unfortunate flood involving me switching the wrong lever. I guess the clay or whatever soil sucks now because it’s listed as “bad” and I’ve never fertilized.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

pisshead posted:

I found out what it was, you can't build stairs into an open space, only into rock. And if you try, you can't get rid of the half part of the stairs.

I keep seeing this come up, but you can build stairs in an open space. It is under Constructions (b > n > t)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

A visiting baron got killed by a mountain titan and dropped the symbol of his barony, a artifact short sword:

I assigned it to one of my swords dwarfs but I noticed a couple years later he wasn't using it at training, it turns out that barony has a new baroness and she collected it while visiting one of my temples :mad:

fuckin rich people

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why yes, I'd love three fell moods in a row, sending my fort into a tantrum spiral and ending up with 8 dorfs left. :ignorance:

Dante posted:

Do you still need dfhacks and other external tools to make management painfree, or is the new GUI good enough to handle all that stuff now?
You've never needed DFhack, and anyone who says otherwise hasn't played the game enough.

The game is incredibly obtuse, but you can learn by Fun the entire way through it.

Kvlt! posted:

Overall im enjoying DF more than RW by far, but it could desperately benefit from being able to directly control a dwarfs action. Like being able to right click and say "DO XYZ" rather tham having to hunt thru menus trying to get them to do something. I know that takes away from the simulation aspect but hopefully there will be a mod.
I think you might be playing the wrong game, if you want Rimworld but with a different tileset.

Have you ever played Populous, or another god-game where you have no direct control?
Not a whole lot of god-games get what made Populous great, because it's basically the original simulation game to not let you have direct control - Dwarf Fortress is one of the few that get it right.
Another thing that sets Dwarf Fortress apart is that each tile is an 4X game, and there's a simulation of many thousands of 4X games happening around you, affecting your game.

If that's not what you want, that's fine - but dorfs are their own beings with their own thoughts and you're just some super-dimentional being who they'll sometimes blame (try putting a dorf under a bridge and have them pull the lever to lower it, or invent some other way where the only way the dorf could die is through direct player action).

nielsm posted:

I'm just waiting for the Adventure Mode feature where you can do anything as adventurer that a dwarf can do.
I want to build a fortress by my very own hands!
Adventurer mode is a roguelike in a world the size of New Zealand (at least the default map size is about that big), though - but yes, it's at least as much Fun as Fortress mode is, and I look forward to it too.

FileNotFound posted:

Yeah - I actually kinda have a love/hate relationship werebeasts and vampires - I just couldn't keep track of the biters in the steam release at all and essentially ragequit after failing 4 months in a row to get my infection under control.

So yeah, aware that I could turn them off but rather just wait for a better logging.
What do you mean you couldn't keep track of vampires? Their visuals alone give them away in the Steam release, to the point that it's too obvious when one joins.

Snooze Cruise posted:

good news everyone, the hella yuri curator has added DF to their list

You can have lesbian polyamories since dorfs can have multiple partners.

I want a metal cover of that song.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 12, 2022

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Friend posted:

I keep seeing this come up, but you can build stairs in an open space. It is under Constructions (b > n > t)

Yeah the game still has plenty of quirks from the ascii days. It's like 75% of the way to being a great UI.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just noticed the thing in the top right of the menu background

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Well my last fortress, furnaceshadows, came to an end after unleashing a blind devil from magma pocket (but I did find an artifact sword in the same pocket, so swings and roundabouts and all that).

It started slaughtering the large number of children playing in the depths of the fortress. I will have to see if I can limit a zone so children aren't running around the most dangerous areas (but then if they don't, maybe they will grow up into coddled little elves).

It seems a baby drowned when the parent who was carrying it while mining drowned after the devil killed them over shallow water.

Next time I will have fewer entertainers and more (any) fighters.

And I will have a separate, gated staircase for my greedy delving.

"Snatcher! Protect the children!" It's too late. Maybe the goblins can give them a better life.

If that's worth a gangtag I'll take one.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
So I've been trying to use stockpile links to set up a workflow: a particular stone -> stone crafting -> stone furniture stockpile -> jewellers -> encrusted furniture stockpile. The problem is, I can't set up the final stockpile to keep other items out. I've set it linked so that the jeweller's shop outputs to the stockpile, and whether the circled box is toggled on or not, dwarves move stuff in there from anywhere.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

dumbass snakeman losers invaded my caverns and then got stuck in a tree and now all they can do is try to scare haulers trying clean up logs in the area

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sane brain: ultimately the fort is a little messy but it's functional and stable and you spent a lot of time managing stockpiles and work orders

Demon that lives in my head and has caused me to play the first two hours of oxygen not included 75 times: delete the world, make a new one, do it right this time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pisshead posted:

Yeah the game still has plenty of quirks from the ascii days. It's like 75% of the way to being a great UI.

> A bigger window for burrow/squad assignments
> Ability to sort that window
> A 'select all' button for burrow assignment
> Categorize work orders by workshop, let you collapse and expand them cause it gets unwieldy after a while.
> And yeah the building/mining stairs problem

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grei Skuring posted:

I may have earned a gang-tag, although I'm no great storyteller.

After a few uneventful years, my cage traps caught the first four undead easily, leaving a single shambling goblin hammerer. Being unprepared, I threw sixteen poorly armed untrained dwarves at it. Dwarven teeth peppered the manicured lawn of my enclosure. Pickaxes mined unyielding flesh, axes bit uselessly into copper armor. The poster describing undead as terminator-like weren't wrong. The legends tell me the remaining dogs and infirm starved to death. So it goes.

I have learned.
A new fortress in more than name has now been established. Perched next to a dizzying waterfall is a new settlement. This time there'll be more traps and more hammers. I needn't worry about being flanked; it's an excellent defensible position, as long as my dwarves don't wrestle one another off the loving cliff.

What happens if you throw undead off twenty z levels into pools of water?

Always start with a macedwarf on embark. Good investment. Kills undead real good.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

How? I am talking about the "assign dwarf to squad" menu. Can't find a button to sort it.

Nevermind I lied.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

This is how I did it:

1. Dig a tunnel here on the same level as the river (not the same level as the ground above the river, you should be able to see the 7 numbers). Then get your dwarf out of the tunnel.
2. Go to one level above the river (you can't see the 7s anymore), dig a channel to connect your tunnel and the river.
3. The water will slowly fill the tunnel (the ground will soak some of it up).
4. Dig a channel from the level above your water tunnel right above it, leaving a space. Build a well on this space. Dwarves can then use the well.
5. The same method can be used to turn your underground rooms muddy for farmland. Use floodgates to allow just enough water to cover the ground (you only need 1-2 water depth), then cut off the water with the floodgates, the water will soak in and you have some mud you can use for farming.
6. To use a floodgate, make one floodgate, then three mechanisms. Use one mechanism to make a lever, then click on it and click on 'link lever' to connect it to the floodgate (this will use the other two mechanisms). Then you can click on the lever to open or close the gate.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a difference between the Work Detail (Planter) and the Work Detail (Farming (Fields))?

As well, do either of them interact with "Everyone harvests"?