Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ultimate Mango posted:

So True Polymorph was Caleb’s 9th level, right?

I don't think he said but yeah, that's probably the only thing that could turn him into a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I thought he said it was Shapechange?

Edit: either way yeah it's a 9th level spell.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I can't believe Jester is the greatest healer who's ever lived.

Also hey it was Shapechange after all!

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 2, 2022

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I've lost count of how many times Beau has been swallowed at this point

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

For the beginning of the episode, how was no one Lance from Pokemon?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Did so many fewer people really watch this than the finale of C1 or most of C2? It was pretty good but at one point it was like 17k viewers on twitch. Sad

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I know I personally can never watch them live (timezones), but even then I found it very hard as a concept to go back to the M9 after their story ended. I also had similar feelings about revisiting VM for the one-shots. Aside from the fanservice/nostalgia aspect (which is a valid thing to do, more or less), that’s not the way my brain processes stories. I don’t know how to best explain it, but I could feel active pushback at the thought of watching.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 3, 2022

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Antitonic posted:

I know I personally can never watch them live (timezones), but even then I found it very hard as a concept to go back to the M9 after their story ended. I also had similar feelings about revisiting VM for the one-shots. Aside from the fanservice/nostalgia aspect (which is a valid thing to do, more or less), that’s not the way my brain processes stories. I don’t know how to best explain it, but I could feel active pushback at the thought of watching.

I definitely had this for the VM specials, there didn't feel like there was a lot of loose ends at all. With the M9 however, it feels quite different for me. Apart from Ukatoa, I feel like there are several other hooks to take up. This special being given a bit more time to breathe helps out as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I liked seeing them with 9th level spells. I would not want more of that than we got. Matt would go crazy making encounters that would be a real challenge.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Did so many fewer people really watch this than the finale of C1 or most of C2? It was pretty good but at one point it was like 17k viewers on twitch. Sad
IIRC one-shots and the like typically see a lot fewer viewers.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man, ive noticed this really annoying thing with tal so far up to ep 22 in C3, he never shares his plans or anything hes doing and its annoying, and now the cast is picking up on it too and calling him out a bit lol. It's always like, ill tell you later, or i'm adding this damage because of the thing, or like he's trying to set up a plan to make sure nobody goes into their inn rooms but doesnt say anything, just oh hey i need something small that cant roll and everyone is like, ok but what for, and he just doesnt elaborate at all.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It's because he's dusk

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

After discovering marisharaygun on YouTube the need to watch full episodes has evaporated for me.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
shout-out to all my homies trying to follow the plot based on clip compilations and animatics alone

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

It's because he's dusk

Resurrected Larkin.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rocketrobot posted:

Resurrected Larkin.
:hmmyes:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

After discovering marisharaygun on YouTube the need to watch full episodes has evaporated for me.
As the parent of a two-year-old, indeed MarishaRayGun is an excellent recap channel but I still like watching the full episodes when possible. Part of it for me know depends on how the day has gone and if I know what the length of the episode will be beforehand.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Antitonic posted:

Agreed but I also know from looking at comments and discussions that the Ukatoa stuff was not the most popular aspect of C2. It has people who enjoy it and there are memorable parts, but some parts of the arc are just long stretches of boat time which if you're not into, you're not into. It also just kept poking its head into the story with no real payoff for the time spent on it. I know that the only part of C2 I skipped was the second time they went to the ocean floor.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

Agreed but I also know from looking at comments and discussions that the Ukatoa stuff was not the most popular aspect of C2. It has people who enjoy it and there are memorable parts, but some parts of the arc are just long stretches of boat time which if you're not into, you're not into. It also just kept poking its head into the story with no real payoff for the time spent on it. I know that the only part of C2 I skipped was the second time they went to the ocean floor.

yeah i didn't mind that so much but the most recent episode as nearly all-combat is very old news to me at this point, didn't feel compelled to watch most of it.

i wish matt would expand his definition of what's an exciting, high-stakes challenge for a party a little bit more. obv combat is part of dnd but you can have big stakes and exciting important choices without spending literally five hours in combat

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
And as a DM, I don't envy Matt. High-level 5e is enough of a power scaling nightmare as it is that I can't imagine trying to DM it for a seven to eight player group. I'm impressed that he can pull it off as well as he does.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The thing i find frustrating with matts combat is hes largely stopped doing multiple enemy encounters for bosses or higher xp fights.

That and the fact that he almost certainly fudges rez rolls

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I switched to Pathfinder 2e and the one thing I absolutely cannot stop gushing about is how, when you follow the encounter balancing rules, you actually get an encounter of that difficulty. Deadly for seven players, moderate for two, doesn't matter, it just works, whereas when I DM'd 5e I never had any real idea what would play out.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

That and the fact that he almost certainly fudges rez rolls

I don't mind if that was the case for Laudna, because she's partially undead anyways, the party did a whole quest to resurrect her, and Marisha clearly wasn't done with the character. That's a situation where you read the room (unless you're the cold impassive arbiter type of DM).

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Even with more forgiving house rules and a crap ton of magic items in their arsenal, Matt still managed to beat the poo poo out of VM even at max level. I much prefer the spectacle and scale of high levels, shame we rarely get to see them.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Casting info for TLOVM season 2 has some fun tidbits
Henry Winkler, Lance Reddick and Cheech Marin will guest star in the second season of the Dungeons & Dragons-inspired adult animated series. Additional guest cast for Season 2 includes Will Friedle (“Boy Meets World”), Billy Boyd (“The Lord of the Rings”), Cree Summer (“Rugrats,” “The Patrick Star Show”), Alanna Ubach (“Euphoria”), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (“Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence”), Troy Baker (“The Last of Us”), Sendhil Ramamurthy (“Heroes”) and Ralph Ineson (“The Witch”).

Apart from the very two obvious names of who they'll be playing (and excited to have them confirmed) who do you think the other will be?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I hope Will Friedle voices Victor, just to gently caress with everyone

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I'm assuming most of them will be dragons, but I wonder if Kerreck will show up in S2. He was a huge part of Keyleth's growth, so I can't imagine they would cut him.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The Repo Man posted:

I'm assuming most of them will be dragons, but I wonder if Kerreck will show up in S2. He was a huge part of Keyleth's growth, so I can't imagine they would cut him.

I kinda wonder if thats one they'd try and get the original actor for if they kept them in

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

:frogsiren: Campaign 3 Episode 41 is airing right now! This marks the end of untagged C2 spoilers, please use spoiler tags once more!!!! :frogsiren:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
DORIAN CALL

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fearne tripping balls. I hope this goes all episode.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

All this weretalk and no love for the wereflumphs!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A were-stag would kinda own to be honest

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cheston posted:

I switched to Pathfinder 2e and the one thing I absolutely cannot stop gushing about is how, when you follow the encounter balancing rules, you actually get an encounter of that difficulty. Deadly for seven players, moderate for two, doesn't matter, it just works, whereas when I DM'd 5e I never had any real idea what would play out.
I'm not really an active TRPG player at this point, but just on the face of it, it really seems like the only way you can be absolutely mathematically sure that an encounter is very-moderately-barely challenging is if there's really no room for creative or braindead tactics or builds on the part of the players.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So did Chet pass or fail the test from the last episode? It seems like maybe not but maybe it didn’t matter at all?

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Watching the Might Nine reunion made me realize how much I loved them.

I like Bell's Hells, but I'm kind of feeling fatigue at the current campaign. I'm finding that I'm still not feeling an attachment to them the same way as with previous groups.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Watching the Might Nine reunion made me realize how much I loved them.

I like Bell's Hells, but I'm kind of feeling fatigue at the current campaign. I'm finding that I'm still not feeling an attachment to them the same way as with previous groups.

I like Laudna and Chetney a lot. FCG is cool and well executed. But, I'm finding it hard to like them or appreciate what they bring to the game for some reason.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYBdB-nNxU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1602404265858719744

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

https://hard-drive.net/matt-mercer-spends-45-minutes-describing-sandwich-smell-to-waiter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Sounds fake, no mention of a toothy maw.