Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gohuskies posted:

I've ridden more than 5k of continuous climbing (from Port Angeles to Hurricane Ridge in WA, you start with your wheel in the Pacific Ocean and ride uphill to about 5300') but there are plenty bigger. There are a couple climbs on the Hawaiian volcanoes that have more than 9k of continuous climbing. https://www.tourofcalifornia.org/2008/01/top-bike-climbs-in-america.html
Yeah that's the biggest continuous climb I've done too. It's certainly lumpy where I live but slim pickings for long sustained climbs. Because of COVID I haven't been over to Port Angeles in a while, but I should get over there this July to do the climb, always a fun day on the bike when a bunch of roadies from Victoria head over on Canada Day. One year we even gave ourselves enough time to ride around the surrounding, pretty nice place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Residency Evil posted:

Good to know. I rode from Bergen park to echo lake back in October before it got cold. Is there another good way from evergreen?

That’s how I’ve done it. You can meander up Witter Gulch Road from Evergreen as well, but it’s basically the same. If you want steep dirt from Idaho Springs, you can ride up Little Bear Creek Road, but they both spit you out on to the same route to Echo. I think starting at Bergen Park is the best way to do it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

Yeah that's the biggest continuous climb I've done too. It's certainly lumpy where I live but slim pickings for long sustained climbs. Because of COVID I haven't been over to Port Angeles in a while, but I should get over there this July to do the climb, always a fun day on the bike when a bunch of roadies from Victoria head over on Canada Day. One year we even gave ourselves enough time to ride around the surrounding, pretty nice place.

https://ridethehurricane.org/

dedicated event that closes the road down for a whole morning, august 6, 2023

if you end up wanting to do it i next year i'm down to join ya (although you'll definitely beat me to the top)

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

numberoneposter posted:

If you do it on a gravel bike, you can continue from Hurricane Ridge on to Obstruction Point on the dirt road. Kind of nice to get away from the crowds and get a different view.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ilkhan posted:

7k as a single climb would be literally insane.

I'll look into that fb group.

The plan is FoCo fondo (33mi) + tour of the moon (45'ish) for 2023, then longer FoCo and the shorter Salida (76km instead of miles) for '24, then FoCo 100mi and the full Salida for '25. Salida before I turn 40 would be the main goal. FoCo would be for fun. Would probably throw steamboat gravel in there at some point, and mix in some other events. Could probably get there quicker, but this meets my goals and will keep me interested for longer.

Wife isn't a cyclist really, but we're getting her a treadmill so she can train towards a half marathon (for late '23 probably). We've both put on significant weight since settling down and want to get back in shape.

I think I'm gonna do either the 32 or the 53 mile FoCo Fondo in 2023. Hopefully 53, but I'll have to actually train for it a little. Some of the local groups do training rides in the winter in spring on the routes in whole or part.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

BraveUlysses posted:

https://ridethehurricane.org/

dedicated event that closes the road down for a whole morning, august 6, 2023

if you end up wanting to do it i next year i'm down to join ya (although you'll definitely beat me to the top)

goon meet at this event, I’ve done it four years running. this past year I went sea to summit, back to the park entrance, and back to the top- which gives you a bit more than 10k of climbing

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

If you want steep dirt from Idaho Springs, you can ride up Little Bear Creek Road, but they both spit you out on to the same route to Echo.

That's a pretty climb. I like it. Saw a fox with a rodent in its mouth last time I was out there.

Don't recall it being steep, but I was on a gravel bike.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

e.pilot posted:

still want to shuttle the barr trail next summer with you guys :hmmyes:

Hey, me too!!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any pannier suggestions? I have some bontrager rack with a MIK connection on top, and normal rack stuff on the sides. This is on a road bike.

Basically two needs:
1 - I commute into work on my bike most days (but sometimes by train), and I think I'd like to basically get one which converts into a backpack or messenger bag/which fits a 13" laptop. Currently I don't really have a semi-professional backpack, I've just been using a hiking backpack, but that is obvs not ideal for trying to stick on back of a bike every morning.

2 - I would also like to use it for more groceries/errands to really cut out cars. Should I just get another pannier which is more grocery bag shaped to stick on the other side? Would that feel super imbalanced? I haven't really ridden with panniers before and am not sure if I should just plan on having one bag for commuting, then two different panniers just for everything else, or if that is way overthinking things.

(All this would, I think, be on top of just sticking a milk crate or MIK compatible top bag on the rack).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw I have symmetrical saddlebags but I often load one side with 6L of mineral water while the other side just has a rain coat and I have never noticed any kind of imbalance or handling asymmetry.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
When grocery shopping I do like slavvy and load the hell out of one side. It isn’t a problem with the exception of my kickstand being overwhelmed this one time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a patagonian cavy posted:

goon meet at this event, I’ve done it four years running. this past year I went sea to summit, back to the park entrance, and back to the top- which gives you a bit more than 10k of climbing
i have subscribed to their newsletter

now to lose the 10 extra lbs i gained by slacking this summer

on the bright side it turns out that riding my bike and cutting out beer is an alarmingly good way to lose weight

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tildes posted:

Any pannier suggestions? I have some bontrager rack with a MIK connection on top, and normal rack stuff on the sides. This is on a road bike.

Basically two needs:
1 - I commute into work on my bike most days (but sometimes by train), and I think I'd like to basically get one which converts into a backpack or messenger bag/which fits a 13" laptop. Currently I don't really have a semi-professional backpack, I've just been using a hiking backpack, but that is obvs not ideal for trying to stick on back of a bike every morning.

2 - I would also like to use it for more groceries/errands to really cut out cars. Should I just get another pannier which is more grocery bag shaped to stick on the other side? Would that feel super imbalanced? I haven't really ridden with panniers before and am not sure if I should just plan on having one bag for commuting, then two different panniers just for everything else, or if that is way overthinking things.

(All this would, I think, be on top of just sticking a milk crate or MIK compatible top bag on the rack).
Panniers hold the weight pretty low so you don’t really notice imbalances unless you try no-handing.
Get a pair of whatever ortliebs fit your purpose.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Thanks to your guys' encouragement, I went out on a Group C ride last week and it was great. A little slow, a little too long at the coffee break so I decided to join this week's Group B ride and holy poo poo was that fun. Fast, strong riders and a much tighter paceline, which was FANTASTIC. I can't believe I've missed out on riding in fast, competitive rides like this for so long.

I think I'm going to sell my gravel bike + SRAM XPLR 1x10 10-44T and consider a dedicated road bike, I think the jumps are too high for road centric riding like I think i want to do now..

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Just get two bikes?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

osker posted:

Just get two bikes?

At least.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you don't have to take a second to mentally count up how many bikes you own, you don't own enough.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had to ride ~25km to pick up a parcel due to some logistics gently caress up

I did not have access to the car, but I did a once over on everything, prepared myself appropriately and set off

No records for speed but I really enjoyed myself

This was a notable landmark on the ride and a general mood , lots of variety through, some national parklands, industrial zones, city centre

A nice tour of my city, and bench mark for real limit of my bicycle

dema
Aug 13, 2006

adnam posted:

I think I'm going to sell my gravel bike + SRAM XPLR 1x10 10-44T and consider a dedicated road bike, I think the jumps are too high for road centric riding like I think i want to do now..

Yeah, it's the worst to not being able to sit at your idea cadence while on the rivet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

adnam posted:

SRAM XPLR 1x10 10-44T

Isn't that 12spd only?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

adnam posted:

Sounds like a good plan, given your goals just in case you need any encouragement to get a new bike

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't that 12spd only?

yes, I was wrong, it's a 1x12 aka just 12spd

dema posted:

Yeah, it's the worst to not being able to sit at your idea cadence while on the rivet.

I noticed during the peloton that I was having to shift more frequently than the other guys to stay in the paceline appropriately. Reading all your replies, it might be NBD sometime pretty soon, lol. I've gotten pretty used to this electronic shifting which was pretty clutch honestly

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Meanwhile I'm over here strongly considering going 48x10-44 with XPLR on a dedicated road race bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here strongly considering going 48x10-44 with XPLR on a dedicated road race bike.

Is Tyler in the room with you right now

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Same. Want to build like a caad13 with 1x12 axs, nice wheels, 32mm tires for all the dirt you tend to wind up on road riding around here. But then another part of me is like "what about a madone though?" And another part of me says "lets go ride mountain bikes instead"

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

TobinHatesYou posted:

I put the 10-44 XPLR cassette on my 2x12 rival axs group set with the 46-33 chainrings. Using the garbauk pulleys and cage I got it to shift smoothly.

Adman:
The 10-44 has ok tooth jumps for the top 8 speeds, which is where you live when on road. I think your front chainring going up to 44 or 46 gets you to a road gearing range so you’re not spinning out.

Jamal:
Let’s all get XC bikes????

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I did happen to just finish building my new xc bike

be nice if it wasn't winter. bike showed up complete at the beginning of september and then i stripped it to the frame to put on the stuff i wanted and just got to this point like two weeks ago. It still needs different handlebars but that trek one piece bar/stem deal is out of stock. Also i put the saddle i got for it on my trainer bike.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 19, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's awesome, what is going on where the seat-stay hits the top tube?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

I've been rolling with a 42x10-44 XPLR on my winter bike, and while it's fine for group rides, I'm not sold for a pure race bike.

I really dislike the jump from 11 to 13 in particular. Granted, with a 48 you won't be in the 11 as much, but I think it'd be annoying.

For my weight and local terrain, I'd be pretty annoyed with a 48x44 as the easy gear unless it was truly a 100% race-only bike, and having to change the chain plus chainring to get better range is a bigger annoyance than just swapping on a set of training wheels with an easier cassette.
All that may be a non-issue for you though. :)

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Why is it more acceptable to have big gearing gaps on mtbs compared to road bikes? Because you're out of the saddle more and therefore not worried about hitting and maintaining an ideal cadence?

If that's it, then why is that not an issue with gravel bikes? Isn't most of what people call "gravel" more similar to riding on paved roads than mountain biking on singletrack or modern, machine-made trails with features everywhere? Are some people just overdoing it with the 1x thing cuz it's cool and yaddayadda like with fixies?

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 19, 2022

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Gravel is a huge range, and a big reason why a lot of gravel bikes are available in both 1x and 2x. Depends on what you plan to ride.

1x is better for downhill/single-track where your chain is bouncing around more. 2x gives you wider range and smaller gaps, but more potential for the chain to drop if it bounces around enough.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2022

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

marshalljim posted:

Why is it more acceptable to have big gearing gaps on mtbs compared to road bikes? Because you're out of the saddle more and therefore not worried about hitting and maintaining an ideal cadence?

If that's it, then why is that not an issue with gravel bikes? Isn't most of what people call "gravel" more similar to riding on paved roads than mountain biking on singletrack or modern, machine-made trails with features everywhere? Are some people just overdoing it with the 1x thing cuz it's cool and yaddayadda like with fixies?

I think there just isn't enough room back there to keep it smooth the whole way through. The fastest 5 gears on mine (11T, 13T, 15T, 17T, 19T) are the same size as a road cassette but after that the jumps get bigger because it has to reach 50T on the slow end.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

That's awesome, what is going on where the seat-stay hits the top tube?

"Iso speed." The top tube/seatstay are attached to the seattube with a pivot point to apparently give it all some flex. Trek does this or something similar on a lot of their bikes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shimano rotors...do the rotors actually differ in design with internal vs external lockrings? i think my bike uses external lockrings but the internal lockrings models seem to be in stock

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

shimano rotors...do the rotors actually differ in design with internal vs external lockrings? i think i need external lockrings

Rotors don't care which lockrings you use.

Hubs and forks might care. Some (especially front) hub endcaps are too thicc and won't accept the cassette lockring tool. Some road fork flat-mounts are poorly designed and interfere with externally notched lockrings.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

marshalljim posted:

It's because you're not riding in a peloton on mtbs.

In a group, even a half a mph difference in speed just doesn't work. You have to go whatever the speed the group is going, so having small steps so you can be at a comfortable cadence regardless of what the speed is helps. If you're riding trails, the speed varies way more from turn to turn and it's kinda moot if you're not on the perfect gearing.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

So what I'm hearing is instead of buying another bike, I just need to train harder. The group wasn't bad, just frustrating that I was bouncing around two gears on my 1x12 setup, but not too terrible.

osker posted:

I put the 10-44 XPLR cassette on my 2x12 rival axs group set with the 46-33 chainrings. Using the garbauk pulleys and cage I got it to shift smoothly.

Adman:
The 10-44 has ok tooth jumps for the top 8 speeds, which is where you live when on road. I think your front chainring going up to 44 or 46 gets you to a road gearing range so you’re not spinning out.

I've got a canyon grail w/ front chainring being 40T which I might need to swap out for a 44 to get a little more oomph. I think I'll get a few more group rides and see if it gets any better. I always like buying stuff but I find it's usually an issue with the stuff between the handlebars and the seat that might be better addressed.

adnam fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 20, 2022

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

What chainring would you use for that? I thought XPLR was limited to 44 only.

I'm still trying to workout the build and frame I want.
I didn't realise how much of a mess SRAM road/grav stuff is now with all the incompatible RD/FD/chainsets. I think the Wide group would be an ok fit, since 43x10 gives about the same gear as my 52x12, which I already barely use. And 5mm extra Q-factor shouldn't make a difference either.

Frame wise the Standert Pfadfinder and Arc8 Eero (lol) are now top of my list, since they're both around 2k.

The Pfadfinder is limited to 40mm tyres max (which is probably enough, but nice to go bigger if I like) whilst the Eero can take up to 50mm.
I like the idea of a steel frame but it can get pretty wet and salty here and I don't want to spend my whole time worrying about rust. May not be a problem with good care though. On the other hand Arc8 are pretty unknown and the frame seems potentially like an overpriced open mould, so might be a gamble on quality. The warranty is the minimum possible too.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Heliosicle posted:

What chainring would you use for that? I thought XPLR was limited to 44 only.

I'm still trying to workout the build and frame I want.
I didn't realise how much of a mess SRAM road/grav stuff is now with all the incompatible RD/FD/chainsets. I think the Wide group would be an ok fit, since 43x10 gives about the same gear as my 52x12, which I already barely use. And 5mm extra Q-factor shouldn't make a difference either.
Best I can tell from my experience the only impediment to going over 44t is chain length. If you start with a 120link force chain, or splice your own, you can make it work.

The XPLR RD won’t pair/manage a FD, but uses the road flattop chain. Eagle also has the same 1x limitation and a different chain, but I suspect I can make hay out of any 12 speed to be honest.

As a general gripe I wish the industry could move past the loving 10tooth cog, that poo poo feels like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

osker posted:

As a general gripe I wish the industry could move past the loving 10tooth cog, that poo poo feels like garbage.

But that’s the only thing that lets people to pretend that 1x works for road. And SRAMs entire product lineup is broken without the magical 10x cog.