Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

seems like an excellent trade for the brewers and a mid trade for the braves and a poo poo trade for oakland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea if he was cheating with sticky stuff or with something else but he was 100% cheating. Other pitchers don't have that kind of spin rate increases when they are "amped up"

Spin rates go up 5% in the postseason.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The league was going to veto Judge getting 14 years but let this go through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think we should call a general amnesty and let A's fans become lifelong fans of other teams.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels better be doing everything possible to get Adames if he's not a part of that trade.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels better be doing everything possible to get Adames if he's not a part of that trade.

Why would he be available?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Esteury Ruiz has stolen a million bases in the minors, and actually hit well at times too. He could be a really fun player if he can, you know, hit. This is also his 4th team even though he's only 23. Perpetual trade chip

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How much is Rodon getting if Bassitt got 21 million per?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The Pussy Boss posted:

Esteury Ruiz has stolen a million bases in the minors, and actually hit well at times too. He could be a really fun player if he can, you know, hit. This is also his 4th team even though he's only 23. Perpetual trade chip

he's goin for that Jesse Chavez record now that we resigned him for 2023

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why would he be available?

Tweet on the previous page floated the possibility (not a good source of course) and the Brewers are selling?? Honestly I don't know what the Brewers are doing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tatsuta Age posted:

seems like an excellent trade for the brewers and a mid trade for the braves and a poo poo trade for oakland

The Braves just got arguably the second or third best catcher in MLB right now, meanwhile I don't recognize any of the yahoos they sent off besides Contreras for who Murphy is a straight upgrade offensively and defensively. I'd say it was a pretty great trade for them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Aw man

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmm I think the Cubs should do something.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popete posted:

Everyone stop this fighting, the Yankees and Astros are BOTH cheaters!

Imagine rooting for a franchise that doesn't care enough to cheat, I'd honestly be ashamed to be a fan

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Going to miss Contreras.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What's a Chris Bassitt and what does it do?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hand Knit posted:

He is an American hero.

https://twitter.com/NBCSAthletics/status/1452367855236812812

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jays have Anthony Bass and Chris Bassitt

Cornering the market on BASS+

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm sure that Geddy Lee will be pleased.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

is that fBASS or bBASS

https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1602417297628532759

:yikes:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

https://twitter.com/birenball/status/1602417618387869696

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

How much is Rodon getting if Bassitt got 21 million per?

I think it'll take 7 years and like $220 million, which is insane, and the Giants should give it to him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I was gonna say Bassitt was actually pretty good last year as a #3

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Yay! Finally the Jays do something. I don't anything about Bassittt but he must be cool and good if he's actually signing with the Jays.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea if he was cheating with sticky stuff or with something else but he was 100% cheating. Other pitchers don't have that kind of spin rate increases when they are "amped up"
If they get fired up and can squeeze another tick or two out of velocity then yes, they do.

If your spin rate increases in proportion to velocity then it's not cheating. Unless you think he was shot up with amphetamines or something pre-game to get extra velo??

Spin rate is very closely correlated with velocity for each pitcher. This is all well researched and documented from people like Eno Sarris.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TMKSESPN/status/1602421876852236288

Good. And he'd know.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

taking over nakatomi plaza and issuing a demands list of Oakland As that must be paid as a stalling tactic when the feds show up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

If they get fired up and can squeeze another tick or two out of velocity then yes, they do.

If your spin rate increases in proportion to velocity then it's not cheating. Unless you think he was shot up with amphetamines or something pre-game to get extra velo??

Spin rate is very closely correlated with velocity for each pitcher. This is all well researched and documented from people like Eno Sarris.

"Guys try harder in the playoffs" seems completely reasonable???

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Players are melting down trash cans and injecting them directly into themselves in order to boost their power.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there should be a cyberpunk baseball video game when you can actively hack other teams with Eckstein123.exe or inject yourself with Future Roids or buy cybernetic elbow ligaments on the black market.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What do you find in trash cans? Pizza boxes. Why can't you recycle pizza boxes? Because the grease ruins the quality of the paper.

Pizza grease on the ears.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

there should be a cyberpunk baseball video game when you can actively hack other teams with Eckstein123.exe or inject yourself with Future Roids or buy cybernetic elbow ligaments on the black market.

The final boss villain is Chris Correa

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

Yay! Finally the Jays do something. I don't anything about Bassittt but he must be cool and good if he's actually signing with the Jays.

Bassitt is very good and I'm kinda surprised he was on the market for as long as he was. Nice upgrade for the Jays

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Red posted:

mcmagic is not used to seeing his team try hard in the playoffs so cut him some slack

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is like if Super Baseball Simulator 1000 (batter hits a missile ball that impales a fielder) merged with say Mutant League Football (bribe refs, kill the opposing players)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That seems like too much!

I mean, that's par for the course this offseason, it seems. Bassitt as #3 behind Manoah and Gausman is pretty solid, I think. Berrios at 4 and then... whatever they do for 5. Who knows, maybe Tiedemann can work his way up quickly.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Berzerker posted:

I mean, that's par for the course this offseason, it seems. Bassitt as #3 behind Manoah and Gausman is pretty solid, I think. Berrios at 4 and then... whatever they do for 5. Who knows, maybe Tiedemann can work his way up quickly.

I would expect Berrios to enter the season ahead of Bassitt in the rotation, with the idea that whatever was up with him last year was something capital-W Weird and they've fixed it through the offseason. After that, while it wouldn't be my first choice, I wouldn't be surprised if they enter the season with Kikuchi penciled in at 5 with the idea that they'll give him and Mitch White a few starts each before reaching for Tiedemann.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Red posted:

So he's the only guy trying harder in the playoffs? No other players had their spin rate increase at the level his did.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

So he's the only guy trying harder in the playoffs? No other players had their spin rate increase at the level his did.

The average spin rate is up 5% in the playoffs. Musgrove's just the only one who got checked because the Manager of the Year knew his team stood no other chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The average spin rate is up 5% in the playoffs. Musgrove's just the only one who got checked because the Manager of the Year knew his team stood no other chance.

His spin rate was up vastly more than 5%. No one else had the kind of increase he did.