Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No Wave posted:

I mean, there is, and it's turned on until CL600 where it gets turned off. But making you desperate to advance your collection is the business plan. Creating a gigantic pool of beta players with full collections for aspiring new competitive players to lose to repeatedly wasnt a mistake, its how they try to move bundles.

I really do have to question this line of argument. I know you've brought it up several times, but while I did notice a change in the matchmaking as of CL600, I didn't start losing all of a sudden.

While it is easy to let yourself get intimidated by fancy titles and card backs, I don't see any evidence that it will drastically hurt your chances - as long as you are aware of what the opponent is running and react accordingly before it has appeared. So the true obstacle holding you back is information.

If you have a hard time identifying what an opponent is playing, try practicing by actively trying to identify the opposing deck each turn based on the plays, until you can infer what deck you are up against at least 6-7 times out of every 8.

And remember - when in doubt, bail out. and play devil dino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

goferchan posted:

I have spent my whole online card game career telling people they're wrong and they're just projecting when they claim this happens but lol, man, I think I agree with you. This game has just enough matchmaking stuff that's obscufated that I can believe it, and if you switch to some weird deck (like throwing all your grays in to get boosters) it really does feel like you're getting matched differently.
I definitely agree that deck strength based matchmaking exists. This kind of matchmaking often has the side effect of promoting mirrors (because you'll be running decks of the same "score"). This also wouldnt be the first game that did it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Someone was questioning my White Tiger a little while ago. I agree she's weak on her own and maybe even a little overpriced, but you can't argue with the results against a cocky opponent.

That said, folks were right.. this deck isn't playing as consistently as it did the further I get into the game. I still win more than I lose but I need a change of strategy.

I've never played Tiger, but I genuinely have no idea what your opponent was aiming to do in that game. I see Blade, Squirrel Girl, Ka-Zar so that hints towards Zoo, but Fantastic and Klaw are odd additions if that's the case. Looks like terrible luck to have drawn two of the Lechuguilla Rocks, but what was their game plan in the first place?

I've been having a good time with Ultron Patriot lately. Swapped out Misty Knight for Wasp today, and she's a nice bump to the Ultron lane on T6, only shame is that she doesn't get the Ka-Zar buff

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Hauki posted:

What are like, priorities to look for the token shop at this point?

Aero and Mysterio are great pulls. Personally I am holding on for Daredevil (#1) and Death. Wave, Leader, Mystique are some of the most powerful pool 3 cards. Magneto, Doctor Doom, Ghost Rider and Hela for discard to name some more

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just pulled Thanos and I feel like my pool 5 luck has been absolutely stupid (Thanos, Super Skrull and Valkyrie) but I also feel like I have nothing to synergize with them. Kinda frustrating honestly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

I definitely agree that deck strength based matchmaking exists. This kind of matchmaking often has the side effect of promoting mirrors (because you'll be running decks of the same "score"). This also wouldnt be the first game that did it.

I know Hearthstone does to a degree but I think they've claimed it's only for brand new accounts, and stops once you're out of the bronze ranks for the first time. If we can take their word for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RevKrule posted:

Just pulled Thanos and I feel like my pool 5 luck has been absolutely stupid (Thanos, Super Skrull and Valkyrie) but I also feel like I have nothing to synergize with them. Kinda frustrating honestly.

I think Skrull is just gonna be something you whip out and steal some cubes with when Onslaught's Citadel is the hot location or whatever. It's a super cool card and I'm jealous, but I don't think it's so much a "build-around" with the current card pool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well my first Collector’s Cache I opened was Destroyer so that seems pretty good

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

RevKrule posted:

I don't have Mojo, but this deck has been going really well with Valkyrie.

quote:

# (0) Yellowjacket
# (1) The Hood
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (2) Adam Warlock
# (2) Angela
# (2) Daredevil
# (2) Armor
# (3) Cosmo
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Valkyrie
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiWWVsbG93amFja2V0In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIb29kIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbnRNYW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik5pZ2h0Y3Jhd2xlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWRhbVdhcmxvY2sifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFuZ2VsYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGFyZWRldmlsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBcm1vciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVmFsa3lyaWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlByb2Zlc3NvclgifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkJsdWVNYXJ2ZWwifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkNvc21vIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

RevKrule posted:

Wolfsbane is a good one to slot in if you haven't already since she can add some good raw power on a crowded lane. Rocket can be a decent reslot for Goose if you don't have him yet. Groot's also a good power player in the deck and can be a decent replacement for like Rogue or Juggernaut. You'll retreat a bit but can still do good numbers.

Good to know. I'll swap those in. I also just opened absorbing man so that's one down.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:what:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get a 6 drop, opponent gets a 3 drop, how is this fair????

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm telling you, they never see Ultron coming!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You run Rogue right?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pool 2 move deck, so unfortunately no.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 12, 2022

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Rogue is in my token shop right now. After lucking into Sera and Psylocke earlier in my caches, I'd be a fool not to buy her, right? 1000 for her feels pretty nice.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Rogue is in my token shop right now. After lucking into Sera and Psylocke earlier in my caches, I'd be a fool not to buy her, right? 1000 for her feels pretty nice.

I bought her for my Sera Surfer deck and it's been great (yes I'm awful at knowing when to snap).

^ Anyone know why the middle/copied Rogue didn't steal the middle/copied Patriot's ability?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Quackles posted:

I really do have to question this line of argument. I know you've brought it up several times, but while I did notice a change in the matchmaking as of CL600, I didn't start losing all of a sudden.

So, I believe there's a hidden MMR component of accounts that's not tied to collection. Like, if you're 2000 MMR you'll get matched up versus 1800 to 2200 MMR (all numbers hypothetical). However, there's also an additional layer of filtering with Pool Based Matchmaking. If you're in Pool 1 you'll mostly match versus Pool 1. If you're at 593 or whatever you'll match against late Pool 2 and early Pool 3 accounts. This is all personal experience talking, but when I was in the late 500s most accounts were similar to mine.

Also, maybe I'm wrong and it's entirely based off rank.

I'm pretty sure my problem is that I played a tooon of Snap before hitting 594. I finished last season at like, rank 115. So, when I finally hit 600 Collection Level, I was Rank 89, with super inflated matchmaking, and going up against YouTubers that had been playing the game for months and were extremely good. There's very little an early Pool 3 deck can do to play around an early Carnage package into Moon Girl, Wave, She-Hulk x2, Death x2, and Aero too, why not. I hit this rank during the "Destroy your deck" location, so I had to run White Queen to copy their death to have a chance lmao. I can retreat too, but with the power level of decks I was dealing with, none of the decks I played had a shot until I got some more cards and now have a Discard Deck That Is Not Great, but Works.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

canyonero posted:

I bought her for my Sera Surfer deck and it's been great (yes I'm awful at knowing when to snap).

^ Anyone know why the middle/copied Rogue didn't steal the middle/copied Patriot's ability?

The location copies Rogue after her On Reveal happens. After the On Reveal, she loses her On Reveal gains the Ongoing. So middle Rogue has Patriot's ability copied from the left Rogue but won't steal. You can see your broodlings are +4 relative to Brood because you have two Patriot Ongoings active.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What's the rule with pool matching anyway? With pool 1, I didn't face any pool 2 cards until I went past the pool 1 cap. With pool 2 end, I'm still like 3-4 cards away from getting the entire pool and I'm facing cards from pool 3, from bots and real players alike.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've started just playing cards wherever I feel like even before locations reveal, if it makes sense given the cards in my hand. I retreat at 1 cube often enough that I feel like it's worth it to start setting up my board state for a solid win, enough to risk the chance that site 2 or 3 gently caress me over and I lose a cube.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tekopo posted:

What's the rule with pool matching anyway? With pool 1, I didn't face any pool 2 cards until I went past the pool 1 cap. With pool 2 end, I'm still like 3-4 cards away from getting the entire pool and I'm facing cards from pool 3, from bots and real players alike.
Yeah apparently that's about when you start to see Pool 3 stuff, when you are a few cards short of the full Pool 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tender Bender posted:

I've started just playing cards wherever I feel like even before locations reveal, if it makes sense given the cards in my hand. I retreat at 1 cube often enough that I feel like it's worth it to start setting up my board state for a solid win, enough to risk the chance that site 2 or 3 gently caress me over and I lose a cube.

it's a gamble, but i feel like it depends on your deck and how well they can recover from revealing a 'cards can't be played' or similar location (i.e. do you have any cards that can generate cards at that location, or can move to it)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah apparently that's about when you start to see Pool 3 stuff, when you are a few cards short of the full Pool 2
Ah shame, I was hoping to stall when I unlocked all the pool 2 cards so that I could play some games with only pool 1/2 cards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Ah shame, I was hoping to stall when I unlocked all the pool 2 cards so that I could play some games with only pool 1/2 cards.
Stall at CL594. There will still be pool 3s floating around but it's nothing like CL600 and above.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Okay Silver Surfer is almost certainly going to need to eat a nerf.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Tekopo posted:

If you want chill stalling gameplay, hit 500 CL to unlock your 3x freebie pool 3 cards and get your token shop rotating, then play without hitting 600 CL. I ran into relatively few pool 3 cards around there, but once you go over the 600 CL threshold wins were few and far between until you get a few more key cards

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Decent day today. A lot of opportunities to snap more, but I'm not minding the slow roll. And sometimes I just don't have it, so it's pretty risky even if I get the 2 in the end. Doom is a cool finisher, but the multiple adds from Ultron make a lot of difference, so he's more of a backup. Honestly I'm pretty sure the ideal game is like, Patriot, Ka-Zar, Blue Marvel and Ultron on Onslaught's Citadel, two untouched lanes that are both Washington lol.

Haven't seen many Enchantresses, Cosmo is more prominent, but both she and Rogue can really mess my plan, best defence is to spread stuff around. Cosmo honestly is the best card to play onto Wong, they have a lot of trouble adapting, but gotta be careful with Ultron/Doom placement.

Oh, Rocks are great and I kinda regret not having gotten Debrii, but you still function without it (and enemy Debrii are just free power)

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

goferchan posted:

I have spent my whole online card game career telling people they're wrong and they're just projecting when they claim this happens but lol, man, I think I agree with you. This game has just enough matchmaking stuff that's obscufated that I can believe it, and if you switch to some weird deck (like throwing all your grays in to get boosters) it really does feel like you're getting matched differently.

I sometimes get real paranoid about how this game works. For example, I switched to an Infinaut deck and cruised from 40 to 50 in a couple of days. Then as soon as I hit 50, I'm completely stuck, bouncing between 49-52.

And it's not just that some of the players I'm now facing have better cards - I keep getting locations that screw me over, and keep drawing every card EXCEPT the only three cards I need to win (Sunspot, Storm and Infinaut). It would actually be quite funny if it wasn't so frustrating. Today I played Agent13 which put a SECOND Infinaut in my hand, but the combination of locations and other cards I drew meant I couldn't use either of them.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Serperoth posted:

Decent day today. A lot of opportunities to snap more, but I'm not minding the slow roll. And sometimes I just don't have it, so it's pretty risky even if I get the 2 in the end. Doom is a cool finisher, but the multiple adds from Ultron make a lot of difference, so he's more of a backup. Honestly I'm pretty sure the ideal game is like, Patriot, Ka-Zar, Blue Marvel and Ultron on Onslaught's Citadel, two untouched lanes that are both Washington lol.

Haven't seen many Enchantresses, Cosmo is more prominent, but both she and Rogue can really mess my plan, best defence is to spread stuff around. Cosmo honestly is the best card to play onto Wong, they have a lot of trouble adapting, but gotta be careful with Ultron/Doom placement.

Oh, Rocks are great and I kinda regret not having gotten Debrii, but you still function without it (and enemy Debrii are just free power)

What are columns one and two?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

What are columns one and two?

First column is just a heading for the day, this is Day 7 of the season, second is which deck I'm playing (but this season it's been exclusively this one). Next is which card I got boosters for, since this started as a way to keep statistical data on when I was gonna get Elektra boosters (took something like 50 games to get 11 boosters iirc), next rank and cubes gained/lost (but that's kinda obvious)

Edit: I realise I didn't post the list but it's all the cards there, minus Misty Knight, plus Patriot and Abomination

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Red Rox posted:

I sometimes get real paranoid about how this game works. For example, I switched to an Infinaut deck and cruised from 40 to 50 in a couple of days. Then as soon as I hit 50, I'm completely stuck, bouncing between 49-52.

And it's not just that some of the players I'm now facing have better cards - I keep getting locations that screw me over, and keep drawing every card EXCEPT the only three cards I need to win (Sunspot, Storm and Infinaut). It would actually be quite funny if it wasn't so frustrating. Today I played Agent13 which put a SECOND Infinaut in my hand, but the combination of locations and other cards I drew meant I couldn't use either of them.

Could very well be the game putting a finger on the scale to funnel you towards $$ but for what it's worth:

True randomness fucks with our brains. Researchers have done coin flip studies that participants report as rigged (they weren't) and fair when they were rigged to "feel" fair.

there's also a famous tech example of the iTunes team making shuffle not truly random because people kept complaining it was favoring certain songs.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I feel the same, and the cynical part of me says that each season is going to feature a card that is slightly OP

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Miles and BP were absolutely not op. The next one looks pretty hosed up tho.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

I would argue that miles isn't even good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Scorp too. Feel like 2 energy is cheap to affect every card in your hand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

There's a lot of Leech in the meta now. Surfer always gets played on 6 for maximum value so Leech absolutely fucks the deck.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

No Wave posted:

What’s the next one? Think it was posted but I missed it

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I’m CL1138 but still love my Wong/WhiteTiger/BlackPanther/Odin deck. So much fun. I also love putting Odin on a hobgoblin the enemy gave me, but it sucks if Wong is there as well, because then he bounces straight back to me again. I get it, but I don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the_american_dream posted:

What’s the next one? Think it was posted but I missed it

It's Zabu, who is Kazar's tiger. It's a 3/2 that makes all your 4-cost cards cost 2 less (minimum 1). It's strong enough to play, but it's a weak body on the board and there aren't that many broken combos that revolve around 4s. Dracula discard is the obvious immediate use, although turn 4 Wong/Shuri into turn 5 Panther won't be bad.