Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"That one mech had a backpack on, that's pretty Souls, I bet it's open world"

"No, it's levels. Trailer was just vibes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An open world AC game would be interesting but I dunno how it would work. Fight robots and rip bits off them or something?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Positronic Spleen posted:

Now I'm wondering, what was the problem with AC5, exactly? There was an emphasis on multiplayer, but was the singleplayer bad because of the game mechanics, or length? I missed playing those entries, but looking at it again now, they look like the slowest out of all the AC games, but nothing jumps out as being particularly awful

Anyways, I know a lot of people were hoping for soulsborne influences or an open world, but since they confirmed to be sticking with instanced missions, perhaps now we should be asking if this will be Nioh with guns, lol

edit: I know nioh already has guns, you know what I mean

The length is the big thing I'd say compared to the late era ps2 games. I vaguely recall being disappointed at some builds being obsoleted or removed.
I also haven't played the ps2 games since Last Raven was new, or V since it was, so I'm sure the folks who have kept playing or revisted more recently can say more.

I remember the exact mission a goon already complained about and I remember it being specifically a lesson in taking load outs with lots of ammo and punishment for not fully kitting yourself with weapons. Though I also vaguely remember there was some RNG in the mission, like sometimes going through it it was a cakewalk, other times you could do nothing wrong but fail because say you zigged and the train you're chasing zagged and now you're in different tunnels for too big of a chunk to do the damage needed before it escapes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Coolness Averted posted:

The length is the big thing I'd say compared to the late era ps2 games. I vaguely recall being disappointed at some builds being obsoleted or removed.
I also haven't played the ps2 games since Last Raven was new, or V since it was, so I'm sure the folks who have kept playing or revisted more recently can say more.

I remember the exact mission a goon already complained about and I remember it being specifically a lesson in taking load outs with lots of ammo and punishment for not fully kitting yourself with weapons. Though I also vaguely remember there was some RNG in the mission, like sometimes going through it it was a cakewalk, other times you could do nothing wrong but fail because say you zigged and the train you're chasing zagged and now you're in different tunnels for too big of a chunk to do the damage needed before it escapes.

I agree, it was not long enough of a game, and was not branching enough in it's plot

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

smh missed their chance to do a mecha death stranding in the post-apoc

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i can't stop thinking about how i'm going to build out my big cool fighting robot in armored core. even the very first game had a strong grasp on how to make this sort of thing really interesting

early on i had the idea to save some money on missions, and thus accelerate my earnings, by pivoting to energy weapons instead of ballistic ones. and it actually worked, to a point, until i started running headfirst into the problems created by my extremely light and agile mech, which depends on maneuverability to survive, making its weapon systems and its booster systems both eat from the same plate

ammo might be expensive, but AC repairs aren't exactly cheap either :v:

you kinda have to go along with the economic tension that the game wants you to experience by not just reloading your save every time you take a few too many hits but it's a really interesting consideration to add to the building process.

and besides, i don't even see a point to reloading after a mission breaks bad. if i go too far in the red, i just start over with all the parts i've earned and a fresh credit score, so i can hit the ground running and start making a poo poo ton of money off the early missions. and making more money is why you'd want to reload in the first place, right? so why bother? it's more fun to just go with it

ugh! gently caress! this game is so good!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I gotta see how well FA runs on my system

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember when I played I just did the same mission over and over for payouts because I found one I could basically do perfectly.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

AtomikKrab posted:

I agree, it was not long enough of a game, and was not branching enough in it's plot

Yeah, the only bits of the game that probably still exist felt like more of a tutorial or refresher so you could figure out how builds worked in this version and like the meat was supposed to be the half baked psuedo chromehounds multiplayer which was just bad.

For folks who didn't experience it, multiplayer revolved around 5v5 map conquest, where your formed a clan and conquered bases by running AC missions with some easily pushed over npc defenses. Then as you held bases you got points that could be spent upgrading defenses like missile batteries, radar that let your see enemies or jammers that hosed with the other team's lock-on and ability to detect the defenders without LOS
You claimed territory from other teams by attacking the base and smashing npc defenses which lowered the score attached until it got to a critical level, after it hit that critical level the owners had to send PCs in for a pvp match within a certain time frame or else they lost the territory.

After a successful defense the territory got like a 24 hour immunity window in which it couldn't change hands. The problem: the defense mechanic wasn't Clan A attacked Clan B's territory 50 times, so Clan B must fight them or lose the territory, it was "Clan B must defend in a pvp match. So within the first week clans realized they just had to have someone leave their clan, attack by themselves and then throw the match to guarantee their bases were permanently locked down.

After launch they included limited time raids against giant mechs that you'd have to launch multiple missions to take down.

Oh also the 5v5 was only 4v4 mechs, with a 5th player in a operator role, where they viewed a map and could ping to give the other players visibility on objectives or enemy mechs.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Big Scary Owl posted:

From the IGN interview, thought this was interesting:

Games with Push Forward Combat™:
Doom
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Armored Core 6

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

Games with Push Forward Combat™:
Doom
Bloodborne
Sekiro
Armored Core 6

Lots of games have a "hit enemy a lot and he falls down" mechanic, it turns out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

An open world AC game would be interesting but I dunno how it would work. Fight robots and rip bits off them or something?

Lets say you have a mobile base where you rearm, repair and assemble your mechs. From there you launch out on timed sorties where you run/fly around in your mech before returning with salvage. Maybe you have to carry stuff back or maybe you just mark it for some other team to collect. The base has limitations on where it can go so it more or less works like bonfires do now. Your base can also dock up at towns where you can buy stuff and get contracts.

:edit: I guess a lot of what I'm describing is like the recent Battletech game.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
MW3 had those mobile repair units that you had protect, which allowed them to do cool stuff with missions.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Really the only weird thing about that (or an AC game with more of a Metroid/Zelda-like world) would be how it would handle enemies dropping money. Just being able to grind for cash in an AC game would be very strange.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Coolness Averted posted:

That fuckin mission :orks:

Back when I played the AC games though, I didn't have the mindset of rolling with it if I had a bad mission and CERTAINLY not playing NG+ because I died, so I suffered way more than I needed to. Going to go back before VI drops and have a better time.

One thing that the series could do is go Full Colony Wars so that like every single mission can take you on a different overall path through the game depending on how you do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sum Gai posted:

Really the only weird thing about that (or an AC game with more of a Metroid/Zelda-like world) would be how it would handle enemies dropping money. Just being able to grind for cash in an AC game would be very strange.

Just fluff it so you're contracted with a salvage outfit and you get a cut of the value of stuff you destroy because after you leave, they show up and go Full Jawa on the wreckage.

Or have you Fulton device mech parts that you can choose to keep or sell next time you return to base. Actually MGSV could be a great basis for something like this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sum Gai posted:

You could do that in AC2 though, like I said I just replayed missions until I got enough cash to buy everything.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OwlFancier posted:

You could do that in AC2 though, like I said I just replayed missions until I got enough cash to buy everything.

Yeah, just frame it as a bounty from factions happy you blew up equipment from the rival factions, or salvagers sending you your share of what they made off of picking through the reckage.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, just frame it as a bounty from factions happy you blew up equipment from the rival factions, or salvagers sending you your share of what they made off of picking through the reckage.

Or the game's currency is scrap. I'm not thinking of why beating enemies gives you resources, more that in previous games you had to worry about ammo and repair costs, going into debt if you failed missions, and potentially being sold for human experimentation if you screwed up too often. Being able to kill mecha-chickens over and over again would go against that spirit pretty hard*.

*Also, I don't think you got mission replay in any of them until after the final mission, when it's obviously a lot less useful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RBA Starblade posted:

TF2's not a very good game

You are insane.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, what the hell, Titanfall 2 is a sublime under-appreciated gem. Probably the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer and a very polished single-player campaign to boot. My only complaint is that the low sales resulted in a too-small player base for many match types.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
off topic (maybe depending on whos writing this game) but are the Expanse novels worth reading?

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

Is there a plot we’ll need to understand, or can we come in blind with this as the first one?

In the IGN interview posted today FROM confirmed this is a total reboot so you can come in blind. I guess the AC games do the Final Fantasy thing where each mainline numbered game is its own universe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not every one, but there have been two reboots of the continuity before

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, what the hell, Titanfall 2 is a sublime under-appreciated gem. Probably the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer and a very polished single-player campaign to boot. My only complaint is that the low sales resulted in a too-small player base for many match types.

Seconded. I got less than a year of multiplayer out of it before the player base shrunk to only people who could crush me like a bug, but for a time it was really amazing.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

armored core kinda does both hard and soft reboots.

armored core 3 > 4 is what id call a hard reboot because it's in a different timeline/universe and game feel but armored core 4 > 5 is what I'd call a soft reboot because despite being a very different feeling game, it still takes place in the same timeline/universe as 4

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Noob Saibot posted:

off topic (maybe depending on whos writing this game) but are the Expanse novels worth reading?

Yeah, they're a lot of fun. They're entertaining and far better crafted than most sci-fi novels. They did a good job at giving the world a grounded feel, with orbital mechanics playing heavily into the narrative and making the politics of the setting clear and logical. The prose is merely practical and the characters are a bit lacking (the show fleshed them out a lot more), but they created a great world with interesting factions and physics-based rules.

If you enjoy the political intrigue of something like Dune and like the idea of submarine-like warfare where inertia and g-forces play heavily into battle tactics, you'll love it.

I think whatever they wrote is likely the new sci-fi franchise Miyazaki mentioned in an interview earlier this year. Otherwise, the authors likely would have tweeted about their involvement with AC6 now that it's officially announced. I think we won't know exactly what that new franchise is for at least another year.

Noob Saibot posted:

In the IGN interview posted today FROM confirmed this is a total reboot so you can come in blind. I guess the AC games do the Final Fantasy thing where each mainline numbered game is its own universe

Mostly. 2 is a sequel to 1, but ever since then, a new number indicated a new narrative. (Technically 5 is a sequel to 4, but over so many millennia that it's essentially a new setting.)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Sum Gai posted:

Or the game's currency is scrap. I'm not thinking of why beating enemies gives you resources, more that in previous games you had to worry about ammo and repair costs, going into debt if you failed missions, and potentially being sold for human experimentation if you screwed up too often. Being able to kill mecha-chickens over and over again would go against that spirit pretty hard*.

*Also, I don't think you got mission replay in any of them until after the final mission, when it's obviously a lot less useful.

Nexus definitely let you replay stuff indefinitely, but also was pretty much a 0 narrative game. Last Raven had some mechanic where you could walk away/restart with your earnings at any time other than a gameover or beating it, since the main pathways to get endings were scaled around you importing save data from previous AC games. So it basically had "run the 2-3 early missions that have no mechs on repeat" options.
5 also allowed you to replay missions, since you could co op them with friends

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the idea of Elden Ring level bossfights except it's an insane giant mecha game has me needing to lie down

also maybe i'm being contrarian here but I still think this is going to be way more exploration based than these sort of games were in the past. Interviews with Miyazaki about what Elden Ring ended up being were super misleading

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The mech combat sucks rear end

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It's good actually. Scorch was so much fun

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RBA Starblade posted:

:wrong:
I can see where you'd be disappointed if you expected mechwarrior style play or whatever instead of an arcadey FPS, but that's like saying Red Dead Redemption 2 was a bad game because you wanted to play Oregon Trail not a cowboy soap opera mixed with grand theft horses.
If they gave you what you wanted it would have made for disjointed gameplay and a worse product overall.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Really all you need to know about the setting of Armored Core is that capitalism sucks. That's....that's a good foundation to work from. Like instead of eldritch horrors and a fundamentally unbalanced metaphysical reality like Dark Souls, it's just corporations.

Same effect in the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Nexus definitely let you replay stuff indefinitely, but also was pretty much a 0 narrative game. Last Raven had some mechanic where you could walk away/restart with your earnings at any time other than a gameover or beating it, since the main pathways to get endings were scaled around you importing save data from previous AC games. So it basically had "run the 2-3 early missions that have no mechs on repeat" options.
5 also allowed you to replay missions, since you could co op them with friends

Nexus had a fairly standard amount of plot for an AC game, and only allowed replays once you finished the game. You might be thinking of Another Age there.

1 and 2 let you keep your stuff if you went into debt and restarted (making the clever play to buy as much as you could before crashing, rather than selling to pay off your debt), and most games with arenas let you make more money than you could ever need if you got good with them.

Being able to break the economy isn't against the spirit of armored core, basically.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Really all you need to know about the setting of Armored Core is that capitalism sucks. That's....that's a good foundation to work from. Like instead of eldritch horrors and a fundamentally unbalanced metaphysical reality like Dark Souls, it's just corporations.

Same effect in the end.

Just like real life :hmmyes:

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

the idea of Elden Ring level bossfights except it's an insane giant mecha game has me needing to lie down

also maybe i'm being contrarian here but I still think this is going to be way more exploration based than these sort of games were in the past. Interviews with Miyazaki about what Elden Ring ended up being were super misleading

I am actually hoping for some kind of free roam mode in addition to the missions, I'm just not sure how it would work in practice.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

chiasaur11 posted:

Nexus had a fairly standard amount of plot for an AC game, and only allowed replays once you finished the game. You might be thinking of Another Age there.

1 and 2 let you keep your stuff if you went into debt and restarted (making the clever play to buy as much as you could before crashing, rather than selling to pay off your debt), and most games with arenas let you make more money than you could ever need if you got good with them.

Being able to break the economy isn't against the spirit of armored core, basically.

Looking it up it, I'm probably thinking of the 2nd disc of Nexus, which was all the remixes and stuff. I don't remember if you could export your save freely out of that disk, but I know you could import saves created from 1st disk/main game or other AC games.
AC and a few Koei games like the expanse-alone Dynasty and Samurai Warriors games were neat about cross game saves I don't remember seeing much before or since.
It was a bit more than say Yakuza 'save detected so here's some free items' and ranged from parts and progress to just "hey you can use the decals you unlocked or made in other titles"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Battletech got the sortie based giant robot mercenary campaign down pretty well, in the ideal world From implements a system similar to that one.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Sum Gai posted:

I am actually hoping for some kind of free roam mode in addition to the missions, I'm just not sure how it would work in practice.

I am picturing a mission based structure but each mission being in a very large play area with a bunch of different ways to approach the objective, as well as side objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Armored Core Battle Royale :twisted: