Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If that's how narrow the Argentinian one is I'd hate to see the Chilean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

slothrop posted:

Atta boy.

I do miss driving some of those roads, epecially the one from Bleakheath down to the Megalong. Might be a post xmas roadtrip for the Astina and I.

It much like most of the roads in the mountains has been hosed hard by the rain and I’m not sure what condition it’s in atm

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Look what I found while I was looking at Christmas toy flyers.

Playmobil A-Team van!

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Playmobil---A-Team-Van/F470A95F.html

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fornax Disaster posted:

Look what I found while I was looking at Christmas toy flyers.

Playmobil A-Team van!

https://www.toysrus.ca/en/Playmobil---A-Team-Van/F470A95F.html

That owns so god drat much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
fuckin sellouts, when i was a kid Playmobil was all vague and generic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

fuckin sellouts, when i was a kid Playmobil was all vague and generic

All with constables rousting unhoused people just tryna get a sleep

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The sheer cheek of loosening your plate frame and putting a leaf in there to cover a letter on your plate is amazing.

https://twitter.com/GershKuntzman/status/1601692892040413185?t=2UKDiMXIkC1dHGcnEixClQ&s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
spray adhesive and a couple handfuls of dry dirt.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The sheer cheek of loosening your plate frame and putting a leaf in there to cover a letter on your plate is amazing.

https://twitter.com/GershKuntzman/status/1601692892040413185?t=2UKDiMXIkC1dHGcnEixClQ&s=19

In my experience driving a lovely vehicle with low hanging fruit is a good wat to have a roadside chat with the cops. They can make up their own excuse for pulling me, I don't need to give them one.

I was pulled over twice since 2009, once was speeding in Wyoming, the other was having a taillight out on my dinged up saturn with out of state plates during rush hour in Denver. Absolutely never would have happened if the car was in good condition or had a local plate.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Does fuckin' with your plate actually get you out of paying tolls? Seems like there'd be some follow up eventually.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have out of state plates, in texas at least, texas has no recourse as they don't share plate data with other states and as a result there's no reciprocation so those toll fees go into a black hole. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years. Out of state toll revenue is probably so small it's not worth upseting the apple cart to get it is my guess

Your username/post combo is on point today

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have driven around with no plate plenty in Cali before, can confirm you can get through Fastrak tolls with no issue. Cali is tighter with temp plates these days, you can’t get away with dealer plates any more and I did get a ticket for no plate a few years ago while the car was parked. Since all tolls are electronic now they wanted to close that loop. I haven’t tried driving with the wrong plate on a car, if a cop ran it you would have some explaining to do unless it was tied to another car of the same make/model/maybe color.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A friend in highschool was gifted a Volvo 240 from a car guy family member

Three months later got pulled over driving half a block from her house, because the plate was registered to car guy's Datsun 240z or whatever, he had switched the plates somehow

This was in an absolute police state of a Texas suburb though. California cops are, well, I lived there for seven years and I think the total number of times I saw a police car move under it's own power was seven and three of those were in the last six months, enforcement of traffic is practically non-existent there

Virginia is pretty interesting. You drive across the border on i-95 and there's the biggest highway sign I've ever seen in my life saying something about speed limits being enforced.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah you don’t gently caress with speeding in VA.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

devmd01 posted:

Yeah you don’t gently caress with speeding in VA.

Meanwhile, I'm in VA and have been driving around with a safety inspection sticker that expired in August.

It's not intentional. Every few days I'll be in the car going somewhere, look down and left, and go "oh poo poo." Then I forget about it again.

Guess my skin color!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
This past summer I was driving around with a year 2000 licence plate renewal sticker - legally!

I finished a project car that had been off the road since then, and the province has just ended the requirement to display a sticker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My best friend moved to Dallas six years ago, last year one of our buddies drove down to see him and about an hour from Dallas he was pulled over. The ticket said he was operating and unregistered vehicle and they hit him for driving without a license.
The cops tried to convince him he needed Texas plates and a Texas license to drive in Texas.
All got dismissed obviously but they detained him for two hours over it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My best friend moved to Dallas six years ago, last year one of our buddies drove down to see him and about an hour from Dallas he was pulled over. The ticket said he was operating and unregistered vehicle and they hit him for driving without a license.
The cops tried to convince him he needed Texas plates and a Texas license to drive in Texas.
All got dismissed obviously but they detained him for two hours over it.

This is normal, unfortunately

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hadlock posted:

This is normal, unfortunately

i didn't believe it but he showed us the paperwork and we found a bunch of tik toks with identical encounters

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scam Likely posted:

Does fuckin' with your plate actually get you out of paying tolls? Seems like there'd be some follow up eventually.

it gets you out of tolls and all sorts of automated ticketing systems, presumably if you make front and rear plates look the same so the system can't read em.

dare you @ the twitter bot https://twitter.com/howsmydrivingny account, send it the NY plate from the video and see how many tickets it has and i bet you'll see a precipitous drop of tickets at some point in the history when the piece of poo poo decided to deface/'cover their plate

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK had a few inches of snow yesterday and lack of government funding and planning has meant scenes like the following in many places... First video has some very satisfying noises :lol:

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1601988289891909634?t=-GVpWI45n1mE0NUcND8HhQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/ChaudharyParvez/status/1602228977115881472?t=_fAHNuWWi4sP88Kf-PKOug&s=19

https://twitter.com/can_cagzimm/status/1602061976129110016?t=6eG2BMdNr6I9SpK10Yr98w&s=19

https://twitter.com/nishattazz/status/1602102166356885505?t=VGwA4FaDI13kUDNdOctCnw&s=19

We've had virtually nothing and I'm annoyed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The best part is it snows every year in the UK but it's somehow a surprise every time. Nobody uses all season tyres let alone winters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

knox_harrington posted:

The best part is it snows every year in the UK but it's somehow a surprise every time. Nobody uses all season tyres let alone winters.

this is literally anywhere that it snows in America.

OH MY GOODNESS WHATEVER IS THIS WHITE STUFF

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rhyno posted:

Same thing but rain in Florida.

HOLY poo poo ITS GENTLY RAINING I GUESS ILL PANIC BRAKE DOWN TO 30MPH IN THE LEFT LANE OF A 70MPH EXPRESSWAY AND TURN ON MY HAZARD LIGHTS IT HASNT DONE THIS IN LIKE NINE WHOLE MONTHS

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

What makes me "laugh" is that people get used to driving in the snow, then it gets nice for a few weeks at the end of the season, followed by a really late snow storm right before the start of spring. People freak out and drive super slow again as if they hadn't just dealt with it for three months!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
yeah that's everywhere. hell if not for AI i'd never had gotten on the winter tire lifestyle

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
In North Carolina the rule for snow driving is one pedal on the floor at all times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Northern Wisconsin is the exception for poo poo winter driving. No mountains, so nobody comes up here really to ski. Thick woods, so snow machine riding is good but not crazy amounts of people and there is no real reason anybody who doesn't have to be here is here except the year-round residents who grew up with winter lasting until April.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

Same thing but rain in Florida.

HOLY poo poo ITS GENTLY RAINING I GUESS ILL PANIC BRAKE DOWN TO 30MPH IN THE LEFT LANE OF A 70MPH EXPRESSWAY AND TURN ON MY HAZARD LIGHTS IT HASNT DONE THIS IN LIKE NINE WHOLE MONTHS

Texas, too.

At least we have an excuse to be bewildered when it snows here. It only does it every 3 or so years, maybe, in anything resembling accumulation.
Also, it tends to snow a bit, melt, refreeze, then snow more on top of that, for the best surprise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Texas, too.

At least we have an excuse to be bewildered when it snows here. It only does it every 3 or so years, maybe, in anything resembling accumulation.
Also, it tends to snow a bit, melt, refreeze, then snow more on top of that, for the best surprise.

Yes, I was a DFW for one of those events. Mass loving hysteria, can't even get out of the airport to get to a hotel because of an inch of snow. It would have been comical if I weren't loving stuck there sleeping in the terminal overnight because of it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Tbh, it gets nearly that bad every goddamn winter when the first snow arrives here, and we basically have Minnesota weather. I'm just as baffled every year that people apparently forget how to drive in snow.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Snow sounds absolutely awful.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ili posted:

snow is only bad because of other drivers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ili posted:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

And the salt. gently caress road salt.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Edward IV posted:

And the salt. gently caress road salt.

The salt and its consequence is the worst. Even very well kept, newish, clean cars have rust-welded bolts and poo poo every drat where. I don't miss it one loving bit. Oh, and gently caress that goopy rear end undercoating poo poo straight to hell from whence it came.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Large Testicles posted:

Other drivers sound absolutely awful.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

El Jebus posted:

Other drivers sound absolutely awful.

True. driving in snow is a blast, especially at three in the morning in an old aircooled VW

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

PainterofCrap posted:

True. driving in snow is a blast, especially at three in the morning in an old aircooled VW

We used to go out to corn fields with 4wd vehicles and tow ropes and go flat land sledding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Large Testicles posted:

We used to go out to corn fields with 4wd vehicles and tow ropes and go flat land sledding

We did that on the road, at night, sometimes during storms.

Probably wasn't the best idea but nobody died so I guess good on us or something.