Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Archonex posted:

Oh my loving god what forum do you think you're on? This is not somethingpedantic.com.

I nominate this as the new thread title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USCE Autumn: Well Actually, This IS somethingpedantic.com

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Louisiana Senator John Kennedy is also considering resigning his seat to run for Governor of Louisiana in 2023. He said he will make an announcement this month. This is also unlikely to result in a major change in the Senate.

Very likely true, but I would note current Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards will need a job when term limits open the governorship.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

the other hand posted:

Setting aside other issues already pointed out, I found this to be a very helpful video on problems in reporting about fusion power advances. Every step forward is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4W1g-6JiY

Yes, the issues pointed out here are relevant to what Financial Times reported:

quote:

The fusion reaction at the US government facility produced about 2.5 megajoules of energy, which was about 120 per cent of the 2.1 megajoules of energy in the lasers, the people with knowledge of the results said, adding that the data was still being analysed.

As is often done in fusion research, they are comparing the energy output of the lasers to the energy production of the fusion reaction. Lasers take much more energy to run than they output as power. The system contains elements that use power other than the laser. The useful energy produced by a reactor as electricity is lower than the energy produced in the reactions happening inside it. Any one of these would mean that this isn't yet a design for a functional fusion reactor. Combine them together and add the requirement that a real reactor would need to run for decades, rather than damaging itself in a brief experiment as this one did, and you can see how much work still needs to be done.

I'm not claiming these aren't solvable problems, that this isn't an impressive step forward, or we shouldn't be happy to see progress. But it is one step out of many that are needed. Please do not assume that this announcement means fusion reactors of all things will save us from climate change, which is some real poo poo I've been seeing people say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do they have any theories as to how and why it damaged itself? That implies either the reaction power greatly exceeded predictions or there was a major flaw in the reactor design/construction

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

PeterWeller posted:

Pedantry is awful and thus falls under our purview.

This is fair. :v:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, the issues pointed out here are relevant to what Financial Times reported:

As is often done in fusion research, they are comparing the energy output of the lasers to the energy production of the fusion reaction. Lasers take much more energy to run than they output as power. The system contains elements that use power other than the laser. The useful energy produced by a reactor as electricity is lower than the energy produced in the reactions happening inside it. Any one of these would mean that this isn't yet a design for a functional fusion reactor. Combine them together and add the requirement that a real reactor would need to run for decades, rather than damaging itself in a brief experiment as this one did, and you can see how much work still needs to be done.

I'm not claiming these aren't solvable problems, that this isn't an impressive step forward, or we shouldn't be happy to see progress. But it is one step out of many that are needed. Please do not assume that this announcement means fusion reactors of all things will save us from climate change, which is some real poo poo I've been seeing people say.

Yeah, if they had a 20% increase that's definitely huge. But they also mentioned that their diagnostic equipment was damaged and running a reactor for commercial purposes for days on end with a turbine/whatever other commercial power generating ancillary equipment is an entirely beast than running it for thirty seconds or a minute or two in a lab with none of the extra accoutrements. There's still a long way to go regardless. Until I hear otherwise from peer review my money's on a diagnostic error just because people have been trying forever to get closer to the break-even on profitable fusion and no one has found a way to do it due to the physics involved.

Like, to put it in perspective there are articles from physicists researching this in 1970's expecting us to have had mass rollout of reactors in the 1990's and just lol at the optimism when you factor in everything else about fusion.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 12, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Do they have any theories as to how and why it damaged itself? That implies either the reaction power greatly exceeded predictions or there was a major flaw in the reactor design/construction

quote:

Two of the people with knowledge of the results said the energy output had been greater than expected, which had damaged some diagnostic equipment, complicating the analysis.

It's because they got more out than they expected, which doesn't necessarily imply a serious problem.

The fundamental issue, as I understand it, is that all of the various factors that aren't being included make the 2.5:2.1 ratio they're selling off by several orders of magnitude in the wrong direction if you want an actual power plant. It's a common way to discuss it in the field, but that's not often made clear in the reporting.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USCE Autumn: Well Actually, This IS somethingpedantic.com

Done

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bahamian authorities arrested Sam Bankman-Fried, the FTX scammer guy, on behalf of an indictment in the District of NY

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1602451395910803457?s=20&t=SBWbXJGCTXXqDamAHFh4Og

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bahamian authorities arrested Sam Bankman-Fried, the FTX scammer guy, on behalf of an indictment in the District of NY

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1602451395910803457?s=20&t=SBWbXJGCTXXqDamAHFh4Og

Literally two hours prior:

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1602454367268921344?s=46&t=-SfbN57rnx3hcmLY0Y927w

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't think hard enough fast enough.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Real "what are you gonna do, arrest me?" energy from SBF there.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Really looking forward to the miniseries for this one

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The government moving this fast is incredibly bad news for SBF. He’s mega-hosed. :stare:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NYT has the list of charges on SBF.

He's going to need a good plea deal to get less than 15 years.

Federal sentencing guidelines recommend close to the maximum penalty for wire fraud of over $100 million or over 250 victims.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1602469725669392384

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Federal sentencing guidelines require close to the maximum penalty for wire fraud of over $100 million or over 250 victims.

Why didn’t they charge him for his haircut? There has to be a statute that hair violates.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Federal sentencing guidelines recommend close to the maximum penalty for wire fraud of over $100 million or over 250 victims.

he definitely wasn't committing any wire fraud though

https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1602409901720014871

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it turns out the feds can spend months carefully building a case that someone had the requisite intent to commit wire fraud

or, you know, they could have written out "i know what wire fraud is, and i'm definitely doing it right now" while committing it

Segue
May 23, 2007

It just seems so insane to me that people are discussing sentencing in the very low double-digits for multi-billion dollar international fraud. Like Madoff got over a hundred years but probably because a bunch of powerful people got taken by him, I guess SBF was doing mostly rubes in an untested risky venture?

Still it really does put in perspective how money is just made up electronic banking sheets at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Segue posted:

It just seems so insane to me that people are discussing sentencing in the very low double-digits for multi-billion dollar international fraud. Like Madoff got over a hundred years but probably because a bunch of powerful people got taken by him, I guess SBF was doing mostly rubes in an untested risky venture?

Still it really does put in perspective how money is just made up electronic banking sheets at this point.

nobody is actually going and looking at the sentencing guidelines which i believe recommend a sentence that's basically life for this level of fraud

that said, white-collar defendants tend to get huge downward adjustments, holmes should have gone away for life according to the guidelines

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

If the probation is about the strike, I think that was a 24-hour thing and ended several days ago.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

nobody is actually going and looking at the sentencing guidelines which i believe recommend a sentence that's basically life for this level of fraud

that said, white-collar defendants tend to get huge downward adjustments, holmes should have gone away for life according to the guidelines

Taking a million people's life savings is somehow considered less threatening to society than breaking a window in a drugstore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Juul has agreed to pay millions in a settlement with Pennsylvania over youth e-cigarette marketing
Since 2014, more American teens have used e-cigarettes than any other tobacco product, according to the CDC.

quote:

Juul, the popular electronic cigarette manufacturer, has agreed to pay $38.8 million to Pennsylvania’s Department of Health as part of a settlement in a lawsuit over its marketing practices, brought by the state Attorney General’s office.

The settlement also bars the company from marketing its products to Pennsylvania youths, from placing billboards or other ads within 1,000 feet of a school or public playground, and from claiming in ads that Juul products are safer than traditional tobacco cigarettes, among other restrictions.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro, who is also Pennsylvania’s governor-elect, said in a statement that the company had “knowingly targeted young people with tactics similar to the tobacco companies’ playbook.”

This is a small fraction of the overall settlements made with a range of jurisdictions. In practice, a lot of the damage has been done; as intended, the e-cigarette industry now has a new generation of addicted consumers and a marketplace that's difficult to regulate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Clarste posted:

Taking a million people's life savings is somehow considered less threatening to society than breaking a window in a drugstore.

As long as it's just the life savings of the non-rich your lawyers have room to maneuver.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discendo Vox posted:

If the probation is about the strike, I think that was a 24-hour thing and ended several days ago.
lets trust leon knows what they probed leon for

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

World Famous W posted:

really giving leon a hell of a lot of credit here

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I think the two silver linings here is society collectively deciding to not listen to Matt Yglesias anymore and Ben Safdie's eventual Emmy win for playing SBF.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the two silver linings here is society collectively deciding to not listen to Matt Yglesias anymore and Ben Safdie's eventual Emmy win for playing SBF.

are we quite certain that they are not the same person

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

He can play him exactly the same as the brother in Good Time and it would work just fine

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Indiana Senator Mike Braun plans to run for Governor of Indiana and resign his Senate seat after 2024.

Seems very unlikely to make much of a difference in the Senate because a Democrat is unlikely to win and most potential Republican replacements will likely vote functionally the same.

Former Governor Mitch Daniels is said to be considering a run and may be slightly open to certain bipartisan votes, but that is more of a tactical difference than an ideological one.

The other likely candidates on the Republican side are Reps. Jim Banks and Victoria Spartz.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1602342659527524352

There isn't a single decent Republican here in Indiana. The only reason I tolerate Holcomb as our governor is because he's generally more moderate (and actually did a pretty okay job with dealing with COVID for a little while here) than any whackjobs that would be in line to take his spot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

He knows what he did.

Framboise posted:

There isn't a single decent Republican here in Indiana. The only reason I tolerate Holcomb as our governor is because he's generally more moderate (and actually did a pretty okay job with dealing with COVID for a little while here) than any whackjobs that would be in line to take his spot.

Mitch Daniels is theoretically an establishment Republican who cares more about business tax cuts than culture war issues compared to a generic Republican and is willing to make deals. That's more of a tactical difference than a big ideological difference, but Daniels is the only Republican I could see making even a slight difference one way or the other. The rest are all cookie cutter candidates.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

All the usual disclaimers:

- This is just one specific kind of cancer.
- This has only worked on a small number of people.
- Still in early stages.

etc.

But, they have created a second mRNA vaccine to fight cancer that appears to work. The first one was a few months ago and worked on a specific kind of colon cancer.

This one cuts the death or recurrence rate of melanoma skin cancer by almost half for people with stage 3 and stage 4 cancer.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1602675800750407682

quote:

An experimental personalized mRNA vaccine in combination with the immunotherapy Keytruda reduced the risk of recurrence or death from melanoma in patients who had already had surgery, Moderna and Merck said Tuesday.

The randomized trial included 157 patients with stage 3 or stage 4 melanoma who had already had surgery. Some patients received nine doses of the experimental cancer vaccine made by Moderna and the immunotherapy made by Merck every three weeks for about a year, and some received only the immunotherapy. Treatment with the experimental vaccine in combination with the immunotherapy reduced the risk of cancer recurrence or death by 44% compared with the immunotherapy alone, the companies said.

The preliminary results of a Phase 2b trial were shared in a news release and have not been peer-reviewed or published. The companies said they will publish the full data in the future and share results at an upcoming conference.

The companies said they will initiate a Phase 3 study in melanoma patients next year, and will study additional tumor types.

“Today’s results are highly encouraging for the field of cancer treatment. mRNA has been transformative for COVID-19, and now, for the first time ever, we have demonstrated the potential for mRNA to have an impact on outcomes in a randomized clinical trial in melanoma,” Stéphane Bancel, chief executive officer for Moderna, said in a news release. Moderna is the maker of one of the mRNA Covid-19 vaccines used in the United States.

Moderna and Merck said serious treatment-related adverse events occurred in 14.4% of patients who received the vaccine and immunotherapy in the trial, and in 10% of patients who received only the immunotherapy. Keytruda has some known risks for serious side effects, the companies said.

Moderna’s experimental cancer vaccine, mRNA-4157/V940, is designed to prime patients’ immune system to generate a response to their specific tumors. Merck’s Keytruda, which is already used in the treatment of melanoma, stimulates the immune system to attack tumors.

According to the American Cancer Society, melanoma accounts for about 1% of all skin cancers, but it causes a majority of skin cancer deaths. It estimates that in 2022, about 100,000 new melanomas will be diagnosed, and more than 7,600 people will die from melanoma.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sir Lemming posted:

To give (probably too much) benefit of the doubt, I can see how the logistics of ongoing payments might add too much long-term costs vs. using the existing tax return process, as troubled as that is.

That might well be a large part of it, especially since there was a whole thing with people having to report if they got the advance payments or not on their return (if you didn’t get the monthly part they added the missed payments to the refund) and there are a lot of people who were “LOL I dunno” about remembering if they got them, which caused a lot of IRS headaches processing and fixing those returns I imagine. Hell, there were a lot of people doing their returns who couldn’t remember if they got the third stimulus payments or not (mother FUCKERS, you can’t remember getting THOUSANDS of dollars less than a year later?!) so from a very cold blooded political perspective I can see the logic being “Why do the nicer thing if nobody remembers anyway?”.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-63950962

Energy positive fusion achieved, no more techs on the tech tree

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Auntie Beeb posted:

Despite the leap forward, Prof Chittenden told the BBC there is still a lot further to go until nuclear fusion could be used to power homes.

The experiment was only able to produce enough energy to boil about 10-15 kettles and required billions of dollars of investment. Mr Chittenden said: "If we want to get a power station [up and running], it may be that we have to perform these experiments once every second. And currently it's a day in between experiments".

And although the experiment got more energy out then the laser put in, this did not include the energy needed to make the lasers work - which was far greater that the amount of energy the hydrogen produced.

I'm sorry, Miriam still has a stranglehold on diplomatic negotiations when it comes to peace on Planet.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

FishBulbia posted:

quote:

The experiment was only able to produce enough energy to boil about 10-15 kettles

Leave it to the Brits to describe energy in units of "boiling kettles"

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
"In other words, this fusion breakthrough could propel a ball far enough for a field goal over a distance of 3 football fields"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We could boil .001% of an Olympic-sized swimming pool

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

FishBulbia posted:

quote:

And although the experiment got more energy out then the laser put in, this did not include the energy needed to make the lasers work - which was far greater that the amount of energy the hydrogen produced.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

We're still decades out, but its possible!! Good thing there is no imminent climate crisis :)