Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our condo building required a COI to secure a reservation on the loading dock

Every delivery company had no issue sending us the COI but yeah usually needed a day turnaround time to fax it to the hoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Motronic posted:

This is not even remotely universal in the US.

In a municipality that does not have the concept of contractor registration where they verify minimum liability insurance, etc the correct answer is above.

Wow, I had no idea. Good to know!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I previously saw the contractors record on Angie's list which I thought meant they were legit. (6 5 star reviews). I just yelped them, and holy poo poo.

-one lady had human poo on her roof when they were done. Owner's reply was basically "lol"
-someone got half the job they paid for with a promise for the rest to be done the next day. Never done. "I paid for it" "well I needed the money" "ok but I needed the work done"
-someone had a bad experience and complained to the BBB, they came back when the home owner was away and gouged up the rest of their trees.
-someone else asked for a trimming and got various shrubs/trees destroyed. Holy shitttttttt.

Edit: not to mention one person saying 'where is your license' and finding out it had expired. This was in 2018.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Has anyone successfully kept stray / outdoor cats out of their yard? What tips do you have?

Not cats specifically but I’ve used one of those motion activated sprinklers to defend my garden successfully. It died kinda fast though.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm guessing this is an obvious quick question but refuse to make assumptions just to be safe. Is this what is called double-wall gas vent? It looks like two walls with an air gap in between, but, again, not assuming anything.

Just for context, while our roof is being redone I was looking at everything up there and I can only find one vent for gas appliances (I found the plumbing stacks, bathroom exhausts, etc.), despite having a gas water heater and a gas furnace, so I started diving into can they share, and it turns out it all depends on type of furnace and water heater, specific types of piping needed, etc.).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

In Illinois at least, I've always seen gas furnaces vent out horizontally on the first floor, like this:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

In Illinois at least, I've always seen gas furnaces vent out horizontally on the first floor, like this:

That is for low temp exhaust. That water hearer is not low temp.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PageMaster posted:

I'm guessing this is an obvious quick question but refuse to make assumptions just to be safe. Is this what is called double-wall gas vent? It looks like two walls with an air gap in between, but, again, not assuming anything.

Just for context, while our roof is being redone I was looking at everything up there and I can only find one vent for gas appliances (I found the plumbing stacks, bathroom exhausts, etc.), despite having a gas water heater and a gas furnace, so I started diving into can they share, and it turns out it all depends on type of furnace and water heater, specific types of piping needed, etc.).
The more popular term I see for double walled venting is "B Vent" or "Type B Vent", which is the double wall standard. It comes in both round and oval, but I only have experience with the round stuff. An important thing to keep in mind is that B-Vent should NEVER be screwed through, aside from where it attaches to the furnace. If there are screws going through the vents then it is treated as single walled venting. There are a few different types from different manufacturers, but all B-venting is made to twist-lock together, so no screws should even be needed. However, installers are stupid and slow to change, so they usually put screws through everything because that's what you do with the old single walled vent pipes. What you should also have where the venting punctures through the ceiling sheetrock is a fireblock. Even though B-Vent is double walled, it still gets hot, and should not be touching anything around it.

Not all gas appliances need B-Vent, so Google the model number and find the installation manuals and look if it's specified. As for both venting out of the same exhaust...that's probably not kosher, but again, read the installation manuals. You might also want to look up what code says for your area.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Angie's List has gone to hell; they no longer review, or host user reviews. It's now just another online yellow pages.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Angie's List has gone to hell; they no longer review, or host user reviews. It's now just another online yellow pages.

It's worse, because they try to push you into a flow where they just sell your info to contractors.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That is for low temp exhaust. That water hearer is not low temp.

Yep. The poster mentioned only seeing one vent stack up at the roof for two gas appliances, water heater and furnace. I was saying I'd not expect a furnace exhaust to be routed vertically. That would leave one exhaust routed vertically, for the water heater, that they located.

I did not consider if he has a furnace in his attic. Uncommon but not unheard of.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 11, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks everyone. No idea on the exhaust vents and there's definitely not one on the side of the house so I guess time to pay a professional to figure it out.

Oh, and regarding the spacing around the vent pipes, I pulled out some photos during our initial repipe and there is a firestop(?) Like the flat metal plate with the hole through it Where it penetrates the floor above, so I might just need to clear some drywall around it in the picture.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

devicenull posted:

It's worse, because they try to push you into a flow where they just sell your info to contractors.
Yes
My Angie's list experience is the 2-3 contractors I liked not getting back with me ever and a bunch of lovely ones calling and spamming me.
Then I quit Angie's

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yes
My Angie's list experience is the 2-3 contractors I liked not getting back with me ever and a bunch of lovely ones calling and spamming me.
Then I quit Angie's

same

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I used Angie's List once early this year in a pinch. Never again. Lesson learned.

I guess it's just Angi now. I'm curious how much they paid their Brand executives to come up with that one.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Should be ang(r)i imo

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Is there a general goon preferred brand for standing shelves for a storage area?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not the answer youre seeking probably, but

- home-built
- heavy steel poo poo from an office built before 1995

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Jenkl posted:

Is there a general goon preferred brand for standing shelves for a storage area?

I have a set of these I really like, but I bought them back in the day when you could catch them on sale for 180-200 bucks. I don't think they're worth 350, but if you needed something quick they are sturdy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-4-Tier-Welded-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-77-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-GARS774XEG/206727800

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I need foot deep standing shelves for the pantry; does anybody have favorite brands?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jenkl posted:

The Whalen industrial shelves from Costco are the gold standard for me.
https://www.costco.com/whalen-industrial-rack%2c-77%e2%80%9d--x-24%e2%80%9d--x-72%e2%80%9d.product.100178373.html

They're usually $230 in store.

Sorry, I didn't read pantry. I instantly went to garage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verman posted:

The Whalen industrial shelves from Costco are the gold standard for me.
https://www.costco.com/whalen-industrial-rack%2c-77%e2%80%9d--x-24%e2%80%9d--x-72%e2%80%9d.product.100178373.html

They're usually $230 in store.

Sorry, I didn't read pantry. I instantly went to garage.

I wanted these but I was cheap and the cost per shelf square foot tipped me down to their stamped steel 5 shelf ones. If you're not in a hurry just wait until they're on sale, something like $65-75 I think. Cheaper for the same size as the Home Depot stamped ones with a little nicer details too. Doubled up verticals with hidden tabs vs open single tabs from home depot.

I have.... Too many of them. 6 I think, last time I counted I missed a couple. I had to slide them across the basement slab 20-30 feet and they moved easily unloaded. The shelves themselves are holding up nicely, no sags. The home depot one I have sags considerably, it's unsealed particle board. Vs the melamine shelves from the Costco ones.

The biggest drawback is you have to have a center shelf vertically, so the shelf height configuration is limited. They work best if you have a lot of identical tubs.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Not the answer youre seeking probably, but

- home-built
- heavy steel poo poo from an office built before 1995

You're right not my first choice but I'm open to building something if there aren't affordable options. Any recommendations for where to source plans?

And thanks for the recs everyone. The prices on these metal shelves are a bit of a shock, but not entirely unexpected.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jenkl posted:

You're right not my first choice but I'm open to building something if there aren't affordable options. Any recommendations for where to source plans?

And thanks for the recs everyone. The prices on these metal shelves are a bit of a shock, but not entirely unexpected.

These aren't as heavy duty but I've got a couple different sets of this type of wire shelving (HDX and another brand I can't remember) and I find them very useful and customizable: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-T...2PS-1/203846551 Also cheaper. Comes in various depths.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll say this. Costco was sold out of shelving and I decided to build my own garage shelving. With lumber prices, it cost me just as much as buying it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Lumber prices are nuts. I spent $100 on 2x2s for furring out a room

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

I was so, so certain that I was going to google that and come up with the world's greatest auto-correct misstep, only to learn that I am ignorant even though I've done it before.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
hopefully the wholesale price falling means some of that gets passed through shortly

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Vim Fuego posted:

I bought a few studs for a small wall last month and I was very relieved that it was down to $3.75 a stud. I paid over $6 when I built my shed, and I know that wasn't at the peak.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

hopefully the wholesale price falling means some of that gets passed through shortly

I'm fully expecting LoweDepot to just pocket the difference at this point, like every other goddamned profiteer during the pandemic.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah I had to pay between 7.50 and 12.00 for my studs (cad), most of it around 7.50. it was awful. I think it peaked around $15 per 8' 2x4.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

oh that's cute you think prices will come back down. CEOs are on record saying they have no intention of rolling back price increases even after costs are back down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

opengl posted:

oh that's cute you think prices will come back down. CEOs are on record saying they have no intention of rolling back price increases even after costs are back down.

Is the demand for wood that inelastic? There are a lot of people out there who are rapidly burning through covid savings and stimulus money, and eventually it's going to run out. That, plus the economy slowing, and other parts of it getting more expensive is going to mean people are less willing to spend $400 on lumber for some small bullshit weekend DIY.

I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, or quickly, but eventually they'll hit a point where they figure they can make more money selling more wood for a bit less.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

True I'm more coming at this from a consumer goods viewpoint.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I picked up these shelves from Uline for my garage and they have been great:
https://www.uline.com/BL_3867/Wide-Span-Storage-Racks-Particle-Board

AFAICT they are less expensive than the Costco wire shelves and come in a ton of different size configurations. While the particle board isn't my favorite, I don't think it won't get as dirty and clean easier than the wire shelves.

Looks like Uline has wire shelves as well as:
https://www.uline.com/Grp_263/Industrial-Wire-Shelving

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
But then you're giving the uhleins more money to fund regressive politics.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

But then you're giving the uhleins more money to fund regressive politics.

I thought this was a joke at first, but nope https://www.propublica.org/article/uline-uihlein-election-denial

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They dumped huge amounts of money into Illinois this last election and lost every single race and ballot measure they pushed lol

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

This is unfortunate news for a number of reasons, their trucks are easily available and affordable, and their cardboard is of sound quality. I may have to start looking elsewhere.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Inner Light posted:

This is unfortunate news for a number of reasons, their trucks are easily available and affordable, and their cardboard is of sound quality. I may have to start looking elsewhere.

I cannot personally vouch for this list, but it’s the one that’s been floating around https://theaestheticunion.com/uline-alternatives

edit: there’s also https://refuseuline.com/#manifesto

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 15, 2022