Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

RareAcumen posted:

what should I be doing to win TCG?

Here's some stuff I've worked out.

Tubby is great. If you don't have some other specific plan for a deck, just put in Tubby and a lot of land cards. Tubby costs 2 dice and lets you play a free land card on every turn, including the turn where you play Tubby. The benefit you get out of spending those two dice early on is massive. You can actually run into a problem where you run out of support spots, because you only get 4.

Most artifact hats are terrible. Saving one elemental die per turn is a very poor return on your investment. Lucky Dog hat is cool, though, it will activate when a summon attacks.

Minty meat lasts for an entire round. If you're using Paimon or resonance cards for extra energy, you can do 5-6 normal attacks in one round. This is nuts on any character holding a weapon, and it's also a good way to build up energy for a burst. It might be turbo busted on Noelle, I need to invite her and find out. It definitely works well on Yoimiya holding a sacrificial bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

FiftyFour posted:

I’d absolutely spend twenty on an alt outfit that made Qiqi look like an old school zombie.

Also I permanently have “Physical Qiqi” to the tune of Eleanor Rigby stuck in my head when she’s kicking much rear end while she’s healing the team. Is it a dream?

If by ‘old school zombie’ you mean a ‘western’ zombie then I’m afraid that isn’t going to happen.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Qiqi should hop like a chinese vampire

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Maxwell Adams posted:

Minty meat lasts for an entire round. If you're using Paimon or resonance cards for extra energy, you can do 5-6 normal attacks in one round. This is nuts on any character holding a weapon, and it's also a good way to build up energy for a burst. It might be turbo busted on Noelle, I need to invite her and find out. It definitely works well on Yoimiya holding a sacrificial bow.

Yeah, minty looks busted. I want to try Noelle with burst and Chong's field giving +1 NA damage, then stacking whatever reduction/dice generation will let me swing away. Diona for the main healing as well as Cryo resonance.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Maxwell Adams posted:

Tubby is great. If you don't have some other specific plan for a deck, just put in Tubby and a lot of land cards. Tubby costs 2 dice and lets you play a free land card on every turn, including the turn where you play Tubby. The benefit you get out of spending those two dice early on is massive. You can actually run into a problem where you run out of support spots, because you only get 4.

Most artifact hats are terrible. Saving one elemental die per turn is a very poor return on your investment. Lucky Dog hat is cool, though, it will activate when a summon attacks.

Artifact hats are at least as good as ellin, usually better, and lots of people are singing her praises.
Saving 1 die on every future turn is the difference between potentially taking 2 actions or 3

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My favorite part about NA abuse is how much neutral energy it uses. Yoimiya can literally one-tap wet enemies if Xingqiu's burst is up it's pretty hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ReVerve posted:

Some TCG chat for those that aren't into deckbuilding or whatever. Once I got this base shell running with a team, it has easily handled whats currently available and it's pretty simple to swap in new characters since the general strat is the same.

Teams I've used so far.
XQ, Mona, XL
Ganyu, Jean, Fischl/Keqing (Had to try Jean after seeing her gimmick)

2x Core Cards
Liyue Harbor Warf (draw)
Jade Chamber (mitigate rng)
Dawn Winery (cheap swap)
Katheryne (fast swap)
Ellin (skill use)
The Best Travel Companion (mitigate rng)
Strategize (draw)

5x Character Cards
5x Weapons
3x Artifacts (Luck/Instructor)

3x Flex/Sideboard (cards you sub in to counter a deck you know)
Calx Arts
Heals/Double element cards
Summon Removal

Starting Mulligan:
Go for JC, DW, Kat and Ellin or character skill.

The goal is to potentially have more than one character skill, attack or burst. Early turns should be a mix of setting up the cards to do that mixed with skill use based on board state.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I appreciate all the advice, I was honestly just asking about the invite characters that you need envelopes to choose. I'm not sure who's good to start with. I'm sure Rhodesia is great and I should unlock her soon as possible but I dunno about any of the playable named characters with unique cards.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Oh man, I hadn't really looked at Yoimiya. Her burst looks great and abusable for Chong. If only her real one could've been that way.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
go for keqing + collei imo, aggravate is a fun combination
seems like there are a lot of strong combos tho atm

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Use all 3 claymore boys for big hits!!! You don't really need a healer/shielder early on imo, and these challenges do have a 5 or 6 turn limit so just do a bunch of damage. You can just use the base claymore weapon card and have the childe card in your deck to swap it between them

I use collei and razor a lot also

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Qiqi should hop like a chinese vampire

Out of everything disappointing about Qiqi, this is the biggest one.

The lore bit that she does stretching to stave off her rigor mortis helps a bit, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hypercarry Noelle is solid. Once you're setup and pop your burst you can chew through the enemy team in a single turn. To the point where the other team members feel useless as anything beyond ablative armor. I have Ning there for the geo resonance cards and XQ because I figured he at least adds something to normal attacks but frankly he isn't needed.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Eimi posted:

Hypercarry Noelle is solid. Once you're setup and pop your burst you can chew through the enemy team in a single turn. To the point where the other team members feel useless as anything beyond ablative armor. I have Ning there for the geo resonance cards and XQ because I figured he at least adds something to normal attacks but frankly he isn't needed.

Or you face chef mao's stage and she gets owned by vaporize right as her burst goes off and you barely eke out a win.

But yeah, gravestone petra noelle is great otherwise. Absolutely tears through things once she's running.

I do need to figure out what to do with ayaka next. She probably wants xingqiu to make everyone else's life miserable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zenostein posted:

Or you face chef mao's stage and she gets owned by vaporize right as her burst goes off and you barely eke out a win.

But yeah, gravestone petra noelle is great otherwise. Absolutely tears through things once she's running.

I do need to figure out what to do with ayaka next. She probably wants xingqiu to make everyone else's life miserable.

I run Ayaka/Keqing/Ganyu, it's a great team. You threaten so much damage constantly, so much of it is aoe, I love it.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Captain France posted:

Out of everything disappointing about Qiqi, this is the biggest one.

The lore bit that she does stretching to stave off her rigor mortis helps a bit, though.

Literally every single depiction of jiangshi in modern media I've seen that move around normally always have that exact same handwave: they always do tai chi in the morning.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

more small girls with huge weapons please

fake edit: actually why does this game have so many small girls playable but no small boys???

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
it sure is an interesting time in this community to placidly watch people have fun and be like “i’m happy for y’all” because card games aren’t your thing

Nyaawn posted:

no small boys???
same reason why all male dps units will forever be balanced and not meta-shifting

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

*cries in Kazuha*

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

MNSNTZR posted:

it sure is an interesting time in this community to placidly watch people have fun and be like “i’m happy for y’all” because card games aren’t your thing

i like playing card games but dislike talking about card games. in the wise words of lit, i am my own worst enemy

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I will do anything for primos

but I won't do that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MNSNTZR posted:

same reason why all male dps units will forever be balanced and not meta-shifting
tartaglia is probably like the 4th best dps unit in the game?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Zenostein posted:

I've been using Ayaka a lot, it seems like her strongest team is her + 2 pyros. Fatui Pyro Guy works great with her, if you give him his character card he can apply pyro with normal attacks. Then you swap to Ayaka and melt her normal attack.

The strong pyro resonance card adds +3 damage to the next pyro reaction. You can play that card on anyone who is about to do melt damage.

Other than Fatui Pyro Guy, it seems like the other pyro unit can be pretty much anybody. Bennet probably works well there, I really should have picked him up.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Nyaawn posted:

fake edit: actually why does this game have so many small girls playable but no small boys???

luka's coming eventually :unsmith:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Do you mean Mika? He's definitely a precious cinnamon bun, but I think they meant Klee-size

Kale
May 14, 2010

Garrand posted:

Most of the card art is whatever but I really love this one

The Godzilla thing is definitely Jean

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

gandlethorpe posted:

Do you mean Mika? He's definitely a precious cinnamon bun, but I think they meant Klee-size

Yes I did. I do not know where I got the name Luka from, lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Playable timmie when

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Nyaawn posted:

Playable timmie when

When everyone stops scaring the birds away. And don't even talk about the people that kill the birds.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for the newbie rear end question, is the TCG a temporary thing or a permanent feature?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The TCG is a permanent new feature. AFAIK there are no major ingame rewards tied to it though so you can go at your own pace or ignore it if you hate cards.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No I love it

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Nyaawn posted:

Playable timmie when

Maxwells Demon posted:

When everyone stops scaring the birds away. And don't even talk about the people that kill the birds.

Diluc's firebird + Timmie's pigeons = KFC bucket

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This week's duellist XP has been precisely tuned so you'll wind up 70 short of rank 7. Again. Sometimes Hoyo are a little bit too good at their jobs.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I will do anything for primos

but I won't do that

having fun with theater mechanicus until they made it truly bad the next two times

Endorph posted:

tartaglia is probably like the 4th best dps unit in the game?

people keep saying this, but i’ve had c1 childe since the first rerun and my brand new hypercarries consistently outdo him. hell, i think my eula out-dpses him. i do have some very fat artifacts for wanderer and cyno though, so it’s almost guaranteed he’s badly built

maybe childe came before i started caring about the effort it takes to make non-support males fun and good at the same time

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MNSNTZR posted:

having fun with theater mechanicus until they made it truly bad the next two times

people keep saying this, but i’ve had c1 childe since the first rerun and my brand new hypercarries consistently outdo him. hell, i think my eula out-dpses him. i do have some very fat artifacts for wanderer and cyno though, so it’s almost guaranteed he’s badly built

maybe childe came before i started caring about the effort it takes to make non-support males fun and good at the same time

He's got very tight rotation requirements to reach his highs from what I've read.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MNSNTZR posted:

Yeah, there's literally no scenario in which a Eula is outdamaging a Childe in their proper teams because Childe teams are just hyper reaction damage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MNSNTZR posted:

Your experience is totally in-line with spreadsheets and theorycrafting and my own experience.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tae posted:

Yeah, there's literally no scenario in which a Eula is outdamaging a Childe in their proper teams because Childe teams are just hyper reaction damage.

:wrong:

Just poking at the uploaded teams on gcsim tartaglia does around 40-45% of the damage in his best team, International, (with an equal or greater amount of damage done by xiangling) while Eula does mostly ~70% of the total team damage in her superconduct teams. (But there are a ton of different ones, IDK if one is 'the best' or what.)

Comparing the raw numbers eula's personal damage is like 50% higher than childe's, although childe teams also use xiangling so they have higher total DPS. Plus they don't get giga owned by enemies with physical res or enemies that teleport away before your sword explodes.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 13, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The sheer amount of skill downtime on childe is nutso when you consider every skill burst proc dps that has come after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Just poking at the uploaded teams on gcsim tartaglia does around 40-45% of the damage in his best team, International, (with an equal or greater amount of damage done by xiangling) while Eula does mostly ~70% of the total team damage in her superconduct teams. (But there are a ton of different ones, IDK if one is 'the best' or what.)

Comparing the raw numbers eula's personal damage is like 50% higher than childe's, although childe teams also use xiangling so they have higher total DPS. Plus they don't get giga owned by enemies with physical res or enemies that teleport away before your sword explodes.

I don't know if it makes sense to judge characters like that though. Eula would love to have supports that do more damage, she just can't while also fulfilling her own requirements. Meanwhile Xiangling is doing a lot of damage, but Childe's providing all the water.

I wonder what normal team has the highest share of personal damage. Maybe Itto mono-Geo?