Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Aw, they're just like little people, aren't they?

Depends how large they are I suppose, but I've never really thought of breasts as people

E: boobsnypa :mamacita:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mourning Due posted:

My wife & I are having our first long vacation (two weeks back with my family in Canada) since getting a cat, and I have to ask:

How do people cope? 😭 Feel like we're abandoning her. We've got a local pet sitter coming in 2x a day to feed her, the neighbours have agreed to stop in every night to play with her, and one of my wife's colleagues is going to come live & work from the house 18-21st and 23-27th...

But we still feel like we're doing something awful leaving her here like this. We spend so much time together, worried she'll get lonely without at least one of us here.

Going to just get on with it, 2 weeks is a short time and everything will be fine. But still feels like the height of cruelty to not be able to tell her what's happening 😆

Cat tax: her right now, curled up on our bed, where she likes to sleep if we're in it.

How old is she? If she's young she'll be fine.

I was gutted to have to leave my elderly (17 yr old cat) alone for the first time in a year for what was supposed to be 2 weeks and turned into 3 because of trouble in Cairo. It wasn't a holiday I had to return to the UK for unavoidable reasons otherwise I never would have left her.
My friend went in twice a day to feed her (I paid her to do it - I far rather have it as a 'contractual' arrangement instead of favours because I have well-meaning friends who said they would but I knew that when they'd looked after other peoples' cats they sometimes forgot for several days in a row and my girly just would not have survived.) As it was my girly only survived a week after I returned but at least I was there when she passed unlike my boy who died while I was away a year before.

I think she had a touch of dementia, sometimes she would cry in the night as if she was lost and didn't know where she was. My friend said that when I didn't come back after the two weeks (my family were begging me not to return at all so I gave them a week - it was around the time of the 'not a coup'), she went really downhill.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rail strikes: Students frustrated by Christmas walk-outs

I like how hard BBC worked to bury this bit, yet despite that and the scarequotes it still sounds eminently "huh yeah I guess they have a point".

bbc posted:

Union official Steven Skelly said they had rejected offers as they were "below inflation and involve huge cuts to jobs", adding that they would also result in "dramatic changes" to terms and conditions of employment.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The hell timeline now is that Keith wins an absolutely gigantic majority and then spends 5 years doing precisely gently caress all with it to even make the tiniest changes to how this country is run

https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1602650712927789058

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

smellmycheese posted:

The hell timeline now is that Keith wins an absolutely gigantic majority and then spends 5 years doing precisely gently caress all with it to even make the tiniest changes to how this country is run

https://twitter.com/HuffPostUK/status/1602650712927789058
I'm sure he could institute some manner of social credit system in five years.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gort posted:

Cats are solitary creatures

It's more complex than that, and really depends on the individual. They're not pack animals but cats can and do form social bonds, and some stray cats live in groups, usually a small number of cooperating females.

It's hard to say how that extends to bonds with their humans, but studies have suggested that they see people as a source of comfort and security and do form bonds with us.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1602633353383084032

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCygYiqShAs

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Poor guy clearly didn't get any PPE contracts huh.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mourning Due posted:

My wife & I are having our first long vacation (two weeks back with my family in Canada) since getting a cat, and I have to ask:

How do people cope? 😭 Feel like we're abandoning her. We've got a local pet sitter coming in 2x a day to feed her, the neighbours have agreed to stop in every night to play with her, and one of my wife's colleagues is going to come live & work from the house 18-21st and 23-27th...

But we still feel like we're doing something awful leaving her here like this. We spend so much time together, worried she'll get lonely without at least one of us here.

Going to just get on with it, 2 weeks is a short time and everything will be fine. But still feels like the height of cruelty to not be able to tell her what's happening 😆

As someone who was partly involved with a cattery/cat feeding business, I think we'd generally only do one feed a day and I doubt there was much playing or house-stting arrangements. I'm sure she'll be very stimulated and when you get back you'll either get "yay you're back" or "ugh more hooman petting"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Re: Cat chat.

They vary, massively. Just like people. They have mental health, anxiety, sadness, loneliness, happiness, joy, excitement etc. The whole range of emotions.

Yes they're not exactly smart, but they feel, and have emotions and memory. They'll miss you, but they'll also be fine most likely especially with someone checking in regularly to play and spend time with them.

I had one cat who never recovered from us travelling with her, and another that is only happy when travelling now!

I have two cats with separation anxiety who become entirely despondent when I leave or my partner does and start howling at each door and bathroom in the house to try to find me.

When one of my cats passed away, her partner didn't notice for a while... Then he started looking for her and it broke me. He'd climb into places he'd never been and start meowing inside the coat rack. He'd leave my office and then suddenly scamper back inside to her spot and look. He then started sleeping in her old spots and sleeping way more. You'd call it depression if they were human. I think he just knew something had changed and wanted it back.

When we got another cat we had her separated in the conservatory he SUDDENLY perked up, and was so excited. He started howling to be let in and the screech stop when he realised it wasn't her was just wrenchingly sad.

Yeah we anthropomorphise them, think they have thoughts they don't and prescribe motivations to them that they can't possibly hold... plus nearly nobody understands how to train them properly! But I've had cats my whole life and they're quite a lot deeper than most want to admit. All animals are, really.

Miss my Broshka =(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Poor guy clearly didn't get any PPE contracts huh.

He somehow managed to go bankrupt after backing Brexit. So a oval office for ideological reasons rather than for financial reasons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
truly, you'd have to be staggeringly financially incompetent to go bankrupt in the economic wonderland we call post-Brexit Britain

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"I booked a return ticket for today. I assumed they would only sell this ticket if I could actually get back to where I need to go. I come here today and I go to the platform and I look around and there’s no train. The train was scheduled for platform 5 but, with 10 minutes to go, there was still no train."

BUT THERES NOT A TRAIN, JEREMYYY CWURMTOORRRBBYYYNNN

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Diet Crack posted:

"I booked a return ticket for today. I assumed they would only sell this ticket if I could actually get back to where I need to go. I come here today and I go to the platform and I look around and there’s no train. The train was scheduled for platform 5 but, with 10 minutes to go, there was still no train."

Welcome to absent train world, Winston.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f0816e812eee97d

quote:

In an unrelated development – or perhaps not unrelated; Rishi Sunak is clearly hoping that Labour will vote against his proposed new asylum law next year, and that it will function as a wedge issue, with Keir Starmer on one side and a majority of voters on the other – the polling company Savanta has published the results of an MPR poll suggesting that Labour is on course for a 314-seat majority. Yes, that is right; not 314 seats, but a majority of 314.

Sunak the wedgehog

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Starmer reluctantly votes for it, but says it doesn't go far enough.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's still time to switch Sunak to a fresh face who can lead Tories to victory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

This is why No-one Wants To Work Anymore - the entire tail end of the year is taken up with War Christmas and then straight into Commercial Christmas. It's hard to get a clear day's work in

"commercial christmas" starts in loving october anyway, hell we started a couple of promos in august because they were trying to get around the HFSS legislation refits that everyone was doing between summer and autumn.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I read that as

Nenonen posted:

There's still time to switch to Sunak, a fresh face who can lead Tories to victory.

and just thought "yeah, announcing Sunak as the new PM just before the election, sounds about right"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bobstar posted:

I read that as

and just thought "yeah, announcing Sunak as the new PM just before the election, sounds about right"

:hai: But I was thinking of Boris, of course. At this point he would be a nostalgic figure from two PM's and one monarch prior.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

sebzilla posted:

Welcome to absent brain world, Winston.

Fixed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I very rarely have cause to use trains and even I know that isn't how trains work.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nenonen posted:

:hai: But I was thinking of Boris, of course. At this point he would be a nostalgic figure from two PM's and one monarch prior.

Don’t put it past them to try this if it really does look like a wipeout

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We took our cat in as a stray (well pretty sure she was a stray as you could see her ribs and pelvis). She's very sweet friendly but every few nights she'll wake up, start howling mournfully, and then come charging into our room and immediately calm down. I'm convinced she's having a nightmare of her time on the streets or her previous owner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No snow here but lots of freezing fog

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So I got back the results of a sleep study I did in august (referred this time last year) and apparently I have ‘very severe’ sleep apnea- I stop breathing over 70 times an hour while sleeping. They’re fitting me with a cpap system asap (so probably next June at this rate..)- anyone got any input on how they are to wear, what sort of changes I should expect etc?

And on the topic of feline mental health, we are convinced that Digby our Maine coon is autistic. He can’t seem to ‘speak’ cat, he adores repetitive actions (he was thwacking a cardboard flap for half an hour last night), he’s very emotionally ’extra’. I mean, it really is as if he’s my feline offspring- over bred, blond, autistic, super hairy, suffers from IBS…

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A lot of cats end up with a unique language, because they only meow for our benefit, they don't do it at each other in the wild.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why they're like 'mew mew' to me and then switch instantly to a noise like an air raid siren made of barnyard sounds the second they see a strange cat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

A friend of mine lives in his constituency. She always calls him "Absent Adam"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

I'm convinced she's having a nightmare of her time on the streets or her previous owner.
Our dog does this as well, he barks in his sleep while his legs twitch, and when he wakes up (or we wake him up by calling his name) he looks around, licks his lips nervously, and as soon as he sees us his tail goes bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHeW22FEoGw

He also howls in his sleep sometimes (not full throated, but a low mournful howl) which is adorable, but canines only really howl to signal to their pack that they're in distress, so it does worry me.

He was a stray before we had him and don't know any more than that (although he was also house trained, so we think he escaped from an owner or was abandoned and then lived on the streets for a while).

It's sad thinking of him having dreams about that time; he has a jagged scar on his nose, so either he got attacked by a bigger dog, or an evil dog wizard tried to kill him before he could put an end to her prophesied transphobic empire.

Mebh posted:

When one of my cats passed away, her partner didn't notice for a while... Then he started looking for her and it broke me. He'd climb into places he'd never been and start meowing inside the coat rack. He'd leave my office and then suddenly scamper back inside to her spot and look. He then started sleeping in her old spots and sleeping way more. You'd call it depression if they were human. I think he just knew something had changed and wanted it back.
Cats/dogs and small children don't really cognitively register a difference between 'dead,' 'does not exist,' and 'gone.' When my wife had to go on a training course in Cambridge for a week the boy kept bringing me her socks and then looking at me like "where human?"

The worst was when I got back from the first walk, and he bolted into the house and ran to her spot on the couch, then ran upstairs to see if she was having a nap, then came back downstairs looking visibly deflated.

He went nuts when she eventually got back, but then he goes equally nuts when I get back from the shops or she gets back from work or going to her gran's.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He also howls in his sleep sometimes (not full throated, but a low mournful howl) which is adorable, but canines only really howl to signal to their pack that they're in distress, so it does worry me.

Thassa load of bollocks imo. Our lil guy sits in the window like an ornament all afternoon and mounrfully howls at any other dogs that walk by - she's just saying "hello, but also this is my spot so don't get any ideas". I'm pretty sure she's not in distress, cause she doesn't otherwise move unless I'm offering her cheese.

She also does have a poor sense of time, but the level of joyful freakout definitely ramps up when my wife's gone 3 days rather than 15 mins. You can tell by the noises and the way she wees on the floor (probably still talking about the dog there)

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 13, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What sounds do wild canines make at cheese in their natural habitat? Give me grant money to find out!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

What sounds do wild canines make at cheese in their natural habitat? Give me grant money to find out!

We need to create one of those cheese-rolling steeplechase events but for dogs. They'd be way better at it than people anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All those 'wacky' hybrid sports finally culminate in the sheepdog trial/cheese rolling mashup.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Extra grant funding is now needed after we accidentally trained a bunch of wolves to hunt people for cheese.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Is the extra grant money to give cheese to the Tories?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I shall be domesticated by the wolves to open doors and facilitate larger cheese heists.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol, mystery solved:

https://twitter.com/iucounu/status/1602672275689447424?s=46&t=wOcI-bt9db0mYuJZhKUUTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001