Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is why I’m really hoping Paldea gets its own season rather than being slotted into the Journeys mix (the characters in this game are just too good to be sidelined like that). Ash I can take or leave but at least give me that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m guessing Penny is the secret bad guy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

I’m guessing Penny is the secret bad guy

Have you finished SV yet?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Obviously the speed at which you progress through school correlates inversely with how much time you spend loving off and doing battles. Nemona will be in high school til she's 40.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think it's hilarious when Arven, or Nemona show up in art class because you're already pushing the size requirement for those little desks and they're like adults in tiny chairs.

Profssor Gibble, I understand they're right sized for you but the rest of us need more chairs.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Flopsy posted:

I find it kinda hilarious/horrifying some of the sandwiches in this game actually sound kind of delicious while others are some of the most batshit insane combinations I've ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. Like I can guarantee you the Master Tower sandwich will make you poo poo yourself to death and I'm sure some YouTuber is going to try and make it mark my words.

I know I’ve made something like the ultra hefty sandwich while drunk before

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Larryb posted:

Hell, as far as the games go I wouldn’t mind a full fledged SV2 either. This is probably one of the best all around supporting casts we’ve had in a little while and I want to see more of them

People are always complaining itt that Sun/Moon 2 ruined the story or w/e, do you really want them to retroactively change the story like they did then? I think the story in SV is probably the best they're done in any game so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hammerite posted:

People are always complaining itt that Sun/Moon 2 ruined the story or w/e, do you really want them to retroactively change the story like they did then? I think the story in SV is probably the best they're done in any game so far.

Ultra Sun/Moon was just a remake, I was thinking more along the lines of a full fledged sequel like what Black & White got

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hammerite posted:

...I think the story in SV is probably the best they're done in any game so far.

I totally agree. The twist in the story was actually quite surprising and interesting.

The professor reveal

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think the DLC will serve as a sequel in some respects; they’ve built a bunch of hooks into the base game, it sold really well, and there are a handful of tiny things you can do in postgame (like hang out in your buddies’ dorm rooms) that are just begging to be expanded upon

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

I totally agree. The twist in the story was actually quite surprising and interesting.

The professor reveal

i was suspicious the moment I noticed a professor not named after some kind of plant, but given the breadth of changes in the game I wasn’t about to second guess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Larryb posted:

Have you finished SV yet?

no I’m 3 gyms and 2 bases in

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think the DLC will serve as a sequel in some respects; they’ve built a bunch of hooks into the base game, it sold really well, and there are a handful of tiny things you can do in postgame (like hang out in your buddies’ dorm rooms) that are just begging to be expanded upon

There's a lot of tantalizing little hints for the DLC but all I can say for sure is it's going to involve the thing that lives at the bottom of Area Zero.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think my favorite twist was Clavell doing all the hallmark shady remarks of a secret villain and muscling in on the Starfall Street plot and making you think he's up to something dodgy, only to completely shatter that image the first time you roll up to a Team Star camp and get the full Buscemi.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think my favorite twist was Clavell doing all the hallmark shady remarks of a secret villain and muscling in on the Starfall Street plot and making you think he's up to something dodgy, only to completely shatter that image the first time you roll up to a Team Star camp and get the full Buscemi.

The twist being Clavell is in fact the actual professor of the game. He's named after a flower and even tells you later on he did work as a Pokemon professor before taking up the mantle of director. His office still has the design and hallmarks of his original lab. Sada/Turo were red herrings from the word go and I kinda love it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

indigi posted:

you should be able to summon them to do raids with or at the union circle for battles

This is something that was sorely missing from SwoShi as well. You got all these trainer cards of people you met, and even upgraded some cards, but they don’t have any added function. Having the upgraded trainer cards should have allowed you to call that trainer into a raid battle. And your own trainer card should have been usable as your online avatar. Like, why did I have to pick a generic NPC icon as an avatar when I have a specially created card I made of my character?

Trainer cards were pretty cool, but they really could’ve been utilized more.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Ultra Sun/Moon was just a remake, I was thinking more along the lines of a full fledged sequel like what Black & White got

Agreed. I would love if they did a proper sequel again. Sequels are superior to remakes because they allow room for improvements on the original game, while still feeling like you’re playing a new game instead of the old one a second time.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Flopsy posted:

The twist being Clavell is in fact the actual professor of the game. He's named after a flower and even tells you later on he did work as a Pokemon professor before taking up the mantle of director. His office still has the design and hallmarks of his original lab. Sada/Turo were red herrings from the word go and I kinda love it.

I think the actual actual professor is Mr. Jacq, since that's an actual tree

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When they inevitably remake black and white do you think they'll like release one that has black and black 2 or will they have one that has black and white and then a second game that has black 2 and white 2 OR will they just do 4 remakes

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver could also be fun remakes to be bundled together

FireHeart/GreenSoul, if you will.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they didnt even put plat into diamond and pearl so im going with they will do just bw1 and ignore 2 exists

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Which game was it that after you finished you could go back to the previous game’s region and do more gyms etc? I can’t remember if that was HGSS or RSE

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Four releases, each with two games; pokémon Vantablack (Black and Black 2), pokémon Zebra (Black and White 2), pokémon Penguin (White and Black 2), and pokémon Romney (White and White 2).

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Which game was it that after you finished you could go back to the previous game’s region and do more gyms etc? I can’t remember if that was HGSS or RSE

GSC, and consequently HGSS

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver could also be fun remakes to be bundled together

FireHeart/GreenSoul, if you will.

Just connect all the regions together and release an absolute tome of a game. You’ve collected 59 badges and switched identities at least six times. You have nine moms who keep giving you Pokédex after Pokédex. You are so so tired.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Flopsy posted:

Oh my God I never knew they could do this and now I love them even more.
https://twitter.com/soulsilverart/status/1601261662786682881

Wait, so they only do these animations in the Team Star bases specifically?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Where’s the best place to look at competitive Pokémon loadouts? I reset all my EVs on my shinies but don’t want to EV train them yet until I see some examples.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Just connect all the regions together and release an absolute tome of a game. You’ve collected 59 badges and switched identities at least six times. You have nine moms who keep giving you Pokédex after Pokédex. You are so so tired.

Johto Mom keeps spending your money on apricorn ball auctions but it's never the one you actually want, and Kurt's back still hasn't healed enough for him to produce them en masse :argh:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Desperate Character posted:

Where’s the best place to look at competitive Pokémon loadouts? I reset all my EVs on my shinies but don’t want to EV train them yet until I see some examples.

In the past I used https://www.pikalytics.com/, but it seems like it is not fully updated to the new game yet and is missing information.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

:havlat: Edit: One extremely lucky Terra Raid later! :havlat:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 13, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Flopsy posted:

I've come to notice that almost every character is named after a plant. After digging a bit into bulbapedia:

Katy -> obvious association with katydids because she's a bug type trainer, but her Japanese name is Kaede, which means maple.
Brassius -> brassicas, like broccoli, kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc
Iono -> both her English and Japanese names are puns on "I dunno" as well as references to names for the Chinese fringetree
Kofu -> both English and Japanese names refer to kelp
Larry -> I thought Larry was just... Larry, because that would be funny as a normal everydude, but nah, his Japanese name is Aoki which means laurel, and laurel -> Larry.
Tulip -> obvious
Ryme -> possibly a pun on lime? But also a pun on rhyme and rime ('cause she's in the cold mountains after all).
Grusha -> Russian for pear

Mela -> melocotón is Spanish for peach
Atticus -> Japanese name is Shumei, short for shumeigiku (a type of anemone), and English possibly a play on hepatica (buttercup family). idk man this one feels like a stretch to me
Giacomo -> Japanese name is Pinya (Pińa) for pineapple. English refers to "ananas comosus" which also feels like a bit of a stretch
Ortega -> Spanish for nettle
Eri -> Japanese name is biwa (loquat), whose scientific name is Eriobotrya japonica

Arven -> Japanese name is Pepper; scientific name mentha arvensis for a wild mint.
Penny -> Japanese name is Botan (peony)
Nemona -> refers to "Nemophila" which is some kinda flower I guess

Clavell -> Spanish word clavel = carnation
Jacq -> Japanese name is Zinnia; scientific name Zinnia elegans Jacq
Dendra -> Japanese name is Kihada (cork tree); English name probably a play on scientific name Phellodendron amurense
Miriam -> Japanese name is mimosa, English name probably a play on that
Saguaro -> that be a cactus
Raifort -> French for horseradish
Salvatore -> Japanese name is Sage, English is probably a play on salvia (Spanish for sage)
Tyme -> thyme

Rika -> Japanese name is Chili, English name is a play on paprika
Poppy -> obvious
Hassel -> Japanese name is Hassaku, which is some kinda orange; English name is a play on that
Geeta -> Japanese name is Omodaka (threeleaf arrowhead), scientific name is Sagittaria, likely where English name is pulled from

Sada -> Japanese name is Olim, which I guess is Latin for "once upon a time", English name comes for Spanish word for past (pasada)
Turo -> Japanese name is Futu, Spanish word for future is futuro (where the English name is also pulled from)

I suppose that Sada and Turo not being named after plants should kind of be a tell that something is different about them.

I pulled all of the above from bulbapedia so if any of it's wrong, it's not on me. :v:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
"Mera mera" is the onomatopoeia for fire burning in Japanese. Mela is the fire type leader, so there's that too

Also kinda bothered me that Tyme wasn't the history professor.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 13, 2022

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Desperate Character posted:

apologies in advance for not answering your q but I love that this is just a thing you can just go and do now for your favorite monster bros vs the struggle back in the day

Im very fond of Gen 9, warts and all

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Ryme is sisters with Tyme so you also have a "rhyme time" pun.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Ryme is sisters with Tyme so you also have a "rhyme time" pun.

Sure, but just make her the history teacher instead

Unless we're supposed to be learning our Tymes table. Then it's ok.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Wait, so they only do these animations in the Team Star bases specifically?

Apparently which really is a waste because when you're running through there's no way in hell you're paying attention to idle animations. These would've been better used at the picnics.

Framboise posted:

I've come to notice that almost every character is named after a plant. After digging a bit into bulbapedia:

Katy -> obvious association with katydids because she's a bug type trainer, but her Japanese name is Kaede, which means maple.
Brassius -> brassicas, like broccoli, kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc
Iono -> both her English and Japanese names are puns on "I dunno" as well as references to names for the Chinese fringetree
Kofu -> both English and Japanese names refer to kelp
Larry -> I thought Larry was just... Larry, because that would be funny as a normal everydude, but nah, his Japanese name is Aoki which means laurel, and laurel -> Larry.
Tulip -> obvious
Ryme -> possibly a pun on lime? But also a pun on rhyme and rime ('cause she's in the cold mountains after all).
Grusha -> Russian for pear

Mela -> melocotón is Spanish for peach
Atticus -> Japanese name is Shumei, short for shumeigiku (a type of anemone), and English possibly a play on hepatica (buttercup family). idk man this one feels like a stretch to me
Giacomo -> Japanese name is Pinya (Pińa) for pineapple. English refers to "ananas comosus" which also feels like a bit of a stretch
Ortega -> Spanish for nettle
Eri -> Japanese name is biwa (loquat), whose scientific name is Eriobotrya japonica

Arven -> Japanese name is Pepper; scientific name mentha arvensis for a wild mint.
Penny -> Japanese name is Botan (peony)
Nemona -> refers to "Nemophila" which is some kinda flower I guess

Clavell -> Spanish word clavel = carnation
Jacq -> Japanese name is Zinnia; scientific name Zinnia elegans Jacq
Dendra -> Japanese name is Kihada (cork tree); English name probably a play on scientific name Phellodendron amurense
Miriam -> Japanese name is mimosa, English name probably a play on that
Saguaro -> that be a cactus
Raifort -> French for horseradish
Salvatore -> Japanese name is Sage, English is probably a play on salvia (Spanish for sage)
Tyme -> thyme

Rika -> Japanese name is Chili, English name is a play on paprika
Poppy -> obvious
Hassel -> Japanese name is Hassaku, which is some kinda orange; English name is a play on that
Geeta -> Japanese name is Omodaka (threeleaf arrowhead), scientific name is Sagittaria, likely where English name is pulled from

Sada -> Japanese name is Olim, which I guess is Latin for "once upon a time", English name comes for Spanish word for past (pasada)
Turo -> Japanese name is Futu, Spanish word for future is futuro (where the English name is also pulled from)

I suppose that Sada and Turo not being named after plants should kind of be a tell that something is different about them.

I pulled all of the above from bulbapedia so if any of it's wrong, it's not on me. :v:

This is a Pokemon thing in general. A LOT of characters in the series have some sort of name reference to plants. I think it really started kicking into high gear in around gen 6 but I could be wrong.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Apparently which really is a waste because when you're running through there's no way in hell you're paying attention to idle animations. These would've been better used at the picnics.

This is a Pokemon thing in general. A LOT of characters in the series have some sort of name reference to plants. I think it really started kicking into high gear in around gen 6 but I could be wrong.

It kicked into high gear in the English version in Gen 6, but this was always the case in Japanese.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

gen 5 was when they started getting serious about consistency in localization and I believe when they started doing simultaneous releases, so it makes sense from then on you’d see localized names that were derived together—English often uses the Spanish localization in SV, for example, regardless of whichever came first—and a more concerted effort to make all the localized names hang together

in fact, global communication was a major theme of gen 5 so you can see why that’s when it started; there’s the big in-game UN where you can gradually fill out a map based on which irl nations your trade partners were from, GTS, Pokémon Global Link, and a handful of other gestures toward that

Pokémon kicks rear end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Idol animations" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
some of those are kind of a stretch

Like, Mela obviously comes from mela, the Italian word for apple. Look at her hair! Her hair's not a peach!