Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Film4 is now showing Generations and First Contact back to back. Why was the B launched while basically incomplete? Picard and Troi's scene together when he breaks down over the death of his family is so good.

The B was testing to make sure things worked at all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakedown_cruise

The problem was that it was the only ship in range to respond to the El-Aurians and was dramatically underprepared for the danger of the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The_Doctor posted:

Why was the B launched while basically incomplete?

I don't think it's that uncommon for shakedown cruises of new vessels (especially ceremonial press related ones) to not be fully equipped for routine duty.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You can make it headcanon that they even pushed the shakedown cruise up a few weeks to accommodate Kirk's schedule and that's also why the only two other crewmembers they could rustle up were Scotty and Chekov

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Film4 is now showing Generations and First Contact back to back. Why was the B launched while basically incomplete? Picard and Troi's scene together when he breaks down over the death of his family is so good.

That scene always hits me hard. It's like seeing your dad cry for the first time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Picard's character work in Generations is really strong even though he's trapped in a really poorly written plot. That part of the movie holds up great.

Arivia posted:

The B was testing to make sure things worked at all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakedown_cruise

The problem was that it was the only ship in range to respond to the El-Aurians and was dramatically underprepared for the danger of the Nexus.

Of course, nobody's quite sure how it ended up being the only ship in range when they were supposedly pretty much flying it around the block :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arivia posted:

The really hosed up thing is their shakedown cruise was just in Sol, so they were just going out to Pluto and back. How the hell were they the only ship in range in Sol?!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I sometimes forget that they gave Cameron Frye his own command.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And he had to fly the ship backward to take the light-years off before his dad got home

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Eimi posted:

The really hosed up thing is their shakedown cruise was just in Sol, so they were just going out to Pluto and back. How the hell were they the only ship in range in Sol?!

It's before DS9 season six where the size of Starfleet increased 100-fold overnight. Nobody being near Earth was normal back then!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The "one ship near Sol" thing always bugged me too, but considering its post Klingon de-escalation, I suppose its not unreasonable that the Enterprise B would be the only ship nearby capable of doing a rescue. I'd imagine there's more ships, but they might be impulse only or simply not suited to evacuate the whole transport.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MillennialVulcan posted:

The "one ship near Sol" thing always bugged me too, but considering its post Klingon de-escalation, I suppose its not unreasonable that the Enterprise B would be the only ship nearby capable of doing a rescue. I'd imagine there's more ships, but they might be impulse only or simply not suited to evacuate the whole transport.

Thats always stupid. Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards are in Mars, Starfleet high command on Earth. In any sane world where Orions and other similar pirate shitheaps might sneak in and show up on moment's notice, there should be a permanent home fleet to deal with that nonsense.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Oh sure, the other ships will quickly respond to conventional threats like pirates or whatever. But you start getting into the godlike aliens and inscrutable probes that's when all the other captains start pretending their comm systems are down and suddenly the Enterprise is the only ship in range

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Thats always stupid. Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards are in Mars, Starfleet high command on Earth. In any sane world where Orions and other similar pirate shitheaps might sneak in and show up on moment's notice, there should be a permanent home fleet to deal with that nonsense.

There's the Mars Defense Perimeter from Best of Both Worlds, but that's unmanned combat vessels (sentry pods and drones), so nothing suitable for rescuing the El-Aurians.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Useless but kinda neat factoid. The fusion breakthrough that was announced today was done at the facility that they used for the warp core in Star Trek Into Darkness. The National Ignition Facility.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

There's the Mars Defense Perimeter from Best of Both Worlds, but that's unmanned combat vessels (sentry pods and drones), so nothing suitable for rescuing the El-Aurians.

Considering how much firepower capital ships carry that really sounded more like last line of defense-type of tool with drones and AI pods.

The Starfleet Academy is also on Earth, at least their main campus is. How come they don't have training ships and stuff floating around? Surely they'd test the cadets when they are actually on space, not just when they are doing simulator runs to weed out the Cadet ForgotMyHelmet-types who forgot to seal the suit before opening the airlock.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The First Contact theme is so, so good. It’s evocative and speaks so loudly of family, and the journey.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Best five seconds of the Picard S2 finale

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If there's one thing Picard's been doing consistently well, it's been the music. They are doing a great job of weaving familiar music in and out depending on the scene.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

same way the Enterprise in TMP was the only ship in range of intercepting V'Ger

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, the Nimbus III incident in ST:V.

And that was all the way into the neutral zone!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lot of starship captains making unconvincing static noises into their mics that day

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"Oh... hey look! *points at viewscreen* That star over there looks interesting, we really have to go look at it now." *puts hand over blinking light on comm panel*

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tighclops posted:

Oh sure, the other ships will quickly respond to conventional threats like pirates or whatever. But you start getting into the godlike aliens and inscrutable probes that's when all the other captains start pretending their comm systems are down and suddenly the Enterprise is the only ship in range

https://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek-lower-decks-q-shows-up-on-the-uss-cerritos

That right there is pretty much what happens with almost every ship that isn't the Enterprise

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

TV had Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country on back to back. I've never seen Final Frontier beginning to end in one go, and... it's good? It's a perfectly fine time, like maybe Shatner could have given himself less action to do, but it's a fun romp.

Speaking of music, Goldsmith's score for STV is just amazing. Excellent reworking of both the main (TNG) title, revisiting some unused themes from TMP, writing a whole new motif that would see use in all the TNG movies he scored ("A Busy Man"), and the transformation of the "Klingon Attack" theme from TMP into its full potential...I frickin' love that soundtrack.

(STV also contains a scene with some of the best acting DeForest Kelley ever did in Trek, followed shortly by Kirk's "I need my pain!" monologue, so we can chalk up some good acting to it as well.)

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 13, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(STV also contains a scene with some of the best acting DeForest Kelley ever did in Trek, followed shortly by Kirk's "I need my pain!" monologue, so we can chalk up some good acting to it as well.)

I think I've read that part of the reason for Kelley's amazing performance there is that he thought at the time that he had a terminal illness. So his father's dialogue of "Son, release me" was deeply personal for him.

You're right, though: great performance from an underrated actor and one of the best movie soundtracks of the six.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Final Frontier is the film that feels the most like an episode of TOS in subject, tone and quality of execution so that's got to be worth something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
On the one hand, the lack of significant warp capable ships near earth in Generations is baffling, on the other hand, it's a theme that keeps repeating. The Breen were able to make a suicide bombing run on Earth in the middle of an active war, for crying out loud.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In the middle of an alert with an active threat and intelligence of a pending attack, only one of the 45 capital ships at Pearl Harbor was in a position to do anything when the attack started, with a second just getting underway.

Fleet bases are fairly vulnerable because everything there is in for maintenance, resupply, and uncrewed.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Also, the Nimbus III incident in ST:V.

And that was all the way into the neutral zone!

To be fair to the film, Admiral Bob tells Kirk that there are indeed other, more-capable ships in the area, but no experienced commanders (which is just as confusing, just in a different way)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cross-Section posted:

To be fair to the film, Admiral Bob tells Kirk that there are indeed other, more-capable ships in the area, but no experienced commanders (which is just as confusing, just in a different way)

it’s like Excelsior in III imo. Yeah the ships are new and fancy as gently caress, but the age of rear end-kicking Kirk out on the frontier has passed, so we’re stuck with spit-and-polish losers in charge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah V's excuse at least makes a mild bit of sense. "I want the Enterprise and I want Jim Kirk rolling up to deal with this shithead because it's all about optics" vs. "there are literally no other starships in a 1,000 light year radius BUT the Enterprise."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn Rivals is such a loving good episode of DS9. An amazing guest star. Quark being Quark. Bashir and Miles in a future raquet ball match. It's just fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but they could have put Kirk on a ship that was actually functioning properly.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but they could have put Kirk on a ship that was actually functioning properly.

Are you going to send James T. Kirk out in the goddamned Enterprise(-B), the flagship of the fleet, or a freaking Miranda? It's all about optics, people.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

In sports optics terms we're kicking Kirk upstairs with a mostly nonsense title like Vice President of Hockey Operations because it's good for morale but we need players who can still skate for two minutes at a time without having a heart attack, trust the process

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are you going to send James T. Kirk out in the goddamned Enterprise(-B), the flagship of the fleet, or a freaking Miranda? It's all about optics, people.

There's an alternate universe out there where for once the USS Saratoga doesn't immediately get its poo poo pushed in whenever it arrives somewhere, and that's because it was hastily rechristened USS Enterprise and given to Jim Kirk :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah V's excuse at least makes a mild bit of sense. "I want the Enterprise and I want Jim Kirk rolling up to deal with this shithead because it's all about optics" vs. "there are literally no other starships in a 1,000 light year radius BUT the Enterprise."

Which, if you think about it, points up a big difference between present-day society and that of the 23rd/24th century -- famous ship captains. I mean, can YOU name a single real world present day ship captain? Someone who commands a naval vessel today, whether that's a ship of your own country, or of an ally or a rival power? I bet you can't unless you're attached to a military somehow, directly or indirectly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If they were discovering poo poo or saving the planet I might care more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

I don't think it was even anything as big as a shakedown cruise, they weren't even planning to engage warp drive. It was basically an impulse engine test that they were having a nice ceremony with.

Eimi posted:

Range is a function of speed and distance and the new B was probably one of the fastest ships in the fleet - I can buy she was the only starship in Sol fast enough to reach the El-Aurians in time from there. There were probably a few Mirandas and Connies that could hit half the speed floating around, maybe an Excelsior with her warp core half-out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

If they were discovering poo poo or saving the planet I might care more.

I mean yeah, when's the last time a current day sea captain discovered a new enemy group, than was kidnapped by them, than became their spokes person/commander during a period when the enemy group just completely destroyed resistances against them, than the captain was rescued, and then he almost single handily saved the world?

I mean if there is a captain out there who's done that sort of thing, and I just missed it on the news, well that's on me.

But yeah I can imagine those outside starfleet would not know the name of main captains, but like any captain that almost single handily saved a major world in a very dramatic and public way, I can imagine people in the general public talking about it for a bit in a general interest sort of way.