Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Petry to IR:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1602824335030628352?s=20&t=1MezF3QM9bNpgtZY5ZhyIg

Bit of a blow. He's been very reliable this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
8 divisions of 4 teams, the 1st place teams all automatically go to the playoffs, intradivisional 4th vs. 3rd, winner vs. 2nd ladders for the other 8 teams. That's where we're gonna end up

Ginette Reno posted:

Petry to IR:

Bit of a blow. He's been very reliable this year.

They'll be fine, I mean how important is it to have right defensemen really?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

8 divisions of 4 teams, the 1st place teams all automatically go to the playoffs, intradivisional 4th vs. 3rd, winner vs. 2nd ladders for the other 8 teams. That's where we're gonna end up
God thats bleak

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Pre-pre-season -> preseason -> tournament. Love to play 90 preseason games a year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Personally I think that Gibson is better than his numbers from the past few years. That team is godawful and he gets shelled every night, he's routinely having to see 40-50 pucks a game. So yea, he's at a sub .900 SV% right now, but on the other hand he has more saves than any other goalie in the NHL. Look at this last 7 starts, for example. In two of those game he got destroyed. Like, sub .800 SV%. In the other five his worst sv% was .918, and the Ducks only won two of those games. On most teams, that kind of goaltending gets you a win. Of course you can't pin all of it on the team, but I don't really buy that it's all on him either.

No team (5v5) gives up more xG per 60 than the Ducks @3.36 and that's mostly on the back of giving up more high dangers per 60 than any other team @ 16.08. Arizona is next closest in high dangers giving up 14.17 per 60. At present Anaheim ranks 7th best in the NHL with .855 high danger sv%.

Basically the goaltending is being asked to do the impossible. Also Stars fans might have been 100% correct about Klingberg who looks very very very bad.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
every one of the 4 major leagues has made making the playoffs easier in the past 20 years. the NHL is alone in having made it arguably harder because the league has gotten larger but the same 16 spots are available. it seems pretty inevitable that it'll expand sooner or later. im actually surprised Bettman is being allowed to hold firm on this, i would think the owners would be pinning for the extra $$$

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lol to revive the announcer chat from a while back, Mickey Redmond just lambasted the wings for that abysmal power play they just had against the hurricanes

Edit: and the wings just got another PP and he's like "well what do you expect they just had 2 of them with no shots" I appreciate him for not being afraid to criticize the team instead of just being homer

Edit2: and the intermission team described the game as a "gloriously boring road game" for the Hurricanes and that seems accurate

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 14, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The covid playoffs with playins led to an awful playoff with terrible teams so ya let's not do that

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1602844439663214594?s=20&t=f0D9hCS3nVOeVhSddeCOEQ

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1602851440468578304?s=46&t=3LzXs3RS3vzO78AwbTLXWg

Is Quinn-Cozens-Peterka the most exciting young line in the NHL? Many people are saying this.

Edit: gently caress the King

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
It's cool that Washington gave up on Samsonov.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Trap game eh Toronto sports media?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dr Zaius posted:

As someone who has watched a lot of the Caps/Samsonov I would say, just wait a bit. Maybe he has really got it now. I dunno. But he was streaky in Washington. He'll go two weeks where he looks like a god, then the next two weeks you wonder if he can tie his own shoes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dr Zaius posted:

I 100% agree, it’s incredible to watch our goalies and not worry that he’s about to poo poo himself and let in 6 goals.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

It's weird, because I am pretty sure last season, I said Anaheim is a great young team on the rise. Zegras, Terry, McTavish and Drysdale. But, it looks like went from one of the best young goalies in the league to one of the worst goalies. Unsure what happened there.
The Ducks were vaguely in the playoff picture last year, and then just decided to blow it up for some reason and the team has been dogshit since. Maybe it's worth it if they win the Bedard lottery, but if not, in not sure what plan B is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1602855579873337344?s=46&t=3LzXs3RS3vzO78AwbTLXWg

The Sabres are 3-0 wearing the ridiculous Black/Red jerseys, outscoring their opponents 18-5 in those games. A six goal third period, tonight.

If the Sabres had even average goaltending they would make the playoffs, no question. Anderson looked the best that he has in years tonight.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m very cognizant of the fact that in November/December last year Jack Campbell was near the top of the league in sv% and was nominated to be an all-star.

Then almost literally as soon as the year turned 2022 he became one of the worst goalies in the league, as Micah helpfully charted:

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1602831284858155008?s=20&t=kDleixxgiIKkB3nwfjhKvQ

There’s a lot of season left, Murray and Samsonov both have been great but they’ve also both played 10 games so far.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Simplex posted:

The Ducks were vaguely in the playoff picture last year, and then just decided to blow it up for some reason and the team has been dogshit since. Maybe it's worth it if they win the Bedard lottery, but if not, in not sure what plan B is.

Uh what? Anaheim wasn't anywhere near the playoffs last year. They weren't even close to competitive in the worst division last year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Did they really sell off guys either? Lindholm was a pending UFA and they did bring in Klingberg to replace him. This isn't the Sabres getting rid of any guy who played goalie in the AHL

They have a very barren lineup and no amount of fix it moves could patch that over. They're playing the guys they should be playing, too.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Dallas Eakins is a MORON

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Uh what? Anaheim wasn't anywhere near the playoffs last year. They weren't even close to competitive in the worst division last year.

March 14th, the other teams had games in hand, but the Ducks were 4 points back from the Oilers and 3 back from the Stars.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovie just scored his 800th

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In my opinion,

Ovechkin.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
800 for Ovi...wow

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Ovi rules.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Derek Forbort scored a shorty today which is way more impressive than Ovechkin.

Also he's never done a genocide probably.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oviiiiiiii

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It’s insane to me that playoff goals aren’t counted in the player’s goal totals.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

It’s insane to me that playoff goals aren’t counted in the player’s goal totals.

I get why they don't count but I'm in the same boat. Ovi would have 872 if you counted playoffs. Dude rules

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What would Gretzky be at?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

What would Gretzky be at?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
so uh,whats the record for fewest regulation wins in a season?
because the ducks are on pace for 2.5

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
800 goals is absolutely insane in the modern era. Ovechkin is incredible. I remember the one season he had like 25 goals and people were convinced he was washed. Insane.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers have now lost 16 of their last 18 and yet are not at the bottom of the division, nor league, because they also like getting loser points in said losses.

go team

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

800 goals is a lot of goals

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

What? I've been a hockey fan for 30 years and never knew this.

This is so dumb. Puck in net=goal. That's it. That's all that matters.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Playoff stats in every major north american league have always been counted seperate from regular season stats.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Hat trick and 800 on ESPN? Clearly rigged.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
He's on pace for a 51 goal season at age 37 and has 3 more years after this season is over on his contract? He absolutely could beat Wayne, wow. I always thought it might be a possibility but it's still incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Playoff stats in every major north american league have always been counted seperate from regular season stats.

Count them separate, sure. But when you're talking about lifetime NHL goals scored, we should be counting every goal scored in a game that counted for something in the NHL.