Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have horrible news about Alzheimer's and your ability to follow directions.

that's why her staff is with her on votes.

as far as I am aware she's never oopsied a vote, though she's expounded at length in an interview on a position and then immediately reversed it in writing when her staff managed to separate her from reporters multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

evilweasel posted:

i mean, at the end of the day i would rather have feinstein as my senator than whoever the last republican who ran was. the thing about legislators is they really only need to do what they're told to be pretty good.

that said, california's primary system means that next election is probably a Democratic candidate running against her in the general election

It's not really a choice of Feinstein or Republican, though.

People have been trying to gently push her out for at least 4 years. But, she just gets even more resistant to resigning when people try to push her out.

Voters could have supported a primary candidate/a different candidate in the jungle primary system.

Last time it was Kevin De Leon who turned out to be... not a great person.

The problem is that she is lucid enough more than half of the time, so when you call her out, then she can answer questions every once in a while and isn't just senile 24/7 and nobody is going to push it.

Plus, nobody wants to publicly bully out the longest-serving female Senator who still has support from a lot of other women.

But, it is a weird scenario where everyone is trying to get her to resign, she won't, and then everyone just kind of throws their hands up.

She probably should have just gone out on a high note and not run for re-election in 2018, but that obviously is not something that can be changed now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Judgy Fucker posted:

“Oh, it’s so nice. She curls up around you,” Feinstein said. “The best.”

I mean... she's not wrong here.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

as far as I am aware she's never oopsied a vote, though she's expounded at length in an interview on a position and then immediately reversed it in writing when her staff managed to separate her from reporters multiple times

Still seems like a thing that should be fixed though. I really doubt Senator is such an easy job that you are 100% fulfilling all your duties if you need staff with you to make sure you remember how to vote because you have Alzheimers. It can't both be one of the most important roles in government and something that can reasonably be done by someone who is actively losing cognitive function.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Being a Senator is also more than just pressing the vote button.

California has 50% of their Senators unable to work for them to advocate for appropriations and amendments for their people, advocate for Californians for judicial nominations, push Californians for executive jobs, etc.

Maybe it would be better if everyone just followed and pushed a button, so we could just do national planning instead of every state fighting for appropriation for themselves, but we don't live in that world, so California is being hampered by having someone who just shows up to press the button and ask a few questions at hearings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

Still seems like a thing that should be fixed though. I really doubt Senator is such an easy job that you are 100% fulfilling all your duties if you need staff with you to make sure you remember how to vote because you have Alzheimers. It can't both be one of the most important roles in government and something that can reasonably be done by someone who is actively losing cognitive function.

i mean, if i were in california, i would absolutely be voting for any other democratic candidate in the jungle primary and, assuming the general was d v. feinstein, vote for the other one (within reason).

but at the end of the day, voters are allowed to make really stupid choices so the only real fix is: communicate the issue clearly to voters and argue that five good terms deserves a rest. it might not work any better than the slogan that three good terms deserves a rest, but ultimately that's up to the voters. there's not really a better way to solve it. the only real "fix" is to end the culture that reporters don't report on when senators are senile, so voters have that information.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for example i imagine many of strom thurmond's constituents that voted for him valued sending a known virulent segregationist to the senate above having a senator that still had their wits about them

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Usually your staff tells you what votes are coming up and recommends what your votes should be. Usually written in memorandum.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

for example i imagine many of strom thurmond's constituents that voted for him valued sending a known virulent segregationist to the senate above having a senator that still had their wits about them

Going to go out on a limb here and say it was probably more complicated than that because of course it was. Lots of different things are coming together to decide who ends up in office, even before the votes happen since there is a lot of soft process going on before you know who the viable candidates are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apple just surrendered to the U.S. DOJ, Epic Games, and E.U. and gave up their nearly decade-long legal fight to require all apps on the iPhone go through the app store and banning installing your own apps.

quote:

Apple is reportedly preparing to allow third-party app stores on the iPhone

Apple is planning to let users install alternative app stores on iOS, according to a report from Bloomberg. The shift would be a remarkable change from the company, which has famously only allowed iPhone and iPad users to download apps from the App Store.

The plans are reportedly being spurred on by the EU’s Digital Markets Act (DMA), which is meant to enact “rules for digital gatekeepers to ensure open markets” when its restrictions become a requirement in 2024, according to a press release.

The law means that Apple will not only have to allow third-party app stores but sideloading as well, where users can install software downloaded from the web. Apple executives have previously called the ability to sideload software “a cybercriminal’s best friend” in response to the act.

The EU has laid out a relatively complex schedule for complying with the law, which involves companies potentially affected by it notifying regulators and a commission determining whether they’ll actually have to make changes.

In its press release, however, the EU says the latest date gatekeeper companies will have to comply with the act is March 6th, 2024.

Apple may still keep some hands on the reins. The company is apparently considering “mandating certain security requirements,” verifying outside apps in some way, and potentially charging a fee, Bloomberg reports. Apple hasn’t decided whether it will let developers install third-party payment systems in apps, which it is supposed to do under the DMA, Bloomberg says. It also hasn’t decided how it will make iMessage interoperable with other services, another condition of the DMA, and could open up its Find My network to more location accessories like Tile.

Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Apple is currently working on another massive change spurred on by EU regulations — the company has confirmed it can’t get around EU rules forcing the addition of USB-C to the iPhone by 2024.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/13/23507766/apple-app-store-eu-dma-third-party-sideloading

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apple just surrendered to the U.S. DOJ, Epic Games, and E.U. and gave up their nearly decade-long legal fight to require all apps on the iPhone go through the app store and banning installing your own apps.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/13/23507766/apple-app-store-eu-dma-third-party-sideloading

If apple does this I might actually buy an iphone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Apple is probably going to find a way to make using such apps worse than using first-party app store apps

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder how many people actually install third party stores on Android (not counting devices that weren't using Google's store to start with) --- it's quite possible this concession won't actually make much of a difference...

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Apple is probably going to find a way to make using such apps worse than using first-party app store apps

Probably turn their installation into a nightmare. Sideloading requiring you to delete all your current apps, or something like that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

I wonder how many people actually install third party stores on Android (not counting devices that weren't using Google's store to start with) --- it's quite possible this concession won't actually make much of a difference...

some manufacturers (such as Samsung) have their own stores which are loaded on their phones in addition to the Google Play store, but I don't know how prevalent that is or if that even still goes on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meatball posted:

Probably turn their installation into a nightmare. Sideloading requiring you to delete all your current apps, or something like that.

Due to security precautions, third-party apps are not permitted to access the camera, microphone, speaker, headphones, GPS, secure enclave, NFC transmitter, Lightning port, flash storage, Bluetooth, Wifi, cellular, touchscreen, or CPU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Due to security precautions, third-party apps are not permitted to access the camera, microphone, speaker, headphones, GPS, secure enclave, NFC transmitter, Lightning port, flash storage, Bluetooth, Wifi, cellular, touchscreen, or CPU

Also you must pay full price for your next iPhone up front

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
EU so much better for the consumer then the “free market” USA

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's a local story here where a big time 50 year old GOP donor with huge connections to Desantis was under criminal investigation and shot himself

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...5e-2cae05d92f2a

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Politically well connected mega-donor and businessman Kent Stermon was under investigation by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office in the weeks before his suicide over allegations of sexual misconduct, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

Jacksonville Sheriff T.K. Waters issued a statement on Friday afternoon confirming the investigation, but did not say what the nature of the investigation was.

In his statement, Waters said, “Mr. Stermon was the subject of an active investigation by the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, which began a few weeks prior to his death. This investigation remains ongoing at this time and will continue until its completion. As with all active investigations, there is limited information available to release at this time. However, as soon as this investigation has been completed, all applicable information will be available for release to the public.”

Shortly before his death, Stermon was hospitalized for a stroke. He was reported missing to JSO after he was released from the hospital. He was later found dead by ABPD. Stermon was locked in his car, alone, in the U.S. Post Office parking lot at 1001 Mayport Road.

Here's the part that caught my eye though

quote:

Stermon's influence and political reach cannot be overstated. He was a friend and close political ally to Gov. Ron DeSantis and so deeply emmeshed in local law enforcement circles that he had free access to JSO headquarters. (Late this afternoon, JSO confirmed Stermon had an access card to the Police Memorial Building "prior to the current administration coming in," a spokesman said in an email. "The decision was made following the election to remove his access privileges and he had been informed of this.")

So let that loving sink in.

Oddly, it's not getting a TON of coverage locally and, even more strange, is that there's very little conspiracy talk going on surrounding his suicide. I was expecting a lot of "Biden had him killed" type of poo poo but it seems like everyone accepts that he killed himself.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

haveblue posted:

It went like this (numbers made up):

100,000 watts was fed into the experiment facility from the power company

50,000 watts was lost to inefficiencies while the equipment generated the laser beam

50,000 watts shot out of the lasers and hit the fuel

60,000 watts came out of the fuel when it fused

So in the context of a science experiment the fusion was energy positive (10,000 more watts came out of the fuel than went into it), which is brand new and why this is big news, but within the larger nonscientific context of "can the facility run itself on fusion while generating useful electricity to distribute" it still fell short by a large margin
So instead of 1 fusion worth 10k watts, just make 11 fusions worth 110k watts, and then you can power the factory that uses 100k watts.

Problem solved.

I do science.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crows Turn Off posted:

So instead of 1 fusion worth 10k watts, just make 11 fusions worth 110k watts, and then you can power the factory that uses 100k watts.

Problem solved.

I do science.

Throw hundreds of unnecessary words in there about disruption and blockchain or whatever, and venture capitalists will line up to throw money at you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a local story here where a big time 50 year old GOP donor with huge connections to Desantis was under criminal investigation and shot himself

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...5e-2cae05d92f2a

Here's the part that caught my eye though

So let that loving sink in.

Oddly, it's not getting a TON of coverage locally and, even more strange, is that there's very little conspiracy talk going on surrounding his suicide. I was expecting a lot of "Biden had him killed" type of poo poo but it seems like everyone accepts that he killed himself.

Yeah I've been following this too. He apparently used that access very frequently. I've definitely heard some conspiracy poo poo around this that is not worth repeating, but I don't think this one is going to fade away unanswered.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

some manufacturers (such as Samsung) have their own stores which are loaded on their phones in addition to the Google Play store, but I don't know how prevalent that is or if that even still goes on.

Samsung at least still does this and according to Statista is about 22% of global smartphone shipments.

Source: I have an S22+ and Statista.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Reps. Ro Khanna, Katie Porter, Adam Schiff, and Barbara Lee have already been asking for money and endorsements for a potential 2024 Senate race.
I hope Barbara Lee wins, she rules (only Congressperson to vote against the Iraq war, and her reasons for doing so turned out to be 100% correct). She'd be a great voice to have in the Senate, it's a shame she's in her mid-70s.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

That sound you hear is every corporate IT department gearing up to block this on managed devices.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Meatball posted:

Also you must pay full price for your next iPhone up front

And it instantly voids your warranty.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Zero_Grade posted:

I hope Barbara Lee wins, she rules (only Congressperson to vote against the Iraq war, and her reasons for doing so turned out to be 100% correct). She'd be a great voice to have in the Senate, it's a shame she's in her mid-70s.

Katie Porter would be my pick, besides her being cool and good I'd rather the Dems not play actuarial table roulette with any more senate seats than they have to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gumball Gumption posted:

A well set up staff can run on inertia for a long time. It might be she managed to offload more than we might think before things got really bad. I certainly hope so.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Android user here, but I'm more excited about Apple being forced to use USB-C rather than the Lightning port for their phones. It would be nice to get that as a global standard, if other countries/regions follow suit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Android user here, but I'm more excited about Apple being forced to use USB-C rather than the Lightning port for their phones. It would be nice to get that as a global standard, if other countries/regions follow suit.

Since Apple is being forced into USB-C, isn't it effectively a global standard on phones now? Are there new phones being released that have proprietary ports?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since Apple is being forced into USB-C, isn't it effectively a global standard on phones now? Are there new phones being released that have proprietary ports?

They only have to do USB-C in the EU, right? So its not a universal standard. They may have done the math it makes them more money to keep it proprietary everywhere else.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Barudak posted:

They only have to do USB-C in the EU, right? So its not a universal standard. They may have done the math it makes them more money to keep it proprietary everywhere else.

This. What will tip the scales if if other countries start to follow suit. China would be my first guess - they're a huge market, it gives them a way to screw with a US tech company the same way the US screws with theirs, and it's effectively a low/no cost way to claim that they're forcing companies to go green (reducing e-waste, the same argument the EU used).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm listening to today's house hearing on ftx, and i'm surprised by the number of republican reps who are insinuating that the department of justice and sec deliberately timed the indictment and arrest of sbf to prevent him from testifying before the house. i can't tell if they're just grumpy because they feel someone is stepping on their prerogative, or if they actually believe that if sbf had been allowed to testify he would have revealed something that justice wanted to cover up

i know everyone i talked to about was complaining that he wasn't in jail already, so suggesting that the arrest should have waited seems kind of wild

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm listening to today's house hearing on ftx, and i'm surprised by the number of republican reps who are insinuating that the department of justice and sec deliberately timed the indictment and arrest of sbf to prevent him from testifying before the house. i can't tell if they're just grumpy because they feel someone is stepping on their prerogative, or if they actually believe that if sbf had been allowed to testify he would have revealed something that justice wanted to cover up

i know everyone i talked to about was complaining that he wasn't in jail already, so suggesting that the arrest should have waited seems kind of wild

I mean he was in the Bahamas, was he really going to just call up the House and do it like that? I don't imagine he was going to take the red eye in and show up after a light breakfast to do it in person.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Turns out SBF is in possession of Hunter Biden's iPad. Which is where all the super dirt on Joe Biden is stored.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They are mad because he made donations to democrats so they were railing about him not being investigated because hes a democrat supporter (ignore all the much lager donations he did under aliases to republicans) and this indictment is just early enough they come across as stupid instead of being able to claim they forced those shady dems to act!!!!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

When you say "immediately reversed it in writing," do you mean Feinstein herself wrote a statement and sent it out to reporters?

Or is this a polite fiction and what you actually mean is "her staffers immediately reversed her statements in writing"?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sharkie posted:

When you say "immediately reversed it in writing," do you mean Feinstein herself wrote a statement and sent it out to reporters?

Or is this a polite fiction and what you actually mean is "her staffers immediately reversed her statements in writing"?

The latter, though they pretend she had a hand in it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

evilweasel posted:

The latter, though they pretend she had a hand in it.

It's a great refinement of the system! Feinstein's largely anonymous staffers are probably much cheaper to brlobby than an actual Senator and since they already write her opinions and statements and votes you can just supply them directly and avoid any risky "crisis of conscience"! More Senators should be this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Zero_Grade posted:

This didn't sound right, and technically it is isn't but the actual thing is even more impressive/brave: she was the only person to vote against the AUMF "against those responsible for the recent attacks launched against the United States" which was passed on September 14, 2001. Three days after 9/11 she was the only Congressperson to say "maybe we shouldn't just authorize an open ended war or invasion against anyone a President thinks might be against us".

Over a year later, the majority of Congress (and by and large the country) still supported the AUMF against Iraq specifically, but that resolution had a lot more nay votes (133 in the House, 23 in the Senate), including Lee. Not to take anything away from every Congressperson who voted against the Iraq War, but to have the clarity/resolve to act like Lee did three days after 9/11 is something else.