Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

someone make this say “i just blue myself” and ill do a gang tag giveaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

jesus WEP posted:

someone make this say “i just blue myself” and ill do a gang tag giveaway

:effort:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i think this is every single "charitable contribution" by every single billionaire in the history of time? ive never heard of it not being the case

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah if it's not just straight up donating to themselves (hence why every rich gently caress has their own charity), it's done for tax reasons so they end up getting the money back anyway

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Do not compare musky to Blue

As a former nuclear engineer who did functional safety let me say my piece. Musks insistence on not testing and ignoring things like "using tested COTS software" makes me mad. No one drives a Tesla at Bruce

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gnome de plume posted:

it's about time the Blank VHS Case aesthetic made a comeback

yeah i was trying to figure out where i had seen this exact vibe before and it's either this or late 80s/early 90s video game company logos. the twinkles are animated when you boot up

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

njsykora posted:

yeah if it's not just straight up donating to themselves (hence why every rich gently caress has their own charity), it's done for tax reasons so they end up getting the money back anyway

It's done for tax reasons but they don't actually come out ahead unless they're doing fraud. Basically if you're turbo rich and you want to give some $X of your money away eventually, there's often timing issues. You might want to do it over 30 years or so, but if you're having a huge lump sum of taxable income or gains this year it's most efficient to lock up all the money you were gonna give away in a foundation all at once. The economy class rich version of this is called "Donor Advised Fund".

Legally once it's locked up in a foundation like that you can't use it for anything other than charitable purposes but rich people can still use this big pile of money to build and spread their influence in all kinds of ways that are still technically "charitable". Sometimes it's a political effort, but often it's just a hobby for bored rich people and their spouses.

Of course if you're Trump, you setup a family foundation for the tax dodge and then immediately do all the crimes by having the foundation pay your living expenses or launder the money back through sham transactions and self-dealing. To be clear this is illegal but I'm sure there's a significant amount of rich people who get away with it because the government can only investigate so much and they are smart enough to not go around bragging about all the crime they do.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hahahaha

e: needs a wonky elon head on it like :gary:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

hahahaha

e: needs a wonky elon head on it like :gary:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/FionaSmall/status/1603000286049701890?t=O4EgVD0mJJZjDru_B4xkBw&s=19

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The other thing you can do is donate your money to your billionaire friend's charitable foundation, and he donates his money to yours, and then you just chat with each other on the golf course about what some good ideas of how to spend that money might be

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

njsykora posted:

all tesla has over anyone else right now is the cult of musk and raw top speed which is completely irrelevant to anyone outside the most deranged stat warriors because no-one who owns a tesla is taking it to a track day

i actually saw someone track their model y at the glen this summer. it blasted past me up the esses on the first lap then a lap later i saw it going into the pit, presumably because it went into :flaccid: mode

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

TheDarkFlame posted:

Look at how many layers of awful design went into this new Twitter Blue logo. Seriously some poor intern must have kept getting told "no make it shinier, make it pop, make it glow" until they'd used every effect Wordart had to give.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I went to see that hosed up logo and lmao at this popup

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

there's still a service that you can use to automatically block anyone with a hexagon profile picture, but i don't know how long it'll take before they'll have their access cut

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

good news! now while you're mowing over children in your tesla, you can mow over children in GTA5!

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1602789357156536321?s=20&t=ZVmuiZIyOxsLFAHYm3XLNQ

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Do you have Steam in your TESLA..?
No, it's just on fire.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hasn't he been insisting that spacex is massively profitable?

the people who are going to buy these insider shares 100% know they're underwater but can't let elon appear to fail

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

still coming soon!!

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

hasn't he been insisting that spacex is massively profitable?

the people who are going to buy these insider shares 100% know they're underwater but can't let elon appear to fail

Elon says a lot of things that may or may not be true, but being a government contractor usually tends to have a guarantee of some profits.

Perhaps Elon is absolutely desperate for cash to throw at the dumpster fire of Twitter and that SpaceX is the only company worth selling.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

thats where they got the cybertruck design from

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

that poo poo is still public information and elon is still a dumb idiot babby

here's elon's jet https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a835af

and space-x's jets https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a2ae0a https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a64304

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
There’s no way it would be cheaper to fight those severance packages in court and lose compared to just paying them out

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am a moron posted:

There’s no way it would be cheaper to fight those severance packages in court and lose compared to just paying them out

what if you don't pay the lawyers

and also don't pay the fines

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i'm assuming cohost embeds aren't a thing but https://cohost.org/vogon/post/609373-okay-people-have-bee

tl;dr it appears twitter has stolen at least some of a free "80s style text mockup" available on the web:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

quiggy posted:

i'm assuming cohost embeds aren't a thing but https://cohost.org/vogon/post/609373-okay-people-have-bee

tl;dr it appears twitter has stolen at least some of a free "80s style text mockup" available on the web:

lmao of course they did

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
boerem ipsum

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
jeez i just realized i havent chosted for a minute. the site is pretty drat slow still :smith:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Twerk from Home posted:

what if you don't pay the lawyers

and also don't pay the fines

It’s a bold strategy Cotton let’s see if it pays off for em

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

jeez i just realized i havent chosted for a minute. the site is pretty drat slow still :smith:
i'm hoping tumblr blows up again, because the "twitter alternatives" just aren't doing it imho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why using a free effect pack is some sort of indictment, people have been doing that poo poo forever, I bet there were magazine articles in airbrush magazines int he 80s that taught you how to do stuff like that

sure it's ugly and tacky but "they didn't artisinally create this" is meaningless. plus as far as I know most of the design team is gone

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

qirex posted:

idg why using a free effect pack is some sort of indictment, people have been doing that poo poo forever, I bet there were magazine articles in airbrush magazines int he 80s that taught you how to do stuff like that

sure it's ugly and tacky but "they didn't artisinally create this" is meaningless. plus as far as I know most of the design team is gone

you're talking about the thread where everyone ran with "but the car uses vape batteries" because the pack was built with 18650s

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

There is next to zero chance of this happening, but I'd love to see one of the people suing twitter for unpaid balances petition the court to put Twitter in receivership on the grounds that a successful businessman like Elon couldn't have squandered so much company value unless he is intentionally trying to render it too insolvent to pay out it's creditors and likely judgment holders.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

There is next to zero chance of this happening, but I'd love to see one of the people suing twitter for unpaid balances petition the court to put Twitter in receivership on the grounds that a successful businessman like Elon couldn't have squandered so much company value unless he is intentionally trying to render it too insolvent to pay out it's creditors and likely judgment holders.

the conspiracy theory that thiel and the dork enlightenment crew pushed elon to buy and subsequently kill twitter is one of the less outrageous at this point

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

quiggy posted:

i felt like the twitter design didn't land very well, and now it makes a bit more sense. the little flares are in the wrong place because they just recycled them from another thing without thinking about it.

that plus i feel like it needs some of that graininess texture applied, that seems pretty typical of that aesthetic.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its too loving clean. at least throw some free adobe vhs effect on top or whatever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Eeyo posted:

i felt like the twitter design didn't land very well, and now it makes a bit more sense. the little flares are in the wrong place because they just recycled them from another thing without thinking about it.

that plus i feel like it needs some of that graininess texture applied, that seems pretty typical of that aesthetic.

a twitchy fifty year old man who hasn't slept in two days is leaning over your shoulder at 2am giving you feedback, blasting cokebreath directly in your face. his greasy fingers leave streaks on your monitor as he waffles back and forth a dozen times in two minutes on the color of the background stripes. every time he backs away to pace and wave his hands he jolts your chair forward

are you going to spend an extra hour to tweak the design or just do what he says so you can go home?

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 14, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

qirex posted:

its indicative of twitter's current ethos that they'd rather just get some dork to copy a design they found online than actually hire an artist to make something that looks good. furthermore, elon bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

if you're a small business sure, if you're some level of (allegedly) "billion dollar" tech corp you should be doing better than "got the intern to download a pack of 100 cool fonts" it just makes you look like a clown

otoh if apple did this we could probably power something major from the rotational velocity of steve jobs spinning in his grave