Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Jedit posted:

Exactly like Venom.

So it adds 1 power of it's own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I just opened DOOM, I’d like to play DOOM. Any good DOOM decks you’d guys like to share?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scrap Dragon posted:

So it adds 1 power of it's own?

No, because Venom is a card with 1 power that gets combined with the others. Klyntar turn 4 is Venom without the actual Venom card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

I just opened DOOM, I’d like to play DOOM. Any good DOOM decks you’d guys like to share?

My Patriot deck from earlier should be a starting point, Doombots have no abilities so Patriot makes them 7-power. Could also do a Wong or Arnim style thing, although Arnim is 6-cost too so that may be a bit of an issue

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

He synergizes really well with Patriot as mentioned. It's even better if you slot in Mystique, which nets you 9 power Doombots. Before I pulled either of those though I used to run him with Sandman

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I don’t have patriot 😔

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Also, what does a pool 3 move deck look like? I have Human Torch and uh... Magneto? I guess he could be used to buff Kraven

code:

# (1) Human Torch
# (1) Iron Fist
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (2) Dagger
# (2) Kraven
# (2) Multiple Man
# (2) Cloak
# (3) Doctor Strange
# (3) Vulture
# (3) Hulkbuster
# (4) Miles Morales
# (6) Heimdall
#

Heimdall is super obvious though so it's not a terrible idea to replace him. I have Forge in my other move deck

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

This happened to me enough to where I just took out enchantress and retreat if it’s looking like they have enough pieces.

Not a bad idea.

No Wave posted:

Lost to galactus -> knull and I think I'm done with this poo poo game

As a Galactus-haver myself, he's super obvious though. They'll try to keep at least one lane clear, play Wolverine (maybe with a Hulkbuster on top), and something to cheat him out early (Electro is perfect.)

Then it's just a matter of who can put the most power down, or who has priority to Shang-Chi the opponent's big stuff.

Or if you have Aero when they Wave.

And remember that Galactus + Knull is 12.000 loving tokens for something that probably isn't even that good.

Tender Bender posted:

Lol at how I praised their card acquisition at first but now it's even worse than Hearthstone's

I'm not sure they figured it out yet. They seem to really want players to not have all the same stuff, so they make it outright impossible to buy everything immediately.

I guess if they keep putting new stuff in pool 5, AND they start moving things down from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 at the same pace, it can work.

So players who have all of pool 3 (which still takes months but is doable) will have some tokens to buy the odd new card that they really, really want, but otherwise everyone will be forced to wait until they move down to pool 3.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

uXs posted:

Not a bad idea.

As a Galactus-haver myself, he's super obvious though. They'll try to keep at least one lane clear, play Wolverine (maybe with a Hulkbuster on top), and something to cheat him out early (Electro is perfect.)

Then it's just a matter of who can put the most power down, or who has priority to Shang-Chi the opponent's big stuff.

Or if you have Aero when they Wave.

And remember that Galactus + Knull is 12.000 loving tokens for something that probably isn't even that good.
Wolverine is pointless. Why would you play that? You just play the THREE ramp cards, galactus, death, green goblin, knull, chavez for consistency. The devs really want you to win for free if you galactus on 5 nothing else really matters. Will you still lose to cosmo all the time? yeah of course. people who run cosmo are allowed to play the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was saving up for Galactus but I think Knull fits my playstyle better. Either way, better than Thanos, I fought someone who played pretty much all Infinity stones and got him out and powered up, it didn't seem very fun and I still won

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Absolutely dead in the mud this season. Started 40, dropped all the way down to 35, clawed back up to 45 and then dropped back to 38. Just nothing is working for me at all.

I've gone back to my loving pool 2 kazoo and playing incredibly small ball with it but every deck I have seems to get the worst draws or worst locations. Had Subterainea earlier today on first reveal and quite literally the rest of my draws were all the rocks. Every loving last one of them. I could've done something if I had even gotten one card from my real deck but nope. All rocks. gently caress you game. Also finally got M'Baku in store. That was just the capper on this poo poo.

I got Quinjet from the token shop yesterday and played some KaZoo Thanos but with the added stones, it's inconsistent as hell. You're adding almost 50% more to your deck. A couple of them (one?) lets you draw out the stones a little faster but even still, if I can't draw out Kazar early, I may as well retreat because I'm not gonna see him.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What’s the current max amount of credits? I’m at 4775 credits at CL 598 right now and I want to hit it before I make the CL 600 jump so I can minimize the wall of playing against full meta decks while my Pool 3 collection isn’t complete.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

No Wave posted:

Wolverine is pointless. Why would you play that? You just play the THREE ramp cards, galactus, death, green goblin, knull, chavez for consistency. The devs really want you to win for free if you galactus on 5 nothing else really matters. Will you still lose to cosmo all the time? yeah of course. people who run cosmo are allowed to play the game.

Because I don't have Death, Green Goblin, or Knull.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, I concede, if you dont own any of the cards that make galactus unfair then galactus is fair.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zikan posted:

What’s the current max amount of credits? I’m at 4775 credits at CL 598 right now and I want to hit it before I make the CL 600 jump so I can minimize the wall of playing against full meta decks while my Pool 3 collection isn’t complete.

With the addition of the big Apocalypse bundle a couple weeks ago they doubled it to 10k.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Zikan posted:

The new cap is 10,000 credits.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zikan posted:

Pretty sure it's 10k.

I still have no idea why you would do this though. Are people really this afraid of getting stomped by people with collection level 5000 the instant they step into pool 3?

Because that just doesn't happen.

But have fun jumping ten thousand credits into pool 3 when you could have had a much more gradual learning curve, I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

uXs posted:

Pretty sure it's 10k.

I still have no idea why you would do this though. Are people really this afraid of getting stomped by people with collection level 5000 the instant they step into pool 3?

Because that just doesn't happen.
It does.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Wave posted:

It does.

i know you've soured immensely on the game in the few months since you've started playing but you really don't have to push it that hard onto other people.

i didn't do any CL shenanigans or other fuckery and am at 1186 CL and i've been having a pretty fun and smooth time, even despite having fairly unlucky pool openings. i mainly just try to approach it like i approach other multiplayer games (especially card games) where if i know i'm tilting out i take a break, and i try not to grind too hard after i've finished my open missions so that i don't burn myself out + i advise other people to play similarly

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It is an absolute fact that the game protects you from the general pool of high CL gamers until you hit CL600, and after you got CL600 the gloves are off.

Whether that transition is frustrating and ruins the game for you is subjective, but its existence is objective.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’ve seen magneto go wrong way more than he’s gone right and it’s very funny every time. Even when it’s me

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Part of the learning curve is knowing when your opponent is definitely going to drop 22+ power on turn 6 (it's every game) so you fold and lose 1-4 cubes instead of 8. This is called "skill". The other part is knowing when certain keywords arbitrarily work in a different way than they work in other situations. This is called "experience." By combining skill and experience, you can become a grandmaster.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

rydiafan posted:

It is an absolute fact that the game protects you from the general pool of high CL gamers until you hit CL600, and after you got CL600 the gloves are off.

Whether that transition is frustrating and ruins the game for you is subjective, but its existence is objective.

the thing i'm arguing against is the fear of getting ultrastomped by people with all the cards, here. it's a transition point but it's not one that's unbeatable or something to fear, and intentionally limiting your progression is just going to feel worse in the long run IMO. just play the game and learn how to ride out matches and feel out the snap/retreat mechanics and you'll be fine

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

rydiafan posted:

Ok you're right, I admit it. The second I got into CL600 it's been a non-stop grind of playing people with the perfect meta decks.

I also know for sure that, even though there's no way for me to know this, the vast majority of them had complete pool 3 collections.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's also worth noting that winning vs losing has almost no impact on your progression: there's some credits in the ranked track you'll miss out on if you don't hit those levels, but it's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. Yeah losing a lot sucks, but so long as you're playing, you're working towards new cards.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And that's fine if it works for you.

Some people get frustrated if they feel the game isn't "fair" and playing against people with full pool 3 collections and losing to combos you've never even heard of can be demoralizing. Saving up max credits so you can shoot as high up CL when you cross the 600 threshold to get as many cards as possible and have as many options as possible when you enter the wild world of open matchmaking can be helpful for those people.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I camped at CL594 and hit infinite for free instead of donating cubes to CL3000ers. I am trying to share this information because I am a GOOD PERSON.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's nice that the rank stuff isn't very exciting this season, too. Sincerely.
It's nice to move up the ladder and get some credits and gold and stuff, but I'm aokay not getting the custom title for hitting Infinite, takes a lot of the stress out

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know if there is some kind of official statement about the matchmaking change at CL 600, so it isn't technically fact. But there have been multiple people in this very thread that noticed the difference in a way that goes beyond mere confirmation bias. Just with that one level from 599 to 600. So at this point argueing against it is merely using the absence of an official statement as an excuse to be a belittling jerk.

So all people below CL 600, grind your credits and that easier Infinite rank to your heart's content. Or just spend it on the go. There are benefits to both, it is your choice.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

oh my god

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

uXs posted:

I'm not sure they figured it out yet. They seem to really want players to not have all the same stuff, so they make it outright impossible to buy everything immediately.

Ben Brode is on record saying this.

Zikan posted:

10000, I think.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quiggy posted:

It's also worth noting that winning vs losing has almost no impact on your progression: there's some credits in the ranked track you'll miss out on if you don't hit those levels, but it's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. Yeah losing a lot sucks, but so long as you're playing, you're working towards new cards.

Yeah but there is literally no game besides the ranked queue, and "having a miserable time but progress number goes up" is the most barren wasteland of gaming

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I'm getting frustrated with the game especially today*, but I've also come to realize that some of that is the nature of "collectable" PvP card gaming. You are going to come up against people who have better decks and you WILL lose to them unless you are specifically built to beat them or they get a very lovely draw. This style of game is not fair by design, I think that's been the case since first edition of Magic: The Gathering. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I normally don't play the collectable variety of card games for this reason.

However, one of the advantages this game has is with as many games as we can play and the betting tactic, we can sort of gage our hands and manages our losses and play a fair number of games and get some wins. Ideally.

*But sometimes you have mornings like mine where you are getting THE location that fucks with your deck a ton even if it isn't featured, your counters stay in your deck next to your pay-off cards. It's part of the game but sucks horribly when it defines your session. I am finding myself playing this more like a mobile game: doing my dailies, loving around a little here and there when I have free time and then closing the app till the next set of missions come up.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Second Dinner is aiming to recreate the mythic, nostalgic feeling of being a middle schooler when Legends and The Dark and Fallen Empires were the sets and you only had some cards and other nerds had other cards and there was no internet to buy more cards, so you just play with what you have.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing is up to each player, but it's worth internalizing if you're going to keep playing because it's how the collection model works.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's really not like that once you get all the way to the end of pool 3. You have to whale so hard to have measurably more series 5 and buying series 5 only puts you ahead temporarily. Yes you can lose to glactus and series 5 cards will always have a natural advantage because people can't tech against it as it cant make up a huge meta share but it won't be anything like a CL1000 player going up against full hela discard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Second Dinner is aiming to recreate the mythic, nostalgic feeling of being a middle schooler when Legends and The Dark and Fallen Empires were the sets and you only had some cards and other nerds had other cards and there was no internet to buy more cards, so you just play with what you have.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing is up to each player, but it's worth internalizing if you're going to keep playing because it's how the collection model works.

More accurately they're aiming to recreate the feeling of being handed stacks of money as people keep paying for one more pull at the RNG chance to unpack one of the cool new cards. Salt in the wound is how everything in the shop is in limited rotation to exploit your FOMO so you'll spend your currency inefficiently instead of just buying the cards you want.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ubersandwich posted:

I'm getting frustrated with the game especially today*, but I've also come to realize that some of that is the nature of "collectable" PvP card gaming. You are going to come up against people who have better decks and you WILL lose to them unless you are specifically built to beat them or they get a very lovely draw. This style of game is not fair by design, I think that's been the case since first edition of Magic: The Gathering. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I normally don't play the collectable variety of card games for this reason.

However, one of the advantages this game has is with as many games as we can play and the betting tactic, we can sort of gage our hands and manages our losses and play a fair number of games and get some wins. Ideally.

*But sometimes you have mornings like mine where you are getting THE location that fucks with your deck a ton even if it isn't featured, your counters stay in your deck next to your pay-off cards. It's part of the game but sucks horribly when it defines your session. I am finding myself playing this more like a mobile game: doing my dailies, loving around a little here and there when I have free time and then closing the app till the next set of missions come up.

usually the 'my deck is in a bad matchup' issue in competitive card games is solved by things like sideboards (letting you alter your deck slightly to improve the situation) and playing in best of 3 matches (smoothing out the effect of variance a bit)

this game feels like it's designed around individual matches not mattering much and emphasizing retreating out of matchups you feel like you won't win, which is a bit hard to get used to coming from MTG but is a lot more suited to mobile play. I did feel like it also takes a lot away from actual strategizing during gameplay while I was starting out, but with a larger cardpool available to me now that I'm in pool 3+ and more deck knowledge I'm feeling a bit better about that side of the game. still definitely booting up arena to get my fill of more complex gameplay, but I don't think I'm taking this off my phone anytime soon

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

flatluigi posted:

usually the 'my deck is in a bad matchup' issue in competitive card games is solved by things like sideboards (letting you alter your deck slightly to improve the situation) and playing in best of 3 matches (smoothing out the effect of variance a bit)

this game feels like it's designed around individual matches not mattering much and emphasizing retreating out of matchups you feel like you won't win, which is a bit hard to get used to coming from MTG but is a lot more suited to mobile play. I did feel like it also takes a lot away from actual strategizing during gameplay while I was starting out, but with a larger cardpool available to me now that I'm in pool 3+ and more deck knowledge I'm feeling a bit better about that side of the game. still definitely booting up arena to get my fill of more complex gameplay, but I don't think I'm taking this off my phone anytime soon

I agree the emphasis on retreating helps with this but it's hurt by the algorithm trying to put you in mirror matches. The result is you're more likely to be playing "My Deck Archetype plus the cool cards I don't have". Want to try Discard? You're going to be face stomped by Ghostrider Hela until you unpack those cards. And so on.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tender Bender posted:

I agree the emphasis on retreating helps with this but it's hurt by the algorithm trying to put you in mirror matches. The result is you're more likely to be playing "My Deck Archetype plus the cool cards I don't have". Want to try Discard? You're going to be face stomped by Ghostrider Hela until you unpack those cards. And so on.

Is there any evidence the game tries to put you in mirror matches that isn't posters on the internet who are susceptible to confirmation bias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I found Wave, so I have pretty much everything needed for the meta defining BAERO deck. (Destroy a bunch of cards early, then play Wave on 5 into (ideally) She-Hulk, Death, something else on 6). It is powerful but it has taught me that I am a control player to my core.

BAERO is fundamentally a combo deck. You spend the early game hoping you draw enough destruction and things to destroy. Then you have no real decision to make on 5 and you spend 6 deciding where to put the power. It feels a lot less interactive than all the shenanigans I was getting up to with the Aero control which requires you to be thinking about what they are trying to do on every turn.

Right now Absorbing Man is in my token shop. I am not sure that I 3,000 tokens want him but also the idea of having him as an attentional reveal of key utility cards seems pretty fun (With Sera on 5 you can double Enchantress or Shang Chi. Or you can just Aero, Aero on 5 & 6 etc.