Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/kris_willis/status/1603020366494015488?s=46&t=0yO9ZIxR5enBnNnY_VTAfQ

loving Ozuna can't even get to 700 ops in winter ball. dudes totally rinsed. cut his rear end AA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Apparently the Yankee fallback if they don't get Rodon is to bring back Eovaldi? That is loving bleak.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The Twins should fire the front office and make Joe Pohlad owner/GM.

Then fire Rocco and make Buxton player/manager.

They’d save a lot of money, which seems to be the primary goal of the franchise.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I slept on it, and it's cool that the Giants signed a guy.

I presume Brandon Crawford will play 2nd and possibly some 3rd. He's never played anything but short in the big leagues. Awkward...

Giants infield defense should be a lot better next year.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Brrrmph posted:

The Twins should fire the front office and make Joe Pohlad owner/GM.

Then fire Rocco and make Buxton player/manager.

They’d save a lot of money, which seems to be the primary goal of the franchise.

Are you a new Twins fan or?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I slept on it, and it's cool that the Giants signed a guy.

I presume Brandon Crawford will play 2nd and possibly some 3rd. He's never played anything but short in the big leagues. Awkward...

Giants infield defense should be a lot better next year.

You're gonna love him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrQwb7B9Lc&t=169s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJZlWYeOHRU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Carlos is good and I'm happy for him and happy I get to go to SF and watch him at America's best ballpark.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Peggy Edson posted:

Are you a new Twins fan or?

Been a Twins fan for decades, unfortunately

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Swanson will basically be Jason Heyward and doesn't solve the problem of them having literally no bats in the lineup, but I want the Cubs to give him $250 million just to spend some fuckin money.

They could just give the cubsposters $250 million for their efforts at posting. Better than what they're doing now with that much cash.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Brrrmph posted:

Been a Twins fan for decades, unfortunately

I'm not sure how this is new and shocking then

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MrMidnight posted:

Rodon and Dansby are the last A-level free agents. Bunch of B and C left though.

Somewhat outdated but still a good view of who's left

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1601297448248479746?s=20&t=YmDgHPHbq9u26b6oQCfSYw

Extremely lol that Austin "Literally the worst hitting Catcher of the entire season with a sub-.500 OPS 2022 season" is one of the top free agents left on the board at catcher.

There's a reason Cleveland didn't re-sign him even if they value defense over offense at the plate.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

They could just give the cubsposters $250 million for their efforts at posting. Better than what they're doing now with that much cash.

that's not true, pete Ricketts is going to really be an integral part of the Senate's Immiseration Committee

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

that's not true, pete Ricketts is going to really be an integral part of the Senate's Immiseration Committee

Yeah it takes a lot of money to make enough copies of the trans person erasure bill for every state that wants one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Swanson will basically be Jason Heyward and doesn't solve the problem of them having literally no bats in the lineup, but I want the Cubs to give him $250 million just to spend some fuckin money.

I think he's a more expensive, less fun Javy.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I would like the Pirates to sign Nathan Eovaldi. They won't, of course, but... I would like it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/SNY_Mets/status/1603042124735209472

Conforto returning to the Mets would be a feel-good story and honestly makes sense for them

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
extremely looking forward to the Mets inexplicably missing the playoffs next year

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't get the online rhetoric about how these contracts are too long. I'm guessing most of these teams understand the finals years are not going to get them anything and this is just a way of deferring money. If you release Correa after 10 years, it becomes a contract with an AAV of $35 million. Something that's more than fair for what his talent level is.

Also, in 10 years, a $30 million contract might not be much. A new TV deal would have been signed. You have inflation. I can look back at deals like Yu Darvish which were considered huge investments in talent past their prime which look like bargains now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wonder how long Royce Lewis will actually be now and what his prospects actually are after a second ACL surgery. Will he be still he a good SS? Do we move him to 3B and have Swanson's be A Guy for several years? Like, I was on board with Correa because everyone knew he'd be leaving and he was a splash to be a bridge to Lewis, but now I legit don't know what the gently caress.

I feel like the Twins are just in a loop of shuffling deck chairs for a the next several years. Moreso than usual. Like, IS there a plan?

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2022

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah it takes a lot of money to make enough copies of the trans person erasure bill for every state that wants one.

Illinois has codified both abortion and unionization in their constitution since the Ricketts came to town, so they haven't actually accomplished anything in their home state on the political front.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

I wonder how long Royce Lewis will actually be now and what his prospects actually are after a second ACL surgery. Will he be still he a good SS? Do we move him to 3B and have Swanson's be A Guy for several years? Like, I was on board with Correa because everyone knew he'd be leaving and he was a splash to be a bridge to Lewis, but now I legit don't know what the gently caress.

I feel like the Twins are just in a loop of shuffling deck chairs for a the next several years. Moreso than usual. Like, IS there a plan?

Sounds like they want to try Miranda as the everyday third baseman and see how that goes. I feel like I'd almost rather just bridge the gap to Lewis with Nick Gordon at SS than commit to Swanson long term.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Illinois has codified both abortion and unionization in their constitution since the Ricketts came to town, so they haven't actually accomplished anything in their home state on the political front.

Unionized abortion doctors/nurses hell yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Don't they live in Nebraska? They got one of their failsons elected governor there heh

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well I guess the Astros really are committed to Chas in centerfield long term. I'm still not entirely sold on that despite his playoff heroics.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

The only thing, and I really do mean the ONLY thing, I care about this winter wrt the Dodgers is that they retain Kershaw. Ensuring that he never plays for another team is my highest fan priority at this point. Second is Kershaw reaching 3000 strikeouts, and third is a championship.
turns out Friedman reads my posts after all, drat

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

Well I guess the Astros really are committed to Chas in centerfield long term. I'm still not entirely sold on that despite his playoff heroics.

They're talking with the Diamondbacks on potential trade with one of their outfielders. Probably won't happen though since the asking price is steep.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

turns out Friedman reads my posts after all, drat

It seems like they definitely want to get under the tax threshold, but they still have a lot of cap space to work with. I wonder if they are worried about Bauer's suspension getting overturned.

I'm OK with an austere off-season as long as it means they are going all in on Ohtani next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

Well at least Dusty will be forced to play him because of those heroics instead of Dubon. But I still think Meyers is the long term solution

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

It seems like they definitely want to get under the tax threshold, but they still have a lot of cap space to work with. I wonder if they are worried about Bauer's suspension getting overturned.

I'm OK with an austere off-season as long as it means they are going all in on Ohtani next year.
It's gotta be this.

To which my response is, tough poo poo Mark Walter! You signed this antisocial bigot with a history of harassing women online. It bit you in the rear end, so now you need to suck it up and not use him as an excuse for why you can't spend on players.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just loving sign Uncle Mike again, goddamn. They’ve sat on their hands since the Abreu deal and the free agent pool is drying up quick.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
whats the point in maintaining a 110 win team if you're the Dodgers just to get bounced and watch the Phillies make the world series. they have the money to spend, sure, but they also have like a 20 win cushion on even making the playoffs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know we live in the George era where everyone always has to be getting better but do the Dodgers and Astros really have to be giving out massive 10 year contracts right now? Obviously everyone's got holes and ways they could get better but those are clearly the two teams with the least number of them and least reason to give a massive deal they might regret down the line to try and get over the hump.

Plus the top tier free agent pool is drying up but it still feels like there's a lot of those parts guys left and lots of room for a team to fill small holes in non splashy ways. And there's probably gonna be a bit of a delay where guys like Benintendi are like "wait, everyone else made a shitload of money... can't I?" and the teams are hitting the breaks and trying to readjust the market.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

there should be a cyberpunk baseball video game when you can actively hack other teams with Eckstein123.exe or inject yourself with Future Roids or buy cybernetic elbow ligaments on the black market.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1603133229485137921?s=20&t=BlPRNG1qOPvDhPpR4SRBVA

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
hell of an off season for Sports Writers vs Autocorrect

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

screenshotting in case he deletes it

also
https://twitter.com/ben_lieberman/status/1603137922944958465?s=46&t=DBEb9VhKrTfpiLKKi_25ZQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After belli doesn't bounce back next season

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Gambit is probably the most stonerlike of the X-Men

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know Bellinger has been bad but I didn't realize just how bad he has been. There is upside but he's somehow worse than Heyward.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there any place to see baseball news that isn’t Twitter ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Synergaard to Dodgers no details yet per Passan

^^^ https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/dodgers-to-sign-noah-syndergaard.html