Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

euphronius posted:

Is there any place to see baseball news that isn’t Twitter ?

MLBTR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Gorman Thomas posted:

Synergaard to Dodgers no details yet per Passan

Expect him to regain his prime Mets form

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank toh that is perfect

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

STAC Goat posted:

I know we live in the George era where everyone always has to be getting better but do the Dodgers and Astros really have to be giving out massive 10 year contracts right now? Obviously everyone's got holes and ways they could get better but those are clearly the two teams with the least number of them and least reason to give a massive deal they might regret down the line to try and get over the hump.

I have a feeling the Dodgers have been quiet this offseason because they are going to be making Ohtani an over $500 million contract offer next offseason

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1603163709878280192

God dammit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TBH he was a better fallback for the Yankees if they don't get Rodon than Eovaldi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched him last year. He’s close to being cooked

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

I watched him last year. He’s close to being cooked

He did everything asked of him, worked fine as a starter and reliever, and fit in with the team.

You know you're going to have injuries to the starters at some point, and I really wanted the flexibility he'd provide.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah but if he loses even one more mph he’s jsit going to be a home run machine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Syndergaard had like a 6.3 K/9 last year, which is about as little as you can possibly strike guys out before it becomes untenable. Kudos to him for still managing to hover around league average ERA and reinventing himself as a contact manager but I just don't see how he looks any better unless he figures out how to strike some more guys out again.

That said it's the Dodgers picking him up so I fully expect a peak 2016-esq year out of him next season.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Syndergaard is only cooked in the sense that he isn't Thor anymore. He was a serviceable league average kinda arm from what I remember when he was with the Angels. Didn't quite eat the amount of innings I hoped for but also wasn't a total disaster every start

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said he was close to being cooked . Not cooked

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe him to be cooked.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
no cubsposting allowed on behalf of the dodgers.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Dodgers and Cubs have won an equal number of championships in the last 30 years. Their fans are equally allowed to doompost.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/MikeDiGiovanna/status/1603168503665635328

This would put the Dodgers over the CBT if Bauer wins his appeal. Soooooo, what the gently caress were they holding back for the past month?

This also strikes me as a real test of the Mark Prior Fixes Everyone thesis

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What cooked Noah? Injuries?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TV Zombie posted:

What cooked Noah? Injuries?

Da :mets: baby!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pungry posted:

The Dodgers and Cubs have won an equal number of championships in the last 30 years. Their fans are equally allowed to doompost.

not counting the 60 game season champion, sorry

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doom posting is the easy fandom. Believing is where it counts.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pungry posted:

I meant Cubs fans cubsposting for the Dodgers

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1603182121727643648

8.5 mil with another 1.5 mil in performance bonuses

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

Sounds like they want to try Miranda as the everyday third baseman and see how that goes. I feel like I'd almost rather just bridge the gap to Lewis with Nick Gordon at SS than commit to Swanson long term.

Yeah, if the Twins are gonna blow their money load on a major FA at this point, I'd rather see it spent on Rodon. They should hopefully be fine at SS between Gordon and Farmer until Lewis returns.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
We're approaching the point where the best starter available is Chris Flexen traded from the Mariners.

please.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

not counting the 60 game season champion, sorry
sorry your favorite team stopped trying that year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

sorry your favorite team stopped trying that year

Cubs were actually trying in 2020, inexplicably. We even made the postseason! (and got swept by the Marlins, lol)

It was after that year that the Cubs shipped off Darvish for peanuts to save some cash and began gutting the team.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Syndergaard and Shelby Miller both being aces is going to be hilarious.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Cubs were actually trying in 2020, inexplicably. We even made the postseason! (and got swept by the Marlins, lol)

It was after that year that the Cubs shipped off Darvish for peanuts to save some cash and began gutting the team.
No no, the players didn't try, which is why it's a fake title. Only Dodgers players tried that year. The rest were just going through the motions to cash a paycheck.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll always have a soft spot for the 2020 season (but not the year itself lol gently caress 2020) for the Athletics putting on their big boy pants and shittalking the Astros, getting blown out by them in the playoffs, then turning into.... this a mere two years later

e: If you count the Dodgers in 2020 then you have to count the Lakers in 2020 so 2020 shouldn't count :v:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Intruder posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for the 2020 season (but not the year itself lol gently caress 2020) for the Athletics putting on their big boy pants and shittalking the Astros, getting blown out by them in the playoffs, then turning into.... this a mere two years later

e: If you count the Dodgers in 2020 then you have to count the Lakers in 2020 so 2020 shouldn't count :v:

The Lakers in 2020 was entirely to honor the memory of Kobe.

I'll allow it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only thing during the COVID-19 era of sports I'll actually miss was the NHL Outdoor games at Lake Tahoe. Just a beautiful location devoid of distractions. If only the weather had cooperated, it would've been perfect.

MLB should've played games in weird locations in 2020, like Coney Island.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Does Globe Life Field not count? Can’t think of any other time baseball has been played there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Did they do the field of dreams game this season? I didn't even think about it at all until just now it popped in my head

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
yes it was the reds and cubs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Did they do the field of dreams game this season? I didn't even think about it at all until just now it popped in my head

how fuckin' dare you forget about the epic Cubs/Reds game

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Lorenzen's career SLG is .429. Here are all the Detroit Tigers who had a higher SLG in 2022:
  • Kerry Carpenter, .485 in 113 PA
  • Eric Haase, .443 in 351 PA

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Meanwhile in the Twin Cities sports media there are people seriously and unironically saying they should have sold Correa at the deadline last year. Bear in mind, they were in first place at the deadline.

Just a loser mentality all around. Nordic miserabilists, every last one of us.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

This reminds me that the last playoff game the Cubs won was started by Jake Arrieta

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

maruhkati posted:

Meanwhile in the Twin Cities sports media there are people seriously and unironically saying they should have sold Correa at the deadline last year. Bear in mind, they were in first place at the deadline.

Just a loser mentality all around. Nordic miserabilists, every last one of us.
Kind of tough to say without knowing what was/would have been on offer. If it was like the Cruz deal with Ryan and another future 40man casualty? Nah. Berrios deal, with a top 20 and top 100ish guy? Maybe but probably not. The Soto deal? In a heartbeat (if for no other reason than it would have improved the 22 team AND the future). Obviously, nobody was giving the Soto deal, but there is a level where the deal would have been worth taking.

I do think it's fair to note that Correa's demands were pretty well known publicly (and I have to imagine better known privately), and the team chose to spray a little Tyler Mahle on the raging tire fire of the rotation, hope for luck, and then gamble on nobody being willing to top their offer to Correa. This turning out with no playoff appearance and $285m not being enough to sign Correa wasn't a guarantee but neither outcome is even a little shocking.

If you want to go all in on 2022, outbid the Mariners for Castillo and be all in. If you don't want to do that but want Correa as your cornerstone for the next decade, then outbid the Giants and make him your cornerstone. If you're not willing to do either and that results in you easily missing the expanded playoffs and letting Correa walk for nothing, then you'll have to accept people suggesting you handled it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Paracaidas posted:

Kind of tough to say without knowing what was/would have been on offer. If it was like the Cruz deal with Ryan and another future 40man casualty? Nah. Berrios deal, with a top 20 and top 100ish guy? Maybe but probably not. The Soto deal? In a heartbeat (if for no other reason than it would have improved the 22 team AND the future). Obviously, nobody was giving the Soto deal, but there is a level where the deal would have been worth taking.

I do think it's fair to note that Correa's demands were pretty well known publicly (and I have to imagine better known privately), and the team chose to spray a little Tyler Mahle on the raging tire fire of the rotation, hope for luck, and then gamble on nobody being willing to top their offer to Correa. This turning out with no playoff appearance and $285m not being enough to sign Correa wasn't a guarantee but neither outcome is even a little shocking.

If you want to go all in on 2022, outbid the Mariners for Castillo and be all in. If you don't want to do that but want Correa as your cornerstone for the next decade, then outbid the Giants and make him your cornerstone. If you're not willing to do either and that results in you easily missing the expanded playoffs and letting Correa walk for nothing, then you'll have to accept people suggesting you handled it wrong.

Stop.

Not selling your best player at the deadline when you're the division leader is unequivocally the correct move for a team that isn't run by loving losers. The fans would have abandoned the team in droves and been a BILLION percent correct to do so if they'd made that kind of insane chickenshit galaxy brain move.

This does not change simply because their free agent, shocker of shockers, left in free agency, or that they didn't psychically know that they'd be completely hosed by injuries by the end of the season.

They did not come out of this with nothing. They got one year of the best shortstop in baseball instead of half a year of him plus whatever assortment of guys who MIGHT be good SOMEDAY that a team would be willing to part with to get a guy who's on a rental deal anyway. (It would not be anywhere CLOSE to the Soto price).

Imagine if Bill Smith had the brains to realize that the poo-poo platter he got from the Mets in 2008 wasn't going to come close to equaling even one year of the best pitcher in baseball. They missed the playoffs by ONE game that year. What could they have done with one more crack at the playoffs with a Cy Young Award winner in the rotation? Maybe we wouldn't be talking about the longest playoff victory drought in history if this organization hadn't panicked and been more afraid of losing him for "only" two compensatory draft picks than they were about fielding a competitive team.

You can say that they should've nutted up and made the overpay, sure. Or that they should have looked elsewhere in free agency this year from the beginning. Falvine did a bad job of expectations management to start this offseason and have put themselves in a position where anything less than signing Rodon will be considered a disappointment. But to wave the white flag in the middle of a pennant race that you're WINNING just. Isn't. On. The table. It is not a possibility in the mind of anyone whose brains don't drizzle out their nose when they sneeze.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 15, 2022