Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

1/6 criminal referrals get revealed Monday. :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not smart, what does that mean

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Leave posted:

I'm not smart, what does that mean

Not much. Congress basically asking DOJ to charge people.

And yet another iteration of “serious legal troubles for Trump” news cycle.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

Importantly, Congress does not have the authority to compel DOJ to do much of anything. This is a "pretty please" with, hopefully "Here: have some receipts".

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 14, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT8f0n6E79g

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

for your health

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

GD_American posted:

Not wrong, but it's slightly more complicated. The J6 committee has a lot of under-oath testimony that DOJ/Smith don't have yet. DOJ has always been interested/demanding that stuff, but the committee didn't want to cooperate (mostly because lol Congress).

Now, considering that Smith is throwing a subpoena at any SecState that may have talked to Donnie about anything and/or anyone with a pulse - that testimony is a whole lot of under oath, locked-in stories for the DOJ to chew on.

But yeah, the referrals are just :jerkbag: and it's another news cycle. Whole lotta stuff coming though!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-bid-ban-chinas-tiktok-2022-12-13/

Rubio and a Democratic lawmaker I’m not familiar with introduced a bill to ban TikTok on the grounds that it’s basically a front for Chinese tech surveillance and a massive data collection effort.

You’ll recall that Trump tried to ban TikTok after a bunch of K-Pop teens used it to book all the seats at one of his rallies and effectively ruin it, which is objectively funny. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a huge data privacy concern as detailed by the experts at Proton, who offer secure email and VPN services.

https://proton.me/blog/tiktok-privacy

Personally I’m down with banning the Tok so that way I don’t have to hear another low-effort remix of “Running Up That Hill” with the annoying “TikTok voice” slapped on the latest lovely meme to get reposted on Instagram.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah he's throwing a hissy fit and littering along the border. He's just dumping a bunch of trash out there so that he can later accuse the democratic party of tearing down the wall he built even though they're not actually forming a wall and people can just walk past them.

Hobbs should issue letters of marque to seize and scrap them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-bid-ban-chinas-tiktok-2022-12-13/

Rubio and a Democratic lawmaker I’m not familiar with introduced a bill to ban TikTok on the grounds that it’s basically a front for Chinese tech surveillance and a massive data collection effort.

You’ll recall that Trump tried to ban TikTok after a bunch of K-Pop teens used it to book all the seats at one of his rallies and effectively ruin it, which is objectively funny. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a huge data privacy concern as detailed by the experts at Proton, who offer secure email and VPN services.

https://proton.me/blog/tiktok-privacy

Personally I’m down with banning the Tok so that way I don’t have to hear another low-effort remix of “Running Up That Hill” with the annoying “TikTok voice” slapped on the latest lovely meme to get reposted on Instagram.

Zoomers are going to riot in the streets.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Dem is a rep for Illinois, worked on Obama's House campaign

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

NIF isn't really workable proof of Fusion, but its proof that we can likely create net positive energy in a fusion solution. Its exciting data, but it needs to be verified in an actual fusion reactor, where there's still a lot of tech debt to be addresses like containment methods, etc.

I think net positive energy out of fusion has been well established since the 1950's.

One thing that's been driving me quietly mad with the reporting on it is the "Clean, green energy" angle.

it's Deuterium + Tritium = 1 Helium and a pile of energy. Also, a free neutron. I'm sure that's not going to cause any problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Musk update: We’re reaching Shkreli levels here.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602919258450583552

Withdrawing medicine to own the libs.

Or rather, fantasizing about having enough money to do such a thing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

IPCRESS posted:

I think net positive energy out of fusion has been well established since the 1950's.

One thing that's been driving me quietly mad with the reporting on it is the "Clean, green energy" angle.

it's Deuterium + Tritium = 1 Helium and a pile of energy. Also, a free neutron. I'm sure that's not going to cause any problems.

this seems ok, please install one right next to a twitter server farm

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Musk update: We’re reaching Shkreli levels here.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602919258450583552

Withdrawing medicine to own the libs.

Or rather, fantasizing about having enough money to do such a thing.

OH MAN EPIC TROLL!!!
- A 50 year old CEO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That baby back bitch banned @elonjet.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Skin a nanometer thin.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If Elon's skin were any thinner, he would look like a skinless horror movie prop.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's what ended up happening to Grant Wahl in Qatar: bum ticker that mimicked respiratory problems. He was hosed even if they had a defibrillator on-site:

https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1603019043010908160?t=CMSiTLpnVlHxtRx8Uu9moA&s=19

quote:

An autopsy was performed by the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office. Grant died from the rupture of a slowly growing, undetected ascending aortic aneurysm with hemopericardium. The chest pressure he experienced shortly before his death may have represented the initial symptoms. No amount of CPR or shocks would have saved him. His death was unrelated to COVID. His death was unrelated to vaccination status. There was nothing nefarious about his death.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

OH MAN EPIC TROLL!!!
- A 50 year old CEO

fr lol. Just the most embarrassing poo poo nonstop

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

facialimpediment posted:

Here's what ended up happening to Grant Wahl in Qatar: bum ticker that mimicked respiratory problems. He was hosed even if they had a defibrillator on-site:

https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1603019043010908160?t=CMSiTLpnVlHxtRx8Uu9moA&s=19

drat, dude could have died going for a jog.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Or flying somewhere. Hell, buying an airline ticket even

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
He kinda did everything right - it's possible an earlier doctor visit in non-Qatar could've triggered heart-related alarm bells, but he really thought he just had a cold/bronchitis and did get checked out for treatment.

Anyways, here's a guy that definitely didn't do everything right:

https://twitter.com/davidmarinojr/status/1602881117094297600?t=rhVitHIz59BssMQKsJdlVg&s=19

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/eight-men-indicted-114-million-securities-fraud-scheme-orchestrated-through-social-media

$114M pump-and-dump using social media, discord, and suckers. The more things change!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Pretty sure a triple A is one of those things like commotio cordis that's a coin flip on you surviving even if you're actively receiving medical attention the second it happens.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

That baby back bitch banned @elonjet.

https://twitter.com/nikkimcr/status/1603115408617222144?s=46&t=Vim_SStwVQcnttu4XI4GTw

They’ve also blocked posting the links, including through tinyurl

E: looks like they’ve banned anything doing ads-b tracking

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 14, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mmm boy that speech is just so free right now. Yup, no hypocrisy here.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sucks that dude went to see medical professionals a couple times and was just given a z-pack by the doctors. Guess Corpsemen aren't all that far below the power curve as I previously thought.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Noted ruck marching champion Samwise Gamgee is now civilian aide emeritus to the Secretary of the Army:

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/army-secretary-civilian-aide-sean-astin-lord-of-the-rings/

quote:

Astin previously served as a Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army from 1995 to 2005, representing the state of California.

“For 27 years I’ve been proud to celebrate the men and women of the United States Army,” Astin said in an Army press release. “To receive the honor of becoming a Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army Emeritus fills me with a renewed sense of mission. In particular, in 2023 I hope to support the recruiting command with creativity and purpose as the nation looks to grow the next generation of leaders. People need to know they have what it takes to serve in the Army, and I want to help them understand what’s possible.”

Maybe he can recruit some cooks with his knowledge of po-tay-toes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

Mmm boy that speech is just so free right now. Yup, no hypocrisy here.

ElonJet got banned, then unbanned, then rebanned, as it's hilariously obvious that Elmo is just poo poo-tier forum moderator with money. Also doxxing is apparently "posting a celebrity's current location" now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

ElonJet got banned, then unbanned, then rebanned, as it's hilariously obvious that Elmo is just poo poo-tier forum moderator with money. Also doxxing is apparently "posting a celebrity's current location" now.

With easily obtained public data at that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Just lolling at the can of worms getting opened here:

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/personal-information posted:

You may not publish or post other people's private information without their express authorization and permission. We also prohibit threatening to expose private information or incentivizing others to do so.

In addition, you may not share private media, such as images or videos of private individuals, without their consent. However, we recognise that there are instances where users may share images or videos of private individuals, who are not public figures, as part of a newsworthy event or to further public discourse on issues or events of public interest. In such cases, we may allow the media to remain on the platform.

Sharing someone’s private information:

Sharing someone’s private information online without their permission, sometimes called doxxing, is a breach of their privacy and of the Twitter Rules. Sharing private information can pose serious safety and security risks for those affected and can lead to physical, emotional, and financial hardship.

When reviewing reports under this policy, we consider a number of things, including:

What type of information is being shared?

We take this into consideration because certain types of private or live information carry higher risks than others, if they’re shared without permission. Our primary aim is to protect individuals from potential physical harm as a result of their information being shared, so we consider information such as physical location and phone numbers to be a higher risk than other types of information. We define “live” as real-time and/or same-day information where there is potential that the individual could still be at the named location.

Who is sharing the information?

We also consider who is sharing the reported information and whether or not they have the consent of the person it belongs to. We do this because we know that there are times when people may want some forms of their personal information to be shared publicly. For example, sharing a personal phone number or email for professional networking or to coordinate social events or publicly sharing someone’s home addresses or live locations to seek help after a natural disaster.

Is the information available elsewhere online?

If the reported information was shared somewhere else before it was shared on Twitter, e.g., someone sharing their personal phone number on their own publicly accessible website, we may not treat this information as private, as the owner has made it publicly available. Note: we may take action against home addresses being shared, even if they are publicly available, due to the potential for physical harm.

Why is the information being shared?

We also factor in the intent of the person sharing the information. For example, if we believe that someone is sharing information with an abusive intent, or to harass or encourage others to harass another person, we will take action. On the other hand, if someone is sharing information in an effort to help someone involved in a crisis situation like in the aftermath of a violent event, we may not take action. Note: regardless of intent, if the information is not shared during a crisis situation to assist with humanitarian efforts or in relation to public engagement events, we will remove any tweets or accounts that share someone’s live location.

Sharing private media:

Posting images is an important part of our users' experience on Twitter. Where individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy in an individual piece of media, we believe they should be able to determine whether or not it is shared. Sharing such media could potentially violate users' privacy and may lead to emotional or physical harm. When we are notified by individuals depicted, or their authorized representative, that they did not consent to having media shared, we will remove the media. This policy is not applicable to public figures.

What is in violation of this policy?

Under this policy, you can’t share the following types of private information, without the permission of the person who it belongs to:

home address or physical location information, including street addresses, GPS coordinates or other identifying information related to locations that are considered private;
live location information, including information shared on Twitter directly or links to 3rd-party URL(s) of travel routes, actual physical location, or other identifying information that would reveal a person’s location, regardless if this information is publicly available;
identity documents, including government-issued IDs and social security or other national identity numbers – note: we may make limited exceptions in regions where this information is not considered to be private;
contact information, including non-public personal phone numbers or email addresses;
financial account information, including bank account and credit card details;
other private information, including biometric data or medical records;
media of private individuals without the permission of the person(s) depicted; and
media depicting prisoners of war posted by government or state-affiliated media accounts on or after April 5, 2022.

The following behaviors are also not permitted:

threatening to publicly expose someone’s private information;
sharing information that would enable individuals to hack or gain access to someone’s private information without their consent,e.g., sharing sign-in credentials for online banking services;
asking for or offering a bounty or financial reward in exchange for posting someone’s private information;
asking for a bounty or financial reward in exchange for not posting someone’s private information, sometimes referred to as blackmail.

What is not a violation of this policy?

The following are not in violation of this policy:

people sharing their own private information;
sharing publicly available location information after a reasonable time has elapsed, so that the individual is no longer at risk for physical harm
sharing information that is publicly available elsewhere, in a non-abusive manner (with the exception of live location information); and
sharing information that we don’t consider to be private, including:
name;
birthdate or age;
place of education or employment;
location information related to commercial property or places of business, where this information is publicly available;
descriptions of physical appearance;
gossip, rumours, accusations, and allegations; and
screenshots of text messages or messages from other platforms (unless they contain private information e.g., phone number).

For media, the following are not in violation of our policy:

the media is publicly available or is being covered by mainstream media;
the media and the accompanying tweet text add value to the public discourse or are shared in public interest;
contains eyewitness accounts or on the ground reports from developing events;
the subject of the media is a public figure.

Like this is a potentially bannable offense now:

https://twitter.com/RequiemArm/status/1603088312637730816

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You can bet there are carvouts that will allow LibsOfTiktok to continue, though

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

quote:

Sharing private media:

Posting images is an important part of our users' experience on Twitter. Where individuals have a reasonable expectation of privacy in an individual piece of media, we believe they should be able to determine whether or not it is shared. Sharing such media could potentially violate users' privacy and may lead to emotional or physical harm. When we are notified by individuals depicted, or their authorized representative, that they did not consent to having media shared, we will remove the media. This policy is not applicable to public figures.

Reminder that Elon let Taibbi and Weiss go through people's emails and private messages over the last two weeks, most notably were links to Hunter Biden dick pics which I'd imagine we're not cleared through Hunter. The pulling of said pictures was also touted as "the Biden administration" trampling the 1st Amendment.

Edit: I guess they could go with the "public figure" excuse, but I don't think it's a winning strategy towards keeping big name users on your platform if leaked nudes are ok if one is a "public figure ".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 15, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m going to laugh so much when people get banned for announcing that celebrities are at book signings or award shows.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

He’s gotta be reading private DMs, right? I mean why not at this point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Elmo is just poo poo-tier forum moderator with money.

He’s a worse moderator than this site has ever had, and we’ve had Lowtax and Aatrek.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Platystemon posted:

He’s a worse moderator than this site has ever had, and we’ve had Lowtax and Aatrek.

he is worse than grover

edit : and icequeen

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

You can bet there are carvouts that will allow LibsOfTiktok to continue, though

There are.

Many hours after banning the jet guy he finally decided it’s because someone jumped on the hood of a car with his kid in it I guess?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ded posted:

he is worse than grover

What did icequeen do?

Also gotta appreciate how friends who have zero awareness of the forums love groverhaus memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ded posted:

he is worse than grover

grover was a worse poster than we remember and a better mod than we remember

Baiscally the opposite of McCaine