Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Darren Aronofsky is the James Cameron of fat suit technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I'll get my crying face ready

(It's always ready)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

It ends with him finding the Statue of Liberty, of course.

But with a dinosaur head on it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
All this talk of Musketeer movies, yet no love for the definitive version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssLVKLJ8ojU

Terrible mid-'70s trailer, but ohhhh what a loving ensemble cast. Actually fun and funny fights, a sparkling script, and it feels retro enough to really suit the historical setting.

Fun fact, this movie is why every actor now has a Salkind Clause in their contract, because Alexander Salkind realised he had enough footage to release two films (in fairness only 1.5 good films) and told the actors to gently caress off when they not unreasonably asked to be paid for two films.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Parkingtigers posted:

I love this one. It's my favorite. The casting is impeccable.

That's an interesting bit of trivia!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Parkingtigers posted:

Terrible mid-'70s trailer, but ohhhh what a loving ensemble cast. Actually fun and funny fights, a sparkling script, and it feels retro enough to really suit the historical setting.

Fun fact, this movie is why every actor now has a Salkind Clause in their contract, because Alexander Salkind realised he had enough footage to release two films (in fairness only 1.5 good films) and told the actors to gently caress off when they not unreasonably asked to be paid for two films.

I just learned about that, because I came across the second movie when flipping around, said, "What the gently caress is this?!", watched a bit of it, hated it, turned it off, but had to look up what on Earth I just watched. Such a weird story.

I've never watched the first one, I'll have to check it out at some point. But wow, what I watched of that second hatchet job movie was not good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXejJq5vr0

If the final episode of BSG went MUCH different.

This looks great. I love Adam Driver :allears:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

I just learned about that, because I came across the second movie when flipping around, said, "What the gently caress is this?!", watched a bit of it, hated it, turned it off, but had to look up what on Earth I just watched. Such a weird story.

I've never watched the first one, I'll have to check it out at some point. But wow, what I watched of that second hatchet job movie was not good.

The second film is not great. Some good early scenes with the battlefield stuff but then it flounders badly.

Do seek out the 1973 original though. It's a rollicking good time, rattles along at a cracking pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXTDqV0ToS8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Parkingtigers posted:

The second film is not great. Some good early scenes with the battlefield stuff but then it flounders badly.

Do seek out the 1973 original though. It's a rollicking good time, rattles along at a cracking pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXTDqV0ToS8

Cool, and yeah, my Dad told me the same thing. "Oh no, you watched that one? You should really watch the first one."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It ends with him finding the Statue of Liberty, of course.

No, with him going to the Lincoln Memorial, but it's a dinosaur instead of Lincoln, and also a bunch of police show up, and they're also all dinosaurs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXejJq5vr0

If the final episode of BSG went MUCH different.

Not seeing much feathers in that trailer.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The MSJ posted:

Not seeing much feathers in that trailer.

Yep, pass.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'll end up seeing the Whale because Aronofsky, but it really looks like Oscar Bait: The Movie.

Also directors need to stop using a 4x3 aspect ratio. I'm sure DA has some justification like "the tightness of the frame is meant to evoke the tightness Brendan Fraser feels navigating the world as a large man" or some poo poo but IDC. Knock that poo poo off

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

4x3 is cool but The Whale looks goddamn embarrassing

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love a few of Aronofsky's movies and Brendan Fraser is real good too, but yeah, The Whale doesn't look great! I'm sure I'll see it anyway, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

will always give DA a chance after mother! , dude has always been super divisive though even when he was just making The Bible: LOTR Edition

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

I love a few of Aronofsky's movies and Brendan Fraser is real good too, but yeah, The Whale doesn't look great! I'm sure I'll see it anyway, though.

This is where I'm at. I love some Aronofsky films, genuinely. And I really love the Fraser renaissance. But I feel like this ain't it.

But I'll also wait and see it to find out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Carefully cutting around all the parts where you just watch him eat while scary music plays.

lmfao

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's hints of it in the poster though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t think Aronofsky has done anything even passable really since The Fountain and even that one i’m iffy on so i’m fine with this killing his career

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You didn't like Black Swan?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Well sir, I disagree!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don’t think Aronofsky has done anything even passable really since The Fountain and even that one i’m iffy on so i’m fine with this killing his career

Wrong.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m coming off the top rope like the Wrestler for this post.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Whale seems like just an artsy version of My 600lb Life. I'll pass.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It looks fine but certainly not as good as Doom Patrol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
F y'all I'm all in on a gut wrenching Oscar bait performance that thrusts my own mortality in my face.

Can't wait.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m guessing there’s some kind of cruel twist in The Whale? I don’t trust Aronofsky after Mother!
I also have a large father that has hinged a lot of his hopes and dreams on my success in life so I’m already feeling too many feelings just from the trailer.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

remigious posted:

I’m guessing there’s some kind of cruel twist in The Whale?

rear end to rear end

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

remigious posted:

I’m guessing there’s some kind of cruel twist in The Whale? I don’t trust Aronofsky after Mother!

A meteor hits the Earth and in the resulting apocalypse people will start appreciating the title character. As food.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I’m coming off the top rope like the Wrestler for this post.

The Wrestler was the exact same kind of schmaltzy oscarbait that The Whale looks to be but it was worth it for Rowdy Roddy Piper’s character on Always Sunny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Wrestler fuckin owns what the hell

I understand if you thought it would be schmaltzy Oscar bait before you saw it, but having that opinion after watching it? Come on. Nobody is that cynical

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im lesbian so I like black swan

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm not a lesbian and I also like Black Swan! That final performance is captivating as gently caress. Also holy poo poo it came out 12 years ago.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 15, 2022

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

remigious posted:

Wtf, that spider man trailer making me tear up as a little boy-haver.

Yeah that got me good. I loved the first one and was already hyped for this before seeing the trailer. Can’t wait.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Wrestler was the exact same kind of schmaltzy oscarbait that The Whale looks to be but it was worth it for Rowdy Roddy Piper’s character on Always Sunny

Every post just proves you have some guttertrash taste in movies. Lol

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love this one. It's my favorite. The casting is impeccable.

That's an interesting bit of trivia!

It was originally conceived as a Beatles project with the fab four playing the musketeers

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Every post just proves you have some guttertrash taste in movies. Lol

look i know better than to argue with someone who is both a Snyder Sicko and the president of the Brendan Fraser fanclub.

I liked The Mummy (1999)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Forgiven!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1603389439601950723

Reichardt is good, looking forward to this!