Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is anyone in the thread with EDF for their energy? I'm really confused about the last year with my energy bill not really following the trend and I don't know if I've somehow lucked out or if EDF is taking a different approach or what.

Before the energy crisis I used to pay £52 a month for my energy bills on the basic non-fixed plans. When the first major price rise came in, I got a bunch of offers to fix like most people but decided not to. A few months ago my Direct Debit got increased to about £78. Now I've just had an email from them advising that they want to increase my Direct Debit again...by £3.

Meanwhile all of my family members are getting hit by price increases and demands for their Direct Debits to go up by huge amounts, and I don't really understand why I'm not getting hosed over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Reveilled posted:

Is anyone in the thread with EDF for their energy? I'm really confused about the last year with my energy bill not really following the trend and I don't know if I've somehow lucked out or if EDF is taking a different approach or what.

Before the energy crisis I used to pay £52 a month for my energy bills on the basic non-fixed plans. When the first major price rise came in, I got a bunch of offers to fix like most people but decided not to. A few months ago my Direct Debit got increased to about £78. Now I've just had an email from them advising that they want to increase my Direct Debit again...by £3.

Meanwhile all of my family members are getting hit by price increases and demands for their Direct Debits to go up by huge amounts, and I don't really understand why I'm not getting hosed over?

I'm not with them but a question to ask is: do you give them regular readings so they're better able to forecast your usage? A lot of people don't for whatever reason.
Also I read somewhere that the wholesale price of gas has come down recently?
OR are they taking in to account the £400 govt rebate so your bill would really be £67per month higher if it wasn't for that? I think most companies are apportioning the £400 across 6 months for people on direct debits.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Reveilled posted:

Looks like your bill went up 50%ish which is the same that mine did with Octopus, I was just paying more than £50 a month in the first place which I assume is the case for most people - especially big families.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cat with especially large, stupid kitten:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm with E on a pre-paid smart meter on two tariffs, and I'm getting hit nowhere near as bad as some and we are a super high energy use house. Small company but avoided going bankrupt by being one dude and a dog running everything via an app and government gifted smart meters and a limited number of customers. No standing charge and a lower rate the more energy you use.

If your direct debits are only going up a bit it can also be a sign that they overcharged you in the past and it's been recalculated with the credit in mind.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Warmbanks and hubs will be outlawed when Rishi classifies all groups more than three people as a protest.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"I always loved to make models when I was a boy. The exactness, the attention to every conceivable detail..."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not with them but a question to ask is: do you give them regular readings so they're better able to forecast your usage? A lot of people don't for whatever reason.
Also I read somewhere that the wholesale price of gas has come down recently?
OR are they taking in to account the £400 govt rebate so your bill would really be £67per month higher if it wasn't for that? I think most companies are apportioning the £400 across 6 months for people on direct debits.

I had a smart meter fitted at the start of the crisis, so maybe that's been a factor. EDF reimburse the rebate to me so my net bill has actually gone down to £12 a month (or £15 I guess with this increase).

It just feels surreal that everyone else is suffering so badly; my sister is having to have massive fights with her energy supplier every 3 months now as they try to push up her direct debit way over the odds of what she needs, and there are people out there having to literally huddle together for warmth in communal spaces, and here I am literally better off for this crisis having happened. It's insane that this country works like this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Worst cat picture so far, sorry

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Payndz posted:

"I always loved to make models when I was a boy. The exactness, the attention to every conceivable detail..."

I've still got a kit of HMS Dreadnought that i never got around to building, will do it some day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One good thing though - retired miners still get coal for free from the government, and they are all in their 80s so the most vulnerable. I have a feeling it's because it never occurred to the shower of shits that the miners might have won any victories against thatcher so it's just been ticking over unnoticed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Payndz posted:

"No Prime Minister, this is the exact size £50 billion will get you. It should be ready 2085"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Microplastics posted:

Worst cat picture so far, sorry

Yeah, letting you cats get that fat is abuse!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Reveilled posted:

I had a smart meter fitted at the start of the crisis, so maybe that's been a factor. EDF reimburse the rebate to me so my net bill has actually gone down to £12 a month (or £15 I guess with this increase).

It just feels surreal that everyone else is suffering so badly; my sister is having to have massive fights with her energy supplier every 3 months now as they try to push up her direct debit way over the odds of what she needs, and there are people out there having to literally huddle together for warmth in communal spaces, and here I am literally better off for this crisis having happened. It's insane that this country works like this.

Shell are constantly trying to put mine up even after adjusting it for the price increases because by their estimates I’m actually about to double my energy use compared to previous winters, because they are either thick cunts, evil cunts, or some combination of the two.

I’m almost at the point of becoming one of those freaks who just gets a quarterly bill and pays it instead of doing a monthly direct debit because the constant back and forth is loving me off immensely, direct debit discount be damned.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, letting you cats get that fat is abuse!

otoh it seems to enjoy the box

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Shell are constantly trying to put mine up even after adjusting it for the price increases because by their estimates I’m actually about to double my energy use compared to previous winters, because they are either thick cunts, evil cunts, or some combination of the two.

I’m almost at the point of becoming one of those freaks who just gets a quarterly bill and pays it instead of doing a monthly direct debit because the constant back and forth is loving me off immensely, direct debit discount be damned.

Foreign devils Essen.ON and Electricite de France not massively exploiting people with unaffordable price increases while Shell is. Something something makes you think.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 15, 2022

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

I'm with EDF, when our fixed tariff ran out early this year we moved onto their standard variable plan and our monthly DD went up to 173. They actually directly refunded us the government allowance thingie, and we are massively in credit which is probably why they only increased our DD now to 209. Looking at our smart meter we are using around 10 pounds per day for energy so I think on the whole we'll have some credit left over come spring unless it' l be a really cold winter.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

This is why I was wondering if it's an EDF thing, because that's pretty much the story I've heard all over and I don't know if my avoiding such shenanigans is good fortune or if my energy supplier is actually handling this all in a much more sane fashion. I don't want to recommend my family switch to my supplier if my case is just luck.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

What's wrong with paying quarterly?

They (Power NI) tried to get me onto DD every so often but have always submitted/had it read my metre reading and paid for it every quarter, not fond of DD for things like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

What's wrong with paying quarterly?

They (Power NI) tried to get me onto DD every so often but have always submitted/had it read my metre reading and paid for it every quarter, not fond of DD for things like that.

In an ideal world where Shell aren’t useless pricks I prefer a monthly DD because it means I can budget the same amount every month for the year, instead of having two cheap quarters in spring and summer then two expensive quarters in autumn and winter I need to budget around. It does mean overpaying in the cheap times but then I’m underpaying in the expensive times and it nets to 0, everyone’s happy.

Plus they knock a few quid off for being on direct debit, but it’s literally that - £4 per fuel per month.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 15, 2022

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

In an ideal world where Shell aren’t useless pricks I prefer a monthly DD because it means I can budget the same amount every month for the year, instead of having two cheap quarters in spring and summer then two expensive quarters in autumn and winter I need to budget around. It does mean overpaying in the cheap times but then I’m underpaying in the expensive times and it nets to 0, everyone’s happy.

Plus they knock a few quid off for being on direct debit, but it’s literally that - £4 per fuel.

I'm in the same situation, not changing away from DD though. I'm massively in credit because they've been increasing my monthly charge steadily. I always set it to the lowest it will go on their website, I can't set it to what I want though, they are convinced I'm about to turn on all the radiators full blast and start growing weed, any minute now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Instantly reminded me of this sketch (with apologies for linking to a Linehan related project): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyj5cv5FPWA

Amelia Bullimore plays an excellent Minister

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Reveilled posted:

I am with EDF they are taking the piss with my DD, I salute your good fortune & long may it continue.

I do not have a smart meter (old 2 rate meter, would need changing).

DD is currently 180 for a 2 bed terrace.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So next up is blood banks.. right?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Clothes banks, where you go to put some clothes on (the clothes may not be taken off the premises)

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

sebzilla posted:

Sort of, but a) it happened anyway and b) all the delaying absolutely tanked Labour's chances of winning the 2019 election so overall it was a load of bollocks.

I suppose you can chalk up to him some of the “Tories relaxing and destroying themselves” chaos.

Due diligence never looked so good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Looks like the Bonsai Cats are making a comeback.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Instantly reminded me of this sketch (with apologies for linking to a Linehan related project): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyj5cv5FPWA

Amelia Bullimore plays an excellent Minister

Strong TV show name:sketch ratio

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Question IRL posted:

Looks like the Bonsai Cats are making a comeback.

That's not a cat. it only has one hull

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite

Microplastics posted:

Clothes banks, where you go to put some clothes on (the clothes may not be taken off the premises)

Some groups (mine included) already do clothes banks at our no referral food events. You are allowed to take the clothes away though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Posting about it reminded me, so I just went to get a meter reading to have yet another “look how little gas and electric I’m using and gently caress off” conversation with Shell since it was on my todo list.

The little triangle nub on the electric meter door sheered off in the tool and now my meter is forever entombed until I get some superglue and stick the nub back on I guess

What a day.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Only got access to my meter recently after 10 years. In a block of apartments, and all the electricity meters for the 8 of us are in one place.
As it was locked up by the landlord, for privacy and security, and if we wanted a reading he would send us a pic of our meter and so see none of the others.
But recently he just went 'gently caress it' and its open for us all to gawk at.

And its weird the differences between us. I live alone, and I know there are more in more apartments, but poo poo some of them must running weed farms as well as bitcoin rigs with how vastly more they use.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have enough stuff running in my study that I don't have the radiator turned on. The bill is consequently high.

I put bread dough on top of my quarter rack to proof.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have snakes, the heat from the vivariums is making them amazingly cost effective radiators.

Dude I know who breeds boa constrictors just got hit with a £1200 monthly bill and was about to give all of his snakes away until we told him to check who his supplier was - turns out he had missed the sale to British Gas and was on the automatic highest tariff

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah our vivarium is now in the livingroom and, in combination with the tv and everything else in there that’s electrical, if we close the livingroom door it gets the room up to a toasty 22 degrees without the heating being involved at all.

Every other room in the house is loving freezing but I’ll take it.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Glad I checked the thread and saw this. 200 bux in credit and the graph on their website show me running that up to £500 by November 2024 because of course I'd like to be a creditor to a murderous mutinational.
Best thing is, despite planning to move out in a couple of months, they won't allow me to cut the direct debit enough that we'll break even by February. Gobshites.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ugh, this morning. That's too warm indoors too, have to adjust my heating curve downwards or I'll go broke. Still it was nice to feel a warm floor for once.

Microplastics posted:

Gotta appreciate the symmetry in your heating

Those -30C nights will get real expensive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

why are people paying the DD instead of just paying whatever the monthly bill is at the end? if you submit your meter readings then you only get charged for what you use + standing charge, right? so if you decide you need to save some money you just cut down on energy usage and the bill is lower that month.

the reason to do it is so you can plan a consident budget, right? but if the estimate/average DD is going up to a stupid amount of money which you aren't actually using, then what is the point? these are the months it's supposed to be helping keep down.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 15, 2022