Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am the only person who remember the Xperia PSP phone because I owned one.

Sold it to a goon in Mexico god bless him.

I wanted one of these real bad. Did it actually work as a PSP or was that fraudulent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Saoshyant posted:

I think the Geneva Convention has an appendix specific for offloading really shite hardware onto unsuspecting people.
You buy a sony phone you know what you're getting into

flavor.flv posted:

So GKD has released their answer to the 353v:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004999697648.html

They made a deluxe all in one metal version too, and while it looks pretty nice the price is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7h5AXJe1s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

I wanted one of these real bad. Did it actually work as a PSP or was that fraudulent?

only ps1 and ps mobile games, iirc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

only ps1 and ps mobile games, iirc

Fraudulent as hell, then. Thank you for putting this long running mystery to rest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I wanted this for reasons I could never even explain to myself.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

njsykora posted:

I wanted this for reasons I could never even explain to myself.

You want poo poo that can slide open, like that Matrix phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDki5IVpWfQ

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 15, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

stephenthinkpad posted:

My brother went through like 3 of those. I think he still has it somewhere.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Android phones at that time really struggled with the operating system, never mind stuff running on top of it, and by the time Sony were finished with their software skin the thing was ready to collapse. I know someone who had the previous gen flagship, the X10, at the time and it just looked horrible to navigate and crashed constantly, probably due to a serious lack of RAM.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah HTC's skin ate like every byte of free RAM also, it was a rough era

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

My first smartphone was a Motorola droid x and it ran slow as poo poo most of the time

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nah, Sony just suck at software. HTC HD2 ran fine on every version of early Androids. You can't blame it on Android.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In the early stages of development, the Xperia play and the vita were the same device, but marketing convinced them to split it into two things to target separate market segments

Same people got them to switch from microsd to proprietary memory cards and drop the TV dock before release. They could have beaten the switch to market by seven years!

Or, more likely, it would still have crashed and burned but with the added effect of convincing Nintendo that a hybrid handheld/home console was a bad idea

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
there must be some mass cultural trauma inflicted by insane 00's handhelds that's leading gamers to hoard anbernics

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The PSP was such a god drat cool device

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

uiruki posted:

Android phones at that time really struggled with the operating system, never mind stuff running on top of it, and by the time Sony were finished with their software skin the thing was ready to collapse.
Early Android phones were nearly universally a disaster and a half. The AOSP phones were basically still functional prototypes and the non-AOSP ones (namely, the Samsung Galaxy S models) consisted of a rough-cut port of Android to essentially Tizen devices. And this is to say nothing of the carrier meddling.

Around 2012/2013 is when things started to get sensible with devices that were built from the ground up to run Android and HTC/Samsung telling carriers they're no longer getting favorites.

flavor.flv posted:

Same people got them to switch from microsd to proprietary memory cards and drop the TV dock before release.
It's still hilarious to me that Vita "ROM" cartridges are basically SD cards with a DRM chip, hence why it's trivial to use an actual microSD card on hacked Vitas with a cheap adapter, but the actual user-removable storage had to be some proprietary poo poo.

I mean, Sony knew it was cheaper to manufacture SD cards than their memory sticks. That's the only sensible explanation.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's still hilarious to me that Vita "ROM" cartridges are basically SD cards with a DRM chip, hence why it's trivial to use an actual microSD card on hacked Vitas with a cheap adapter, but the actual user-removable storage had to be some proprietary poo poo.

I mean, Sony knew it was cheaper to manufacture SD cards than their memory sticks. That's the only sensible explanation.

For the Vita to keep a very competitive price against the 3DS, they basically made the difference in accessory sales: both the memory cards and USB cables were all proprietary nonsense, so only Sony could sell them at the markup they would desire.

I imagine it was easy to greenlit this idea to some of the other higher ups with the additional argument that it would make the system harder to crack, too (what with suffering years of the PSP being widely hacked apart)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

beer gas canister posted:

there must be some mass cultural trauma inflicted by insane 00's handhelds that's leading gamers to hoard anbernics

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I own all of these. Not with pride, but with a certain "eh, they were cheap and they would have turned on a landfill otherwise" since I bought them around 2009.

Speaking of, both the Gizmondo and Zodiac had shells made of such cheap, completely lovely plastic, that they have been melting (yes, melting) for the past few years. I have them inside those ziploc bags for refrigerated food, hoping one day I'll find 3D printed shells for both of them to restore them to their "glory". As if anyone cared enough to make those. The Tapwave Zodiac doesn't even have a removable battery, which complicates keeping them working even further.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All Japanese hardware things ran on proprietary poo poo. This is in their culture. I am glad the whole consumer electronic appliance space has been replaced by Chinese/Korean brands which overwhelmingly use open standards.

Now I just need the Japanese brans exit the prosumer cameras market and I can get rid of all my proprietary hardware

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

I own all of these. Not with pride, but with a certain "eh, they were cheap and they would have turned on a landfill otherwise" since I bought them around 2009.

Speaking of, both the Gizmondo and Zodiac had shells made of such cheap, completely lovely plastic, that they have been melting (yes, melting) for the past few years. I have them inside those ziploc bags for refrigerated food, hoping one day I'll find 3D printed shells for both of them to restore them to their "glory". As if anyone cared enough to make those. The Tapwave Zodiac doesn't even have a removable battery, which complicates keeping them working even further.

Are the Gizmondo and Zodiac at the stage of being valuable yet? I know a bunch of YouTubers a few years ago did those THE RAREST HANDHELD EVER videos around them. The Ngage never will be, Nokia threw those at the games press to the point where some old games media people have multiple CIB game collections.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Siiiiide talkin, you're telling me lies. Siiiiide talkin, you wear a disguise

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I saw an ngage emulator in the wild a few years back.

Edit ah yes. https://www.howtoretro.com/what-is-the-best-nokia-n-gage-emulator/

No need to keep fire hazards.

coconono fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 15, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This thread inspired me to look up a playthrough of the Elder Scrolls Ngage game and I never thought I'd say this but I'm impressed

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a Tiger Game.Com Retroarch core?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Is there a Tiger Game.Com Retroarch core?

The MAME core supports it so yes

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
My analogue pocket arrived and I'm playing kirbys star stacker >8]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

This thread inspired me to look up a playthrough of the Elder Scrolls Ngage game and I never thought I'd say this but I'm impressed

Yeah it's actually kinda cool

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I had a similar reaction to the doom rpg lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

Are the Gizmondo and Zodiac at the stage of being valuable yet? I know a bunch of YouTubers a few years ago did those THE RAREST HANDHELD EVER videos around them.

Not sure about the current market for those two. In 2009, they costed me like 20€ each, so I said what the hell, it's a piece of gaming history I guess.

It wouldn't surprise me if things changed, though: the retro market bubble exploded and exploded and continues to explode, and these two devices? As I have mentioned, they can barely stay in minimally good condition since they all turn into goo after a few years, and it's been over 15 since they came out. So maybe their rarity in good condition plus the bubble made them more expensive?

Edit: :lol: of course I could just look it up and guess what? Market went crazy because of course it did. Who even wants this poo poo at those prices?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 16, 2022

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Gizmondo is pretty hardcore collectable (predated Gizmodo). I only have a Microsoft Kin One in mint package.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just printed this case for my Retroid 3+:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5627479

It's great! Super snug fit and clips onto the bottom when you're playing. I would feel comfortable tossing this in a bag.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Gizmondo is pretty hardcore collectable (predated Gizmodo). I only have a Microsoft Kin One in mint package.

Lmfao "meeting sis for retro show"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It took a lot of tinkering but I’m on hotel Wi-Fi in New Jersey playing Turtles in Time on my RP3+ with my buddy on his PC in North Carolina.

No lag and we both get trophies. This rules. Bubble Bobble is next.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Rolo posted:

It took a lot of tinkering but I’m on hotel Wi-Fi in New Jersey playing Turtles in Time on my RP3+ with my buddy on his PC in North Carolina.

No lag and we both get trophies. This rules. Bubble Bobble is next.

Please explain these dark arts.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Can't believe you installed stadia on your rp

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Catching up on this thread and reading about someone using one of their handhelds only for Tetris made me realise just how big a moron I am (for a specific reason this time.)

I got my first (and so far only) retro-handheld thing a few months ago. I took it on one trip in the car so far, in October, maybe. I loaded up the Genesis/Megadrive rom list and played a few games, mainly Road Rash and Columns. I remember playing Columns thinking, "I wish I could play Tetris now," then I switched to Road Rash. I had completely forgotten, while literally playing the device, that it was based off emulation and I had a Tetris rom in another folder. I just sat their playing Columns thinking, "I wish this Megadrive thing could play Gameboy Tetris."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mrenda posted:

"I wish this Megadrive thing could play Gameboy Tetris."

The Mega Drive does have its own version of Tetris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaYZfOC3zpc

Give it a spin if you like.

I got your point, though. When we have been mentally conditioned to one device = one platform we don't realize immediately we can just play them all in one place.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there actually a color version of Tetris that have the good beats from the OG Tetris? Every one I tried is so vastly interior to the GB version. I always go 9-5 and get to the space shuttle.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

roobots posted:

Please explain these dark arts.

Hotel Wi-Fi won’t let you host Netplay but it will let you join. Tested at Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt properties. You need:

-The host to forward the port
-The same version of retroarch
-The same core and version
-The same ROM, literally the same file, we just share a folder in my drop box at this point
-Both people load the game and auto-log to retro achievements, then jump to the menu to host/join

Another thing we did is rig a hotkey to “unplug” your controller. We do this so we can play single player games like Megaman and pass the controller when we die or beat a level.

We beat megaman 1, 2, CastleVania and even Ninja Gaiden this way without cheating. We haven’t tested trophies this way yet, we just got into doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is there actually a color version of Tetris that have the good beats from the OG Tetris? Every one I tried is so vastly interior to the GB version. I always go 9-5 and get to the space shuttle.

Tetris DS, I remember being real good?